Day Z breaks a million players, will have standalone version

The modding community has long been one of the best things about PC gaming. Although things have died down a little in recent years, there are still numerous success stories. Take zombie-infused survival game Day Z, for example. The mod for ArmA II has only been around since April, but it’s already amassed a million players.

Despite the fact that the mod hasn’t even hit beta yet, it’s being turned into a standalone game. The announcement was made on the official Day Z Tumblr this morning. Bohemia Interactive, the studio behind the ArmA series, will handle development, with Day Z creator Dean Hall serving as the project lead. Here’s what Hall had to say about the standalone release:

Development and updates of the mod will continue in parallel with the development of the game, so anyone who is playing the mod now will be able to continue to do so. The project will follow the Minecraft development model; fast iterations with the community alpha available for a heavily discounted price.

It’s unclear whether folks playing the mod and standalone games will be able to slay zombies (and each other) on the same servers. However, at least those who bought ArmA II to live out their Walking Dead fantasies shouldn’t be left behind. I’d expect the “heavily discounted price” of the standalone alpha to be cheaper than the cost of picking up ArmA II and the free mod.

Although details are scarce at the moment, Hall promises more information over the coming weeks. He calls the standalone project a fairy-tale outcome, and based on the Tumblr comments, Day Z players seem to agree. Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the tip.

• dashbarron

There’s always Minez too — which for Minecraft owners mean no purchase required to get ganked.

• Bensam123

So, I bought Arma2 for DayZ during the steam sale and was anxious to try this out and as it turns out… it has a long way to go. The zombie combat isn’t really even a active element of the game. That is just there to kill nublets.

Basically this game is all about killing and screwing over your fellow human beings as much as possible. Based on experience in game, time on the forums, and time watching streams that is all this is. The gameplay in and of itself is pretty medicore. While the core of what is there (a sandbox zombie shooter) is a good idea, the execution is pretty terrible.

The game is ridiculously buggy and I can only think Arma2 is actually hindering DayZ as it’s a steaming PoS. The interface is absolutely unintuitive and it has graphics from the BF2 era. Honestly I don’t think Arma2 would even have turned a profit without DayZ and that’s more then likely why it’s functioning as a tie in (one of the head guys for DayZ is a dev for Arma2).

A lot of aspects of this game need to be improved before it can be considered even close to beta and a entrepreneuring developer could easily outright replace DayZ simply by making a sandbox zombie game with multiplayer. There really is nothing more unique to DayZ then that. It’s just the markets so starved for something like this and there is nothing better or even anything in this type out there.

• Noigel

I agree that if you bought the game for the zombies then you are going to be disappointed. They are more a catalyst for the setting than a central part of the game.

Game is somewhat buggy in areas, granted. Not “ridiculously” unplayable though, pretty good for four months of development. Interface is odd… big learning curve.

Don’t really agree with your graphics comment… I think the graphics are just what they need to be: effective. Could they be better? Yes. Do they need to be better? Is it a game-breaker. Not really.

Personally I think direct comparisons of ARMA 2 to FPS games are a bit off… apples to oranges. Would be like comparing a Max Payne game to BF3. Yes, there are similarities but MAJOR differences. Map Size, 3rd Person View, different traveling styles (crawling, ducking, running, different speeds of each)… Arma 2 is probably more comparable to Max Payne/Grand Theft Auto and as far as effective controls… Arma 2’s odd ones are still better, more precise in my opinion.

ARMA 2 probably turned a profit. 🙂 It is recognized first as a Military Simulator, primarily coded with military contracts in mind… recreational gaming comes second.

I think there is a winning formula in DayZ that any “sandbox zombie game with multiplayer” can’t quite reach. We’ll see if I’m right when/if WarZ and Survarium comes out. Both of those seem like they will be “fluffy” in order to approach a larger, more approachable audience. I’m a huge Stalker fan, but early talk of Survarium content scares me a bit.

• Bensam123

‘Effective’ is a nice way of saying completely outdated.

I never said Arma2 was like BF2 besides the graphics being on the same level as it.

I don’t believe there is a silver bullet for anything. Even if a game comes out that better actuates the sandbox-zombie style gameplay, it can still be outdone by another game. Your choice of adjectives like ‘fluffy’ seems rather apt, but yes, turning up the usability and playability like 10 fold would most definitely be helpful.

Really any game company could improve on the whole zombie-sandbox shooter and do better then DayZ is currently doing. I suspect that zombies would be the forefront of such games as well, instead of the craptastic ‘dick over your fellow man’ approach DayZ is taking. There aren’t many people that want to play a zombie game just to shoot at other people who just spawned and are trying to find weapons.

The whole band together against a unstoppable horde and work to build civilization is something DayZ just doesn’t have or provide in any sort of meaningful way. I really don’t think the developers have a vision for the game either as they seem to be sticking with current gameplay.

As far as military contracts go, that seems questionable even if the game is marketed as a military simulator. As far as I know they still use real life training for these sort of things. Maybe selling the game to countries that can’t afford proper real life training.

• becubed

So that would be the US, UK, Canada and others. 🙂
          [url<]http://products.bisimulations.com/customers[/url<] It's not exactly the same as Arma as it has changes paid for by militaries.

• Spunjji

You have this unfortunate habit of denigrating anybody/thing that doesn’t agree with you in your post. For example: “Maybe selling the game to countries that can’t afford proper real life training.” What is that about? I live in England, where we’re apparently so poor we can’t afford to let our soldiers run around in a field. Or something. Surely you can see how that’s a daft thing to say?

Similarly, “‘Effective’ is a nice way of saying completely outdated.” No, it means effective. As in, the terrain provides appropriate camouflage, the lighting gives a good sense of the time of day, characters are distinct from scenery but able to blend in. Effective. Completely outdated = Unreal Tournament. Slightly different. If your opinion is that the graphics are ugly then yay, that’s cool (they are) but that doesn’t actually negatively affect the game in any way, so effective is another thing that they are.

I’d also like to know what insight you have into the developer’s “vision” when we’re still playing buggy Alpha builds. Even I don’t know what they want to do with it yet, but so far I’m having fun running around raiding towns with my friends and not shooting at other players unless they shoot us first. You don’t *have* to be an asshole in DayZ.

• Bensam123

It was a daft thing to say because stating the company rakes in millions or even billions based on military contracts seems quite frivolous at best. If that was the case they could definitely streamline things a lot better and make it more usable (not even looking at the graphical aspect). That was me being nice.

And no, ‘Effective’ is the cope out way of saying it’s completely outdated and antiquated. You know those words they use to dress up ugly things and make them seem better then they really are? Graphics from the turn of the century are ‘effective’ at what they convey, who needs better? It’s completely ambiguous and open to interpretation. ‘Good enough’ is the same side of the same coin.

You can surmise where a developer is going with things based on how they change the game and the direction they’re heading. Is there any indication that the developer wishes to persue a more post apocalyptic zombie ridden game rather then one that’s based solely around fighting humans? Why are guns so sparse? Why are zombies so sparse and completely worthless? Why are vehicles so sparse? There are no combat or gameplay elements to encourage working together besides the zombies themselves.

So, what happens after you get all the best gear with your friends? Do you find the zombie combat challenging? Will you help other new players starting out? OR will you sit on a hill and shoot them when they’re trying to find a gun because the zombies are completely retarded?

• puppetworx

The standalone is good news. The ARMA 2 engine is apparently extremely susceptible to hacks so [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvOGzeRahsQ<]scripting[/url<] is already a huge problem in DayZ causing many people to abandon the game completely.

• HisDivineOrder

That sounds great. I didn’t want to buy ArmA II to play the game. I’d consider buying the thing standalone though.

• TurtlePerson2

The article says that it hasn’t hit beta, but why is that? I thought that a public release of a non-final product was a beta by definition.

This has been bothering me a lot recently as it seems “beta” and “alpha” have turned into marketing terms. I recently saw a game trailer composed of “pre-alpha footage.” There’s no such thing.

• travbrad

Yep Alpha seems to be the new Beta

Beta has basically become a full release now with a nice excuse in case there are any bugs “It’s just a beta”. Gmail was in “beta” until 2009, for example. That’s really stretching the definition of the word.

• bcronce

General rules

Alpha = new features
      Beta = feature freeze
      Stable = bug tested

• lilbuddhaman

Video game world 2012:

Alpha = “Beta”
        Beta = Demo / soft-release
        Release = Time to start looking for bugs, in preparation for “GOTY” edition

• travbrad

By that definition almost all MMOs are in Alpha status. MMOs are always adding new features to keep people playing.

• bcronce

If they’re using “agile”, then it’s constant cycles of Create Features, Freeze Features, Bug Test, Release Current, Create Features….. rinse and repeat.

• Spunjji

I read as such:

Alpha: Known to have many game-breaking bugs, feature-incomplete.
      Beta: Feature-complete, most game-breaking bugs squashed, many trivial bugs.
      Release: (Ideally) no game breaking bugs, feature complete, minimal trivial bugs.

Of course we all know it doesn’t work like that, but there you go.

• thermistor

OK, I know that there is no way to tell someone the *right* way to play a game, however…

I jumped over the hurdle of the purchase, and getting all the stuff patched. It was OK – there is a good balance of info to get it done. Playing for the last week has been a big learning curve – the Arma II interface is in my opinion overly technical and a bit clunky…though I am beginning to appreciate the ability to swivel my head around and look backward while running forward.

I have bumped into several human players, and for the most part, it has been fun. I’ve been given items and tons of good advice, and no bad advice.

But last night, I ran into a couple of fellas in ghillie suits, with more good stuff than I’d ever seen in the game. They were great and loaded me up with stuff as I had just re-spawned. I noticed a few minutes later that they both died, and within 30 seconds of each other. I didn’t think anything of it as they had gone their separate way. Well, I never saw what hit me, and anyone who watched my character for more than a few seconds would see absolute noob moves, but why shoot the village idiot, why?

So, if it turns into a kill fest where malevolent players are far more of a risk than the walkers, I’ll probably check out pretty early.

• BobbinThreadbare

I don’t play the game, but from what I understand griefing people seems like half the fun.

• sweatshopking

SOUNDS LIKE MY KIND OF GAME!

• bthylafh

They shot you for your goodies. It’s something that happens in Day Z, I’m afraid.

• lilbuddhaman

He just respawned though, and the single (or two?) pieces of food isn’t worth the effort. Pure griefing.

• brucethemoose

Funny, I’ve run into 3 people with 2 characters. 1st one killed me, 2nd one had a mob of zombies on his tail, and tried to dump them on me (fortunately, I was by a steep hill), 3rd one shot and crippled me before I shot him right back. All the commotion attracted a bunch of zombies, but I had no ammo, and an axe only works for so long…

It was still fun though.

• JohnC

I agree about in-game GUI – while it’s not that hard to learn it (and the whole inventory system), it’s still not really user-friendly and it’s something the mod developers should really look at if they want to make it even more successful… Also, I do believe there should be some kind of “killcam” system – that should decrease the number of people who are very quick to assume they were killed by some kind of “hacker” or server admin who was using some kind of illegal server command or wallhack/aimbot, although on the other hand it might also instantly “give away” the position of some other player who killed you using legitimate tactics/weapons, so… perhaps it is possible to implement the “killcam” in a way which would satisfy both types of people :-/

• MadManOriginal

Make the killcam footage delayed by some number of real hours so by the time the player sees it it’s no longer useful tactical information.

• Bensam123

From playing this game for a Day, reading the forums, and watching livestreams, this game is all about dicking over fellow humans. You’re lucky to have found such nice people. Zombies don’t really even play into it.

• Spunjji

Counterpoint to that – playing with 3 friends, one of them died (bug with a staircase) and we were awaiting his return when one of us noticed a silhouette out front of our temporary base. Said silhouette immediately began firing (asshole) and took down one of our group. The remaining 2 immediately flanked and ganked the bastard. We took all his gear (loads of food, ammo and nice stuff) and congratulated each other on the removal of another douchebag from the server.

Moral of the story – if you buddy up, griefers don’t have to be serious grief.

Also, if you’re out there – thanks for the gear, George. It’s a pity you’re such a tosser. 😀

• drfish

I haven’t played for a couple months but I will jump on the standalone version as soon as it comes out! I can’t wait to see where this thing goes.

• njenabnit

well if you feel like playing any time soon, let me know! sirl33ts410t on steam. I would love to play with some TR dudes who won’t shoot me in the back.

[quote<]I would love to play with some TR dudes [/quote<] Sign me up! [quote<]who won't shoot me in the back.[/quote<] ...oh.

• drfish