A Mac version of Origin is on the way

As determined as ever to boldly go where Valve has gone before, EA has revealed that it, too, is going to bring its game distribution and social gaming platform to the Mac.

As Shacknews reports, EA Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore made the announcement at Gamescom 2012 yesterday. Moore apparently neglected to mention a release time frame or a list of launch titles. However, Shacknews says he added that Origin will also make its way onto Android devices and Facebook, and that players can look forward to both free-to-play games and achievements on the platform.

Looks like EA is still playing catch-up. Steam came out for OS X two years ago, and Valve rolled out Steam client apps for Android and iOS back in January. The apps don’t let you purchase mobile games, though; they merely replicate some of the functionality of the PC and Mac clients.

Oh, and Steam has had both achievements and free-to-play titles for some time now.

Still, it’s nice to see Mac gamers getting some love from industry heavyweights like Valve and EA. GPU upgrades are a no-no on most of Apple’s machines, but a number of Macs do ship with passable graphics solutions, like Radeon HD 6700M GPUs on the iMac line and GeForce GT 650M GPUs on the 15" MacBook Pros. If the hardware can pull it off, there’s no reason Macs can’t double as gaming systems.

• Meadows

Ooh, eeh, ooh ah ah, ting, tang, walla walla bing bang.

• Ashbringer

Forget Mac, it’s all about Linux.

• Beelzebubba9

Good luck with that!

• thanatos355

Valve: We’re doing something!
    EA: ME TOO ME TOO!

• yogibbear

As long as they keep developing this platform I’ll leave it installed, but so far I’ve only begrudgingly done so so I could play through Mass Effect 3 after it was half price off. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that it will take a while to get it right, but it should get there, however slowly.

• Ryhadar

I’m not sure why I’m seeing so many complaints.

Say what you will of Origin, but EA is putting resources behind the idea that your PC — whether Windows or Mac — is also your gaming machine. If that means more PC games, I’m all for it.

And people say PC gaming is dead. =P

• BobbinThreadbare

They’re putting resources behind spying on you and controlling how you use their products.

• superjawes

Wait a minute…you’re not l33t-g4m3r!

• BobbinThreadbare

He takes everything too far, but it’s no secret that big media wants to control how you use their products. EA is no exception.

You could say the same thing about Steam too, the difference is that Valve has not really limited rights in ways people care about, and their survey is still opt-in.

• Airmantharp

Or SSK!

• Ryhadar

The operating systems that you would use to run Origin do just that already — but this is besides the point.

The point is, there is now another avenue for gamers to get their games, and brings more attention to PC gaming. Why is Origin on the Mac a bad thing?

• BobbinThreadbare

Well I think Origin is a bad service and EA makes bad games. So I really don’t care what they do because I won’t be buying from them regardless.

I just wanted to fully clarify why Origin exists, it has nothing to do with more PC games, it’s the same PC games just locked down.

• Ryhadar

Fair enough, and yeah I don’t use Origin myself (and probably won’t due to their connection with EA).

• Washer

Origin does not exist to spy on you, it was simply convenient for EA to take that step. Origin exists to give EA a bigger portion in the digital sales of their games. Examining your customer’s systems does *cringe* help EA but a far greater reason is just more money from what they already do.

• lilbuddhaman

Problem is that they want to turn into something akin to Xbox Live, ads ads ads ads game ads ads DLC DLC ads DLC.

• Sargent Duck

I just can’t see a turtle-neck wearing guy pull up to Starbucks in his Prius, order a latte, pull out his MacBook and start playing Battlefield 3.

It’s not that I see EA catering to the Mac users now. I think EA knows Windows 8 will be a terrible flop driving many casual gamers to the Mac where they can play The Sims

• BobbinThreadbare

Could you see a girl in a vintage dress and a scarf sitting in a coffee shop on her college campus pull out her MacBook and play the Sims?

• DeadOfKnight

Nothing is particularly surprising to me anymore.

I could definitely see MMO addicts using anything they can get their hands on no matter what other stereotypes might apply.

• yogibbear

The other day I was driving to the shops, listening to a song via my iPhone plugged into my car, got to the shops and I jumped out of the car, grabbed my phone, went into a shop, got back into my car, started the engine… music comes on playing the same song as it was before… I REALISE I HAVEN’T PLUGGED MY MOBILE IN!!!! CREEEEEEEEPPPYYY! (turns out radio was playing same song as my iPhone was…)

Song was Grimes – Genesis. [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnLByz-atCs&feature=fvst[/url<] EDIT: if this seems out of place it's because DeadOfKnight ninja edited his post which used to say "Nothing suprises me anymore"

• thanatos355

He should edit it again, just to make you seem like a complete nutter. 😀

• DrDillyBar

At least it’s no longer Origin Beta.

EA, that publisher with a huge catalogue of DirectX games. I see this being a flawless launch!

I suppose they churn out a bucketload of PS3 games, so it’s not like they’re completely tied to DirectX, but I can’t see this being anything other than a “anything Valve can do we can do [s<]better[/s<] more profitably" moment.

• tanker27

Does this mean EA is going to start porting games to Mac? If so O.O

There are already a handful that use that awful commercial version of Wine X (Cider). The most notable of which were DA:O, Sims 3 (plus expansions), and Spore.

• tanker27

Oh god…..if they are going to use another layer to get games to work then that’s nothing to get excited about 🙁

They’ve been doing it since the dawn of the Intel-based Mac era.

• Airmantharp

They should be porting to Mac, and it shouldn’t be hard. Just be prepared for them to run slower than they would on a PC with identically slow hardware. OS X isn’t built for performance, it’s built for pretty :).