MSI MPower board provides Go2BIOS firmware shortcut

PCs boot pretty quickly these days, and getting into their firmware interfaces has become somewhat more difficult as a result. With a sufficiently fast system, you have to start hammering the delete key right after pressing the power button to have any hope of making it into the BIOS or UEFI. To save keyboards from unnecessary abuse, MSI’s new Z77 MPower motherboard has a Go2BIOS button that takes users directly into the firmware at the next reboot. Go2BIOS works as long as the system’s power is connected, MSI says, even if the computer is turned off.

A tiny red button near the bottom of the board activates the Go2BIOS feature, although you wouldn’t know it based on the adjacent Super Charger label. MSI has recently been more secretive about its upcoming motherboard features, and the label may be a bit of misdirection. We saw the very same button at the Computex trade show in June, when we caught our first glimpse of the Z77 MPower. At the time, MSI was eager to talk about the board’s overclocking-friendly warranty and validation testing but made no mention of Go2BIOS.

As much as we like the idea of a firmware shortcut, the button placement isn’t terribly convenient. Onboard buttons are fine if you’re running an open system, sans case, but they’re a pain to access on fully built rigs. MSI says it’s looking into moving the Go2BIOS button to the rear port cluster, where the function would be accessible from outside of the case.

Of course, there’s more than one way to allow easy access to motherboard firmware. Asus’ current UEFI implementations feature an adjustable time delay for the initial POST screen, providing a potentially wide window of opportunity to hit the delete key. The delay applies to every boot, while MSI’s solution can be invoked only when needed.

• Ryhadar

[quote<]With a sufficiently fast system, you have to start hammering the delete key right after pressing the power button to have any hope of making it into the BIOS or UEFI.[/quote<] Holding down the 'Delete' key on start up also works with most boards (all of those that I've testing anyway). No hammering required. =) The trick is that you know which button you need to press. If it goes so fast you can't see the button you need to press or you don't remember if you have to hit Delete, F2, F1,etc. then hammer away at the likely suspects!

• Waco

I wish that worked with mine.

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 with a CM Storm Trigger keyboard. Even though it doesn’t boot all that fast…it takes so long to initialize the keyboard (and for the keyboard to come up fully) that I can’t get into the BIOS AT ALL. I have to pull another keyboard out of the closet to change anything in the BIOS. It’s annoying as hell.

• Ryhadar

Is that with the PS/2 adapter or with USB?

Only reason I ask is I have a CM QuickFire Rapid with an Asus Gene Z Z68 that works just fine with the PS/2 adapter. Different keyboard, and different mobo manufacturer, but it’s worth a shot.

• hiro_pro

i have the gigabyte x58 ud3 yada-yada rev 1 and it only works with a ps2 keyboard. it says usb works but i would put the odds under 10%. fortunately the pack-rat in me kept my old keyboard.

• drfish

I like the implementation on the miniITX Intel board I built a tiny workstation out of. Hold down the power button when you turn it on and you get into the BIOS/UEFI but a tap boots like normal. There are some options in the UEFI for super fast booting and the only way you can turn them off is with this trick. It is the fastest booting system I’ve ever seen.

• Shambles

This is the best solution.

• HisDivineOrder

That sounds like the best solution really. No extra buttons, no bending around my computer, just leaning down. Hold. BIOS. Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up! Do this. That is all.

• BiffStroganoffsky

Just add a feature to the reset button that triggers a splash screen delay on restart. It is what I usually do when I miss the del button.

• Deanjo

Better yet, just have it so that if the power and reset button are hit together on a cold boot that it takes you to the ” bios “.

Best idea yet. +1 for you!