Stereoscopic 3D not a priority for EA games

We took our first look at stereoscopic 3D on the PC back in 2009. At the time, we weren’t sold on the technology. We revisited the subject earlier this year and found that much had improved. However, problems persisted, particularly with game compatibility and eye fatigue. We remained unconvinced.

Turns out we’re not alone. Publishing giant EA isn’t too keen on stereoscopic 3D, with COO Peter Moore telling Eurogamer that the technology "just doesn’t seem to be a major factor." Moore notes that stereo 3D hasn’t gained traction among gamers, although he does say 3D TV usage is higher in the UK than in the US. Apparently, it’s not high enough for EA to pay the technology too much attention.

The fact that stereoscopic 3D implementations require dorky goggles has always seemed like kind of a deal-breaker for me. Lots of folks have prescription glasses that won’t play nicely with a second set of spectacles. The additional cost associated with a stereo setup can be steep, as well. In addition to the googles and display, you also need a beefier graphics card to generate essentially double the frames—one set for each eye.

• GregP

Why such hostility toward 3D? I guess I’m in the very small minority that has 3D working flawlessly and absolutely loves it (and I even have prescription glasses). I played The Witcher 2 entirely in 3D, and have put 70+ hours in Skyrim completely in 3D. It has honestly changed the way I view FPS/RPG games–I cannot even imagine going back to 2D. 3D adds such an unbelievable immersion; it simply can’t be put into words. I would guess that just about everyone here criticizing it has never had a good 3D gaming experience…yes it can be a bit of work — and cost — but once you have it up and running, I can’t for the life of me figure out why anyone would prefer 2D over 3D. There’s simply no comparison.

• Madman

You need a decent setup though. Very bright monitor + good glasses. But, yes, I know what you mean.

And moreover, 3D is essentially free. It’s not like supporting DX9 and DX11 codepaths. It’s a lot easier.

• Malphas

I can’t wait until this stupid 3D gimmick just f***ing dies already.

• Madman

Actually, there is nothing bad about 3D, and in some rare cases it’s even good.

• superjawes

There’s some promise in polarizing images, perhaps to project two independent images on the same screen, but yes, 3D is very much a gimmick, and it’s mostly used, IMO, to get more movie theater revenue.

• Grape Flavor

Yeah, stereo vision is merely a gimmick, that’s why you evolved to be a cyclops.

Oh, wait.

• Madman

Well, 3D is a gimmick, a little… Then again, it’s almost free. Set up quad buffer instead of double buffer, if the glasses are available, and that’s it. Game works.

Heck, if Nvidia managed to hack-in 3D into an old non-3D apps, going 3D with the actual code-base is probably 1 hour of development.

And we get nicer screens, and sometimes, for example in Torchlight, 3D looks really, really neat. And I’m talking about 3D with red+blue glasses, not even real polarized stuff.

If it’s almost free, I’ll take it.

Waiting for Carmacks VR games and Palmer Luckey Oculus Rift headset though. I wanna play with a more realistic 3D stuff for a change 🙂

• Forge

Of course EA isn’t looking into 3D! Do you know how much effort it would take to graft that into $FRANCHISE $YEAR’s codebase? They’ve got no time before $FRANCHISE $YEAR+1’s release date! Putting 3D is just as nonsensical as patching issues in $FRANCHISE $YEAR!=CURRENT’s code! Stupidity! No ROI!

• odizzido

Another problem with “3d” for me is that if each eye only sees 60FPS so I would need to buy a 240hz monitor to get the nice smoothness of a 120hz monitor in 2d.

I am not exactly sure when IPS 240hz monitors will exist at a good price.

• ChrisG683

Or exist at all :P. I don’t believe there are even any stock 120 Hz monitors in existence yet, just overclocked monitors.

• Duck

Name 1 good 120Hz monitor. I’m interested.

• chuckula

While EA is run by a bunch of morons, I do have to give them credit for not jumping on the annoying 3D glasses bandwagon.

• yogibbear

Google != goggle. I am a bastard. Anal retentive bastard.

• Mourmain

The googles, they do nothing!

• Meadows

Hear hear, Geoff. Last paragraph.

• Farting Bob

I dont care for £d gaming, but i do like how its pushing monitor makers to offer 120hz screens. All but the very high end ones though are TN which is a shame, if i was to upgrade from my 3 year old 27″ TN i would want 120hz IPS 1200p, and doesnt seem to be any at a sane price so i will just have to wait longer.

[quote<] £d[/quote<] I read that as "pounded", which makes me giggle.

• Farting Bob

Well that’ll teach me for using the shift key for the wrong keystroke. Still, £d does also make me giggle.

• Grape Flavor

The subpar quality+resolution of 3D-capable monitors is a deal-breaker, the other two being the game support is terrible and I already wear glasses.

I find the idea of stereo 3D quite interesting though. It’s one of the logical next steps towards more advanced and realistic graphics.

• MadManOriginal

I hear that 93-95% of gamers don’t care about paying for 3D, so not wasting resources on it in the first place sounds like the smart thing to do.

• flip-mode

194% of 3D games are pirated.

• MadManOriginal

I thought it was 300%…100% for each D. At least, that’s how the execs would lke to count it!

• yogibbear

No it’s over 9000% because even the people without 3D capable headsets could’ve pirated it. You’ve gotta remember that CEO cheat sheets say a lost sale == a pirated copy these days.

• odizzido

I’ve heard that piracy rates on 120hz monitors are way up, in the 93-95% range. EA might be losing out on an opportunity.