Google Apps to drop IE8 support in October

Two and a half years ago, Google stopped supporting Internet Explorer 6, and web developers everywhere breathed a sigh of relief. They, too, were soon able to justify dropping support for the browser and its rather… unique interpretation of web standards.

Well, now it seems Internet Explorer 8 is next on the chopping blockā€”despite being much better-behaved as far as standards support goes. The latest post on the official Google Apps blog states curtly:

Internet Explorer 10 launches on 10/26/2012, and as a result, we will discontinue support for Internet Explorer 8 shortly afterwards, on 11/15/2012. After this date users accessing Google Apps services using Internet Explorer 8 will see a message recommending that they upgrade their browser.

The Google Apps suite includes Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar, Google Drive, so it sounds like a lot of folks are going to be seeing that message come October.

According to the latest statistics from Net Applications, Internet Explorer 8 is the most popular single browser version on the web right now, with a 25.27% usage share. IE9 is second with 18.4%, followed by Chrome 21 and Firefox 14 with 14.5% and 12.7% usage shares, respectively. Getting a quarter of all web users to upgrade their browser may not be easy, but if anyone’s going to do it, Google likely has a pretty good shot.

• brucethemoose

Chrome frame is the solution here.

IE8 + Chrome when you need it. This will probably be what businesses will default to, if word gets round.

• superjawes

I would go the other way. Firefox with IE tab or an equivalent in Chrome (I assume there is one).

Then you can build/use security plugins to protect your browsers as needed, and still have the functionality for pages still exclusive to IE.

• ltcommander.data

I know they are just following their stated 2 latest version policy, but sometimes exceptions should be made for reality, ie. that cutting off the world’s most used browser accounting for a quarter of all internet traffic isn’t a good idea. Wasn’t Google trying to push Google Apps as a viable alternative to Office and other Microsoft products for corporations and governments? Seeing IE8 usage is supposed to be highest in corporations and governments, I don’t think this move is going to help their cause. Supporting the 2 latest version of each major browser + a third browser version if it has say 10% or greater usage share seems to better meet consumer usage patterns without ballooning support for too many browsers.

• PrincipalSkinner

Dump that rubbish browser ASAP. Developing for it is a pain in the buttocks.

• Meadows

[quote<]"Two and a half years ago, Google stopped supporting Internet Explorer 6"[/quote<] Wow, it was that long ago? Time does fly.

• yogibbear

*Checks Home PC to see what version of IE I’m on*

*Realises windows update has been keeping me up to date since forever*

*Checks work lappy*…. Realises is out of date……… Tries to upgrade…. NO ADMIN RIGHTS! BE DAMNED!

• Madman

As long as they offer a warning screen with FF, Opera and not only Chrome, I call it a progress.

It would even be a jump forward if IE9/10 was completely absent from that screen.

• lilbuddhaman

And now introducing Google Apps Plus (Plus!)* integrated with IE10***!

*Please note that starting March 2013 you will be required to sign up for GApps++ to have access to documents you created ( which we actually own btw, check the ToS )

**At the low fee of $5.99 a month

***Starting Jan 2013 you will be required to use IE10 to access GApps

• chuckula

And nothing of value was lost.

• highlandr

Why is this news? I already get a message telling me to update my browser when using Docs/Drive in IE8. I guess Google’s attitude will shift from “you should upgrade your browser” to “we don’t care if your browser works or not.”

• willmore

Exactly, they’re not promising to break it, they’re just not promising to support it.

• superjawes

Somehow I don’t think this would be a big deal if IE wasn’t so clunky…Chrome and Firefox seem to function very well supporting multiple updates without breaking everything.

• Sahrin

ZOMG IE sucks rite guise can I have upboats?

• superjawes

• SoM

ppl still use that IE crap ?

• From40zto5thz

Unfortunately most corporations are still using Windows XP and you can not install IE9 on XP. Users have to be on Windows 7 or Vista to use a newer Microsoft browser. So basically Google is pushing XP users to more standards compliant browsers. Maybe Opera will get more users as a result.

• superjawes

I think a fair number of corporations have made at least a partial transistion to 7, but yes, there are plenty of XP business machines still in operation.

And on top of that, I think there’s a general “IE is Windows so we make all web apps use IE” mentaility that prevents anyone from even trying to make Chrome or Firefox compatible.

• huge

Still on XP and ie8 here at my company. šŸ™

• kvndoom

Ugh, IE7 at my job. IE6 with tabs. Joy.

Fortunately, I do believe the Windows 7 rollout begins next year though. Maybe by 2025 we will be using Windows 9.

• Sargent Duck