Revamped Steam Community opens its doors

Valve’s Steam distribution system continues to evolve into more of a social gaming platform. After an apparently short beta period entailing some 440,000 testers, the new Steam Community is now live. The update’s features are detailed here, and some of them look pretty compelling.

All game-related content, from discussions threads to screenshots to workshop items, is now organized into hubs tied to each title. Every game has a hub, and player votes determine which content floats to the top. Although player-created groups don’t get their own content pools, they have been given separate discussion areas. Looks like Valve has also made it easier for folks to browse groups they might like to join.

The Steam Community lives off user-generated content, and the latest update is supposed to make it easier for gamers to manage all their uploads. Yes, there’s an image wall. What social-savvy community would be without one? Friends are an essential ingredient, too, but that section of the Steam interface has been separated from the Community pages and now exists on its own. Players have the ability to set their status—”still waiting for Episode 3,” perhaps—and comment on a Facebook-like feed of content from their friends.

Admittedly, I’ve never really gotten into the social side of gaming services. I do miss the camaraderie, trash talking, and other social aspects of the LAN parties of my youth, though. The Steam Community might be the next best thing.

• jeffz6

My comfindence in Steam is dropping. They are concentrating on many new doodaa’s and loosing focus on the games. There best feature, backups? seem to be broken nowdays.

• NeronetFi

I am not a fan of this new Steam Community. Mainly when trying to get to the game forums from my library, it keeps defaulting to the new community layout and that is just horrible when you just want to browse the forums for a game. I finally just setup a bookmark to the Steam Game Forums in my browser.

• Bensam123

Meh… Maybe I’m getting old, but stuff like this doesn’t appeal to me. Social networking consumes tons and tons of time and while it’s cool and everything, I’m sure everyone at Valve thought this was a great idea, I don’t plan on ever using it nor do my friends.

Really FB is the one true social site, like it or not. I don’t have time nor would I want to put more effort into another one (TR consumes plenty of it and I rarely visit the forums!). Dice did the same thing with BF3. It seems to be the new hotness to clone FB and try to cram it into whatever product model you’re offering, so you too can get a piece of that user created content. More then likely it’ll go unused for the majority of gamers or will garner a small group of dedicated individuals who spend all their time there…

Forums are one thing… Really companies should be looking to integrate with FB rather then attempting to clone it. Perhaps with a anonymity wall between the two. Of course the idea of that is pretty sickly to any big company. Why would ‘they’ team up with another big company when they can do the same!??! It’s a ego thing.

Although FB itself needs to adjust a bit in order to accommodate this content (like forums for instance, actual places for content rather then streams of it).

• travbrad

Yeah ever since MySpace and Facebook everyone seems to want to jump on the “social” bandwagon and build their own social networks, even when it’s completely unnecessary. Steam already had all the social functionality I want. Chatting and joining friends games is good enough for me. The new features thankfully don’t get in the way or force you to use them though, and a lot of people probably won’t even know they exist.

To be honest I think Facebook is mostly a waste of time too, but at least that’s where everyone already is. I guess I’m just old-fashioned but if I want to talk to someone I’ll meet them in person or talk on the phone/skype. Facebook is the new answering-machine (where people you don’t want to talk to leave messages)

[quote<]old-fashioned...skype[/quote<] I lol'd. Like fer realz.

• paulWTAMU

I didn’t LOL. I just felt old.

• BobbinThreadbare

I don’t want a one true social networking site.

I like having my different social groups compartmentalized and not aware of each other.

• Bensam123

lol… there are privacy options on FB for ‘compartmentalizing’ your friends from one another. I don’t think a double life is something most users have to worry about though and while I may not be a shining example of what someone should be, perhaps something is off if you have to keep your friends separate from one another.

The only problem I see with FB is in some cases you don’t want to give out your contact information or your real name. That could be easily fixed with more privacy options though.

• Jason181

The “game hubs” are just a mess imho. A bunch of stuff all wedged into a single page, with no apparent systematic organization. The idea might be good, but it’s going to take some time to learn what does and doesn’t work. Steam itself seemed like a pipe dream (couldn’t resist!) when it was released, so although I’m not impressed, I’ll take the “wait and see” approach, and ignore it completely if it never pans out.

• Bensam123

Yeah, it’s definitely a mess of statistics content (basically they just give priority to whatever the mob wants) with little organization. Personally Steam has aways seemed to have a really messy layout, with buttons under buttons under buttons.

• destroy.all.monsters

I trust Valve more than Facebook that’s for sure.

• travbrad

They definitely have a lot better games.

• LovermanOwens

It will be interesting to check out once I get home.

• LovermanOwens

I don’t know how many more social sites I could possibly engage in.

• internetsandman

You could have the most insightful, heartfelt and thought provoking comment ever, but if you precede it with first, you just look like a tool

• LovermanOwens

I sadly wasn’t first. 🙁

And then it’s just funny!

• BoBzeBuilder

First. Gabe ate my cake.

• LovermanOwens

DARN, so close

His comment URL: [url<]https://techreport.com/news/23520/revamped-steam-community-opens-its-doors?post=666415#666415[/url<] Your comment URL: [url<]https://techreport.com/news/23520/revamped-steam-community-opens-its-doors?post=666417#666417[/url<] You were second.

• superjawes

URL’d?

• lilbuddhaman

URLown’D?

• yogibbear

It’s like getting punked only with more punctuation.

• sweatshopking

well done sire!

• anotherengineer

Looks like he ate more than just your cake 😀