$5 Win8 app skips Metro on startup

If you were reading the news last month, you might have heard that the release version of Windows 8 won’t allow folks to boot straight into the desktop. A trip through the Metro Modern UI Style interface will, it seems, be mandatory on every bootup.

That is, unless you have $4.95 burning a hole in your pocket. As CNet News reports, a firm called Thinix has released a $4.95 Windows 8 app that lets you bypass the Metro start screen at boot time. The app is dubbed RetroUI, and it behaves like so:

That’s not all the $4.95 entry fee will get you. RetroUI also has controls for disabling some other Windows 8 features, like the Charms Bar and hot corners—two Metro features that are, by default, enabled in the desktop interface.

One thing RetroUI won’t do for you is restore the old Start menu, though. For that, you’ll need yet more third-party software. We mentioned a Samsung widget with pseudo-Start-menu functionality last week, and CNet outlines several other options here.

RetroUI can be downloaded from the official website. You get a seven-day "fully-functional" trial before having to pay up.

• moog

I can’t believe it’s not butter.

• albundy

Balls has got got give some motivating factor to push this, like when vista was a force-able upgrade. otherwise no dice.

good examples would be:

1- you want dx12, u upgrade. prior win versions wont get it.
    2-make a real reason that people want to upgrade, like to have instant-on on boot

• Rand

Alternatively you could download the ‘Slip Metro Suite’ which disabled all the hot corners and skips the desktop, basically everything this application does except free.

Then download either Classic Shell or Stardock’s Start8 depending on preference to get the Start Menu.

There is zero reason to purchase this when free alternatives exist that do the same thing equally well.

• destroy.all.monsters

Here’s the link for the suite in case anyone is looking for it: [url<]http://winaero.com/[/url<] Perhaps not but it's a good thread for information for those that want to (or have to) run Win 8 and want to run it their way. RetroUI is supposed to tie into one of their upcoming apps as well so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. It might just be easier to use than the other alternatives - we just don't know yet.

• Shouefref

I think we can expect some nice overview articles about ways and apps to avoid that Modern UI Style thing.

• DeadOfKnight

Isn’t Stardock’s Start8 free? It has this feature as well.

• sweatshopking

some of you guys seem to totally miss the point of this new OS. it’s not about you. it’s about the millions of people that think the current desktop is too confusing.

My wife is technically savvy. i am always messing with stuff, and dicking with it, and installing new stuff, and she always figures it out. Gimp/photoshop have been around for years. MSpaint has as well, but for the first time ever, my wife has been drawing like crazy on the fresh paint app. it’s clear, it’s easy, and it has less features. THAT’S WHAT SHE WANTS. yes, for some of us it’ll be less useful. but we’re not average.

im currently in community college, and every person over 40 is totally confused with the current desktop. i have to take entry computer classes, and it’s mostly older people that have no idea. i show them 8 and they think it’s incredible. they’re not confused after about 30 seconds. it’s for them, not for you.

• l33t-g4m3r

The UI is only part of the problem. Windows8 is paving the way towards being more like Apple.

• Majiir Paktu

Right, which is why we hate it, aren’t buying it and aren’t installing it.

• NeelyCam

Good luck with that

• destroy.all.monsters

I’m not buying this explanation. I’ve been in the Apple store numerous times (don’t worry – not for myself) and seen people easily grasp their UI. The vast numbers of sixty somethings I’ve seen with Ipads also had no problem grasping the UI. Now I figured hell would freeze over before I’d say that I preferred a Mac UI to a Windows one but here we are.

On a side note there are a lot of people that don’t like the whole way MS is headed – slowly creating a walled garden, forced UI changes, etc. The bottom line is that even if it brings positive things with it – swallowing it is still ultimately poisonous.

• sweatshopking

THAT’S A personal choice. it’s a or b. it’s not to say that apple’s ui is bad. it isn’t. it’s just different. this is after the ipad people, but it still gives you what you want.

• destroy.all.monsters

You’re saying it’s targeted at 40+. I’m not buying that because of its highly connected, social media focused, nature as well as a UI that is overly busy despite appearing deceptively simple. Further apps like Office are a painful shade of white from all the demos I’ve seen.

If anything I would say that due to the above reasons it’s actually more targeted to teens and tweens – where it will be outclassed by IOS in both apps and desirability.

The old desktop paradigm isn’t this antiquated thing that some people are saying it is. Having had to show people around both Windows and Mac through the years I don’t think that the old paradigm is all that difficult to grasp (or for that matter IOS’es which is a sort of hybrid but one that’s truly functional).

I can’t speak to Win 8 but I’ve spent some time on WP7 and I have to say that the overall polish is not there compared to IOS.

Sure it’s a different choice – I think we primarily disagree on who we think the target market is – and why as well as the ease of use of various UIs.

• Kurotetsu

[quote=”sweatshopking”<]it's about the millions of people that think the current desktop is too confusing. [/quote<] And thats fine. Nobody is saying it can't cater to them. The issue is how Windows 8 must cater ONLY to them and no one else. Apparently, Microsoft can't be bothered to make the Computer Illiterate UI an option that can be changed easily. Instead you need 3rd party apps to make that happen. Hell, Linux Mint, Linux in general really, gives you option of choosing between AT LEAST 4 different desktop UIs. This has been a feature of it for years. Why is it Microsoft apparently can't be arsed to even provide 2? (and no, I'm not jumping to Linux for my desktop) Even OS X makes an attempt to cater to the illiterate and the savvy.

• travbrad

Exactly. Most of the complaints about Win8 would go away if Microsoft just provided a simple setting for “power users” to disable Metro. You shouldn’t need to buy/use 3rd party apps to do that. What’s next I’ll need an app to change my IP Address?

I just don’t see how allowing people to disable Metro would have a detrimental impact on the “mainstream” users whatsoever. They are never going to change the default settings or even know that option exists anyway.

• sweatshopking

[quote<] I'll need an app to change my IP Address [/quote<] seriously a good idea for an app. any of you developers should pump out a networking app that has an easier way o do this!!! it'll make money!!

• travbrad

[quote<]some of you guys seem to totally miss the point of this new OS. it's not about you. it's about the millions of people that think the current desktop is too confusing. [/quote<] That's all well and good but in my experience people hate CHANGE on their PC more than anything. Even going from WinXP to Win7 I've heard a lot of complaints about how everything is different, even though the UI is actually very similar, just more polished. For someone using a PC for the very first time Metro might make some sense, but very few people are using a PC for the first time. I still think it's an awkward UI to use with a mouse too.

• End User

Are you kidding me? Just wait until these “millions of people that think the current desktop is too confusing” buy their awesome Windows 8/RT tablets and start getting smacked around between the Metro UI and the Desktop UI. It is going to be UGLY.

• tootercomputer

I have Win 8 on an old laptop with a Mushkin SSD and it flies. Anyway, I just came back from a work situation where I actually had my laptop on my, well, lap. And I so wish it had a touch screen because I was reading a PDF and, given the way I was seated, it would have been so easy to scroll down with my thumb on the screen, just like I do on my ipad, and more convenient than using my scroll controls..

Win 8 will be a hit, the Surface will be a huge hit, and a few years from now everything will be touch screen. IMHO.

• Shouefref

BTW: does somebody know which camera Nokia actually used for that ad? It looks like a neat thing. Could use one.

• Shouefref

Maybe MS had that extra click so compagnies would make apps to avoid that click so Ballmer could say at the end of 2013: “See, there are more apps for W8 then for Android or Apple!” [shouting, of course]

• steelcity_ballin

Or you could just skip windows 8 since 7 is working great and 8 has absolutly nothing compelling.

• Shouefref

Or do like my neighbour: he always skips a version; skipped Xp, skipped 7… Guess.

• kvndoom

Hmmm, Millinneum>Vista>Win8 …

he’s a masochist, eh?

I think so.

• GTVic

The only bad thing about Windows 8 so far is that the Troll population has increased 10-fold.

Since you’ve obviously NOT done a detailed review, I’ll NOT take your word for it. If you are just going to mindlessly repeat what other uninformed people are saying then why bother typing up a post?

I’ve actually used Windows 8 and just like other people that have taken the time to get used to it, I’ve realized that while the new interface might not work too well for desktop users, the desktop and task bar are still there and everything people are used to doing with the start menu can be done just as easily in Windows 8 using other methods.

• BIF

I don’t mind the Metro interface all that much, and I even think it will have some useful utility.

But I really object to the removal of the start button and the start menu, both of which are very fast for text-based minds. The new UI is fine…but just don’t take away the paths that most of us are used to.

Not being able to boot to the desktop is just one of many dubious choices Microsoft is imposing on desktop and laptop users, but asking for $5 for a kludge fix that fails to even properly hide Metro on bootup? Really?

Classic Shell is free, does more, and works better.

RetroUI is DOA. It’s not booting to the desktop that really irks people I talk to, it’s the loss of their traditional start menu and control panel links.

• Shouefref

It’s not booting to the desktop and the loss of their traditional start menu and control panel links and all other things.
      It’s everything taken together.
      And having no choice of course. In the land of the free. Ha!.

• drfish

I’d like to see a poll on how many people that have run the RTM version still hate the start menu/metro… I know I couldn’t care less at this point*. I spend 99% of my time on the desktop and when I need the “start menu” its perfectly serviceable. If you use your Windows key and then type to search (just like I did in Win7) its just not a big deal.

* – Bought a Windows Phone 7 device at launch and looking forward to owning a Lumia 920 in a couple months. I am a self proclaimed fan of the so called “Modern UI Style” even though I don’t use it much on the desktop so far.

• d0g_p00p

While I am slowly getting use to Metro I still miss the start menu. I also have a keyboard that does not have the windows key for shortcuts. I have never placed shortcuts on my desktop and always launched apps either from the start menu or from explorer directly. Lack of a start menu in W8 is clunky but I guess I’ll have to adapt since this seems to be the direction MS is going.

I have orderd a Lumia 920 with W8. And a professional camera to go with it. 🙂

• Forge

I don’t get it. Classic Shell does this and more, and is 5$ cheaper. Classic Shell, if set to run on Startup, kicks you out of Metro before you even really see it.

• mno

Yeah, this isn’t remotely newsworthy. Classic Shell even gives you a start menu too, along with other options.

• Bensam123

There’s an app for that.

I wonder if they offer a money back guarantee for when MS breaks this.

• not@home

So, you pay lots of money to buy a broken OS and then pay $5 to this company to fix part of it and $5 to that company to fix another part of it…

Why should I “upgrade” to win 8?

• Shouefref

It’s not about “upgrading”, it’s about new devices. You won’t get them with W7 anymore. Unless you first pay the W8 version, they pay to get it off it, and then pay for W7 to be installed. Like what happened with Vista -> XP. They call that “a rip-off”.

• sweatshopking

first off, ripp isn’t a word. it’s rip-off.
        second, you want to pay somebody to downgrade you, that’s your call. the 8 license does include downgrading rights, actually, excellent downgrading rights. if you want to, go for it. i’ll be enjoying my almost instant boot on my laptop, access to the metro store (fresh paint is really cool), and all the additional features that come with my win 8 pro rtm.

• moose17145

Nothing you listed is worth having windows 8 over.

– I already have an almost instant boot on my 3 year old Core 2 laptop with windows 7 pro.
          – OOOooo an app store! Finally I can play angry birds on my phone AND my computer!
          – Fresh paint looks like just another pointless time waster just like angry birds.
          – Also the “modern UI Style” (uhg god that has to be the worst name for a UI design ever) just looks terrible to me. Honestly, I think Aero is WAY easier on the eyes. Some will disagree, but this whole bland looking monochrome everything look honestly just looks awful. But that’s okay! Im sure there is a 5 dollar app that can change that!!!

All I see with windows 8 is that they are going to try to start nickel and diming people to death just like they try to do on smart phones with all these “Apps”. A dollar here… a dollar there, 5 dollars here… and before you know it you have spent 150 dollars on useless crap that only hinders productivity.

• mcnabney

I put my computer to sleep at night. It requires a whopping 1 second to fully wake and start working.

• theonespork

Drama Queen much?

It is not a “broken OS”. Its merits are debatable to be sure for those accustomed to the Windows ecosystem, but for years people have screamed for innovation from Microsoft. Well, now, for better or worse, we have it. I do not LOVE 8. I am not sure I even like it. I do like seeing Microsoft awake from its seeming decade slumber of broken promises and abandoned innovations. Also, I would point out I am not so sure Windows 8 is even for me. I am 39 years old and I do not really much care for the Twitter/Facebook/APP world of youth. I prefer more personal boundaries and more interpersonal contact than the younger generations. Windows 8 is a stab at that market. The growth market. Not the growing old market.

• Shouefref

Nor wilt the world of youth care much about Twitter/Facebook/app in 5 years time. Especially if they notice their parents use it to spy on them and their friends.

• theonespork

It is a next big thing culture. It really doesn’t even matter if the last big thing still works well or the next big thing does nothing exceptionally well or different. It is NEXT. It is BIG. It is a THING. CRAVE IT.

• ShadowTiger

Stardock’s Start8 app is free (its in beta and will have a paid upgrade version eventually) and it also lets you boot directly to the desktop… and it reintroduces a start menu type of interface. I feel like it should also be mentioned here.

Win+X on the desktop will always be free if you’re missing Start Menu functionality.

• sweatshopking

and it’s probably the number one killer feature of 8. makes 7 drive me crazy.

• pedro

Or: Spend the $5 on the extra electricity and don’t power off the computer.

• Shouefref

That sounds less clever to me. I would prefer to pay the $5.

• TurtlePerson2

This isn’t made by Microsoft, so they won’t have any motivation to stop someone from creating an application that does the exact same thing. I’m pretty sure that you won’t have to pay $5 to get an application with such simple functionality.

• Shouefref

If Ballmer’s wet dream about 400 million W8’s by the end of 2013 is true, then I know a company which is going to be rich by the end of that year only by collection 5 bucks a piece.

• Sahrin

I don’t know if getting $5 from the few hundred people whose minds can’t handle change is going to make them rich.

Yeah, I’m not paying $5 to get rid of something that I’ve adjusted to very easily.

• Shouefref

They say the devil even got used to the fire. Your adjustment doesn’t tell me a thing.

• sweatshopking

it IS better. I boot, and instantly see if I have emails, the weather, etc. all up to date. I like having the desktop, but I like seeing that info, automatically up to date, when I turn on my computer. it improves my efficiency, not detracts.

I can’t imagine paying 5$ for something that SAVES ONE CLICK. it’s not like it doesn’t show metro, it just auto clicks desktop. you’d have to be crazy to pay that.

• thanatos355

While I disagree about Metro, I am forced to agree with the sheer idiocy of paying $5 for this “app”. Even if it were 100% free, it would be idiotic.

• Shouefref

But I don’t need all of that.
            The Modern UI Style only means more clicking to do.
            It’s MS forcing somebody’s favorite way of doing things onto somebody else.
            It should have been implemented as an option, but MS NEVER implements something new as an option. It’s to force us to notice it.

• Shouefref

It’s my experience that a new OS is only quicker in the beginning After a week or two, things start to slow down. After a month, it isn’t quick anymore.
            It all depends on the programs you put on it. Only a naked windows pc is fast.

• Malphas

Grow up, Shouefref. Your car analogy is absurd as you probably secretly know and your reaction is completely overblown. I’m willing to bet my house and life savings on the fact that the vast majority of consumers are going to adjust to Metro fine, and only a small minority of nerds are going to whine about it; the same way they whined about the changes to the Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 7, Luna in XP, etc.

• thanatos355

Win 98 SE, best OS evah!

• moose17145

It’s hardly an absurd example. Also, it’s not metro specifically that everyone is bitching about. It’s the fact that MS is forcing it down everyones throats. Even those who don’t want it. It wouldn’t have taken much for them to make it an option that you can disable. In fact that would have been less work than it took them to tear out all the old start menu code from the OS.

• Shouefref

There’s no need trying to explain something to somebody like SSK or some others here. They don’t care for an explanation, cause they work directly or indirectly for MS. Or they act like children: they also always want to have the newest toys. Grow up.

• sweatshopking

i don’t work for anybody. IN FACT i don’t have ANY job. currently unemployed. I DO like metro though, and think windows 8 is an improvement.

• l33t-g4m3r

True, but also consider that Metro is programmed in WinRT which is locked down and all apps have to come from Microsoft. The reason Metro is front and center is because it’s a [i<]money grab[/i<]. Even if you liked the GUI, which is [url=http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/09/can-a-touchscreen-fix-windows-8-on-the-desktop/<]terrible[/url<] for a desktop, it's still a vendor lock-in scheme. That's the real reason Microsoft doesn't want you bypassing it. The unwashed masses will have the App store shoved in their face and the gullible ones will buy their apps there. Of course, none of these apps will be backwards compatible with older windows because WinRT/Metro apps are exclusive to windows 8, meaning that anyone jumping on the app bandwagon will make very little profit compared to making a good Win32 app, but then again maybe their app sucks so bad they need the exclusivity to make sales. Truthfully, I'm surprised Microsoft even allowed this app on the store, but it's also too early to say they've ignored it. The way I see it, the more hacks the better. I'm still waiting to see a hack that completely removes Metro from memory altogether, but why bother when Windows 7 works good enough. That said, I don't see ANY reason to upgrade other than you like ridiculously flashy colors, beta smartphone GUIs, vendor lock in, or are buying a tablet. Tablets are the ONLY platform that even remotely justifies using Windows 8.

As SSK pointed out (?!) there are real improvements in the Start screen. For the first time ever, the place where Windows drops you off does something useful.

• Shouefref

I wonder how much people would react that way if they decided to turn over the position of the steering handle, brake & speed padle and so on in cars.
        Change for change is not good.
        Change to make things better is good.
        Modern style does not make desktops better.
        Modern style is only an attempt to make MS’s accounts better.

• DaveSylvia

[quote=”Shouefref”<]That sounds less clever to me. I would prefer to pay the $5.[/quote<] Are you sure you're not affiliated with RetroUI and it's company in some way?

• Shouefref

Fact is you will pay more for you electricity than 5$ if you leave on the pc without ever shutting it down.

• Shouefref

I didn’t know there were free apps to do that.
            I do know that some of the early birds who found ways to circumvent the Modern, were easily blocked by MS afterwards.

• Shouefref

It looks as if somebody here is just having a good time downvoting others.

• BIF

It’s your opinion of course, so I won’t downvote you. But this is a very snooty and unfair comment.

User Interface changes should always be made with due care and consideration for the user. Anything less is an insult.