Diaspora offers Battlestar Galactica space combat for free

Like many old-school PC gamers, I spent a fair amount of my youth playing space combat sims like Wing Commander. Years later, a good chunk of my life was consumed by watching the Battlestar Galactica reboot. Now, there’s a game that combines the two. After four years of development, Hard Light Productions has released Diaspora: Shattered Armistice, a space combat sim set in the Battlestar universe. The game is based on the Freespace 2 Source Code Project, an open-source engine, and it’s entirely free. Here’s the official release trailer:

The graphics don’t look all that great, but the music just gave me goosebumps. Yeah, I’m a big BSG fan.

At only 1.3GB, the Diaspora download is about the size of a modern game demo. The hardware requirements are pretty lax, calling for a dual-core processor and DirectX 9-class graphics. You don’t even need to be running Windows; Diaspora is available for Mac OS X and Linux, as well.

Despite its release, Diaspora is somewhat unfinished. The single-player campaign appears to be complete, but the multiplayer is “very much in beta.” Interested parties can join the multiplayer beta by following these instructions. Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the tip.

• Delphis

Same ‘camera work’ as the series.. made me chuckle.

• Code:[M]ayhem

This game looks about as exciting as a salt water enema…..:yawn:

• Grigory

You had me at enema. The salt water only sweetens the deal! 😀

• TAViX

Man, this game is great, yet a little to difficult.

• odizzido

Reminds me of starlancer which was good fun. I might give it a shot later.

• ModernPrimitive

So say we all !

• l33t-g4m3r

Why’d they have to call it Diaspora? Makes me think about that open source social network.

• Bensam123

I LOVED BSG. I still consider it the finest non-animated series I’ve ever seen. It’s up there with Game of Thrones, Spartacus (first season and Gods of the Arena), and The Newsroom. Amazingly well played out series (even though I disliked the Caprica arc).

This, however, just looks like a mod playing on peoples nostalgia of the series. BSG is something very hard to live up to and this doesn’t look like it comes anywhere close except for an attempt at making voices sound fuzzy like they do inside ships and probably one musical track that plays over and over again in the background.

I’ll pass. If this is still around in two or three more years it may be worth playing.

• Vrock

Battlestar Galactica reboot was great until they started the political BS with New Caprica. I stopped watching after that.

The old series holds up well. There’s a few stinker episodes, but overall, I prefer the old to the new. And I was two when the old one was on TV, so there’s no nostalgia to color my perception.

Seriously, keep your liberal politics out of my entertainment. Please.

• BobbinThreadbare

It was good until the writers couldn’t stop contradicting themselves at every turn and in the end threw their hands up in the air and gave up.

I gave up in season 3, so I guess I can’t blame them too much.

• Vrock

When did they find New Caprica? End of Season 2, part 1? I remember thinking “wow, I wonder if there’s any Iraq War symbolism here?” as I rolled my eyes and changed the channel.

• Ringofett

And then, the final episode. Wtf. Yes, lets return ourselves to nature, to ignorance, to dieing by the age of 20 from common infections, parasites, malaria and the flu, where every day is a struggle to forage from the ground small scraps of food and spend time not spent hunting and foraging doing menial, back-breaking work. No governments, no laws, just survival of the most brutal. Any sane group would’ve set up a base camp and tried their best to rebuild their population and preserve their thousands of years of technological and scientific advancement, but no, they had to go the Green Peace route.

One of the worst show endings in the history of sci-fi, IMO.

• Captain Ned

Theres a FS2 mod for Babylon 5 as well:

[url<]http://babylon.hard-light.net/[/url<]

• Vrock

Babylon 5 is the Rodney Dangerfield of TV Sci-Fi: it gets no respect.

That’s for a reason, though.

• cheesyking

Burn the unbeliever!

Seriously, next you’ll be saying you don’t like Lexx!

• Vrock

Never heard of it/him.

• lilbuddhaman

Lexx is a totally different entity. For one it embraces sexuality, instead of fearing it.

• cheesyking

True but the low rent 90s CGI and frequent hammy acting gives both series a similar look. If you only saw a 2 minute clip of each you’d probably think they were pretty much the same sort of thing.

… Provided the 2 minute clip of lexx wasn’t Xev (pretty lady) taking a shower under a giant latex phallus. I think most people would realise Lexx was not quite a space opera after seeing that.

• thanatos355

And now I have to re-watch BSG. Thanks, Geoff.

• Vrock

Cylons look like humans. The humans eventually find Earth, then find it again, and then Starbuck disappears because she’s an angel or some such nonsense. There’s the Final Five “hidden” Cylons, but who cares, because the writers got all confused and decided that Jimi Hendrix was somehow relevant to the story arc. Also, Baltar is Saddam Hussein and/or fill in the blank evil guy. There, I saved you like 20 hours. You’re welcome.

• Bensam123

Why did such a spoiler post get rated up?

• BobbinThreadbare

Rosebud was the name of his sled.

• willyolio

snape kills dumbledore.

• thanatos355

Malcolm Crowe was dead the whole time.

• Grigory

The origin of V’ger was the Voyager probe.

• dac7nco

Darth is Luke’s Father… written on the back of the theater chair in front of me in 1981.

• sweatshopking

I WASN’T BORN YET.

• BobbinThreadbare

I’m surprised it took this long for this spoiler.

• thesmileman

Because he saved the OP watching hours of show that went from great to udder shit.

• thanatos355

You guys should re-read my original post. I said “re-watch”, RE as in watch again. 😛

Started off great, had a muddy middle (as so many shows do) and finished ok.

• mcnabney

No joystick support…. and they call it a space sim.

• ChronoReverse

Huh, the Freespace 2 engine (and the corresponding FS2-Open engine used here) has always had joystick support.

• mcnabney

I read further. They don’t advertise it, and it is buggy, but you can get joysticks to function as a controller.

• ChronoReverse

Yeah no. The top FS2_Open multiplayer pilots use joysticks and the FS2 engine was meant to be played with a joystick but also added mouse control. I actually turned some heads myself because I managed to almost keep pace using a mouse.

• TurtlePerson2

I played FS-Open with my Logitech joystick and had 0 problems. Joysticks are fully supported.

• MaxTheLimit

Joysticks supported just fine…just like FS2

Only thing is you’ll need the keyboard as well unless your joystick has 100 buttons.

• yogibbear