Borderlands 2 goes gold

It’s official. Gearbox CEO and President Randy Pitchford has confirmed on Twitter that Borderlands 2 has gone gold. The game won’t actually be released until September 18 in the US, but the code is complete, and retail discs are probably being stamped as I write this.

At least on the PC, most folks will probably be acquiring Borderlands 2 through download services like Steam. Being denied the game for a month while discs are printed and retail boxes distributed is a little annoying. Wouldn’t it be nice of publishers made up for the epidemic of delayed PC releases by offering downloadable versions early? That would certainly be one way to encourage folks to use online distribution services, which developers and publishers both seem to prefer.

If you’ve been living under a rock and have somehow missed the Borderlands 2 hype, here’s the latest trailer.

The first Borderlands game was a lot of fun, but the grinding got a little tedious for me. Looks like the sequel has been streamlined somewhat, and I’m eager to check it out. If you’re interested, you might want to pre-order the game now to get a few bonus goodies. Early orders will receive a couple of extra items, unique guns, and a fifth Mechromancer character class that will be released at a later date. The Mechromancer class features a skill tree designed specifically for newbies, and I’m curious to see whether it makes co-op sessions more enjoyable for less-skilled players.

• ShadowTiger

They can’t release PC versions early because they are incomplete. It is standard practice these days to release a patch when the game comes out that fixes various issues. I bet they are still working on optimizations as well as bug fixing and general polishing. They also wouldn’t want to take a chance that people might buy the PC version instead of the console version due to impatience. AFIK they don’t count digital in the mainstream sales statistics yet.

• The Dark One

[quote<]At least on the PC, most folks will probably be acquiring Borderlands 2 through download services like Steam. Being denied the game for a month while discs are printed and retail boxes distributed is a little annoying. Wouldn't it be nice of publishers made up for the epidemic of delayed PC releases by offering downloadable versions early? That would certainly be one way to encourage folks to use online distribution services, which developers and publishers both seem to prefer.[/quote<] The problem is that, while retail is shrinking compared to DD services, it still represents a good chunk of video game sales. If you released your AAA title on Steam a month before the brick & mortar stores could get their hands on it, they'd probably retaliate by refusing to stock it at all. Just look at the UK, where Steamworks titles can't be purchased online while they're still 'hot.' Publishers have caved in and given the retailers limited exclusivity in order to appease them. [quote<]Does anyone know if this one uses that crummy GameSpy ID stuff for multiplayer? I don't even know what that is anymore... IGN now? I tried to log in on GameSpy's website and it wanted me to make a new account or link to Google/Facebook/whatever.[/quote<] They haven't said it explicitly, but I'm certain that they aren't going to be using GameSpy for the multiplayer this time around. A while after release, Gearbox patched in Steam achievements to the first game. It was basically a dry run to see how easy it was to integrate Steamworks into a title. This time, if you look through their '[url=http://www.borderlands2.com/loveletter/<]love letter to the PC[/url<],' a ton of the features are Steamworks selling points. Why bother with GameSpy if you're already getting the stuff from Valve for free?

• Scrotos

That’s what I was wondering with the first one! Dangit, you’re on Steam, use that! Ah well, here’s hopin’…

• RtFusion

Will turning on the PhysX settings in this game (provided that you have an nVidia card(s) in your system) dramatically change the experience vs with them off (or forced off if you have a Radeon card as your primary VGA unless you have some hacked old nVidia drivers to have an both the nVidia card {PhysX} and the Radeon card {primary VGA} in your system, like this: [url<]http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-05ff.html)?[/url<]

• sweatshopking

no. physx will probably still suck.

• PixelArmy

You be the judge: [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFkDrKvBRU[/url<]

• danny e.

[url<]http://www.dannyde.com/really.png[/url<] I guess physX changes your standard gun into an elemental gun! neat!

• RtFusion

That’s . . . interesting. Never knew that PhysX actually changes how objects look like weaponry.

• Scrotos

I think he was mainly pointing out that they used different weapons and therefore it’s not a straight-up comparison as to the effects.

• Scrotos

Does anyone know if this one uses that crummy GameSpy ID stuff for multiplayer? I don’t even know what that is anymore… IGN now? I tried to log in on GameSpy’s website and it wanted me to make a new account or link to Google/Facebook/whatever.

Heck, as long as it works in-game, whatever, but I just wish they integrated with Steam for MP instead of GameSpy.

• Scrotos

For anyone wanting to combine forces to get 4-packs for cheaper than regular: [url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=83191[/url<] Basically, you can preorder one copy for $60 or if it's part of a 4-pack, the cost comes out to $45 apiece. Just the ol' paypal money to someone, that person buys the 4-pack, that person gifts the extra copies routine.

• PixelArmy

Willow Tree FTW?

• danny e.

something to do this fall in between weekend college football games.

• sunner

Look at the face of that dude on the Trailer.
    Who is he?
    Would you trust him with the Company payroll?
    I wouldn’t trust him with the coffee-break money.

• grantmeaname

He is literally wearing somebody else’s face. That screams “do not give coffee money”, no?

• sunner

Egad. Thanx for the info ! 🙂

• indeego

Graphics actually look worse. How is that even possible?

• JohnC

It does look… different. Not sure if it’s “bad”, I’d have to see how the actual game looks like.

• lilbuddhaman

This game has gotten more TR coverage than Bulldozer.

• drfish

I expect it to deserve it more.

• superjawes

Borderlands does have a pretty wide net. References, tongue-in-cheek humor, solid shooter gameplay, and RPG elements…there’s a lot to love.

• Beelzebubba9

It’s a ton of fun to play with friends, too. I got a free copy with my 660 Ti, but I would have bought it sooner or later regardless.

• Neutronbeam

The first Borderlands game crashed to my desktop more than almost any other game I’ve played until they patched it. Hope they invested more in QA upfront this time.

Having said that, I did pre-order it in April when Amazon had it for $49.99.

Edit: added “first Borderlands,” “my,” “ed,” “it,” and “Having said that, I did pre-order it in April when Amazon had it for $49.99.”

• willmore

For me that would be Fallout 3. After the pain that is the vault turorial, you finally get to go out into the real world, yeah! Turn around to look at the vault and the game crashes. What? Oh, and it didn’t save, you have to do that last bit in the vault over. Grrrr….

After completely redoing the sound hardware and audio codecs on the machine, it gets past that. Play for a while, open the door to a house on the bridge and *hang*. WTF? Google, google, goooooogle…. Oh, turns out the game is known to lock up at a few spots if you have a >2 core processor. Yep. Fix a value in some deep, dark config file and it works.

The game was okay, but that kind of stuff really takes the fun out of it. I can imagine how much worse it would have been if it were a multiplayer game and I crashed out in the middle of a fight leaving my friends hanging. Grrrr….

• odizzido

haha that was a good trailer. Shame it is a steam only game though, I’d like to see it on GoG so I could buy it for more than $9.

• superjawes

That’s an interesting problem, having the game “complete” and technically available for digital customers, but you also don’t want to make retail customers feel alienated by the wait, either (see what happens when PC gamers have to wait a week after retail console versions are out). On top of that, what about collector’s editions? That’s a physical component that people might like to have, too, and it would feel really ugly to have to wait for a game you spent MORE on than someone else.

I’d like to see [s<]them[/s<] someone try, though, and see how an early digital release goes. Maybe start a week early, see the sales and reception, and then start trying with bigger games. Edited for clarity...maybe...

• yogibbear

Isn’t this their biggest game for the year?

• superjawes

That’s my improper and too general use of “them.” I didn’t mean Gearbox/2K specifically, but the general industry starting with a new/general IP, then maybe trying an early digital release for a game like Borderlands.

• d0g_p00p

Already pre-ordered I cannot wait. I do hate waiting as well. It’s the same annoyance when you can download a game but it’s encrypted until it’s release date. It stays on your hard drive taunting you with it’s install icon.

• anotherengineer

I hear ya, I’m still waiting on my monitor stand.

[url<]http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=38910[/url<] Should be here this Wednesday. I think every monitor should come with an adjustable stand..........some people..............

• GeorgeMichael