Leaked slide reveals pricing for Win8 Asus tablets

Hints or no hints, we still don’t know exactly how much Microsoft’s Surface tablets will cost. Other manufacturers aren’t keeping as tight a lid on their pricing plans, though. The folks at ZDNet have posted a leaked PowerPoint slide that reveals images, rough specifications, and price tags for three upcoming, Windows-powered Asus tablets.

The cheapest of the bunch will apparently be the Vivo Tab RT, a Tegra 3-powered slate with a 10.1" IPS display. Price: $599—or $798 if you throw in the optional, Transformer-style keyboard dock. This puppy will run Windows RT and ship with a pre-release copy of Office Home & Student RT.

Next up the, uh, lineup will be the Vivo Tab, which will feature an Atom Z2760 processor (of the Clover Trail variety, no doubt) and an 11.6" IPS panel. This device will set you back a whopping $799, and that’s without the $199 keyboard dock. Not cheap. At least the Vivo Tab will run the x86 version of Windows 8, though.

Finally, at the high end, Asus will offer the Taichi. This novel hybrid features dual 11.6" 1080p displays: one in the usual location and another on the system’s lid. When we saw the Taichi at Computex, Asus said it would feature an Ivy Bridge CPU and solid-state storage. Looks like the system is set to retail for $1,299.

I hope the Vivo Tab RT won’t be Asus’ cheapest Windows RT device. $599 is kind of a lot for a Tegra 3 slate these days, and it’s especially pricey given the likely dearth of WinRT apps. These next-gen Windows slates probably need to undercut the iPad if Microsoft wants to capture a decent chunk of the tablet market.

• mutarasector

The Taichi is the most interesting AFAIC, but at$1299, it should be the 13.3″ version they also showed earlier this year. It’s great that it has the dual display/hybrid tablet mode, but this thing is more akin to a MacBook Air than a tablet at this point. The price isn’t too far off, but I suspect it’s about $200 too high. If the 13.3″ variant were selling for this, I’d go for it as it seems to have what I want as a tablet in X86/Ivy bridge based system that will run the modern UI in an Intel architecture mode, and be able to seamlessly switch between it and the classic desktop when switching from tablet to notebook mode.

The only other thing that would make this perfect is a Thunderbolt port.

• tbone8ty

no thanks…. Im happy with my Trinity A10 powered laptop I got for $599

• ZGradt

Damn. Those IPS panels must be pricy. Why waste one on a netbook though?

• Voldenuit

B&N, Amazon and Google can make all IPS tablets for under $200. I’m going to guess the OS is overpriced compared to Android.

• Sahrin

Sell != Make

All three of those companies have an interest in the hardware beyond the sale of the hardware itself. Asus doesn’t.

• PhilCarr

I’m a die-hard MSFT fan. If they had fanboys, I’d be one. I’ve owned all three generations of Zune, both XBoxes, and a WP7 (not to mention countless PCs and laptops). If this is the pricing scheme for all of their tabs, however, they will lose most of my loyalty and I’ll probably just buy a ‘Droid. I still won’t have an iPad:) The only AAPL product I’ve ever owned was the original Shuffle, and I just ended up using it as a flash-drive.

• albundy

they lost my loyalty when zune failed and my xbox360’s failed. never again…unless its free. i only stick with winblows for gaming, and once that itch is scratched, I will probably stick with Fedora.

• hubick

Dear Asus,

I love my EP121 ( [url<]http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/[/url<] ). Please update it with a "retina" display, newer Core i7 incl chipset w USB 3 + 5ghz wifi, and Windows 8. I'm happy to pay $1500. Much Thanks.

• Decelerate

I’m surprised Asus didn’t get a red-telephone call from Balmer & co. to revisit the pricing scheme. Is it sanctionned / approved by Microsoft?

If so, they better find a new name for their Win9 tablets, because [i<]Surface[/i<] will be a burned trademark...

• ludi

Just checked with my wallet. Wallet says ‘no.’

• ysunwoo

There’re so many other alternatives just look at the internet not just gxxgle.

• paulWTAMU

My wife grabbed my wallet and hit me with it when I showed her this 🙁

• Haserath

Mine too, and I don’t even have a girlfriend!

• Ricardo Dawkins

I dont know WTH Asus is thinking with those leaked prices?
    if Lenovo Windows RT will be up to $300 less expensive than their Atom tablet how they plan to price the Vivo TAB RT for $600.
    [url<]http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/31/3279864/thinkpad-tablet-2-video-preview[/url<] [url<]http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/17/3248867/windows-rt-tablets-pricing-lenovo[/url<] [url<]http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-16/lenovo-s-says-rt-tablets-up-to-300-cheaper-than-win-8.html[/url<]

• rechicero

A netbook with detachable screen for $998. Yeah, it sounds like a great deal… or maybe a joke.

• sschaem

Also the $599-798 toy will only run the bastardize RT on a relatively slow SoC.

<300$ Netbook with AMD Fusion graphics runs windows7 64bit (AKA windows9) and have access to the entire x86 software library, including any version of Office or Acrobat.

Windows RT “Spend 3 time as much, get 3 time less.”

edit: and $1000 for an Atom netbook is a complete joke by itself, no need to make fun of that tragedy. (Who will be suckered to pay that much, for less, just for a detachable keyboard?)

Some people at Apple must be ROTFL reading industry leak and news,
      me I’m just sad witnessing the industry self destruction.

This seems wrong. Are people really [i<]buying[/i<] Transformers for $800?

• jdaven

Wow, I never thought it was possible but a company thinks it finally figured out how to sell an Atom based computer for $800. Oh wait $1000 with the keyboard dock. Lol!

I would love to see a show of hands of who would spend $1000 on an Atom powered anything.

• sweatshopking

this doesn’t sound right. I can’t imagine MS is dumb enough to price themselves TOTALLY out of the market. he already said that 300-700 was the sweet spot, and only the tegra 3 falls in that category. I I find this hard to believe.

• ysunwoo

This is the modularization of the laptop computer breaking into it’s basic components. While making the 1st part (tablet) the fundamental part of everyday computing the real genius is the minimization of complexity and parts with maximum profits.

Remember, 1st priority is to maximize profits using regions of the world that has less worker, environmental and safety regulations than other regions.

The value of computing devices are going down in power and flexibility for the sake of portability. These devices will require frequent replacements to all of that device’s ecosystem (accessories) that might not even be compatible with your next device. And they can’t be upgraded in the performance sense.

With small 12″13″ laptops, their drives and memory and even in some cases CPU can be upgraded, but not with tablets. A??le has picked up this lesson very well along with other manufactures. The consumer advantage is slowly slipping to business prowess and financial greed.

• mcnabney

This will not happen. Remember, RT included Office – so the OEMs have to pay for an RT and Office license. I am sure they won’t be super expensive, but adding $150+ to the cost vs an Android device which won’t have those costs is significant. That higher cost puts RT tablets squarely against iPad pricing and x86 against ultrabook pricing.

• ysunwoo

A majority of tablet owners don’t have MS office installed. This is an unnecessary accessory. The most used office application is a word processor and PDF reader both doable on Google offline or other third party opensource apps available to the world not just the few that can purchase a $599 or above tablet. In this case addin $200 for a keyboard which will be more than an ipad with keyboard (about $570 ).

Don’t get me wrong there’s definitely a market for this if you have the means. Google device is a step in the right direction $199 and others of lower cost but not too low in performance. But come-on $200 for the dock/keyboard? That’s the cost of a keyboard and other supplies for Google.

For $570 you can get an 11.6″ Full HD LED Notebook – Intel Core i5 i5-3317UM 1.70 GHz cpu, a 500GB hard drive, 6GB main memory, and it only weighs 3 lbs. only half a pound more than the tablet and keyboard but so much usability. Plus it’s up-gradable.

• ludi

My experience with third-party office apps for mobile devices, so far, involves a large number of non-trivial compatibility problems. For tablets to make it big in the North American corporate environment, complete Microsoft Office compatibility is essential.

While I wouldn’t expect a third-party app to necessarily be perfect at formatting, say, a nested table, I DO have a problem with them not even being able to get basic word-wrapping and other text formatting options displayed correctly.

Most of what is out there is good enough to [i<]view[/i<] Office documents but not good enough to [i<]review[/i<] Office documents.

• ysunwoo

I agree with the US corporate environment is enslaved on MS Office compatibility and ever so tight integration with their OS but the rest have flexible and more clever methods, formats,and OSes.

• jjj

RT tablets+keyboard dock must get bellow 400$ if they want to sell anything,maybe 500$ would work but they shouldn’t cost more than a dual core IB laptop since there is no touch ecosystem for RT or win 8.

• bthylafh

Aren’t MS charging OEMs $90 or so per copy of WinRT? Yeah.

• brucethemoose

[url<]http://i.qkme.me/6jve.jpg[/url<]

• kamikaziechameleon

I expected a 7 inch 300 dollar tegra tablet, a 10 inch 600 dollar atom(at the most) and a 900 dollar core 2 tablet. I’m quite surprised by the different size, price, and hardware combos.

• kamikaziechameleon

How about a 13 inch tablet with a keyboard dock and ivy bridge… should be large enough to stuff a full laptops worth of parts without compromising on thickness and should also experience full functionality when plugged into the dock. The taichi looks cool but Asus as a brand hasn’t proven their ability to fully realize their more original designs just yet.

• mcnabney

13″ tablets just weigh too much. Laptops of that class are not HELD when used – their weight is on the lap, table or desk. Holding a 13″ tablet in one hand and touching with the other is an uncomfortable experience.

Wow these prices are just stifling. Good luck, Windows RT.

• pedro

$998 for an Atom tablet? EPIC FAIL!

• Hattig

Totally priced to fail.

• misuspita

Maybe that is why MS decided to go ahead with Surface, knowing the price ot the WIN tablets

• BabelHuber

This pricing seems weird – the devices are too expensive, especially the Tegra 3-powered RT version.

If these prices turn out to be correct, perhaps the rumors were true this time – OEMs don’t like MS´ Surface-Tablets and hence rather sell tablets with Android.

So let’s see what the other OEMs will do, we might or might not see a pattern then.

Edited for spelling errors.