Murderbox makes a $1200 PC enclosure

If you thought Thermaltake’s Level 10 enclosure was pricey, then wait til you get a load of the Murderbox MKII. This new entry into the world of uber-expensive cases costs a whopping $1200, or $500 more than the Level 10. Unlike Thermaltake’s creation, though, the Murderbox MKII looks much more like a conventional chassis. In fact, it’s based on an existing design: the Silverstone TJ07.

While the TJ07’s skeleton provides the backbone for the Murderbox MKII, virtually every aspect of the case has been tweaked. With only a few exceptions, the entire thing is crafted from anodized aluminum. Some of the panels, including the motherboard tray and the walls of the drive cage, are a whopping 8 mm thick. The removable mobo tray is designed to provide a solid anchoring point for water-cooling reservoirs, and its rails slide on nylon-lined channels to make installation silky smooth.

The drive cage looks pretty slick, too. It can accommodate three 3.5″ drives and the same number of 2.5″ SSDs. Drives are held in beefy frames, which plug into a custom backplane that simplifies wiring. Unfortunately, though, there’s no option to hot-swap drives from outside of the case.

Provisions for water cooling can be found throughout the design, which supports quad-fan radiators and has an airy internal layout with plenty of room for plumbing. A handful of sleeved cables are included with the case, as is a slot-loading optical drive that conspicuously lacks Blu-ray support. Good thing there’s a stealthy 5.25″ drive bay, as well.

Amazingly, there are a number of optional accessories that can be purchased at an additional cost. The standard case appears to lack fans entirely, but dual spinners can be added to the top panel for a mere $150. As slick as the fan mount looks, it still costs more than most entire cases.

The Murderbox MKII has apparently been in development for two years, which makes me wonder why the company needs to rely on a Silverstone subframe. Surely, those pedestrian roots will turn off some of the folks likely to drop $1200 on the limited-edition chassis. Murderbox will make only 499 individually numbered MKII chassis, and interested parties can reserve one today. You can check out more pictures of the case in Murderbox’s image gallery. Thanks to Kotaku for the tip.

• rrr

I don’t see anything in that case that would make me want to pay more than $300 for it, let alone $1200.

• DLHM

For $1200 I can get a decent used 14′ aluminum boat and go fishing..
    edit: Maybe I could murder some fish.. I could definatly murder a 12-pack.

• Anarchist

is price of Aluminium that high these days? Or are these guys smoking crack?

• moose17145

Does anyone else just think of the show Metalocalypse when they hear the name “Murderbox” and laugh, or am i the only one?

Brutal…

• d0g_p00p

If I’m going to drop a insane amount of money on a case I would pick up one of the Zalman cases. Zalman’s $800 heat pipe and passive cooling case is a real work of art and engineering so I can understand why it costs so much money, this thing not so much

• jokinin

You can buy a very decent computer (nice case included) for 1200! I just don’t get the point with this thing 🙂

• chµck

You can [i<]say[/i<] your case is worth $1200.

• Grigory

No you can say you [i<]paid[/i<] $1200 for your case. There is a difference. 🙂

• ronch

The Million Dollar Man, Ted Dibiase (the finest wrestler that has ever set foot in the ring anywhere, according to himself), wouldn’t find this cheap case acceptable. He’d have a case especially crafted for him by Betteridge, made of pure gold and diamonds, diamonds of the highest quality, and he’ll pay a million dollars for it.

$1,200? Pay cheap get cheap.

• albundy

less than $50 worth of materials and workmanship? lian li can provide better.

• indeego

I dated a chick I nicknamed murderbox once. Many Planned Parenthood visits.

Don’t worry Conservatives: Everything worked out well for your moral clarity.

• chµck

Liberals can be against abortion too.

• Grigory

And conservatives can be for abortions, too. I have absolutely no problems with socialists removing themselves from the gene pool by killing their children.

• GeorgeMichael

And what’s wrong with Socialism?
          Social countries like Japan and Germany where there’s one nation comprised of one race and a government is elected by the people to represent their needs, demands and preserve their existence, a country where most social and public services; such as education, Internet and other important public services are free and are ranked in the top 3 in the world.
          Unlike the most of the Western countries mainly US and Canada, where the government is an alien body controlled by minority “jays” and is systematically destroying the foundations and the founding people of these countries by unjustified emigration of hundreds of thousands of mutants from all over the eastern world every year while outsourcing all the jobs to Asia, India and other eastern countries. The education is extremely expensive especially for the middle class families who cannot afford to pour 10s of thousands of dollars every year into universities. Important Public services such as transportation and telecommunication are some of the worst in the first world countries.

Abortion is good when it’s done by non-Europeans, because it helps reduce their huge unnecessary numbers especially in our countries where they have been brought against our will by those alien governments.

pure white-European females should have from their white-European males between 10-20 kids throughout their life and the government should pay for everything, “not really everything” till every single one of em is over 16. I say White-Europeans because there are the mixes, jays and the rest in between who are also white but not European.

Look what’s happening to the European settlers in Africa mainly South Africa, they are being kick out of the land that they have built and cultivated, their farms being taken from their hands and their families being attacked by the blacks and not a single Western country is doing shiz about that.
          But when Oprah the chimp goes and donates 100s of millions of dollars to those extremist blacks in S.Africa the media portrays her as a hero and a good doer, but here in the West if you say the holohoax never happened you get imprisoned even people like David Irving at 70 years old was imprisoned on his own land the UK because he denied the holohoax.

• shaurz

When you write a comments like the above in the comments thread of an article about PC enclosure, maybe you should turn off the PC, step back and wonder what you’re doing with your life.

~ Your Guardian Angel ~

• pedro

Real significant fail here dude.

• theonespork

Dude. MEDS!!! Please take them.

The funny thing is, I actually started reading this response with hope b/c there is a good debate about the actual merits of Socialism to be had in a theoretical world where everybody cares about the well being of everybody else and everyone is willing to sacrifice for a greater good. It is a fictional, Star Trek kind of world we will never see, but an interesting debate nonetheless. But not here. And not with a whack job leading the discussion.

As Pedro already stated, “Real significant fail.”

• PainIs4ThaWeak1

“Mannnnn, Shut da f*** up.”

No, really – You’re off your rocker, on all points.

• Wirko

The opposite of being against abortion is not being FOR abortion. You get it wrong, and the tone of your post tells that you get it wrong deliberately.

• Grigory

They should get O. J. Simpson to endorse it! 🙂

• 0g1

Lol $150 for 2 fans hahahaha.

At first when I saw $1200 for a case and the pics, I thought it must include some cool compressor cooling tech. Saw that rear lining and thought it was a radiator.

• rhysl

Yet the on button is way down the bottom .

• internetsandman

Is it wrong that I half expected it to come with a mid range PC pre-built inside it?

• kamikaziechameleon

see very little in the way of good design to compel me to buy said case.

• Madman

Is it just me or does it look more impractical than regular cases?

It’s actually worse that 50$ cases as far as I can see from pictures.

[b<]You young whippersnappers don't know what you're missing anymore; For a mere $1200 you can get a box with unfiltered cooling built right in....[/b<] I've long since given it away, but my best case had a homemade iron-pipe mod in the side panel and the drives were held in with blu-tack. The iron-pipe mod let me run my Duron 750 at 1GHz without a fan. Amazing, huh? It was also the best colour ever (beige, with the '[i<]not-quite-matching-because-the-plastic-yellowed-with-age-whist-the-paint-job-faded-in-the-sun[/i<]' two-tone effect).

• MadManOriginal

Two tones immediately make it 100% better!

• Shinare

LOL $1,200 just bought my son his first car.

• ludi

Yes, but do the fans on your son’s car have CNC-cut grills that look like a disassembled New Mexico state flag?

• Mightyflapjack

To make this case worth $1200 I would need to add about $800 of stuff:

* A separate cooling unit with active cooling elements (A/C water cool system, able to drop the fluid temperature to <35 degrees). All custom cable / tube / connectors included with price.

* A high quality Blu-Ray burner installed and perfectly matched to the case.

* A high quality 850 watt power supply installed, all modular cables, Gold Cert.

* A unique front panel LED display for graphics or sensor data.

* A central docking station with every connector type. (USB 3.0, Thunder, flash media, etc.)

* 2 built in e-SATA docks to insert drives

* Freebies (Added at no charge) : Synology 212j (w/ 1TB drive), Roku 2 XD, Wireless Keyboard/Mouse, 12 months Netflix access, and a custom mouse pad.

— That would make it worth the money… I would still rather buy a 2nd PC.

• 0g1

Nice ideas here.

• Squeazle

The blood streaks’ length could indicate your sensor data. That would be sweet.

• kumori

I really like the cable management aspects of this case, especially the all the PCB. Anything like this available for less than $1200?

• superjawes

I don’t know about that specific layout, but I’m planning on getting a Corsaid Obsidian 650D for my next build.

I want to take Murderbox and rub its face in this stinking pile of poop. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! LOOK AT WHAT YOU’VE DONE!

• HisDivineOrder

For the gamer who has more money than sense.

Everyone else would… build two systems with that money.

• Srsly_Bro

This case is beautiful, and the craftsmanship is amazing, but the price is ridiculous. By the time you purchase the add-ons for this case, $1200 will seem like a distant memory. Their best bet is selling it to a boutique shop where the customers are expected to pay very high prices for PCs. Craziness!

• Deanjo

WTF? No mITX standoff provisions? How the hell am I supposed to mount that atom board in there?

• chuckula

Atom board? That is WAY too high-end for this case — I mean “enclosure”!

I’m personally disappointed that you don’t get a bag of zip-ties that I could use to tether my Raspberry Pie to one of the drive bays~!

• pedro

Only 24 months to decide on a rectangular box case with 6 x HDD bays and a DVD drive?

• WillBach

When I clicked on this link, I thought it came with a PC inside. Pass!

• cjava2

Listen, if you’re going to mark up prices like crazy, you have to expend the money marketing it (like Bose).

This thing is hilarious.

• Johnny5

Like a Bose!

• chµck

[url<]http://i.imgur.com/5eD94.jpg[/url<]

• WillBach

I think you switched the S and D tags, unless the y-axis is reverse ordered. Nice graph, though. Illustrates the point 😀

• Johnny5

Ha ha ha ha ha!
      …I don’t get it.

• Ari Atari

To ruin the joke: its a graph of supply and demand. In general, there is a high demand for cheap things but a low supply as the seller won’t make money. As price increases, demand falls but supply increases as sellers make more and more money. He points out that the supply will be [i<]very[/i<] high, but the demand will be nonexistent. Edit: can't make italicized...

• chµck

[quote<]He points out that the supply will be very high, but the demand will be nonexistent.[/quote<] That, or they price it so high because they aren't expecting to sell many.

• MadManOriginal

Here’s what I’ve got:

It’s called Murderbox because…

…that’s what your significant other will do to you if you buy it.

…that’s what it will do to your wallet.

• Farting Bob

People who buy a $1200 case, with optional $150 fans clearly have the money to not worry about it. Sure if you are working a minimum wage job and you buy this you are an idiot, but there are plenty of people who probably spend $1200 on a bottle of wine that also are PC enthusiasts.

• bwcbiz

In other words, it’s made for the same suckers who buy Monster cables.

• internetsandman

Even if I was making a quarter of a million a year, this isn’t what I’d choose to be the recipient of $1200. For that money I’d just buy a $200 case and a thousand dollars worth of liquid cooling equipment

• holophrastic

you’d buy this case for one very simple reason — 8mm of aluminum. It’ll be super quiet, and it’ll last forever.

The price tag isn’t for the design, it’s for the material. That kind of good aluminum isn’t cheap, and the tools to work it even less so. And the experience to use those tools are eve more rare.

You’d buy this case after you’ve spent thirty thousand dollars on your home office (chair, desk, wood panelling, wood shelving, wool carpet, all normal things for a good room in a decent house) and you don’t want your ugly antec 100 case rattling through it all — like the one I’ve got six feet to my left.

• BobbinThreadbare

I can count the number of cases I’ve bought that have lasted less than 15 years on zero fingers. You can get a $50 case that will last close enough to “forever.”

• internetsandman

If I’m just going for quality and silence, I’ll take a good Fractal or Silverstone any day. This case is more for rich suckers than anything else. As I said in my post, I’d much rather buy something like an FT02 and mod it to accept a 3x180mm radiator and all the other LC hardware. Next to Intels extreme edition CPU’s, this is the epitome of diminishing returns. The money can be spent so many ways on a system that are so much nicer than this

• Squeazle

I’d just buy a $200 case and fill it with $1000.

But then, I’m poor.

• BobbinThreadbare

[quote<]there are plenty of people who probably spend $1200 on a bottle of wine[/quote<] I'm not sure this on it's own is true.

• cynan

So all those fancy liquor stores in high end areas of larger cities with dozens of vintages listed at $1000 and up are just for show? What about high end restos with extravagant wine lists? Someone must be buying them…

• internetsandman

I think they might be posted just in case someone comes in and buys them. Depending on the price the retailer got it for, that could be the largest and easiest profit they’ve ever turned

• BobbinThreadbare

Well I guess this really depends how you define “plenty.”

• glacius555

Rubbish.

I could justify the price as fair if it was a design marvel. It is not.

I could justify the price as fair if it brought new, truly revolutionary ideas. It doesn’t.

I could justify the price as fair if they included a bit more for the future owner, at least in form of state-of-art Noctua fans in MATCHING colors with a fan controller OR a complete set of water cooling solution. They did not..

Rubbish.

• Farting Bob

Noctua still have to use up that enormous vat of brown paint they got a great deal on years ago, no black fan for you!

• internetsandman

Just think about that kinda marketing spin though….

Premium feature, exclusive to this case, black noctua fans!

• BIF

You guys are the best. No disrespect to the article author of course, but sometimes the comments section is what makes an article truly enjoyable!

Seriously bro!

• Srsly_Bro

Did you call for me?

• Sargent Duck

For $1200, I want gold plated.

• Thatguy

Would you settle for bedazzled?

• BobbinThreadbare

With diamonds on the heads of all the screws.

• Squeazle

We would have to invent a new type of wrench. Facet-head wrench anyone?

• bthylafh

Pay attention, kids: this is called “conspicuous consumption”.

• rogue426

Finally a case worth putting my dual GTX 690 Hydro Copper’s and I7 3960X into. A buck fifty for 2 fans? are they made out of freakin platinum? I’d love to get a list of the 499 people who buy these, I have some great investments for them.

• flip-mode

I’d [i<]kill[/i<] for a case like that!

• Arclight

Caselabs cases pwns it.

• Hattig

If the average human lifespan was 1000 years, this would be a good investment.

• superjawes

Is it called “Murderbox” because you have to murder someone to afford it?

• ALiLPinkMonster

Your accountant perhaps.

• Jon1984

Does it come with The Sweet Spot components? 😀

• Elsoze

• dpaus

Where’s ‘Srsly_Bro’? – I need to borrow his username for a minute…

• Srsly_Bro

BIF already summoned me. You get one per news post.

actually the time stamp shows that dpaus was first. Srsly, bro. Srsly indeed. 😉

• Srsly_Bro

I just noticed there is a time stamp on every message. That’s interesting. 🙂

• dpaus

The ‘View options’ link lets you pick from a few different ways of ordering the messages, including ‘flat chronological’