Release roundup: Backlit clickiness and slim SSDs

This week in our look at miscellaneous product launches and announcements, we bring tidings from Lian Li, Rosewill, and Silicon Power:

• Lian Li debuts two new full tower cases – PC-A75X & PC-A76X. The latest brushed aluminum enclosures from Lian Li are actually two variants of the same design. The PC-A75X has a vented front panel that exposes the two 5.25" bays, while the PC-A76X has a lockable aluminum door (with side vents) covering the whole shebang. Otherwise, the two enclosures are identical. They’re 23" tall and 8.6" wide, with room for up to a dozen 3.5" hard drives. Their 3.5" bays are installed perpendicularly with tool-less, anti-vibration mounts, and they can also play host to three 2.5" SSDs. Lian Li keeps everything chilly with three 140-mm front fans and one 120-mm rear fan—though there’s room for an extra two 120-mm fans at the top. Other amenities include grommeted routing holes for cables and liquid-cooling setups, a cut-out underneath the CPU area, a bottom-mounted PSU emplacement, and USB 3.0 connectivity. Lian Li quotes prices of $199 for the PC-A75X and $219 for the PC-A76X.

• Rosewill releases illuminated mechanical gaming keyboard RK-9100 series. If you read our review last month, you’re no doubt familiar with Rosewill’s line of mechanical keyboards. Well, the new RK-9100 series is basically the same thing, only it lights up in the dark with "three illuminated status and four brightness levels." This enables you, Rosewill says, to "type away for hours in the dark while keeping your swagger." Excellent! Two variants are available: one with Cherry MX blue switches, the RK-9100, and one with Cherry MX brown switches, the RK-9100BR. See our review for a comparison of the different Cherry MX switch types.

• Silicon Power presents new Slim Series 7-mm SSDs for ultrabooks. Just as with the Lian Li cases above, there’s not a whole world of difference between Silicon Power’s latest introductions—the Slim Series S60 and S70. Both solid-state drives have 2.5" form factors and are a little thinner than usual, at 7 mm. They’re powered by SandForce controllers and feature 6Gbps Serial ATA connectivity. Both drives are available in 60GB, 120GB, 240GB, and 480GB capacities, as well. So what are the differences? Well, the S60 can read and write at up to 550MB/s and 500MB/s, respectively, while the S70 is a whopping 7MB/s faster at both tasks. The S60 is black, while the S70 has a "Champagne" finish. Most importantly, however, Silicon Power says the S70 is "more durable and reliable as it can endure more write cycles for longer life span."

It looks like the backlit Rosewill RK-9100 and RK-9100BR keyboards are already available at Newegg for $119.99 and $129.99, respectively. Based on my experiences with the different switch types, I’d probably be inclined to cough up an extra sawbuck for the MX brown model. Then again, as a touch-typist, I’m perfectly content without backlighting. The unlit RK-9000BR only costs $109.99.

• HisDivineOrder

I would buy one of those brown-based versions of that keyboard, but Newegg doesn’t want to sell to me because my state sucks. Cruel world to taunt me with brown’s for a semi-reasonable price and then SNATCH THEM away again!

• Bensam123

Nice Rosewell. You’re going have to do better to outplay Corsairs elegantly designed keyboards though… Now if only Corsair used browns…

• Welch

As much as i like the Corsair look and design, the sad thing is that they used rubber-domes on the function keys. That would have been forgivable had they not also cheaped out on the macro keys. Why on gods green earth would anyone not make the gaming keys mechanical on a “mechanical” keyboard!!!

• Bensam123

Yeah… I realize they do… but for how often I use them, it’s not something I find a deal breaker. I’m a pretty astute person when it comes to little things too. I would almost say it sorta works in the opposite direction once you get over the whole ‘omg the whole keyboard isn’t mechanical’ bit. They provide a different tactile sensation for keys that provide quite a different function from others.

• Airmantharp

Wonder if they come in a backlight color other than blue… a soft white sure would be nice. I am enjoying the hell out of my 9000BR though, worlds quieter than the blue-based Blackwidow.

• Deanjo

Those Lian Li PC-A76X is just crying to be my next media tower. It would fit right in with the home theater system.

• mcnels1

It looks like the RK-9100 have a non-removable USB cable. The USB jack on the RK-9000 is a known weak spot. Maybe this is an improvement.

• just brew it!

Yes, it looks like an improvement over the current RK-9000 jack. Still probably not as good as the cable on the original RK-9000 (before the redesign) though.

• Farting Bob

Dear god that keyboard needs to tone down the searing bright LED’s. If even the press photo has glaring annoying bright blue and green (WTF is it about blue anyway? Red lights are so much less distracting and much nicer to look at) then it’s probably one to avoid, at least until version 2 comes along.

• UberGerbil

Have to wait and see what they’re really like. PR shots are going to emphasize the feature, even to a fault, and it’s shot from an angle you wouldn’t normally be at with a keyboard you’re using.

• just brew it!

Even the original RK-9000 had num/caps/scroll lock LEDs that were way too bright. I have a piece of white tape over them to make them less glaring.

• MadManOriginal

Yeah red is really the proper low-light color – it doesn’t mess up your ‘night vision.’

• jpostel

I wish I could find the article… Several years ago, I read an article criticizing the recent trend towards the ultra-bright “blue” headlights for cars. They referenced a study done by the US military (not sure which, but suspect ARMY) that found not only the direct light killed your night vision, but also the reflected light. The result was that people temporarily lost their “night vision” even for [b<]peripheral[/b<] vision. So although people could see farther directly in front of them, they could not discern moving objects on the side (example from my area would be deer).

• jpostel

I like backlit keyboards, and I would buy this if it were a different color (red).

The one saving grace from the press release is that it has 4 brightness levels.