XBMC signs on to support $99 Ouya console

Despite its critics, the Ouya game console is proving to be one of Kickstarter’s most popular projects. The funding drive began in mid-July, and already, it’s amassed 53,000 backers and $7 million. There’s still 37 hours left if you want to get in on the action yourself. For just $99, you’ll get a spot in line for the tiny console, which is powered by Nvidia’s Tegra 3 SoC and Android 4.0. Here’s a new render showing just how small the device is expected to be.

The Ouya folks have also posted a new shot of the controller, which looks like pretty standard fare. One thing missing is a remote. That would be handy for the Ouya’s freshly announced XBMC support. Turns out a third of the XBMC team have signed onto the Kickstarter project themselves. Since the team was already working to port XBMC to Android, getting a version on the Ouya was probably inevitable. Now it’s official.

As a longtime XBMC user, I’m happy to see the developers working with the Ouya folks. The console’s Tegra 3 processor has enough grunt for 1080p video playback, and I hope the chip’s GeForce graphics processor enables some decent-looking music visualization effects. Thanks to XBMC’s robust networking support, the Ouya’s limited internal storage shouldn’t be too much of an impediment.

The Oyua’s controller will no doubt be capable of navigating XBMC’s menus. However, folks longing for a more traditional remote will be pleased to know there are Android and iOS apps for that.

You know, I’m actually tempted to order one of these things now. I’m still not sold on the console’s prospects as a gaming platform, but with XBMC on board, the Ouya should at the very least make a slick media box.

• syndicatedragon

It’s easy to announce things for a platform that doesn’t exist. *shrug* I’ll keep my money until I can actually buy the thing and it really has software support.

• moog

This could be a nice device for a living room. If only they’d put Win8 on it, it would be a lot more useful. That way I could use it like a full fledged PC (more open to doing whatever I wanted) and play more serious games as well.

• HisDivineOrder

So long AppleTV, Roku, Boxee Box, Xbox Lite…

Ouya just shot you in the face with a double shotgun Dick Cheney-style.

• albundy

for $99 more you could get the same specs within a nexus 7 and it comes with a nifty screen. why stay tied down?

• Deanjo

Multiple reasons:

– for media purposes, hooking and unhooking devices becomes a PITA and you don’t want the munchins yanking on cables just to watch a bit of tube

– a game controller could offer a better interface for certain games

– you could use your Nexus or other device while watching a movie or use it as a remote

– it’s half price

– ethernet and storage connectivity

• albundy

fair enough. i think i will wait for samsung’s android tv’s being released later this year. shouldnt be to hard to add a bluetooth game controller to it.

• Firestarter

Wow, pay only twice as much and get a completely different device? It’s amazing!

• lilbuddhaman

I’ve jumped on the bandwagon. I’ll likely never play the thing..but if it can replace my laptop as my “thing I use to put my videos onto my tv” then I’ll be happy.

my laptop will then become my windows 8 test box.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Very nice.

I’m pretty optimistic about this thing’s gaming capabilities. Sure, they won’t be the prettiest games, but there are some solid ones out there for Tegra 3 devices. I know it’s basically just a run-of-the-mill zombie FPS, but I’ve had quite a bit of fun in Dead Trigger. I can only imagine how much better that could be with a proper controller and a nice big TV. Shadowgun isn’t too bad either, although it is a blatant ripoff of Gears.

Plus I’m almost certain that Activision will cash in on this thing with a CoD title. So there’s that…

Oh and I’m sure there will be no shortage of fun, quirky little indie games. We all love those, right?

• DeadOfKnight

This thing looks like an open Apple TV with cloud gaming. I don’t see what qualifies that as a “gaming console”.

• BobbinThreadbare

It comes with a controller.

• Narishma

It has standard and fixed hardware and comes with a controller. That makes it a gaming console.

• jdaven

Another nail in the coffin for the good ole’ days of traditional consoles and PCs.

• BobbinThreadbare

How is this not a traditional PC? Because it runs ARM?

• DeadOfKnight

That would break away from PC tradition, yes.

• BobbinThreadbare

I guess, “PCs” have used a lot of different architectures.

That’s what this a really cheap PC, with an unusual input device and running a free OS.

• BlackStar

Because it doesn’t come with a keyboard and mouse.

• rrr

Yeah, I’m soooo waiting to do programming/web server/database creation/rendering on those boxes…

</sarcasm>

• Star Brood

We can use a good box to play our PAL DVDs as well as our NTSC stuff.

Plus I can use a good excuse to spend this kind of money – the wife loves angry birds.

• Deanjo

Hopefully Netflix will be able to run on this little box, if it ever comes out.

• ALiLPinkMonster

It runs on my TF101 hooked up to my TV at 720p, albeit a little sluggishly. I’m sure the beefier Tegra 3 can handle it at 1080 just fine.

• Deanjo

Ya but the big concern is with it being open if Netflix will allow their app to run on it. Netflix will allow their plugin for example to run on a official chromebook but it will not on a chromeOS install on something that is not an official ChromeOS device. I have zero concerns about the hardware. It would be cool if they allow easy access to the hardware encoder as well. If it does allow the Netflix plugin to work it would be nice to not leave the XBMC interface to gain access to netflix.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Good point. It did take them quite a while to allow it on my tablet, which I guess is considered one of the more open Android devices.

If anything, there are always modded Netflix APKs that may or may not connect to their servers.

• yogibbear

And SOLD!

• sweatshopking

99$ for a decent media box would be ok.

• ermo

Shipping the [url=http://www.electricsheep.org/<]electric sheep screensaver/artwork thingy[/url<] with this by default would just be eminently fitting.

• Elsoze

Yep, especially with XMBC being so vested in it. This little thing might have a bright future.