Play Borderlands 2 today

Borderlands 2 is out today. To celebrate the release, Gearbox has put together a new trailer showing off the game’s diverse collection of characters, enemies, and, of course, guns. Check it out.

The initial batch of reviews is pretty positive. Borderlands 2 is lauded for its co-op action, although a few reviewers note that the campaign is a little difficult when playing alone. Some classes are apparently better suited to solo sessions. The single-player story seems to be more fleshed out than the original game’s narrative, though.

We’ve long known Borderlands 2 was laden with PC-specific goodies, and the PA Report is particularly positive about those enhancements. All the reviewers seem to enjoy the game’s unique personality, which is more tongue-in-cheek than the average first-person shooter. I’m particularly impressed with the visuals—not so much the graphical fidelity but the overall art direction and the varied palette used to paint the world.

If you didn’t pre-order the game, Borderlands 2 can be found on Steam for $60, with four-packs available for $180. Looks like you can get both for 10% off via Amazon, which has the game for $54 and co-op packs for $162. A Season Pass for all the upcoming DLC costs $30.

• CuttinHobo

I was impressed by GameFly on this one. They mailed it in time for me to play it on release day. A far cry from the 30-day delay that I’m used to with Netflix movies.

• Ryhadar

[quote<]Play Borderlands 2 today[/quote<] Play Torchlight II tomorrow! Good week.

• Johnny5

What’s wrong with their necks?

• willyolio

…torchlight 2 is released in 2 days

• squeeb

OMG. MUST RESIST PURCHASING. TOO MANY GAMES TO PLAY.

• Bensam123

Too much camera shaking and screen blinking. D:

We’ll have to wait and see what people think after the hype blows over.

You guys really do get screwed in the US on game pricing. It’s £29.99 on steam ($49) but you can get it for less from places like Play.com and Amazon for £25 ($40).

I don’t remember this when this disparity happened, but how long have games been $60 for you guys? I’m curious because at one point in time (Sega Genesis days) it was cheaper to import games from Japan or the US than to buy them here.

• superjawes

It could be worse. We could be in Australia…

• yogibbear

I’m from Australia and purchased it from GMG with a 20% off code for $37.50 a few days ago. Yeah the steam price sucks, but there’s other places around it that sell the same code that activates on steam.

However I can’t play the game yet as it doesn’t unlock here in Oz for another 16 hrs or so.

• indeego

The prices will be lower and lower weeks from now. By Winter Steam sale this will likely cost 30% what it does today.

• Goty

Prices really aren’t that bad. I paid somewhere around $40 for my preorder.

• BobbinThreadbare

This is the first time I have read a European telling the US we have higher prices on Steam.

• l33t-g4m3r

Steam is just price gouging. They charge well over the competition all while claiming you’re purchasing a subscription. Nevermind it should be cheaper for digital distribution. Anyone who pays these prices for this level of ownership is a sucker, plain and simple.

• internetsandman

Considering I’m in school at the moment and I’m only making like $170 from work each week, I’ve been debating for a week whether or not to actually buy it. An amazing game….or a week and a half of good food…..SUCH A HARD CHOICE

• ALiLPinkMonster

I’m right there with ya man.

#FWP

• Washer

$60 can buy a month’s worth of good food… unless your definition of good food means prepared by someone else.

• lilbuddhaman

To a college student “good food” = not ramen, ezmac, canned soup… unless you’re some jackass piling up their student loans with frivolous stuff like meal plans.

• TurtlePerson2

Canned soup is actually kind of expensive. It’s $2 or more for a can of chunky soup. And despite the slogan, one can of that stuff isn’t really a full meal.

My college student meal of choice is a box of pasta with a can of Italian seasoned diced tomatoes. You get two meals out of a box of pasta and a can of tomatoes, which means you pay about $1 per meal. It tastes really good too.

• Bensam123

Yup… ready made meals are really expensive. College students buy a lot of those though as they’re cheap and easy. The box just shows you how to do it.

You get things really cheap when you start putting together the raw ingredients yourself… the Box pretty much tells you how and you can google the rest.

• lilbuddhaman

[url<]http://www.amazon.com/Nissin-Super-Meal-Chicken-Flavor/dp/B0029K3EMU[/url<] These puppies cost $1 at my grocery store. That's a college meal and cannot possibly be "made cheaper with raw ingredients". And to make them a "full meal", you can add in a few misc spices and/or a fried egg. Weight Watchers / Stir-Fry Bags / Etc etc pre-made meals are the expensive ones, and a whole other level outside college student imo.

• albundy

thats what a homeless bum said to me too!

• internetsandman

Food is a tad more expensive here in Canada….along with pretty much everything else

• oldDummy

Keg parties are expensive.

• guardianl

[url<]http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs[/url<] $49.99 in Canada, shipped free, one day only @ Dell.

• glacius555

Gotta love NPCs that do EVERYTHING to hide from your bullets!

• Walkintarget

I am quite close to finishing the original game, with the best DLCs already finished. I have 2 more DLCs to wade thru, and this is all just using Roland with no experimentation done on any other classes (don’t want to get away from my goal of finishing the game).
    Once I made it to the intro of the alien baddies levels, the game lost its appeal to some extent, but I remain optimistic that I will finish the game by the time Borderlands 2 can be had for $10-15 next year.

No rush, I will never pre-order any game, save maybe CoH 2 (CoH is my all time fave game).

• thesmileman

Just played the first 4 hours and am really really impressed. The game is very polished and the options menu is insane. I really like the PhysX effects in this are awesome. I have the entire thing maxed out with physX on high and it looks awesome the blood and debris are really really awesome and add a lot which seems like the first game where they realy did much.

Plus I am laughing my head off!

• Duck

Wow, it works out to cost about 48.73 USD in the UK. Or maybe that should be 40.60 USD taking the tax into account.

Has this ever happened before?

• leor

Diggin it so far!

Just got my first Badass level!

• Duck

>Play Borderlands 2 today

*Clicks the link to the store page on Steam*

>Available: 21 September 2012
    >This game will unlock in approximately 2 days and 5 hours

America is not the world rant. Blah blah blah.

• Krogoth

Blame the publisher for localizations. 😛

• yogibbear

This is one of the posts where the count of the +’s and -‘s as separate categories would actually be interesting. I figure there’s about 20 minus’ from all the americans and the rest of us +1’ing.

• lilbuddhaman

One would think that these superior intelligence non-Americans would have used one of the several methods of obtaining a US key to circumvent the publisher restrictions.

• yogibbear

I did, you still need to VPN if you want to get around it though which in the steam EULA can get your entire account (read: $5k worth of games) locked on you. Though I just got home from work and can’t wait the last 2 hrs…… So… let’s see how this vpn stuff goes…

• Geistbar

I’m from the US and gave a +1. Having separate launch dates for no (apparent) real reason is stupid, even if I don’t directly suffer from it very often.

• Duck

Do they do it in order to make it easier to deal with any potential influx of tech support issues on launch?

There are better ways: For example, the game should be playable as beta quality for quite some time as it is being developed (instead of releasing it as beta quaility). Or if they want all the hype and excitement of a launch date, then they should release it to UK first, then to the USA maybe a week later when they’ve had a chance to patch any major issues.

• Geistbar

It’s mostly a marketing reason — the US has its retail chain designed around Tuesday releases, while Europe’s is set for a different day (Sept 21 is Friday, but I don’t know if that’s the typical day for Europe). So, yeah, it isn’t completely meaningless. Yet, digital sales remove that aspect, and I don’t believe there is anything other than base inertia that dictates using the specific day of the week for sales.

The types of things I was thinking of were needing extra time to do localization (more of an issue for smaller outfits), complying with local laws (such as in Germany, where violence and Nazi imagery are regulated rather strongly), setting up local infrastructure such as for MMOs or mutliplayer heavy titles, or when physical production is limited.

• indeego

Anyone want to co-op schedule this for when it’s $5?

• lilbuddhaman

yes actually. I’m waiting on the GOTY edition with all (most) of the DLC’s. I’m guessing…. November?

• DancinJack

I’m in for that. It will almost surely be on the holiday sale.

• odizzido

That’s my current plan for purchase too.

• Srsly_Bro

• south side sammy

Where’s the demo ?

• Meadows

Who thumbed down this man?

• Goty

It actually came out a few years ago, it’s called Borderlands. Gotta pay for it, though.