New Borderlands 2 trailer is all you need to watch

We’re just 18 days away from the release of Borderlands 2. The game has already made headlines, not least of all because Nvidia decided to bundle it with the new GeForce GTX 660 Ti. Gearbox has now posted a fresh trailer that conveniently recaps everything you need to know about the incoming post-apocalyptic co-op shooter. Check it out below:

Narrated in a sing-songy British accent by Sir Hammerlock, a character from the game, the nearly seven-minute-long video walks you through Borderlands 2‘s locales, character classes, weapons, character specializations, and the all-important plot—which apparently involves a fellow named Handsome Jack, who’s taken over the game’s titular borderlands.

I enjoyed the original Borderlands quite a bit, despite playing more single-player than co-op. I think this trailer confirms my suspicions about Borderlands 2: it’s going to be more of the same, only bigger and badder. I suppose I can get down with that.

Borderlands 2 is due out on September 18 for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. Gearbox says folks who pre-order at “select retailers” will receive membership to the Borderlands 2 Premiere Club, entitling them to “exclusive digital content for your characters” plus a “new character class” dubbed the Mechromancer.

• d0g_p00p

OMG!!!! I was excited before but after watching the new trailer… WOW!!! I know I might be in the minority here but I loved Borderlands 1 and pre-paid for B2.

I think I might have to take one of those rare vacation days of from work for this release. Something I was planning to do for Diablo 3. Glad I saved it. Love Gearbox!!!

• yogibbear

I can probably hold of buying anything new till Dishonoured in 5 weeks time…. given my ridiculous steam back catalogue of unfinished games.

• Deanjo

Meh, nice graphics but still “yet another shooter”. Lost interest in those back in the 90’s.

• Bensam123

Just another D3 style grind the loot till you foam at the mouth. I guess that’s enough for some people, BL1 wasn’t enough for me… BL2 just looks like more of that.

• I.S.T.

If you look at all the previews and random dudes playing it, it seems they’re trying to fix a lot of the flaws of BL1. They’re actually focusing on writing this time, better environments, more monsters, more variation in builds(And not just guns), etc.

• Bensam123

Yeah… which is essentially what D3 was to D2. In the end it’s all about grinding loot though (I’m not referring to endgame or any silliness such as that).

I’ll believe BL2 has a good story when I see it… After playing through BL1 it became painfully apparent that it wasn’t meant to be an attracting factor of the game.

• I.S.T.

What kept me going for BL1 wasn’t just loot, it was to see how my characters would change skillwise, and how they’d handle the various situations.

I’d be fine if there was much less equipment in the game, especially when you consider you won’t come anywhere near close to using 90% of it.

• sweatshopking

you’ll use 10% of a bazillion??????? THAT’S COMMITMENT.

• I.S.T.

I have 300 hours in the game.

Eventually, you do use that many.

• Bensam123

The equipment is there because it’s the attraction factor… I wouldn’t play BL1 for the awesome differentiated skill trees or game play. It may not be the reason you play it, but it is for the majority of folk… Just like D2/3.

• Bensam123

Mentioning skills, that was part of what deterred me from the original game. There was relatively little differentiation in characters when you got stronger. You just got more and more OP, not necessarily that your combination of skills changed or you were required to practice something slightly differently.

You just went on grinding in the same fashion and just got stronger by leveling and putting points in. It was monotonous and boring. Normally in RPGs you look forward to gaining a level so you can put a nice shiny point into something and set yourself apart from the stock build. In BL1 that was completely absent. You looked forward more to the drops then the point for the skill tree, because the point for the skill tree changed relatively little.

I mean the berserker with the berserking build (I forgot the name of the class and the tree) was ridiculously monotonous to the point of wanting to gouge out my eyes. Combat consisted of turning on berserking and having seizures from all the on screen elemental effects and then picking up loot. I had the painful experience of picking this up while thinking they might throw in a leap or something while playing through with my friends.

• lilbuddhaman

But D3 failed at doing all the things they said they would improve from D2….so we should be worried about BL2 in the same right.

Also, the more a game gets advertised the harder it (usually) sucks.

• Spotpuff

I remember BL1 having humongous consolitis at launch. And then a bunch of DLC. I’ll probably hold off until the whole game + dlc is $15.

• cheapFreeAgent

I did that with the first BL. It was around spring ’10 when it was $15 with the dlc.

• l33t-g4m3r

FYI, you can buy the game then wait for a DLC sale. That’s what I did, exception being Dr. Ned. That was worth buying, mostly because I had already beaten the game and zombies rule.

• anotherengineer

Need more BADASS, and maybe a little cowbell 😀

• drfish

*check calendar* Yep, 21st-23rd still clear. Its gold, let us play already!

• oldog

The neologism “badassness” is worth the seven minutes of my life to watch this video.

Very funny stuff.

• willmore

I already gave you people my money in the preorder. What more do you want from me? Give me the game!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhh…………………….

• thesmileman

Extremely funny. but I wish Stewie Griffen could have done the voiceover

• thesmileman

“Because you are a bad-ass you see!”

• odizzido

Too bad this game uses phone home DRM. Rental prices from me I am afraid.

• odizzido

Yeah, I knew I would get downvoted for this. Take that DRM up the ass guys, take it hard and beg for more.

• I.S.T.

Also, I’m not a fan of ANY drm, but if the DRM doesn’t bug me that much I’ll allow it on my system. Bioshock 1’s DRM? I have a legitimate copy of that game on Steam and I still got a YARRRRRR copy simply because its variation of SecuROM is so bad, and I won’t buy Diablo 3 for myself until they fix it(Which they never will). Might get my mom a copy of that announced console version though, she’s been a big fan of it since the ’90s…

Also refuse to get any Ubi game that has that nasty DRM of theirs, or any ye olde Starforce using games.

Yes, I’m rambling a bit, but my point is do not confuse toleration with acceptance.

• albundy

ARRR? YARRRR MAITEE! ubi’s Uplay is the worst pile of @sscr@p ever invented.

• I.S.T.

I’m not a big fan [i<]at all[/i<] of YARRRRRRRRRRing currently sold games unless I already have a copy. The only reason I even own a copy of Bioshock 1 is because someone gave me a free copy of 2, and playing 2 when you haven't played 1 is a bit dumb from what I hear. It's apparently quite reliant storyline wise on the first. I'll admit every once in a while I get dumb and angry at a publisher and YARRRRRRRRR a currently sold game, but I always come to my senses after a bit. I regret it each time, and usually buy the game after(I still need to buy X-Men Origins: Wolverine for that reason... I've lagged on it a bit because Activision is such a **** publisher that a friend who used to work for them called it "The place good games go to die).

• I.S.T.

Phone home DRM? Are you referring to Steamworks?

• Geistbar

I would like to second this inquiry — I know of no additional DRM beyond what is included through being a Steamworks game. Does this have something else on top, or is the Steam DRM being used in a new way, or did you just mean the Steam DRM?

• Forge

He’s trolling. Borderlands 2 uses Steamworks only, which I find entirely acceptable (at least till publishers realize DRM solves nothing).

There is no additional DRM. Activation can be done once and played offline for a very, very long time, if you insist on doing things the hard way for no good reason.

• superjawes

Even then…I’m okay with something like Steamworks as DRM because it adds some functionality rather than just being restrictive.

But still, thanks for clarifying because I, too, thought it was only Steamworks.

• l33t-g4m3r

Count me in. Not to say I don’t hate drm, but steam isn’t that bad. It actually compensates quite well for how bad windows has been for managing your games. The only thing I’ll complain about with steam is their EULA says you’re “subscribing”.

• Washer

Steam is a service, how else would they describe it?

• l33t-g4m3r

Did I say it wasn’t? However, your GAME is NOT a service. For instance, Amazon sells digital software and it is licensed to you. Steam calls your game a “subscription”, that can be “terminated” at their discretion/whim. Is that appropriate? Hell no. If you can’t see the problem here, you are the problem.

• Washer

Without Steam the game is useless, since Steam is a DRM system. They make it clear in the language that you do not own the game. Which is precisely why you’re given a license in the first place and why telling you it’s a subscription is accurate.

I can’t tell if you’re upset with the word subscription or the nature of one. I’m more in the latter group and don’t see much point in complaining about Valve accurately describing Steam.

• l33t-g4m3r

You don’t understand my point. Licenses are a good that you OWN and can legally resell. Steam doesn’t fully license your games to you, they “rent” them to you via “subscriptions” that are limited, terminable, non-exclusive licenses. That’s what a subscription is, which is not the same as being directly licensed. Amazon’s digital marketplace sells you less restricted and personally licensed software. That means you have greater control over your software, unless it’s a steam edition.

The problem here is that Steam is NOT a subscription service in practice, only in words. You aren’t renting your games, they charge retail prices, and steam performs exactly like a digital distributor that has a separate social networking [i<]service[/i<]. Your games are not a service, according to the definition of a service, and neither is the distribution. That's what you paid money for, a good. Amazon digitally distributes their software, and that's not how they word things. Steam words it as a "subscription" solely as an end-run around your rights and the first-sale doctrine. If they claim to be selling "subscriptions", then they theoretically don't have to comply with your rights. The problem is that your games are NOT a subscription in practice, nor would the majority of users continue to pay for games if they fully understood that and knew they were paying a subscription fee. Hell, even boxed copies of games come with steam now, and those have been historically viewed as a resalable good. It's like the saying possession is 9/10's of the law. You paid money for a good, received a good, it's a good. Not a subscription. The only reason I still buy games from steam is that it doesn't feel like a subscription service. When it does, I'll stop using them. I don't think the majority disagrees either, as look how well Onlive's business did.

• Scrotos

Yeah, but I think most games and productivity software has gone that route with licensing. They really really want to change it to renting software, legally, and modify their EULAs accordingly. Not just stuff sold online but also for physical copies of stuff. Take a look at Adobe, as an example: [url<]http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/[/url<] "Adobe products are not sold; rather, copies of Adobe products, including Macromedia branded products, are licensed all the way through the distribution channel to the end user." I think if you go back and dig up the EULAs on your other games, non-Steam and non-GPL, you'll find similar wording. I'm not sure at what point this started to shift, I'm thinking mid 2000's, but at the time I remember there being a hubbub about the change in terminology and the implications thereof. I *think* it was a result of the Autodesk first-sale lawsuit stuff: [url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor_v._Autodesk,_Inc.[/url<] EULAs went more explicit about "you don't own this" while waiting for the courts to decide this and even afterward they never shifted back--why give consumers more power/rights than you have to? No one ever put up enough of a fuss to affect the bottom line of any company that changed their license to be more restrictive in this manner. Now there are examples where pricing restructuring hurt a company--witness VMWare and their by-RAM pricing instead of by-CPU pricing and the backlash that caused them to finally reverse that recently, but as far as giving up legal rights, few consumers care and not enough care to affect any companies.

• Madman

Very well put! You seem to be one of the few people who looks at the root of the problem. And you explained it a lot better than I can.

I’m exclusively GOG or physical media supporter nowadays. I brought one title on Steam and I regret it to this day. I paid a lot of money, and I know that I have exactly 0 control over the purchase right now. I’m fully at the mercy of Steam.

Unfortunately, most people just don’t care, or don’t care enough. So Ubi and Steam can get away with leasing software for retail prices. This also means I will not be able to purchase some titles I really want to buy, because they will never be sold on GOG like platforms.

Of course, things can change, but for that, the critical knowledge and understanding has to dominate the society. And society doesn’t care about rights and stuff like that anymore.

Cloud, DRM, SAAS, leases, it’s all wrong from my point of view, but it still exists…

• sweatshopking

WTF?!!?!? WERE YOU HACKED?

• Geistbar

Thanks for the info! I’m in the same boat — Steam’s DRM is acceptable, though I wish everyone would finally realize how futile their DRM is.

Though first, it’d be nice if they realized that the retailer-specific pre-order bonuses are really, really annoying…

• odizzido

Oh, so steam is so great that if someone says they don’t like it they must be trolling?

• Sargent Duck

DRM is here to stay. There’s no going back. EVER.

That being said, Steam is the “least evil”. It allows you to play the game off-line, doesn’t phone home AND actually adds functionality (such as going to a friends house, logging into your Steam account and downloading a game you own. I used that last month to show a friend an indie game I had bought).

Saying you don’t like Steam is like saying you don’t like airbags in your car. (gah! car analogy. So sorry)

• I.S.T.

Eh, airbags save far more lives than they take or cause injuries, not exactly a good analogy. 😛

And it technically phones home if you count checking for updates and the like, plus whenever a game activates.

• odizzido

DRM has been around in some form or another pretty much since video games were invented. It has just been getting worse.

And to say DRM is here and there is nothing we can do about it is pretty silly. There are places like GOG, humble bundle, and plenty of DRM free indie games to choose from.

If everyone who didn’t like phone home DRM didn’t buy PHDRM games publishers would either stop using it or exit the market. But of course the vast majority of people are quite happy to bend over and take it up the bum because “they can’t do anything”.

Well, you keep doing that, I will just keep buying PHDRM games at rental prices, and things will probably continue to be exactly the same as they are now.

• indeego

There seems to be less DRM than more. Look at iTunes and Amazon’s pullback. They have far larger sales than these publishers pushing DRM.

• JohnC

… But you ARE trolling. It doesn’t matter at all if you dislike Steam since you’re obviously in a vast minority and you actually know that (you said yourself that you expect downvotes for your post), yet you still made this absolutely pointless post… How else to call this? You must be one of those drones who spams their “DRM is evil and EA/Valve black helicopters are coming for you!!!1111” FUD in each game’s “review” section on Amazon…