F1 2012 demo available on Steam

These days, it’s rare for game developers to offer demos of their latest titles. If folks are offered a free snippet to sample, it’s usually some time after the full release has hit shelves. Bucking that trend, Codemasters is giving racing fans an early look at its latest title. A playable demo for F1 2012 is available for download on Steam. There’s an accompanying trailer, too:

The graphics look decent, and there are some nice weather effects. Nothing about the visuals really floors me, though, perhaps because this is a cross-platform release. We haven’t heard a peep about PC-specific graphical enhancements despite F1 2012‘s DirectX 11 credentials. Perhaps the benefits of a high-resolution texture pack would be lost with the world whipping by in a blur.

According to Steam, the full version of F1 2012 will unlock in about 12 hours—just enough time to try the demo. If you pre-order the game before it goes live, Valve will knock 10% off the $50 asking price. There’s a 17% discount for folks who buy a couple of copies at once, too. The last F1 game scored 83 on Metacritic but achieved a user rating of only 7.1, so you might want to try the demo before ordering. Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the tip.

• travbrad

A game demo in 2012? What’s going on here?

• cheerful hamster

Wasn’t there going to be a sequel to Grid? I wouldn’t even care if the graphics stayed the same, I’d just like new tracks and races.

Grid was actually a lot of fun. I enjoyed it more than NFS Shift.

• south side sammy

be nice to know what wheel you guys are having trouble with instead of just saying my wheel……. but from the things I’ve seen most people don’t take time to make it work or look hard enough at what’s in front of them………. I really have doubts a major game would come out and not support the current hardware available……… unless it was noname cheap john driving wheel…….

game not available until after midnight tonight. ( avail on 18th ) though I would give it a try……….

• CaptTomato

hehehe, it’s a G27, and when you mainly drive proper sims, most of these arcade games have tragic steering precision, though I have no doubt casual gamers don’t notice.
      Btw, I installed netkar pro, set my deg of rotation to 900 and instant steering perfection, and it’s similar with other sims{if you know what you’re doing}, but the casual gamers express dismay that anyone would have trouble with steering precision.

My G27 doesn’t work to my satisfaction on F1 2010/11 and also on the 12 demo, the 12 demo also has some of the numbest FFB of any racing game.

• south side sammy

well, here I am giving it a tryout and wouldn’t you know………. a blowout on the training lap….. steering is a little too much but haven’t looked for a way to turn the sensitivity down if there is one. Boning me right off the bat with the training already makes me not want to buy it. Thanks for the demo guys. Something more of you worthless peons should be doing.

Proper sims are usually way too harsh for the unrealistic feedback and control lag you get with any analogue inputs.

I like me some gamepad driving. It’s unashamedly fun without trying to achieve the impossible task of sofa-based driving realism.

• CaptTomato

F1 2012, another worthless piece of trash that barely works with my wheel.

• Farting Bob

I got a cheap wheel and peddles last year and enjoyed F1 2011 on it. Once i found a guide to set up the ingame sensitivity and button mapping it was great, although it would be nice for them to include profiles for wheels as the default settings made it damn near unusable.

Not sure i’ll buy this one though, might skip it and wait for next year as 2011 was fairly buggy to start with, and even after a patch there were still issues.

• RtFusion

Great news. Loved F1 2010 although I never got around finishing a single season xD. Never liked wet racing, couldn’t really get the handle on it (using a PS3 controller connected to my PC).

Will be getting this game.

Although I am more of a Dirt 3 fan, I just loooove rally games.

• Madman

Wet racing sucks in simulators, but it also sucks in the real life. A real good way to get a wheel-hop and break trannys, and it’s a constant fight to get some traction.

Heck, driving a underpowered economy car is actually easier in rain than it is to drive a high power sports car. The sport car is constantly over-spinning the wheels which you must try to micromanage, while the family car just keeps constantly accelerating. Funny, but true…

It’s only at higher speeds when higher powered cars are taming down a little.

• travbrad

[quote<]Never liked wet racing, couldn't really get the handle on it (using a PS3 controller connected to my PC).[/quote<] I've tried it with a controller, but it's A LOT easier with a wheel/pedals. Driving in the wet is all about being as delicate/precise as you possibly can, and a wheel/pedals gives you a lot more precise control. It's a bit like using mouse instead of a controller for a first-person-shooter. :p That being said I did play the game with no assists whatsoever. If you use traction control and ABS then a controller would probably be okay (still not as good as wheel though). I'm hoping they have worked on the AI for F1 2012. Trying to actually do career mode was frustrating because the AI was extremely inconsistent from track-to-track, so the only place to really get a satisfying experience was online. One race you'd win by 20 seconds, then the next race you'd be struggling in 13th place. Barcelona was particularly bad I recall. The AI could just take the corners at speeds your car wasn't capable of.

We’re missing a good rally game these days.

I just replayed Dirt2 on the HTPC and loved it, avoiding as many circuit stages as possible and completing the career mode almost entirely using traditional rally or super-special stages.

I played Dirt3 but it started to feel too gimmicky with things like the Gymkhana and forced circuit racing having nothing to do with actual rallying, and when I obtained a free copy of Dirt Showdown via a GPU upgrade, I was mightily disappointed that it was just an update to Destruction Derby on the PS1 from all those years ago.

I’d love to see a [i<]rally[/i<] game again. They were fun 😉

• jstern

Reminds me of this Demo Disc for the Dreamcast that had this F1 game. I so want to play it now.

• rae

Why do you say it’s cross-platform? Steam version is Windows-only. Being a Mac user I got all excited (as we tend to do while waiting for our new iPhones)..

• BobbinThreadbare

It’s on Xbox and PS3.

I think you knew this already though.

• travbrad

A game that isn’t available on MacOS? Shocking.

If you are really interesting in gaming then I suggest getting a copy of Windows and dual-boot at least.

• Madman

I’m more interested in simulators like LFS.

• CaptTomato

I think netkar, GTR Evolution and Game Stock Car are better by every criteria.
      I suspect that people who like/prefer LFS don’t drive real cars.

• Madman

I haven’t played those, so it’s hard to comment.

I do drive a 13 sec car, and I take it to a track time after time, and LFS was closest to track experience I got from games.

There were some interesting contenders, but they usually feel very natural in some very limited circumstances and fall miles short for the rest of the time. Like NFS shift – overpowered RWD seems edgy and twitchy in some HP range and force feedback was behaving exactly like on the real cars I drive, which is very natural, but then it just awful for the rest of the time.

• CaptTomato

Shift is a botched simcade series, even modded it sucked.

I only tried the LFS demo{would’ve bought the whole game if I liked it}, but it just feels dated to me, and also sounded abysmal.
          I tend to try/buy every sim, and despite some wild fanboy claims, there isn’t always a huge difference between the good ones, GTR Evolution is the best value along with the simbin range, but Game Stock Car 2012 is very impressive and only $20 these days.

Netkar is also good, but quite a lonely game as no AI and MP nearly dead, but drives like a champ.

I’m hopeful that Assetto Corsa does a number on all of them though, and should be out in a few months.

• Madman

You want to tell me this is realistic – [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-wUq3NdxmU[/url<] ? There would be a sure spin in just the first few seconds of such driving on a real track.

• travbrad

Just the fact that someone could drive with a gamepad at all makes me question the “realism” of it.

I haven’t played Evolution but I played GTR2, and while it was somewhat realistic, it also felt like the cars were completely glued to the track.

• CaptTomato

Try Evo’s Dodge SRT among others.

• CaptTomato

He has all driving aids activated, you can tell by the green icons that are lite up……completely different experience with all driving aids off though.

• travbrad

[quote<]I only tried the LFS demo{would've bought the whole game if I liked it}, but it just feels dated to me, and also sounded abysmal.[/quote<] It's definitely dated in the graphics and sound department, but that's sort of to be expected for a game that started being developed a full decade ago (by a 2 person team at that). The sound was never meant to be super realistic either, just accurate to the RPMs. Instead of using samples it basically synthesizes the engine sound so you can tell exactly what your revs are. For me the physics feel as good as any simulator I've tried, if not better. The force feedback is easily the best I've ever experienced too. I've driven some fast cars in real life too, so your assertion that "people who like/prefer LFS don't drive real cars" is just wrong. I've never driven a single-seater, but very few people in the world have, so almost no one can reliably make a judgement on that. My biggest problem with LFS nowadays is the same problem Netkar has, no one plays it anymore (other than demo servers on the same track over and over). It seems like development has completely stopped too, and without modding the community is dying. It's hard to keep people interested without any new features/tracks/cars for years. GTR2 was okay but it felt a bit too easy to keep the car on the track and avoid tyre slipping/spinning. Tyre physics are everything when it comes to a race sim. I haven't tried Stock Car 2012 though, I may have to give it a try. Rfactor is a decent sim too, but the quality of the mods can vary a lot. Some of them are of great quality, but more commonly they are pretty bad. The huge variety of mods/cars/tracks/etc makes it somewhat hard to find a quick race online too using the cars/tracks you are looking for. It will be interesting to see how Rfactor 2 plays when it comes out. I've heard really good things about iRacing but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. The pricing model seems pretty steep, and there seems to be a lot of oval tracks (which I have zero interest in), but I've heard the physics are the best out there. Maybe I'll try it if I ever have enough free time to actually make the monthly fees worth it. Grand Prix Legends is still one of the best sims I've played. It's very dated now graphics-wise, but the physics were amazing considering it came out in the Win98 era. It still has better physics than most modern "sims". /END wall of text

• Madman

What I like about LFS is that it’s unforgiving. If you do dumb stuff, you’re out. No jerky movements, no glued cars, no wrong setups and so on.

I wish there was an alternative to that, but I haven’t found it yet.

So you say Grand Prix Legends is better when it comes to physics?

• travbrad

[quote<]What I like about LFS is that it's unforgiving. If you do dumb stuff, you're out. No jerky movements, no glued cars, no wrong setups and so on.[/quote<] Yep that's what I love about it too, its unforgiving nature. The setup stuff is great too. You can really feel every little thing you change on the car. I've spent hours and hours working on a setup just for one particular car/track combination, trying to get the perfect balance. [quote<]So you say Grand Prix Legends is better when it comes to physics?[/quote<] I don't know if the physics are "better", but they are extremely good especially for such an old game. It's hard to compare 1960s F1 cars to the cars in LFS, but GPL feels exactly as you imagine those cars would feel (a handful and a half) from seeing videos of them. If you like LFS for being unforgiving, then I think you'd like GPL too. If there was one word to describe GPL, it would be unforgiving. Here's a couple good videos to give you an idea. You'll also probably notice that the AI is pretty darn good/realistic, which can't be said of most racing sims/games. They will actually cover inside lines and stuff as you move up to pass them. [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyHELcdkh0U[/url<] [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C80Y-JbA1tU[/url<] I should note that most of the developers who created GPL (from Papyrus Racing Games) now work on iRacing. That's partly why iRacing seems like a really good bet to me for realistic physics. I just don't know if I can justify the cost. Each extra car and track is an extra $10 or so, PLUS there's a monthly fee.

• CaptTomato

My experience has been that sims hit a high spot with GTR Evo and have continued with Netkar and Game Stock Car.
            LFS felt like a boat on wheels to me, and had ordinary everything, so I bypassed it.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H22pLkd2Bxg[/url<] Here's the Camaro from Game Stock Car 2012.....this car has everything one could want from a sim, decent GFX, excellent sound, perfect precision with G27, impressive and detailed FFB to compliment huge range of believable car behaviour.

• travbrad

Are there are a decent amount of online in Game Stock Car 2012? It looks pretty good from the videos, but the problem I have with most sims isn’t really the sim itself, it’s the lack of people to race against.

GTR Evo must have much improved physics from GTR2 if it’s the “high spot” of physics. GTR2 was really nothing special in the physics department IMO. That’s why I never even tried GTR Evo (plus I’m more into open-wheelers anyway).

[quote<]LFS felt like a boat on wheels to me[/quote<] [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnRorNWuVAA<]That's a fast boat[/url<]

• Madman

The video is insane…

• CaptTomato

GSC…..no, public MP is quite slow, but you do have the option of private racing at places like RACEDEPARTMENT etc, however, GSC does allow up to 34 cars on track at one time in SP, and given how tight some of these Brazilian tracks are, it’s a testament to the quality of the AI that they seem to be able to pounce thru without any undue catastrophe’s.

I do think Evo has better physics than GTR2, especially simulated braking feedback.
            RACE07 has the F3000, and you can dl the awesome 2007 F1 mod from either Nogrip or RACEDEPARTMENT……there’s also a Formula BMW in there as well.

I never got into rf1 because the demo was terrible and the mod hunt isn’t supa appealing, but the best mods in rf1 are probably pretty good, but for me, sim racing atm is Simbin GTR Evo, Game Stock Car 2012***, and Netkar pro, they’re the 3 I play around with, and it’ll take a truly epic game to make me stop, maybe Assetto Corso wll be that game, here’s hoping!!!

***
            [url<]http://www.bsimracing.com/2012/09/brand-new-meaty-demo-version-of-game-stock-car-2012-released-by-reiza-studios/#.UFkKSo3iZ_Q[/url<] You can get a 30 day free demo of GSC 2012....RACEDEPARTMENT is official Reiza Studio's support forums.