Watch the Routine and Remember Me Gamescom trailers

Numerous game trailers have been released to coincide with the ongoing Gamescom show in Germany. Some have been more impressive than others, and a couple in particular caught my eye today. Let’s start with Routine, a “first person horror exploration game” that promises open-world access to a Moon base that’s clearly seen better days. Here’s the teaser trailer:

I’m getting a bit of a Dead Space vibe, but there’s a distinct lack of scary monsters. Routine seems to focus more on exploration than on combat. Surviving the game should still be challenging, because there are no health packs or multiple lives. If you die, you’re dead. Game over.

Well, there’s one way to create tension. The concept is intriguing, to say the least. Routine is built on Unreal Engine 3 and scheduled for release on the PC early next year, according to Shacknews.

In a slightly more conventional vein, Remember Me offers a third-person perspective and the ability to remix the memories of your foes. This gameplay trailer shows the remixing mechanic in action during an assassination assisted-suicide mission. Warning: there’s some adult language in the video.

Looks like an interesting mix of sneaking around and cinematic manipulation. The announcement trailer shows additional snippets of the game, including a handful of more traditional combat sequences. Presumably, killing won’t be limited to memory remixing alone.

Remember Me is due out on the PC in May 2013. If the game sounds familiar, that’s because it used to be called Adrift. Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the tip.

• d0g_p00p

Both of those games look great. It’s nice to see quality PC games for a change. The next 2 months are going to be awesome with Borderlands 2 and the X-Com reboot (not the *rappy FPS version)

I’m proud of my system of choice for gaming.

• south side sammy

The first one hardly qualifies as a trailer. the second one, somebody call that lesbian that was doing all that stereotyping complaining in the BorderLands thread the other day. No scanty and no cleavage here. …. and OMG, a HEROINE…….. what’s the world coming to ?

[url<]https://techreport.com/discussions.x/23412#metal[/url<]

• dashbarron

From this comment I can understand why she gets upset…and I think it’s obvious you don’t.

• south side sammy

when you post replies do you say I’m black or I’m white or I’m gay or I’m straight and I don’t like this because you’re one of the above, NO. She didn’t have to provide that information, nobody does. If you have an opinion none of that matters and to be honest has no place in any forum. She could have said I’m a woman and am insulted by, but she didn’t, but even that doesn’t matter. I don’t care if she or anybody else likes it or not. She brought it up….. just thought she might like to know……………….

• Bensam123

Routine, meh… Remix meh…

Remix the whole thing is just too unrealistic for me. You get a couple really scripted options and you just check boxes to manipulate someone into killing themself? There are tons of possible outcomes for a scenario like that and you magically get the right one. This is an example of a game trying to grab something too far outside of its scope.

• indeego

Choose your own adventure. Handholding. Distracting, unrealistic NPC behavior. Nice demo, I guess. Not really a game, however.

• swaaye

Routine sounds like a kind of adventure game, a bit like the Penumbra games maybe. Neat.

• GeorgeMichael

Penumbra games are not ADVENTURE games, they are horror games.

• Guts_not_Dead

Looks like Tomb Raider, game-play and mechanics wise. The graphics are not impressive, so it’s probably a cross-platform game, a.k.a. another console port.

I used to spend hours playing Tomb Raider a decade or so ago (getting all nostalgic).Those were the days!

• ish718

Remember Me looks pretty interesting, is it a PC exclusive?

• nico1982

No, and the washed out texture are a dead giveaway: PS3, X360 and PC

• Forge

Of course not. I may try it anyways, if there is no objectionable DRM.

• superjawes

It definitely had a tell-tale Playstation “X” in there…and it’s Capcom. They make plenty of money on console games.

It does look interesting, though. Will be worth checking out and keeping up with.