CS: Global Offensive trailer sets stage for imminent release

As I type this, over 67,000 people are playing Counter-Strike on Steam. That’s more than the number of Modern Warfare 3 multiplayer and Skyrim combined. In fact, if you add the number of folks immersed in the Global Offensive beta, Counter-Strike has more players than any other game on Steam right now.

The final version of Global Offensive will be released tomorrow, complete with the requisite zombie mode. To whet your appetite for the first major CS update in years, there’s a new trailer.

This is going to date me a little, but I’ve played Counter-Strike on and off since its initial release as a mod for the original Half-Life. That was back in 1999, and the game has certainly progressed a lot since. However, none of the rounds I’ve played over the years has even remotely resembled what’s going down in the cinematic trailer. Perhaps Global Offensive isn’t as prone to frantic rushing and chronic hopping, but I kind of doubt it.

That said, I’m genuinely intrigued by the new release. The game costs only $13.50 right now, 10% off the normal asking price. That’s actually cheaper than the old Counter-Strike: Source, which sells for 20 bucks. It will be interesting to see if the CS franchise eventually moves to a free-to-play model similar to Team Fortress 2. The real-world setting may not lend itself to the customized weapons and ridiculous hats that seem to be funding TF2, though.

• TaBoVilla

I just love the source filmmaker sound at the end..

• Joerdgs

I’ve been in the beta for quite a while and I loved how it all turned out. It’s a great game to play a few rounds occasionally. I’m not really much of a twitch shooter (though I have my moments), but there’s plenty of opportunities to try and outsmart players. It’s lightweight, fast, fun and just the right price.

• Bensam123

So, they added moltovs and a pp19 judging by the video.

Honestly I’m still not all that impressed with this. The hardcore community will prevent CS from ever adopting a f2p model like in TF2. They’ll adamantly oppose any sort of new weaponry. That’s what happens if you let a game stagnate for too long. They plant their roots deep and you’re better off starting a new series of games then attempting to reboot the current series. This also applies to really anything in life… (web browsers are another good example)

*goes back to playing Blacklight* If only Zombie could get their act together and fix the lag/hit reg. 🙁

• trackerben

Aside from the respawning format and flags, Modern CoD and BF are operationally different from CS in the availability of battle and command aids to shape a game. Career unlocks of better weapons and upgrades helped with personal satisfaction and performance, strike unlocks on merited kills could suddenly change the game dynamic between teams. Maps and hides in CoD rewarded the team with a variety of weapons and tactics, while maps in BF rewarded the team with either the strongest teamplay or else the most vehicles cycling to the frontlines.

Between the 2 non-CS games, the most obvious differences in optimal strategies were due to the size of the levels, the focus on either infantry or vehicles contests, and strongpoint placements (MGs, antitank and antiaircraft). Silenced rifles and jammer aids made a splash in modern warfare while artillery served mainly to increase the fun tempo. In BF vehicles and counter-vehicle strats were the focus, jets could be trumps in certain maps, and a commander good with artillery was most decisive in defeating flag captures because of the long movements to contact.

BF best rewarded teamplay and vehicle strategies, modern COD best rewarded loadouts and tactics, and CS best rewarded fast rushes, accurate shooting, and the end-game face-off

• trackerben

In oldschool CS defuse you have to decide if you’re rushing in early to try to predict and cut in behind the other team’s rushers, or if you’re going to help others of your team in clearing paths along alternate routes to the sites or back to the spawn. Or you may run in first and fastest in a nade ‘n gun berserker rage.

• The Dark One

Not to dogpile on [b<]thanatos355[/b<], but how does [quote<]People are almost indestructible. Facing someone with a better weapon is just plain suicide[/quote<] make any sense?

• Washer

I have been really enjoying the CS:GO beta. It’s classic CS with some nice tweaks and new maps. There are some rough spots but in terms of a Counter-Strike games life this is incredibly early and I bet will be ironed out quickly. More than anything it’s reminded me how much I enjoy the tense gameplay of CS.

My biggest complaint is there’s currently no method to save weapon load outs. Seems like a major oversight and I’m not sure what could be gained by intentionally leaving it out. Hope it makes it in before final release.

• GeorgeMichael

Only $15, that’s not fair, I’m not buying it unless it drops to $49.99.
    This game deserves every me and every you.

• thanatos355

Having never played any of the CS games before, having read some articles and seen some video & images about the game, I decided what the hell. It was only $14, might as well give it a try.

I was singularly unimpressed with the entire thing and have considered asking for a refund.

I’ll just copy/paste my thoughts about it that I already shared on my battlelog feed.

[quote<]Well GO is a complete disappointment. It feels just like playing DoD. Hip fire only, no sights of any kind. No running, just very clunky boot stepping. Graphics are bland. People are almost indestructible. Facing someone with a better weapon is just plain suicide. Better get a 27"+ monitor if you expect to see anyone more than 20' in front of you. It really feels more like one of the free2play games that I tried out a while back. What f*****g modern release shooter doesn't let you look down the sights or run, ffs?[/quote<] I was not expecting a BF/CoD/MoH clone, but I was definitely expecting something other than what was delivered. Yes, I know that what I played was "only a beta" release and not the full game, but I seriously doubt that they will make any fundamental gameplay or mechanics changes for the final shebang.

• RobbyBob

Not to call you out or anything, but it’s not even close to being a CoD clone. You said yourself that you’ve never played any of the CS games before, and if you had, you’d notice that it’s another CS clone.

Also, I don’t find that enemies are indestructible at all. In fact, I’ve rushed people with the glock and won out versus all manner of ARs and SMGs. I will say that all the CS games are really tough on new players, and that can be discouraging. I’d suggest giving GO a little more time, but if you don’t like it, that’s fine with me.

Edit: DoD*

• Ryhadar

Robby, you hit the nail on the head.

CS is very unforgiving to new players, thanatos. If you’re just playing by yourself I’m not surprised you find it frustrating. If I didn’t play with friends, I would probably have written off CS long ago.

CS is a very different beast from CoD/BF. You brought up one of the differences yourself. No, there is no sprinting in CS (though if you pull out your handgun you run faster than someone carrying their rifle) but what CS does have is walking quietly.

The emphasis on CoD, I’d say, is spawning and getting to the fire fight as fast as possible (with your team, of course). With CS, the only time you spawn is at the beginning of a round so lives are more important. Taking the right amount of time is key. Walking is slow, but it allows you to make no sound to fool enemies into thinking no one is there.

This mechanic is somewhat present in CoD/BF but the maps are more open and, as such, there’s little point to walking. CS maps, by contrast, are much more constrained, so relying on sound is just as important as relying on sight.

• Srsly_Bro

Not to call you out or anything, but it says DoD, not CoD.

• RobbyBob

You’re right. It’s not really DoD either though.

• travbrad

[quote<]I will say that all the CS games are really tough on new players, and that can be discouraging.[/quote<] Yep you have to keep in mind that at this point a lot of people have been playing CS for YEARS (or a decade even), so it's probably going to be hard to just step in and start doing well right away. The game has very distinct gun and movement mechanics that take awhile to get used to. The most important thing is CS is the SOUND too, which takes some learning. By using sound with good headphones it's almost like you are using wallhacks.

• Washer

1. If a gun has a scope you can use the scope. If it doesn’t, it is hip fire. Counter-Strike has always been this way.

2. You “run” by default. You need to hold a key to walk, I believe it’s control by default.

3. Aim for the head. It’s crucial in CS. Otherwise you’re hitting armor.

4. Is there a reason why a better gun shouldn’t be better? Use cover, take selective shots to the head and save your money for a round or two. That will take care of the “issue” quick enough.

You were expecting a BF/CoD clone, that’s very clear. Give the game a couple of hours, take the time to learn the controls and use the different weapons. Pay attention to your cross hair, notice how much your accuracy will change just by standing still? You can’t run and fire at the same time and expect to hit the enemy. You’ll just die constantly by the guy who was smart enough to listen for your footsteps and pop around the corner already aiming at head level.

Counter-Strike is unforgiving, doesn’t matter if it’s 1.6, Source or now Global Offensive. If you try to play it like Call of Duty you’re going to be angry you’re doing nothing more than spectating.

• Master Kenobi

I’ll jump in here and add that games like CoD/BF allow a novice to grab a decent gun, spray some bullets and be relatively effective moreso once you take into account respawning. CS has always been a more methodical shooter where 1 person can make or break a team. Explosives are minimized in CS, it has always been reliant on using the right gun the right way. The downside is that novices will get absolutely demolished by a skilled CS player. They understand the recoil management, sound management, and are better at anticipating their opponents which has always been a hallmark of CS. If you can anticipate the other team’s tactic, you can setup and pick them off with considerable ease. Although zerging can work if the other team panics.

• TurtlePerson2

I’ve played CS 1.6 and CSS a great deal and I was also unimpressed with CS:GO. I played it for about an hour and felt no need to play more than that. The biggest turn off to me was how different it was from 1.6 or CSS. I felt like I couldn’t hit anything.

• anotherengineer

Same……………..for now.

The 1.6 and source GUI is very similar, CS:GO, well fells like a console and is awkward with a mouse and keyboard (for buying…………..without binds), albeit after a learning curve it would probably be workable.

Holding tab to check who is still alive darkens the screen so much you can’t see anything and the list has so much info and colours you end up looking at it for a few minutes to get a few seconds worth of info.

And I have to find out how to get that annoying zoom in after you die F5 BS turned off, no time to fiddle with it tonight though.

Be nice if they have a classic PC GUI option down the road. Source has nicer colours but I knew that before hand, I may as well turn my monitors colour down to black and white lol

Also does anyone know if there is a netgraph option like source?

• [+Duracell-]

You can still use CS:S console binds to buy weapons. Most of the keyboard paths are still the same
          Example: bind F3 “buy deagle”

I wouldn’t press tab unless I needed to see who’s alive or dead in CS 1.6 or CS:S. In CS:GO, you can actually look up top on the HUD and see how many Ts and CTs are left.

The zoom is a bit annoying, but you can still call out the position of an enemy. Not necessarily where they’re going, though. There might be a console command to disable it.

I like the new HUD. There’s a bit more information on it, but it’s still small enough to not be distracting. The auto-help stuff is dumb though…the ones that say to guard the bomb or plant the bomb here.

net_graph 1 brings up the text-only netgraph.

• Washer

Huh?

You buy using number keys just like in CS 1.6 and CS:S. It’s in a circle now instead of a flat menu. Not a big change. Lacking the ability to define weapon/gear load outs is a issue but I feel that will appear soon (3 to 4 months). I’m sure console players would appreciate that addition too.

Holding Tab works like TF2. Anyway, as Duracell mentioned that information is always available now at the top of the screen.

Seeing who killed you from where is nice, again from TF2.

My biggest UI issue is how annoying it is that when I click “Community Servers” I get a pop up message each time.

The net_graph commands work like Source.

• Ryhadar

I thought CS:GO was kind of superfluous what with CS 1.6 and CS:S out (I own both by the way) and had really no intention of buying it.

Then a friend of mine was over the other day, and I pre-ordered it.

No real reason other than he himself pre-ordered it. The same thing happened to me with CS:S. I owned CS 1.6 and saw no reason to “upgrade” until my friends all told me they were moving to source. I wonder if this is Valve’s intention…

Like you Geoff, I’ve been playing counter-strike on and off for a little more than a decade. It’s just a really fun twitch shooter. In retrospect, paying a small sum for CS with new graphics, weapons, and tweaks with gameplay that is guaranteed to be fun really isn’t a terrible purchase. I’d be surprised if CS:GO wasn’t a success for Valve.

That said, I can certainly wait awhile for the next CS “update”. 😉