Counter-Strike: Global Offensive pre-orders get early beta access

Valve is making it hard to resist buying the new Counter-Strike game. It’s not just that Global Offensive is already on sale for $13.49, 10% below the regular price, despite going up for pre-order only yesterday. Valve is also offering early beta access to pre-orders, allowing them to start playing a week early.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is scheduled for release on August 21, but Valve says the beta will be accessible on August 14 to folks who pre-order the game. As I understand it, the game has been in beta since November of last year, but access has been restricted to invitees. I was never among the lucky few players to get an invite for the closed beta, despite signing up last fall.

In any case, $13.49 for CS:GO is hard to pass up. As we learned a year ago, the game is based on the latest iteration of the Source engine and features updated versions of classic maps, like de_dust and cs_office, along with some all-new maps. Valve has tweaked the mechanics and weapons and vastly improved the graphics over Counter-Strike: Source, the most recent CS game, which is now nearing its eighth birthday.

Oh, and you can buy the Counter-Strike: Complete pack (which includes all CS variants released to date plus Global Offensive) for $18.69.

• phez

ive heard so much conflicting reports on this game. i definitely wont buy it unless theres some demo or something of that route.

• Ngazi

All you have to know is 1.6 > CSO > CSS > CSGO.

• Jason181

Having played a lot of 1.6 and CSS, they’re just different. CSS looks a lot better, and I personally like it. 1.6 was great since it was the “original” and I can see why people stick with it. Making such a blanket statement on a subjective matter isn’t very convincing. If you play a lot of 1.6, of course a lot of your compadres are going to agree, but then if they like css better, why wouldn’t they be playing that instead?

• Bensam123

I really think Valve is behind the times on what they’re trying to accomplish. This should’ve came out like four-five years ago. Now I’m playing something like Blacklight that has all the split second combat of CS, fun lobbys, updated game mechanics, ridiculously improved graphics, and there is no reason for me to go back to CS. Not to mention the hardcore CS community prevents the game from improving in any way, shape, or form.

This is like Blizzard shitting out a new version of SC after 15 years thinking how awesome it would be, but it’s little more then a face lift with antiquated and outdated game play from the turn of the century (I really can use that here).

• Jason181

There’s a lot of hyperbole here; it hasn’t even been 8 years (not 15), and there is a huge variety of cs 1.6 and css based servers with full conversion mods as well as many little tweaks to gameplay, and everything in between.

One of the things that keep 1.6 and CSS popular is that they don’t make the system requirements sky high because in a twitch shooter like this, fps matters… a lot. That’s not to say that you aren’t enjoying, and may prefer Blacklight to 1.6, CSS and CS:GO, but measuring the time between releases isn’t really an accurate way of evaluating a game.

• Bensam123

The 15 years was talking about SC.

Mods are not the same as base gameplay.

You can turn down the graphics in games like Blacklight. No one forces you to put all your settings on maximum.

I wasn’t trying to make a point of the amount of time between releases, rather that they’re late to the party for what they offer. The world has moved forward without them and they aren’t trying to keep up.

• BobbinThreadbare

“The world has moved forward without them”

100,000 people still play some version of Counter-Strike every day, and is the 3rd and 4th most played played games on Steam. So no, the world hasn’t moved forward. You might have, but you don’t speak for the entire world.

• Bensam123

Considering Steam doesn’t have numbers from the other major FPSs and incomplete numbers from some of them, that doesn’t mean a whole lot. Games like Blacklight and CoD can be launched without steam and steamless versions are sold. There isn’t a steamless version of CS.

Oh, and BF3.

‘Some version of CS’. I wonder what would happen if you added up all the revisions of BF, CoD, and MoH… Don’t mistake Steam for being the world brain that knows everything that happens as far as statistics go in the game world.

• Jason181

[quote<]...new version of SC after 15 years[/quote<] Then why did you even mention the timeframe? Don't "antiquated" and "outdated" initimate that you are judging based on time? Considering 1.6 and CSS are #3 and #4 on the list of most-played games [b<]today[/b<], don't the facts belie your assertions? I personally can't stand lobbies; I want to play, not wait, and what good are "ridiculously improved graphics" if you aren't using them? If you're not a fan of 1.6 and css, that's fine, not everyone is. But projecting your opinion onto the whole world is a bit presumptuous at the least.

• Bensam123

Look at my response to Bob for statistics based on Steam.

People other then you play the same game, just because your hardware is ancient doesn’t mean everyones is (that’s a really egocentric assertion).

‘Lobbys’ was talking about the wait in between matches or while dead. CS has them too.

I played CSS for a year and a half, that was about six years ago though. Times have changed. Game developers have moved on and improved their gameplay.

Yuh… the world continues to move even if games or people sit in one place. Too little too late.

• yogibbear

I pre-ordered it… but am disappointed that there’s no nightvision or silencers yet…

• yogibbear

Seriously tell me why I am thumbs down for this??? TELL ME!!!! YOU PIECES OF SHIT!

• Duck

Because you pre ordered a game?

Because you pre ordered a game that is shaping up to be a big disappointment?

• Xenolith

Because your post sounds whiny.

• yogibbear

You do realise what no nightvision means? No dark disco maps!!!!

• Xenolith

That changes everything, my apologies.

• Game_boy

I really want this to take off like SC2, LoL and DotA2.

ESPORTS!

• Digex

BF3 > CS crap

• lilbuddhaman

you’re dating yourself (ie: young). Though I’ve heard this version of CS is junk.

• Game_boy

There’s no professionally played shooter at the moment since MLG stopped Halo. If CSGO brings a shooter back to the circuit it doesn’t matter how casual it is.

• DarkUltra

Hmm.. any improvements in audio quality? I remember Battlefield 3 had incredible audio compared to its predecessor. Crysis 2 also has awesome sound.

• Bensam123

I wish.

• Mightyflapjack

I really hope this version stops the hacks.

I remember back in the CS:S days, there were about a million OpenGL hacks from X-ray vision, to auto-target, speed hacks, etc. It ruined the game for me, and every server I was on was using the valve ‘hack protection’ that didn’t work worth a crap.

Just the servers with active moderators ready to ban people were playable, and those servers were always full.

However, if they turn to that horribly useless, invasive, and buggy “GameSpy” to prevent hacks I will simply not buy the game.

EDIT: I would rather they just plain disabled OpenGL and used DirectX exclusively as it seems much harder to hack (IMHO).

• bcronce

“I would rather they just plain disabled OpenGL and used DirectX exclusively”

Hard to do that when they’re making a Linux native client. Linux doesn’t have DirectX, so OpenGL support is a requirement.

• BloodSoul

You can’t have your cake and eat it to. Hackers will always exist in online gaming, if you want to lessen (you’ll never get rid of them) their efforts you’ll have to accept the use of annoying programs like game guard/gamespy.

As bcronce said, OpenGL is needed for none-Windows clients… tough luck 🙁

• bcronce

I agree, OpenGL may be a current “easiest” target, most bang for you buck, but there will always be an exploit.

I plan on hosting my own server once I get fiber. Will help with that “those servers were always full”.

• Bensam123

I disagree, in addition to stepping up their game on the computer front there is always the behavioral approach that no game company, developer, or anti-cheat tech maker has looked at to this date. the one company that did was bought out and the tech was burried.

• Forge

There were plenty of D3D-based hacks, too, particularly later in the timeline. OpenGL was just better documented and easier to hook into with off-the-shelf code.

• torquer

Run your own server and then boot anyone you believe is hacking/better than you :p

This happens in BF3 all the time, of course most of those folks just assume anyone who kills them is hacking.

That being said, hacking is quite widespread in online gaming, particularly amongst FPSs.

• travbrad

It’s definitely widespread in FPSs, but it does seem to be much more common in CS than pretty much any other game. They do very little to actually prevent it. Their “anti-cheat” system fails to detect hacks that are years old.

• torquer

Very true – I’ve seen it as well

• Bensam123

This is untrue… Basically the amount of hackers is correlated to the number of people that play the game. As long as admins are allowed to patrol their own servers that keeps all the majorly unfun hacks away (such as aimbots, spinbots).

That aside, basically any big name game suffers all these problems… I would say hacking is more prevalent in BF3 for example. Due to the fact that there is no good way to observe people in that game it makes subjective banning by admins loose at best.

• bcronce

I’ve helped admin a server back when I was young enough to be great at the game. People being better than me was never the issue, it’s trying to determine the difference between a string of luck and cheating.

I’ve had my fair share of “omg, how did I do that?!” moments.

Back when I started playing CS, there were literally 5 servers and 3 of them were empty. It has grown a bit since then. That’s back when my Voodoo2 12MB was still awesome and my Aureal A3D sound card was almost like cheating.

• Bensam123

They’re still around and prevalent. Most people don’t use aimbots or spinbots as it gets them banned immediately by server admins. This really goes for any game out there. They all suffer from piss poor cheat detection.

As far as I know, there isn’t a correlation to hacks being used in OGL or DX. Both suffer hackers and neither are harder to hack then one another.

• Duck

[quote<]In any case, $13.49 for CS:GO is hard to pass up.[/quote<] No, it's really easy to pass up. Counter-Strike: Source is there if you want it for -66%. [quote<]the game is based on the latest iteration of the Source engine and features updated versions of classic maps[/quote<] It features modified versions. "Updated" makes it sound better. [quote<]Valve has tweaked the mechanics and weapons and vastly improved the graphics over Counter-Strike: Source, the most recent CS game, which is now nearing its eighth birthday.[/quote<] Valve hasn't done that. They are busy on something else I expect. It's being developed by HPE instead. The graphics are terrible and nowhere near as good as they look in the screenshots. It is surprisingly flat and bland. They butchered it IMO. Very un-Valve like, and to the detriment of the game. The sound samples are not what I would call acceptable either. I expect better from amateurs, sharing their samples for free. As bad as it is, it's made even worse by the taint of consolization. Although I should add I've not played the game in a several months by now. Maybe it's changed radically, but I doubt it.

• Sargent Duck

I stopped playing shooters after Modern Warfare 4 as all the shooters just got too similar.

But this promises something very different. tempting. Oh, so tempting.

• Airmantharp

I think DICE might disagree with you.

• anotherengineer

13.49……must resist……………………..see you in the beta Cyril

• Jason181

Another $13.49 into Steam’s coffers. See you in the beta fellas.

• anotherengineer

double post, slow internets…………….