Rise of the Triad reboot previewed

As we learned last week, an Unreal Engine 3-powered Rise of the Triad reboot is in the works. Interceptor Entertainment is developing the game, Apogee is publishing it, and Valve will distribute it on Steam.

The guys at Shacknews were lucky enough to get some early hands-on time with the new ROTT, and they published a short preview yesterday afternoon. Their writeup has me excited, especially this part:

But once you get past the engine upgrades, the game is still just as fast-paced and chaotic as the original, with all the triggers, traps and hidden areas in the usual spots. The sound has been upgraded to give a more realistic feel, such has echoes inside hallways. The music also has been modernized, although the option to play the classic 8-bit original will be included.

The trailer that came out last week certainly makes no apologies for the game’s old-school mechanics:

Shacknews says the new ROTT is scheduled for release some time next year. According to Joystiq, the game will cost only $14.99. Now all we need is a reboot of Bungie’s Marathon series…

• HisDivineOrder

I want a reboot of System Shock. And before you even think it, EA, I don’t want no stinkin’ Syndicate reboot for System Shock, either. I want a real, REAL System Shock reboot. Don’t Syndicate this. Don’t X-com this. Don’t change the fundamental heart of what makes it great. Hell, don’t even Dead Space 3 this puppy.

Just take what was great about the old game, give it a new coat of paint and some new sound with the same voice actress for SHODAN, some better voice actors for EVERYONE ELSE, and pop out two excellent games SS1 and SS2 that are modern looking, run well, and are just what we loved.

Do it and money will be pouring out wallets to you. Do it not and money will not pour. It may drip.

• d0g_p00p

Oh man a reboot of Marathon would be epic.

• BobbinThreadbare

Isn’t that what Halo is?

• can-a-tuna

ROTT was great at the time but this just looks like Duke Nukem Forever and probably fails as badly.

• ludi

For fifteen bucks, it ought to do fine.

• albundy

i am so getting this! brings back good memories when gaming was fun.

• NeelyCam

ROTT was beautiful… Some good memories there. Like people failing to dodge a heat-seeking missile, blowing into a million pieces mid-air

• pedro

The Vomitorium was the finest piece of FPS I’ve ever been involved with, even to this day.

Graphics look a decade old, probably one of the reasons for the low price.

However, I’m all for cheap fun games that don’t overly focus on being scripted, cutscene-interrupted, mildy interactive sightseeing tours. I’ll buy it if it’s [b<]fun[/b<], which is really the only requirement for a game. Damn, RotT was fun back in the day.

• khands

From what I understand they’re still working on that pretty hard. You can tell certain textures (especially the people) look really out of place while others look great.

• ludi

Yeah, I’m [i<]still[/i<] trying to play through Just Cause 2. Besides the game having a bad case of consolitis, I can't shake the feeling that I'm playing something that looks and acts a lot like Far Cry but then forces me back onto the rails at inconvenient times.

• sweatshopking

just cause 2 is one of my all time favs. i found it almost rails less. you can beat tons of missions tons of different ways.

• Krogoth

The video had the dual pistols, *real* MP40, Bazooka, Firebomb, Heat-Seeker and Excailbat at the end of it. 😉

I hope the remake has the wacky power-ups.

FEAR DOG MODE!

• l33t-g4m3r

$14.99? Day 1 purchase here. Hopefully has access to new soundtrack.

• Waco