Deal of the week: Game bundles and uber-cheap SSDs

It’s been a while since we kicked off one of our deal posts with a gaming bonanza. Let’s rectify that, starting with a couple of downloadable game bundles currently on sale at Amazon.

The e-tailer offers the WTF Pack, which includes Borderlands GOTY Edition, Duke Nukem Forever, and The Darkness II for only $19.99. That’s a pretty solid deal, even if you ignore the somewhat lackluster Duke Forever. Also, the Desert to Sea Bundle is available for the same price—$19.99. It combines BioShock, BioShock 2, and Spec Ops: The Line.

If bundles aren’t your thing, Amazon also offers a downloadable copy of Mass Effect 3 for just $15.99. If you don’t mind having to wrestle with physical media, Newegg has a DVD copy of id Software’s Rage available for just $4.99.

We’ve got some hardware bargains, too, of course.

Newegg has OCZ’s Vertex 3 240GB solid-state drive discounted for $179.99 shipped, or $159.99 after the $20 mail-in rebate. The slower Solid 3 120GB solid-state drive, also from OCZ, is on sale for $79.99 shipped, or $69.99 after the $10 MIR. You’re looking at final per-gigabyte prices of 67 and 58 cents, respectively, which is pretty darned cheap for SSDs. Both drives feature 6Gbps Serial ATA connectivity, SandForce controllers, and peak read and write speeds in the vicinity of 500MB/s.

For your mechanical mass storage needs, you might be interested in Seagate’s 3TB Barracuda hard drive—a 7,200-RPM specimen with 64MB of cache and a 6Gbps SATA interface. Newegg offers it for $139.99 shipped right now. Price per gigabyte: just under 5 cents.

Our friends north of the border will surely want to check out NCIX’s Massive Labour Day Sale Event, as well. (That’s right; labor is spelled with a U up in the Great White North.) Sale items include WD’s 3TB Caviar Green hard drive, available for $139.99 CAD, and the aforementioned Vertex 3 240GB SSD from OCZ, which NCIX has listed for $169.99 CAD.

• barich

I get momentarily excited about cheap SSDs, and then see that they’re all OCZ.

No thanks.

• travbrad

It’s not like the good reliable SSDs are THAT much more expensive. A 128GB Crucial M4 is $100. $20 extra for reliability, peace of mind, and 8GB of extra space seems pretty reasonable to me.

• indeego

[url<]http://www.cj.com/[/url<] Meh. I can do without this crap...forever.

• GeorgeMichael

I need more deals.
    That Corsair Vengeance M90 mouse is a very tempting deal at $40 even though I hate the side buttons on that thing.
    I’m debating whether to get the M90 or the Logitech G600…hmm both are cool can’t decide haha.
    [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Peb476D5aPI[/url<]

• RickyTick

Amazon has Metro 2033 for less than $10.

• travbrad

Rage is finally down the the price it’s actually worth.

• guardianl

They’re finally paying us to play it?

• l33t-g4m3r

I see we still have people blaming AMD’s driver problems on id. Because that comment certainly isn’t valid for the game.

• Yeats

l33t-tr0ll

• travbrad

It’s AMD’s fault that RAGE is a generic repetitive linear shooter with a very short playtime that obviously tried to copy Borderlands but utterly failed?

Interesting.

• l33t-g4m3r

Right, because Rage was completely built ground up as a copy of Borderlands. Nevermind that Rage was being developed long before Borderlands even existed. LOGIC FAIL.

Rage was a pretty good step up from id. If you expected more than a shooter though, that’s your own fault. What the hell were you actually expecting? Regardless, Rage delivered more than id’s standard run and gun and included vehicles, items, and a story. Other than the console level graphics, I was impressed and enjoyed it. It was a solid game, and most reviews agree with that. The only people I see saying otherwise are trolls.

Types of Rage troll
          1. AMD’s driver bugs are id’s fault. LOGIC FAIL.
          2. Rage is a clone of Borderlands. LOGIC FAIL.
          3. Non-shooter player.
          4. Bandwagon troll.

If you like shooters, there isn’t any solid reason to not like Rage. Otherwise, stick to your JRPGs and MMO’s and stop criticizing something that you have no business criticizing. Especially if you haven’t even played the game, because you are in no way qualified to make those statements if you haven’t even played it.

• rrr

So I’m gonna be a tough nut to crack for you, because I love me some shooters, but Rage wasn’t one of them. Too generic and uninspiring.

• l33t-g4m3r

[quote<]"some shooters"[/quote<] Right. So you're not a core FPS fan, but you do play [i<]some[/i<] FPS. That doesn't mean much, and you didn't even mention what type of FPS you like. That's like me saying I like MMO's without backing it up and criticizing WOW. Sure, I've played some RPG's, but that doesn't qualify me as an expert MMO reviewer. I don't even finish RPG's half of the time. Oblivion and Morrowind are still on my finish list, and I liked those. You know who are proven expert reviewers though? Actual expert reviewers who write articles for magazines and websites, and they liked Rage. Also, user ratings are quite high, albeit higher on consoles. Here's another point, you're obviously not starting fail logic threads just to crap on the game, so you don't directly fall on my rage troll list. However, you do fall on the jaded fps category, which puts you on the same level as someone like Krogoth. Nothing impresses you anymore unless it blows everything else out of the water, and no Rage didn't do that. Rage wasn't that generic, aside from borderlands being released before it was. That's what made Rage seem generic, which was no fault of the game. Id did take too long releasing it, because if Rage was released before Borderlands we wouldn't even be having this discussion. You also might be one of those who think 90% of all shooters are generic. Maybe they are, so what? If you actually like shooters, you aren't going to complain about "generic" games, you're going to complain about BAD games. Calling Rage a generic FPS isn't even an insult to a core FPS fan, that's more like a compliment and recommendation to go buy it. We know a lot of people like other genres and get tired of "generic" shooters, so we don't listen to them because their preferences don't align with ours. Crysis had similar negative feedback, but did that stop people from enjoying it? No. Both Rage and Crysis had teething issues, and both were eventually addressed, and even though they were "generic" people still enjoyed them, so I don't see an actual problem here. TLDR: You just gave Rage a compliment. TX.

• Waco

TLDR: You’re a Rage fanboi and can’t stand that it’s a terrible game that nobody actually likes. Got it.

• l33t-g4m3r

TLDR: I like most FPS, including Rage, and you’re a troll. Got it.

• rrr

Fail. And a pretty epic one too.

You just went on a tirade after I used a colloquial form and then told yourself everything you want to believe without actaully knowing ANYTHING about the games I do play. Talk about getting butt-hurt over others not liking the same game as you do.

• travbrad

[quote<]If you like shooters, there isn't any solid reason to not like Rage. Otherwise, stick to your JRPGs and MMO's and stop criticizing something that you have no business criticizing. [/quote<] So if you like shooters you HAVE to like every shooter there is? "LOGIC FAIL" as you would say. Every game I have installed on my PC right now is a shooter, so obviously I don't like shooters. Skyrim and Civ5 are pretty much the only recent games I've played that aren't shooters (and Skyrim I played a lot like a shooter, mostly sneak/archery) For the record I don't think RAGE is a bad game either (it's worth $5-10 IMO), it's just mediocre in almost every way, which is disappointing coming from one of the companies who created the genre. The graphics/smoothness was actually the most impressive thing about it, but no amount of graphic fidelity can make up for mediocre gameplay.

• l33t-g4m3r

[quote<]"So if you like shooters you HAVE to like every shooter there is?"[/quote<] No, but it helps if there is some context to your claims, which IMO is nothing more than another opinion lost in the sea of worthless opinions. Not saying my opinion is more valid than yours, only that I'm in line with the majority who likes Rage, and you're not. There is a very obvious and vocal minority of irrational haters of this game, and I think they're full of it. The drivers problems were AMD's fault, the game is not a Borderlands clone, nor is it generic because Rage isn't copying anything. Rage is something completely new from id, and mediocre is not a valid description of it. If you think Rage is mediocre, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Crysis and Metro 2033. What were you expecting from Rage? Some sort of new open world RPG FPS? Hell, no. Rage never claimed to be that, and if that's what you were expecting, no freaking wonder you didn't like it. I expected Rage to be a shooter, which it was all that and a bag of chips, and I had fun playing it. I'm sorry you didn't, so maybe you should stop playing shooters.

• travbrad

[quote<] I had fun playing it. I'm sorry you didn't[/quote<] As I said it was a somewhat enjoyable game, I just don't feel it was anything special or deep enough to warrant a $50 price. [quote<]so maybe you should stop playing shooters.[/quote<] So because I didn't think Rage was a great game I should stop playing First-Person-Shooters, a genre I love (and the genre that got me started on PC gaming with Wolfenstein 3D)? Okay then... *Uninstalls BF3, L4D2, CS:S, MWO, STALKER CoP, ARMA2, and DAYZ* [quote<]only that I'm in line with the majority who likes Rage[/quote<] The majority of people like "reality TV" too. I'm proud to not be in the majority. [quote<]The drivers problems were AMD's fault[/quote<] I don't even have an AMD card nor did I have any graphics issues so I don't know why you keep bringing up AMD drivers. Like I said the graphics were the most impressive thing about Rage. [quote<]Rage is something completely new from id[/quote<] In what way is it completely new? Doom 3 with outdoor corridors is "completely new"? The engine is certainly something new, but I see nothing new about the gameplay whatsoever.

• paulWTAMU

I bought it on a Steam Sale and have enjoyed the hell out of it. Fun game.

• superjawes

Darkness II is also $12:50 on it’s own via Steam’s Weekend Deal, if you already have Borderlands or have no interest in it.

• l33t-g4m3r

Plays like a first person darksiders. Didn’t care for the story, good thing cutscenes are skippable.

• DancinJack

Without going into the ending and all the controversy, is ME3 worth 16 bucks?

• James296

depends…if you want multiplayer action, yes. if your in it for the story, not really (for me the story was meh)

• burntham77

If you enjoyed the first two games, as I did, yes. I liked ME3 very much and had minimal issues with the ending.

• Pettytheft

It was a great game all the way up to the end. Only thing other than the ending that sucked were the stupid Max Payne dream sequences.

• yogibbear

If you believe in IT then yes the entire game is worth it. If you don’t, then you clearly rushed through the game spamming everything and skipping all dialogue.