Eye candy abounds in Crysis 3 trailer

This morning’s dose of graphics eye candy is brought to you by Crytek. The developer has released a CryEngine3 Tech Trailer that shows in-game footage from Crysis 3. Without further ado, here’s the embedded video:

Ooooh, pretty. The trailer highlights numerous graphical effects incorporated in the new engine, including volumetric cloud and fog shadowing, pixel-accurate displacement mapping, and all sorts of nifty lens and lighting tricks. The tessellated foliage looks particularly detailed, at least in comparison to those concrete barriers we saw in Crysis 2. I’m not sure what’s up with the toad, though.

Crysis 3 is due in February of next year, so it’s not too far off. If the finished product looks anything like the trailer, I may have to pick up the game just to walk around and admire the scenery. I’ve always wanted to wander around the set of Life After People.

• DavidC1

Now for those of you that criticize that Crysis didn’t look like on the game as on the tech demo…

Well, you can get mods that fully enable the features the engine enables so it does look like the tech demos. The actual game renders it down because the full effects are too demanding.

Though, they are not pushing for a more realistic experience, but more cinematic one. It’s debatable if playing through the eyes of a character that has characteristics of a camera lens is a good experience or not, but all the developers are doing it.

But maybe that’s the point. Ultra-realistic games wouldn’t be fun at all, just like ultra real movies are called documentaries.

• south side sammy

sun flare or glare is the suns rays themselves. No contact with glass……. how often do you see sunshine reflecting off glass of any kind in any game. Watch the video again. The only reason I mentioned visor below is because it’s a hindrance and totally unneeded, and takes away from the game. Another doodad somebody thought would look cool but it fails.

and whether you know it or not, there are other ways to play with light to create the same effect without stupidly blinding the player.

• ronch

All those fancy graphics tech look and sound cool but.. When are we gonna have photo-realistic graphics?

• Krogoth

Nice tech demo.

How about making a game that is “fun”.

• albundy

hah! right on time with the Toadies releasing their new album!

the ending showed it being ported to consoles. how is a decade old console going to match these graphics?

in any case, this is getting closer to making it harder to distinguish from reality.

• Meadows

[quote<]"how is a decade old console going to match these graphics?"[/quote<] It isn't.

• CampinCarl

Kill the lens flare. Kill it with fire, brimstone, and anything else you can kill it with.

• moose17145

I totally agree with you about the lens flare… but I suppose I can think of a situation in which it makes sense to have it. Since this is supposed to be a first person shooter, and since the main character is wearing a helmet, one could argue that the lens flare is happening because you are looking through the visor of your helmet (thus the sunlight is flaring because of having to travel through that lens) so it would make it more like what you would actually be seeing if you were to be wearing a helmet like that. Obviously though in real life companies work their butts off trying to minimize things like lens flare because it obscures what you are trying to look at…

• Meadows

They could make it a lot more pale according to what you say, but then gamers would accuse them of wasting computing cycles on something that can barely be seen.

• SPOOFE

[quote<]one could argue that the lens flare is happening because you are looking through the visor of your helmet[/quote<] No, lens flare happens in the matter shown because of the [i<]multiple[/i<] pieces of glass that make up a lens, sometimes well over a dozen. A single layer of glass (or whatever transparent material used in the character's helmet) wouldn't flare as demonstrated. Further, lens flares are round because lens elements are round; the protagonists visor would also have to be circular in order to produce nice round lens flares. It's an attempt to look "cinematic", which means they should only use lens flares during cinematics, or if your character is using a camera or scope.

• Bensam123

Yeah, not a huge fan of filters… That was part of a darker time in graphical development.

Lens flare, motion blur, depth of field… Really anything that tells you that you perceive something in a certain way instead of letting you perceive it that way. Crappy BS they came up with when they didn’t know what else to add to games and it still persists today.

Oh and HDR when it’s not done properly (which it isn’t most of the time) and it scorches your retinas every time you move from one shadow to another. Waaaay overdone most of the time.

• Meadows

DOF can be argued for or against, but motion blur really isn’t a subject of valid argument. It’s necessary for realistic graphics.

• south side sammy

This goes back to one of my earlier posts. They’re too intent on loading you down with BS instead of investing their time and money giving a good long playing SP experience. Do we need motion blur ? Do we need sun flares ? Do we need cut scenes ? Do we need “bloom ? All of which I turn off when possible…….. and there have been games in the past where I hacked to kill the sun flare. Who are the morons that think players want to be blinded or had dirty or foggy or scratched or water running down them visors. ? Dump all that garbage. They’re getting too far away from simplicity.

• Bensam123

I disagree. I believe you will still be subjected to motion blur regardless of the game putting it in. Your eyes in real life will add motion blur if they can’t keep up with how fast stuff is happening in the game.

The difference is the game is telling you what your limitations are instead of you experiencing them yourself.

Like I said all those filters are just self imposed limitations the developers think you should have. Like aiming down a gun. If you’re concentrating on part of the screen then the rest becomes blurry. Why would you need the game to tell you that? All it is saying is you’ll die because the game seems to think you can’t focus anywhere else except where it tells you to.

• jamsbong

“Top Secret Tessellated Toad Tech” @2:22

LOL!

• ImSpartacus

It was pretty hawt, amirite?

• ALiLPinkMonster

dayum. I really hope the game plays as good as this demo looks. I played the campaign in 2 for like… five minutes? Multiplayer had a lot of potential but it was ruined by those tiny little maps.

Loved the first one though. If FarCry 3’s trailers are any indication, they seem to have remembered their roots and are going for a more PC-friendly experience. Hopefully that applies here, too. Huge, beautiful open worlds FTW.

• voodootronix

FarCry and Crysis have nothing to do with each other these days however…Ubisoft bought the FarCry franchise from CryTek a long time ago.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Oh. Well… nvm then. That’s really lame.

• holophrastic

Ok, now the sound is detracting from the visuals. I think it’s time they work on real-time sound effects. That bird flapping at the start of the video is WAY off.

But yes, very pretty.

• chuckula

Skeletal Models Background Mattes
    Lens Flare! Lens Flare!

Tesselated Objects Particle Effects
    Eye Candy Doo Da Day.

Can you see the Gator?
    No there’s too much Water.

Getting lost in Volumetric Fog
    Lens Flare Eye Candy Doo Da Day….

• internetsandman

Dear god, I think that’s the first tech demo that actually made my jaw drop, when it went to the sparks illuminating the water and the ripples on the steel mesh, and the helicopter landing sequence, that was actually amazing

The toad was pretty awesome as well. But I really hope the gameplay quality is on par with the graphical quality, otherwise, like a model, it’ll be pretty but have no personality to back it up

• brucethemoose
    • mark625

Yeah, but can it run Crysis? I definitely want to see Crysis3 characters playing Crysis when they’re not busy catching toads.

• Grigory

Awesome! Finally a game that makes good use of DirectToad!

• Bensam123

Now THAT is what I expect out of a Crysis title. Not the fiasco we had with Crysis 2 wanting to be made for seven year old hardware.

I will give Crytek serious props for this. Not because they’re making something that looks pretty, but during the time period in which other engine developers have sat on their collective asses they have spat out TWO brand new engines with games on top of them. The funny thing is this will more then likely hit before UE4 comes out or whatever ancient concoction of the new Source engine Valve will come up with. It’s just plane outright silly.

Silly developers and pandering towards consoles. If anything is dead, it’s that hardware.

• Bensam123

Oh and where is the ‘console video games look as good as PCs’ BS that normally chimes in with examples like Devils May Cry? XD

• Xenolith

I can’t wait for Daikatana 2 !! The lens flares !! The lifelike robotic frogs !!

• BobbinThreadbare

Dear EA and Crytek:

Please make the game an open world, please reward the player for being creative, please don’t make it a rail shooter.

Bobbin

• south side sammy

you forgot the part to give me enough ammo to play the game………. so I can enjoy the “game”……….. it is a “game” you know.

• south side sammy

you’re right. I’ve been spoiled by the open world environment too. Hate linear game play.

• DeadOfKnight

Half life and bioshock are pretty amazing linear shooters.

• BobbinThreadbare

I agree on Half-Life, I found Bioshock got repetitive as a shooter after a while.

However, Crytek has never shown the level design chops and certainly never the story telling ability to build a compelling linear game. So they should stick to open environments which they have done very well twice.

• south side sammy

n I never played HL and I didn’t like Bioshock. … another game I didn’t finish.

maybe it’s too much trickery……. too many buttons to push…….. too many control options………. give me a few different weapons and leave me alone……….. I bet I’m the only @hole that played Crysis and didn’t go into invisible mode. I just want simplicity……… things just seem to idiotically get more and more contrived.

• stupido

[quote<]I'm the only @hole that played Crysis and didn't go into invisible mode.[/quote<] and I played it almost invisible & bare hands... lolz

• Srsly_Bro

But with no rail we’ll get lost!!! Oh Nooooezzz!

• sweatshopking

Are they porting it to Macs? If they are, your post is accurate.

• webs0r

Seems unlikely though. They’re more interested in making pretty visuals that you are forced to look at while you are on the rail.

• glacius555

Looks kinda cartoonish to me. Not that I really care how the game looks, but the trailers of BF3 seemed closer to what I’d say natural or real. Choice of colors and lights perhaps?

• sweatshopking

looks great, but so did the cryengine 2 demos until you got to the game. the tech looks great, the games don’t look as nice. The gameplay is also uninspiring. we’ll have to see if they solve those issues. I want open world back, lose the corridors.

• Beelzebubba9

…does anyone else here just want a 3D demo to wander around that world and play with wildlife, or am I just getting old?

• indeego

I want games that go beyond violence with other creative solutions.

• BobbinThreadbare

One of the more fun aspects to Crysis was how you could accomplish so much with stealth.

• Grigory

I’d settle for creative violence.

• Srsly_Bro

Mirror’s Edge was pretty creative, I thought. However, I don’t think it was well received by many. Many people whom I’ve spoken with disliked the game.

• Haserath

I will grab my unicorns, we will ride into battle yelling balderdash, then we will discuss the situation peacefully over some toads.

• internetsandman

Portal 1 and 2 and…..deus ex? was it that one? Those are the only games that come to my (inexperienced) mind

• debido666

Toad Grenades.

• ClickClick5

CryToad.

EDIT: Our proprietary ToadTek. And with our bears, FurTek.

• [SDG]Mantis

…and let slip the dogs of war.

• yogibbear

Okay but where is the 95% naked elf chick? ……

• SoM

i see you’re using the naked mod for skyrim πŸ™‚

The downdraught from the helicopter on the vegetation is pretty impressive at 2:16 , as is the particle-effect lighting just beforehand.

• khands

Still a little off but way better than most everything else out there.

• PrincipalSkinner

Toad outstaged the suit!
    I want moar toads in Crysis 3.

• Silus

And these are the companies that really move PC Gaming forward! Without them we would be stuck with Xbox 360 / PS3 graphics (and corresponding hardware) for decades and decades…

Kudos Crytek! You make PC Gaming evolve and not stagnate!

• Washer

What the… oh wait you must be trolling. There’s no way you actually believe what you wrote.

• Bensam123

Just because they don’t have epic gameplay doesn’t mean they don’t have epic graphics. Some people seem to think that graphical fidelity isn’t worth recognizing in and of itself for some reason. It may not make for an extremely good game, but it’s most definitely praise worthy.

• RenatoPassos

^ Agreed. +1 to you.

But don’t forget the guys at CD Projekt Red and their The Witcher 2. Their engine looks and plays damn good for a first attempt – and it’s better than some engines from more experienced companies…

Great art + great tech + originality + good gameplay = win.

• yogibbear

They should have started with the foliage bit… then have David Attenborough on voice over chime in…”David Attenborough here… we’ve just found a new species of toad and are viewing it in its native environment” then have a dude in a nanosuit squish it with his fist. And BAM!…..

• sschaem

Looks amazing! cant wait to play that with a VR headset πŸ™‚ (I most likely endup chasing those butterflies:)

• south side sammy

I had a tough time deciding whether or not to purchase Crysis2. never would have if it weren’t $10. Started to play and never finished. Now we have Crysis3………. you can make these as pretty as you want. I’m Crysis’ out.

I want something NEW. I want something that’s NOT tied to the net to work.

• lilbuddhaman

Maybe in level 2 a dinosaur pops out and then we can just officially call this Turok ?

• anotherengineer

Turok had cooler weapons………..like the cerebral bore goto 49s
        [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXHw9JChIAY&feature=related[/url<]

• Joerdgs

Oh god why doesn’t Crytek buy the Turok IP and just roll with that. It’d be much more interesting. I’m hoping after nazis, russians, terrorists and aliens, that dinosaurs waltz their way into some game antagonist roles again. There’s just so much potential.

• JMccovery

I would love to see the first Turok game re-done with Cry Engine 3. Dinosaur and human gibs abound, all in spectacular HD!

• sweatshopking

did you play the most recent turok? god, what a horrible purchase that was, and i only paid 1.50 for it.

• rae

The end of the trailer said there was offline play.

• south side sammy

missed that, but no internet connection means let me install the game and play it. no net connection needed for anything and if there are updates, let me go on the net to download and install them……….. no internet what-so-ever….. like back in the “olden days”……… like a just a few years ago.

• moose17145

Not sure why you were downvoted for that. But i fixed it.

I completely agree about not needing the internet for anything what so ever. I still go several places where i dont have internet at all. Usually its in those environments that i would most like to kill some time with a decent game… but anymore with bs games like bf3 needing a consant on net connection i couldnt play that companies game even if i wanted to. Just frustrating to see companies shooting themselves in the foot and punishing legitimate buyers by requiring always on internet for single player stuff.

Honestly i miss a lot of the old sierra games like pharoah/cleopatra and ceasar III. Would be nice to see some modern versions of those types of sandbox games made modern. But whatever… just my extremely tired from just getting off work thoughts on the matter…

• south side sammy

never saw it.. LOL…….. thanks

another big thing is no modding or mapping for a person like me……… makes you feel like the game was worth it. Not something too many people consider……… but I like to take it to the limit sometimes and delve into things…. obsessive/compulsive I guess.

then you have the mapping and modding tools but your work is stored online vs on your own computer and it’s made to look like they did you a favor.

I like to play LAN with friends. Nothing like sitting in a room with 8 or 12 other people/and then there’s serving………. what happened to that.?

there’s my early morning rant…….. time to get motivated……….

• moose17145

I have never personally gotten much into game modding, but i do like games you can easily mod. I love being able to download others work and see what they came up with. Some of it is seriously impressive.

And yea… seriously wtf did ever happen to lan play?!? It used to just be a given that games would have a lan option for multiplay… now its like it doesnt exist anymore! If im at a lan i dont wanna run through their stupid laggy servers so i can play with the person sitting literally 5 feet from me! Besides that, half the time our lans dont have internet anyways. Last time a bunch of us had a lan we went to my parents cabin out in the sticks for a whole week. Gaming, fishing, drinking, more gaming, bbq… it was a seriously fun week. And not once did we ever have access to the internets.

• khands

They own the Time Splitters franchise right? Would love to see a cry engine version of that!

• seawolf1118

very impressive, this would be a good reason to upgrade my system from 4 year old AMD Phantom processor to something new and from 6950 to may be 8xxx series, which I suspect would be becoming out either end of 2012 or early 2013!

• sweatshopking

Phantom? is it a top secret cpu?

• seawolf1118

its Phenom, thnx for catching that, this processor is so old, I forgot the correct name πŸ˜‰

• designerfx

it’s vaporware until it’s released to the public at large.

• Hattig

Pwetty.

• Musafir_86

-That toad is more real than any real toads I ever encountered in real life!

• khands

I was going to say it’s a bit too bumpy, like its got a disease of some sort.

• BiffStroganoffsky

That is probably the secret – the bumps are laser turrets!

• Alexko

Yup, it has tessellatis.

• Duck

LOL

• l33t-g4m3r

looks like some hybrid horny toad, which is actually a lizard and brown.

• Bensam123

TeslaToad!

• ronch

That’s because this toad is rendered in DirectX 11. Real toads are… just plain real toads.