Sleeping Dogs demo available on Steam

Sleeping Dogs was released last week, and it seems to be pretty popular with critics and gamers. The PC version has a MetaCritic score of 84 with an 8.6 user rating, and the console versions have received similar ratings. PC gamers get a few perks, including DirectX 11 graphics effects and a separate, high-resolution texture pack that weighs in at about 5GB, nearly doubling the size of the installed footprint.

Right now, Sleeping Dogs costs $50 on Steam. If you’re apprehensive about taking the plunge, you can grab the freshly released demo, which is available free of charge. Here’s the demo promo trailer:

The demo is 2.8GB, according to Shacknews, and it’s unclear whether high-res textures are included. Given the game’s open-world setting and the sheer size of the texture pack, I’d guess not. The demo should give folks a sense of the gameplay, though. I’m particularly curious about whether the driving and combat mechanics are up to snuff.

Shacknews has some interesting quotes from Sleeping Dogs Senior Producer Jeff O’Connell, who called publisher Square Enix "incredibly supportive" of the PC release. The game was released simultaneously on the PC and consoles, a practice that has become less and less common these days. Let’s hope Sleeping Dogs is a sign of things to come, not only with respect to release schedules, but also PC-specific enhancements and timely demos.

• GeorgeMichael

shidt made by scums for maggots to play.

• ULYXX

Que?

• UberGerbil

Time for the banhammer, I’d say. School goes back in soon, but I’m not sure we can wait.

• Duck

There’s trolling and then there is this…

Is that supposed to be funny or what?

• lilbuddhaman

He just wants attention. If we ignore him, he’ll try harder. If you continue to ignore him, he’ll eventually get a complex and stop posting here.

• rrr

I think maggots are too busy eating carrion to bother playing this.

• Rendition

This game is the most fun I had in years. MUCH more fun to play than GTA IV. I’m very disappointed the Metacritic scores aren’t higher.

Great graphics, great story, great control, great voice-acting.. just fun to play.

• tviceman

Controls like Batman, but with a more laggy / cinematic mouse movement. It takes a little bit to get used to, but there is definitely a good/fun game to be had. Too bad my games list is backed up through the rest of this year. I will definitely buy it at some point though.

Also ran locked at 60fps on my OC’d gtx670 @ 2560×1440.

• Goty

It really is a lot like Batman: sit around and wait to counter a punch. Still wasn’t too bad, and it ran pretty well flawlessly at 1920×1200 with a mix of medium, high and “extreme” settings with my 5870 and i7 920 both running at stock speeds.

One thing this game reinforces, though, is my hatred of most SSAO implementations; I can’t stand the bright halos around the character models.

• Goty

For the record, the demo weighs in at right around 3.2 GeeBees.

• Srsly_Bro

But I only have 1 TeeBee 🙁

• Haserath

And I only have 1 BeeGee 🙁

• dashbarron

I miss the other two Bee Gee’s too 🙁

• Spotpuff

Deus Ex Human Revolution and Sleeping Dogs… Square’s quickly becoming my favourite PC publisher/studio/whatever.

• cynan

Perhaps a bit ironically, both of those games were made by Canadian studios (Square is the publisher). Deux Ex: HR by Eidos Montreal and Sleeping Dogs by United Front (Vancouver).

• UberGerbil

I don’t see the irony. But the internet and Alanis Morissette have broken the old definition of the word, so maybe I just don’t know what it means anymore.

• BobbinThreadbare

I think he means coincidentally? I’m not sure. Isn’t it ironic?

So is it ironic or coincidental that Alanis Morissette is also Canadian?

• stdRaichu

It’s like 10,000 Canadians when all she needed was a dictionary.

• cynan

Just that it might be a little ironic that the games studio/publisher is now becoming renown for titles developed by new and upcoming studios while its main in house fare has been sort of going downhill over the past few years (ie, recent Final Fantasy titles). But it’s probably not that ironic (which is why I said “perhaps a bit”) as you would maybe expect a studio that has gotten used to resting on their laurels to be a little stale in the innovation department.

• ULYXX

I figured “explosive gun battles” were an automatic feature in these types of games nowadays. 😛

• redwood36

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by this release. I find the world more engrossing than ‘just another american city’, the characters are more sympathetic, and the world looks great! lots of those little hong kong streets one imagines anyway. the combat is more involved than in gta, and some cool slow downs thrown in. Its defiantly more gamepad friendly than keyboard friendly, but ok, it still thinks of the m+k as the primary inputs initially, and not just a bastard child. Personally I think the game looks great for an open world. Its looked to be based on the just cause engine, which didnt look bad also. overall I’d say this is a solid release.

• odizzido

I have no interest in the game so I can only comment about the graphics. They were really strange to me. A mix of unreal2 character models with some 2006 lighting and slightly better textures.

• odizzido

• Goty

Square is steadily restoring my faith in the gaming industry. A decent in-house PC port (potentially) AND a demo? It’s like I’m back in 2000!