WinRT tablets will start at $300-400, Lenovo suggests

It’s doubtful Microsoft’s Surface for Windows RT tablet will launch at $199, as the rumor mill has suggested. However, Lenovo now suggests Windows RT tablets may not cost a whole lot more when they launch later this year.

Lenovo’s David Schmoock, who spoke to Bloomberg recently, says he expects Windows RT tablets to cost $200-300 less than their Intel-powered Windows 8 counterparts. (Windows RT, of course, will run only on ARM hardware.) Schmoock also expects Intel-based tablets running Windows 8 to be priced at $600-700.

Based on those figures, we can also extrapolate that the WinRT offerings will start at $300-400. It’s not clear what size devices Schmoock was referring to, though. $300 would be tantalizingly affordable for a 10″ tablet, but it would be a little pricey for a 7″ device. Google’s Nexus 7 and Amazon’s Kindle Fire both cost $199.

In any case, it seems like there’s going to be a substantial price disparity between x86 and ARM devices. That’s not entirely unexpected, though. When it announced its Surface tablets back in June, Microsoft clearly stated that the Windows 8 model would be priced in the same league as ultrabooks, while the WinRT offering would be competitive with other ARM tablets.

Windows RT and Windows 8 devices are both due out on October 26.

• Anarchist

is tablet market about to go thermo nuclear?

• CuttinHobo

I know some of them get fairly warm to the touch, but this is just getting dangerous!

• trackerben

A slick Surface RT 32GB with Touch keyboard and Office Home RT at $499 or less would be a better proposition than an iPad 3 32GB with QuickOffice at $599. An Asus TF700T 64GB with QuickOffice at $599 just does not make sense unless one is willing to spend another $150 on its the keyboard dock and/or is beholden to Android’s UI quirks. Samsung Tabs just don’t compute given their slow update cycles.

A Google Nexus 7 16GB with QuickOffice at $249 is a reasonable experimental choice if one can live with the smaller screen.

• kamikaziechameleon

For an asus transformer running windows 8 x86 I’d drop serious coin. It should also pack a retina display though.

• moog

I think this blogger missed an important point in the original article,

David Schmoock: β€œIt will do well but it’s going to be more of a consumer price point play to begin with,”

IOW, prices will be adjusted to move product, perhaps even if it’s a Microsoft funded charity. $300? may just be a beginning.

• tootercomputer

The ARM version will be very cool, but I think the x86 version will be a must-have tech device.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]It's doubtful Microsoft's Surface for Windows RT tablet will launch at $199, as the rumor mill has suggested. However, Lenovo now suggests Windows RT tablets may not cost a whole lot more when they launch later this year.[/quote<] 50-100% price increase ($100-200) isn't "a whole lot more"?

• NeelyCam

Percentages are for scientist, and have little meaning in the real world

• tviceman

If the surface RT comes in at $399 with the keyboard cover, then I think it’s going to sell extremely well, way more than if the x86 surface (with same keyboard cover) is $200+ higher priced, heavier, and thicker. If this ends up happening, it would be nice to see Intel get knocked around for a change.

• NeelyCam

The x86 one you’re talking about is also significantly faster and more capable. I think Atom based tablets are a better match for ARM Windows Cripple tablets.

That said, I’m still thinking I’ll be happier with a n Ultrabook with a real keyboard

• sweatshopking

atom sucked years ago, and it sucks now. i’d rather pay more and get IB.

• MadManOriginal

You’d be a schmoock to presume to know the prices of tablets from many different vendors.

• oldog

You need to brush up on your Yiddish. Schmoock? Oy!

• MadManOriginal

You need to read the third word in the second paragraph :p

• ludi

$300 with preinstalled CrippleOffice would be about right.

• muontrack

These rumors/predictions make me think of a corporate variation on “the price is right” πŸ™‚

• dpaus

Yeah – especially the part where the playa picks the wrong box and goes home empty-handed.

• jdaven

This is somewhat off subject but since the article brings up Intel, I am curious about the state of Medfield. Intel was able to get the chip into a very competitive SoC package but I have not heard much with regard to its marketshare in smartphones and tablets after Medfield was released in a few designs. Does anyone have a link showing current marketshare of these devices between ARM and Intel?

I couldn’t find a link but I found an ASCII pie chart for you:

[size=200]O[/size]

[u<]Key:[/u<] White = ARM Black = Intel [i<]edit: Awwwww, size tags don't work on the comments section :'([/i<]

The point comes across. +1

• indeego

Also my TR is blue/white.

• dpaus

I believe that NeelyCam is compiling a list in an imaginative and yet desperate attempt to avoid having to buy me beer and wings.

• NeelyCam

You know perfectly well I’m unable to respond to this comment… Can’t wait for the 22nm version, so I could say something again.

Btw, anybody know the code name for the 22nm chip? I believe the core is
        Silvermont but haven’t seen the name of the SoC..

EDIT: Typo fixes. Gosh these cell phone touch screen keyboards make me sound drunk

• dpaus

I know you need to clean the dust bunnies out of your keyboard…

EDIT: by the way, ssk will confirm that I have biker associates who are willing to travel long distances to collect on an ill-considered wager. It might be smart of you to simply ship the beer and wings to me now…. πŸ™‚

• NeelyCam

Your biker associates will deliver me beer/wings when I’m proven right; game is on until then

• sweatshopking

maybe i’ll do it. I’ve been missing europe, and i’d love to meet you, tiff

• NeelyCam

I live in the USA, my dear

• sweatshopking

i thought you moved back to finland!

• NeelyCam

No, just visiting during vacations.. I’m in Finland right now, enjoying the wicked fast and ridiculously cheap cellular data plans they offer here

• dpaus

If you bring back beer and wings from there, I’ll Finnish them off.

• jdaven

Lol! I see what you did there.

• sweatshopking

nice.

i’m sure you’ve heard it a million times, but
            [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rwc3VGvlRY[/url<]

• WillBach

No one outside of Intel knows their phone market share for sure, but it’s really low right now. I found this article [url=http://www.marketwatch.com/story/arm-aims-to-capture-share-of-pc-market-2012-05-17<]MarketWatch - ARM aims to capture share of PC market[/url<] which said: [quote<]Intel hasn't provided its estimates for phone market share, but Chief Executive Paul Otellini said in a recent interview that the company expects to have a significant presence in the smartphone market and be a major player in mobile in a few years[...] Intel spokesman Jon Carvill on Thursday declined to comment further about market share projections.[/quote<] That all says really low to me, with expectations of a few more years of really low to low market share. With regards to tablets, I don't think Medfield is in any tablets, and the upcoming Win8 tablets are Clovertrail-based.

• Bauxite

I’ve seen more AMD tablets than Intel tablets so far, if that says anything πŸ™‚

• superjawes

I’m going to go out on a limb here…

No one actually knows what these tablets will cost, especially Surface.

• OU812

[quote<]No one actually knows what these tablets will cost, especially Surface.[/quote<] Actually Microsoft does know the price of Surface RT they just haven't announced it yet (to the public).

• Decelerate

They’re trying to find something else to distract the public from analyzing the price.

If the price was good it would be [b<]plastered [u<]everywhere[/u<][/b<] by now.