HP unveils slick, iMac-like all-in-one PC

Drawing inspiration from Apple’s designs is a time-honored tradition throughout the industry—Apple v. Samsung tomfoolery notwithstanding. HP offered an excellent reminder of that this morning when it announced the SpectreOne, a premium all-in-one PC that looks straight out of Jony Ive’s design studio.

HP calls the SpectreOne the thinnest all-in-one PC in its portfolio, and it’s no wonder why. The system is just 11.5 mm thick, despite featuring a 23.6″ HD panel, the “latest Intel processors” (of the Ivy Bridge variety, I suspect), and discrete Nvidia graphics with 1GB of dedicated memory. Customers can deck out the machine with optional solid-state storage and SSD caching (via Condusiv’s ExpressCache software).

Unlike Apple’s iMacs, the SpectreOne houses connectivity in its metallic stand. There are USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports—two of each—plus HDMI in, an SD card reader, and a Beats Audio-branded headphone jack. The HDMI input should come in handy for hooking up the built-in display to other hardware, like a laptop or a game console. HP has even added near-field communication support, so users can “simply tap a smartphone or NFC tags on the base of the HP SpectreONE to instantly transfer content or login to the PC.” Interesting stuff.

HP expects to have the SpectreOne in stores in the United States this November. You’ll be asked to cough up $1,299 for the machine, which is actually not a bad deal by iMac standards. (Remember, the cheapest iMac costs $1,199 and only has a 21.5″ display.)

As you can see in the picture above, HP will throw in a matching wireless keyboard and multi-touch touchpad. The touchpad will let users “scroll, swipe and tap their way through the new Windows 8 environment.” Oddly for a Windows 8 machine, though, the SpectreOne will lack touch-screen functionality. HP reportedly told the guys at The Verge that adding a touch screen “would add four to five millimeters to the overall thickness, a drawback they weren’t willing to accept.” I guess you can’t ape Apple without putting form over function.

• mattthemuppet

doesn’t look like an iMac to me. Looks like an all-in-one though. Stand looks a bit odd (too wide, almost), but I for one would massively appreciate not having to move it or crane around the back to find out where the hell the USB port is. They should just include wall mountable mirrors with iMacs.

seriously, it must really tick off the designers (and yes, there is design involved in this) who work on pretty much anything electronic that, when it’s brought to market, everyone goes “OMG, it’s a product that exists in the same market as an Apple product, what a bunch of design thieves”! Just goes to show how well Apple’s marketing and legal department is that keep trying to fit every peg into an Apple product sized hole.

• jpostel

Ummmm… The new one looks more like an iMac than it looks like any of the previous HP all-in-one designs.

The HP designers that created [url=http://ssl-product-images.www8-hp.com/digmedialib/prodimg/lowres/c03249324.png<]this[/url<] did just fine without making it look like an iMac.

• mattthemuppet

it’s a monitor/ computer with a stand coming out of the back. Other than the basic format, how does this make it look like an iMac? Companies shouldn’t have to use goofy designs just to avoid similar formats, otherwise we’d have triangular tablets.

• ronch

I’d rather have one of these using AMD’s upcoming desktop Trinity chips.

• Laykun

Great, more beats audio. So this computer will ruin your music too. F you Dr. Dre.

• Farting Bob

It’s no worse than pretty much all other integrated audio solutions, it’s just that this one has a brand name.

• Laykun

Actually it’s much worse. The beats audio software does a bunch of real-time software “enhancements” on your audio, compressing the dynamic range, removing subtlety and making it sound like every part of your music wants to punch your face off. There some sort of volume normalisation that goes on. Once I tried turning down the volume in VLC, it has it’s own virtual mixer, but the beats audio stack compensated by amplifying the signal to it’s volume setting (normalisation).

This can be turned off but it’s not a completely trivial matter, as simply unclicking the Beats Audio tick box doesn’t turn off the enhancements it actually cripples the audio to make it sound terrible. You actually have to do some meddling in the registry. Once the whole beats audio stack is disabled audio comes through clear, detailed, yet retains it’s subtleties and nuances (even on integrated audio chips).

[url<]http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/Volume-Swings-During-Songs-with-Beats-Audio-Enabled/td-p/1260083[/url<]

• Hattig

I really love the beats software on my HP netbook – I love how it takes a few seconds for a press on the volume keys to register in the slow-ass UI, I love how each key press adjusts the audio volume by around 1% instead of something simpler like 5%…

I wonder if there’s a tool that removes the Beats shit from a computer and replaces it with the standard Windows equivalents?

• Anonymous Coward

Yet one more reason that Apple rakes in the billions…

• Washer

At least on my HP DM1 removing the Beats software was straight forward and fixed the issue. In fact, my DM1 has the best speakers of any laptop I’ve owned and yet it’s the smallest and cheapest one I’ve owned. I currently have Linux Mint 13 installed but the audio worked fine in Mint 12 and a clean Windows 7 install too.

• albundy

i want that keyboard…more so if it’s RF and not BT! i couldn’t care less about all the rest of HP worthless junk. and whats the point of that screen if you cant even rotate it? dont tell me it’s a TN panel!

• Arclight

Flat top keys make my finger tips hurt, plus i get super annoyed by the small key stroke. How can you bear using such a keyboard is beyond me.

• Joe Miller

I like such keyboards 🙂

• albundy

oh i no longer have a computer desk to type on. i mainly sit on my couch with a pullout side-swivel media tray in front of a huge tv hooked up to a pc. as for typing, i have a ms wireless bt 6000 keyboard thats curved and am very used to typing on laptop keyboards, so its pretty similar, just more ergonomic.

• willmore

[quote<]more so if it's RF and not BT![/quote<] Hmm, you know that BT uses RF, so....

• sschaem

Here is a secret look at HP Design team website
    [url<]http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html[/url<] Man, HP legal department must be bored...

• internetsandman

IT’S ONLY 11.5MM THIN, THAT’S AMAZING
    especially on a desktop, where y’know, display thickness is an incredibly important factor, not the hardware underneath

• crabjokeman

“Good artists borrow; great artists steal.” – attributed to different people (some of whom probably stole it), but mainly Pablo Picasso

• Scrotos

“That’s the last time I let Pablo borrow my lawnmower!” – attributed to Pablo Picasso’s neighbor, Carlos.

• link626

this is why HP makes no money and is getting pummeled in the stock market.

on a desktop, who cares about how thick it is? does it even matter if it’s 4mm thicker?
    You’re looking at the FRONT the whole time, not measuring the thickness of the sides while you’re using the computer.

no touch screen, especially when windows 8 is about to come out = FAIL.

You make an iMac clone years after the imac comes out = Fail.

• Anarchist

if you are a type of person who need this kind of PC … just stick with tablet.

• willyolio

no chin. i like it. was it because apple patented chins?

• End User

Un-fracking-believable. The even made the base look like a MacBook Air!

Edit: Cripes. I just realized they ripped off the look of my 11″ MBA under my Thunderbolt Display + BT Apple Keyboard + Magic Trackpad setup.

#humblebrag

• sweatshopking

not humble. just bragging.

too bad i’d rather stick to my windows 8 machines.

• End User

[quote<] i'd rather stick to my windows 8 machines.[/quote<] I've got one of those on each side of the MBA. 😛

• sweatshopking

cool story, bra

• End User

Indeed.

• albundy

haha, he returned your bs sarcasm.

• End User

[url<]http://goo.gl/U1ppx[/url<]

• flip-mode

It’s an HP. I’m suspicious, doubtful, distrustful.

I wonder if the touchpad will be sold separately.

• blastdoor

HP should have more pride than this.

• ChronoReverse

Yeah, that’s just shameless.

• crabjokeman

They should, but their pride is based on their stock price…

• link626

but it’s stuff like this that surely doesn’t help their stock price.

sacrificing touchscreen for unnoticeable thickness = dumb move for sales and revenue and other stock related stuff.

• Anonymous Coward

I didn’t realize that the TR readership was so eager to “advance” beyond keyboard and mouse.

• A_Pickle

They really shouldn’t. This is, after all, the company that saw WebOS’s future in… printers.

• blastdoor

Good point 🙂 but it was not always so…

• brucethemoose

[quote<] HP reportedly told the guys at The Verge that adding a touch screen "would add four to five millimeters to the overall thickness, a drawback they weren't willing to accept." [/quote<] The big OEMs are a bit more innovative than your average gerbil. I started typing a really long rant, but meh, it's not worth it.

• dpaus

So [i<][b<]that's[/i<][/b<] what happened to all those Bluetooth keyboards for the TouchPad...

• ludi

I have one. The key layout, particularly the 1.5x-width delete key, is surprisingly good for a compact format, and it is quite rigid — it does not flex or pop under my hands like, say, the otherwise-lovely Logitech K400 I use with my HTPC.

No reason for HP not to stay with a good thing. They have modified the bottom-row layout for Windows, and it looks like the Sleep Button in the upper-right corner has been re-purposed, but otherwise…

• lilbuddhaman

inb4 “sue them” post.

also, multitouch pads are stupid.

• xeridea

I second the multitouch stupidity. Also, would add chicklet keyboards. I also find the plain gray/silver of Apple stuff really unpleasing to the eye.

• cjava2

Forcing those tiny bluetooth keyboards as the main input device should be classified as torture.

• Deanjo

My father got one and likes it. According to him it is easier then a mouse or trackball for his arthritic hands.

• sweatshopking

WHY DOESN’T HE GET A WINDOWS 8 LAPTOP/TABLET AND GET THE BEST OF ALL WORLDS?

• Deanjo

He already has a tablet he likes as well, the iPad. A laptop serves no purpose for him it is useless for his purpose. He would rather have his full sized keyboard and 30″ monitor.

• BobbinThreadbare

This computer doesn’t have a full size keyboard though.

• Deanjo

I never said he had this computer. I was responding to the “multitouch pads are stupid” comment.

• indeego

Finally a market for Deanjo’s father. This will be Wintel’s saving grace.

• sweatshopking

lolirl

• NeelyCam

They’ll be sued by both Apple and Spectre.

Hmm… this must’ve been the board’s idea

• entropy13

One wouldn’t sue them?

• Malphas

Get used to them being around. They might well end up displacing mice.

[quote<]just 11.5" thick[/quote<] I think I could put my desktop behind my monitor and do 11.5". Good grief. Hope that's a typo. :p

• willmore

That must include the keyboard as well.