Rumor: 13-inch Retina MacBook, new iMacs already shipping

Love the new MacBook Pro with Retina display but hate the $2,199 asking price? Well, good news. According to DigiTimes, which says it was tipped off by "sources from the upstream supply chain," shipments of a new MacBook Pro with a smaller, 13" Retina display are already underway. The system will reportedly launch "in either September or October."

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard about a 13" Retina MacBook Pro. Back in July, a system fitting that description quietly popped up in the Geekbench online results database. The machine featured a dual-core Core i5-3520M processor and 4GB of DDR3-1600 RAM. And in June, a financial analyst predicted an October launch for such a machine, adding that it would likely feature a 0.71"-thick chassis, solid-state storage, and a 2560×1600 panel driven by Intel integrated graphics.

(Apple’s 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display has a discrete GeForce GPU powering its 2880×1800 panel, but the 13" model may indeed be stuck with Intel integrated graphics. None of the 13" Apple laptops released in recent history have featured discrete graphics, and the chassis of the upcoming Retina model might be too slim for that to change.)

DigiTimes also has news about the next wave of iMacs. While current models still feature last year’s Sandy Bridge processors, the updated offerings will have both new processors and upgraded displays, the site reports. Word is that low-end and mid-range members of the next-gen iMac family "saw shipment volumes from the supply chain increase in September." As for the top-of-the-line iMac, that product has reportedly been delayed due to low LCD panel yields. DigiTimes doesn’t quote a launch schedule for any of the three systems, though.

• Hattig

“a 2560×1600 panel driven by Intel integrated graphics”

OMFG AMAZEBALLS! It doesn’t get better than that.

• XTF

[quote<] DigiTimes also has news about the next wave of iMacs. While current models still feature last year's Sandy Bridge processors, the updated offerings will have both new processors and upgraded displays [/quote<] Better than 2560 x 1440 on the desktop? It's been a long wait. I'm looking for a 27" monitor, but I don't think waiting for Dell and HP to update theirs is worth it.

• tviceman

Hahaha super high res with Intel graphics! Very funny!

• sweatshopking

oh man, thank god! i was sooo worried i wouldn’t hear any more rumors!!!

• superjawes

They leave you starving with that weaksauce iPhone 5 teaser?

• Beelzebubba9

I [b<]cannot[/b<] wait for the iPad 4 rumors myself!

• NeelyCam

You mean “iPad Newer Than New”?

• HallsMint

I was thinking “The newest new iPad” myself

• DeadOfKnight

I find it hard to get excited about a retina panel if it only has integrated graphics. Nvidia already has discrete solutions in many ultrabooks. Maybe Haswell’s integrated graphics next year might make this easier to stomach.

• internetsandman

You mean Intels IGP with only 256MB (at the most) of VRAM would struggle with a resolution that large? Say it ain’t so 🙁

• Star Brood

It is a driver issue to make mega-resolutions work seamlessly. Somehow tablets manage to get by with resolutions this large.

Haswell, if it is really 2-3x the graphics performance of HD 4000, will be able to score as high as the 650M in synthetic benchmarks. But as we know very well, drivers are more critical. HD 4000 is supposed to be just around the performance of 6550D graphics, however you just don’t get these results in games.

• internetsandman

I think the bigger issue is texture packs. In most games and regular usage theyres not actually much in the way of complex visuals, and even most tablet games have very simple graphics and textures. In big 3D games where there’s a lot more to render, the textures just don’t fit onto the VRAM and that causes system slowdowns

Partly a software issue, partly a hardware one. Driver optimizations won’t help an IGP drive Civilization V at max settings and 2560×1600, the same as upgrading to a 7970 will only marginally help if the drivers and app coding are absolute trash (I’m exaggerating but I hope my point was clear)

• Beelzebubba9

The HD4000 was designed to handle 4k LCDs, so I assume non-gaming performance would be fine on a 2560×1600 panel. Gaming performance though?

Heh.

• TEAMSWITCHER

By removing the optical drive there might…just might…be enough room to cool both a dual core i5 and a discrete graphics chip. If anyone can do it – Apple can. If not, then I’m waiting until next April for the release of Haswell – Hopefully it will ship on time.

• jpostel

I am holding out for a “Retina” MBAir version. I’m not really sure what the difference would be considering the case is that thin already, but I am hoping for rainbow unicorns and pixie dust.

• Beelzebubba9

The IPS ‘retina’ displays take a lot more power to drive than the TN panels Apple uses for the Air, so the 13″ rMBP is probably the closest you’ll get to a retina Air as Apple is not likely to halve the battery life on their ultrabook.

• d0g_p00p

Apple announces the 13″ Retina MacBook $1,999. 8GB upgrade only $199.99. There I saved you the wait.

• flip-mode

I’d guess ~$1500, 8GB upgrade for ~$600.

Probably in the middle – $1500 and $200. And not user-upgradeable.

• flip-mode

The non-user upgradeable RAM and drive fact hurts badly. I’ve been planning a new notebook purchase. I was essentially decided on getting a Mac Air or a Macbook Pro. The non-upgradeable RAM situation has me completely flustered. I really don’t know what to do now. I’m frustrated.

• Farting Bob

Get a laptop that doesnt lock everything away in the name of decreasing the thickness by 2mm?

• Beelzebubba9

Would you need more than 16GB of RAM? Considering there are very few laptops that can take more than 16GB of RAM – a quantity that the rMBP ships with – I don’t really see how this is an issue. Unless, of course, it really grinds your gears to spend $200 for $30 worth of RAM. But if that’s the case you shouldn’t be shopping for Apple hardware anyway. 🙂

• flip-mode

I get the “stop wishing for things that aren’t available” response a lot, but I’ll keep on wishing.

• Beelzebubba9

Sigh, fine, you win this post as well.

The only thing I’d change with the rMBP would be for Apple to use a standard mSATA connection. The rest just seems like reasonable compromises to get its form factor.

• Beelzebubba9

Apple charges $100 for the 4 to 8GB upgrade on the Air, $200 for the 8GB to 16GB upgrade on the rMBP. Why would the 13″ be any different?

• flip-mode

Miss sarcasm much?

• Beelzebubba9

Yes, apparently. 🙂

• internetsandman

As someone who is preferential to Apple, I have to say the amount they charge for memory, even on the iMac where they know you can upgrade it yourself anyway, is crazy. I’m worried they’ll switch to soldered-on-RAM for the next iMac as well, because in comparison to all their laptops, at least the desktops (for now) are whale to be somewhat upgraded, albeit still only in one or two ways.

On the upside though, apple devices hold their resale value so much better than PC’s, whether they’re laptops or desktops, and in some cases they’ll last you quite a bit longer, so hopefully if you spring for the extra RAM early, you’ll make more of that money back five years from now if you sell the machine

• pedro

[quote<]On the upside though, apple devices hold their resale value so much better than PC's[/quote<] I can testify to this. I'm selling my 27 inch iMac (really awesome machine) some time this week because I haven't used it for two months and won't again for another two as I'm overseas. I was really shocked when I saw that the going rate was ~75-80% of new for year-old machines. If you were so inclined you could buy a new one every 18 months or so and write off the loss as 'lease' expenses. Pretty amazing in the world of tech.

• internetsandman

I sold a 20 inch C2D iMac about 3 years ago, I forget how old it was, maybe 4 or 5 years? But it sold for 700 bucks on Craigslist, and I was on the low end of pricing for similar machines because, like you, I was shocked at how high they were being sold in the first place

• brucethemoose

That’s the beauty of branding right there.