AMD’s Client Division chief is also leaving

The executive exodus continues at AMD. On the heels of yesterday’s news about AMD CFO Thomas Seifert throwing in the towel, the Wall Street Journal now reports that Chris Cloran, the man in charge of AMD’s client products, is also leaving the chipmaker.

According to an AMD press release issued in June, Cloran was Corporate VP and General Manager of AMD’s Client Business Unit. The Journal adds that Cloran "oversaw chips used in products such as personal computers." Pat Moorhead, a former AMD executive turned industry analysts, also told the paper that Cloran was responsible for operations that made up "about 80% of AMD’s revenue."

AMD has confirmed Cloran’s departure, and it says Lisa Su will take on his duties as interim Client Division chief. Su hasn’t been with the company for long. She joined the company last December as Senior VP and General Manager of AMD’s Global Business units, replacing AMD and ATI veteran Rick Bergman, who resigned a few months prior.

On a related note, the Journal has managed to find out more details about Thomas Seifert’s departure. It quotes a "person familiar with the situation" as saying Seifert "enjoyed running AMD and now plans to try for a CEO position at another company." Seifert served as AMD’s interim CEO between the ousting of former CEO Dirk Meyer in January 2011 and the appointment of Rory Read to the position in August 2011.

AMD, meanwhile, stresses that Seifert’s resignation is "not based on any disagreement over the company’s accounting principles or practices, or financial-statement disclosures."

• ronch

• HisDivineOrder

Every time there’s news about someone at AMD leaving the company I feel like, “Whew, thank God I didn’t buy AMD.” Would hate to have AMD when they go out of business. No wonder God kept throwing out warning signs to that TR editor guy (ie., wood beam almost hits him, then he gets dog sick after meeting them again) who kept meeting with them. 😉

God knew. Haha! AMD is checking out of this world and it’s taking lots of hopes and dreams with it. If you don’t believe me, then take the word of all the executives leaving as fast as their lil’ feets will carry them. They wouldn’t be leaving if it wasn’t about to tank. It’s like the Titanic. First, the upper class go to the lifeboats in a slow, orderly fashion. Then, after the sinking becomes obvious, go the cheapseats, the customers, and the rats.

By then, it’s every man for himself. The rats fling themselves off the boat in a vain hope of escaping a deep, dark watery grave.

Meanwhile, many of us are riding on the HMS nVidia and HMS Intel ships that are circling the sinking HMS AMD. We clink our glasses together and chuckle about “The Poors” while nibbling on expensive cheeses and watch the end with a curious if distant interest in the end of a ship not unlike ours. “What happened to them?” asks one of the younger among us. He almost bought a Radeon.

“Oh, them. They liked to run into every lil’ iceberg they could find in the water. If it was there, they’d fling themselves at it. We kept telling them to release a CPU that wasn’t YET ANOTHER Phenom, but that’s all they did. For years and years. Then they bought ATI and we said, ‘Don’t do it, you can’t make enough money quickly enough to warrant integrating their culture into yours.’ But they wouldn’t listen. Now look at them. Sinking. Truly disheartening.” Then the man would turn. “Can I have a refill? All this talk of Radeons and Phenoms and Bulldozers, it’s making me rather thirsty.”

In the distance, a band can be heard playing. It’s the same old song and dance that band’s been playing since AMD started slamming into icebergs. “When will they stop playing and go for a lifeboat?”

“Never, my boy. Never. Those are the ATI fanatics. They’ve been there since the beginning and they’ll be there to the bitter end. No doubt, many of them survived the HMS 3dFX going down and think they can do it again. Must I ask for my next drink yet again? I have a thirst most dire!”

• obarthelemy

The strage thing is that when I went shopping for a mini-ITX build able to play WoW a few months back, I ended up with an A8-3870 because it offered the best integrated graphics.
    Even that seems to be changing with Ivy Bridge though ?

• Deanjo

Yup, for the first time since the 8088 I bought a intel processor yesterday. (Also a mITX build with a i3-3225). There were just too many deficiencies with going the AMD route I’m afraid.

• OU812

[quote<]Yup, for the first time since the 8088[/quote<] I started with the 8008 back in 1975. Those were the fun days when you hand built everything (wire wrap, point to point soldering). I used 2 sided PCB breadboards that I ordered that had to have the holes drilled (I saved money for that). I was a very poor hobbyist back then. The 8008 cost me $50 and needed a board full or TTL logic just to become a real CPU. I remember it could run register-to-register instructions at 50,000 IPS. Other OPs were slower. Did hand assembly of programs and entered them in Octal with toggle switches. Even now I can still remember the Register MOVE instruction as 3xx (in octal) so 301 was move 8-bit B register to A register. The maximum memory the 8008 could address was 16 Kbytes. I only could afford 1 Kbyte. [url<]http://bytecollector.com/archive/mark_8/My_Mark-8_Info/Software/8008_InstructionSet_CodeSort.PDF[/url<] Completed system was mounted on metal box that had the toggle switched mounted on front. Circuit boards were mounted on top of box horizontally with vertical 3" spacers creating separation between them. A peg board was mounted on the front which had the LED indicators pushed through the holes. The system had no nonvolatile memory or external storage so when power was turned off all data in the ram was lost and had to be hand entered again. Best program I remember writing was a solitaire game called Clock. It did a random 52 card deck shuffle and then played the game. I had to learn how to generate a pseudo-random numbers and then generate 52 of them and sort them (along with the card associated) to shuffle the deck. [url<]http://boardgames.about.com/od/solitaire/a/clock.htm[/url<] The game required no decision making as each move is determined by the card played. The program played continuously keeping track of wins and losses. I could pause and read out the results. The final results were that for many 100's of games you have a 1 in 22 chance of winning. When the game was playing it was cool to see the front panel LEDs cycle.

• ronch

Wow, you sure are a computer veteran, sir! I wasn’t even born yet in 1975 and you’re already putting hardware together and coding! @_@

• sschaem

The A8-3870k crush the i3-3225 for multimedia and gaming and is 50% cheaper. (90$ vs 140$)
        This might matter to a few people.

And I dont think for app like office, the web, etc.. you can tell the difference between the two machines.
        so you need to run some very specific CPU bound task to go intel ?

After reading all the reviews I would go with an A10-4600m for a HTPC or even a laptop,
        Since I’m not after more CPU power, but more GPU power.

Game FPS directly translate to a good or bad experience, being able to encrypt twice faster?
        Nearly irrelevant to a computing experience.

• Deanjo

When it comes to “multimedia” the even the older slower SB i3’s crush the 3870 (even without using items like Quicksync and just straight h264 encoding), sorry to disappoint you (just google any 3870 review that has an i3 in it).

Also the A8 is far more power hungry then the i3. Since the unit is not going to be a gaming the added horsepower of the A8’s GPU has zero appeal to me (although I could still use one of the many extra cards I have sitting around and skin the 3870 in that reguard too if I wished but the HD4000 does what it has to do just fine).

Also since the unit will be running linux it also has superior graphics and multimedia support compared to any AMD APU.

There is also the limited expandability that the current AMD A series motherboards have. Trying to find a mITX motherboard with 6 SATA ports is next to impossible.

So in summary I went the i3 for the following reasons:

1) better multimedia performance (especially in linux land)
          2) better expandability
          3) larger selection of boards
          4) better power utilization
          5) better network cards (I’ll take an intel nic over a realtek any day)
          6) better i/o performance

and as an added bonus I can also use the above system to run a hackintosh setup.

• Mr Bill

Hmmm? [url<]https://techreport.com/review/21730/amd-a8-3800-fusion-apu/8[/url<]

• Krogoth

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmZBOY6Mczk[/url<]

• Sargent Duck

I have 4 years experience working technical support. Wonder if I can get a job as a senior executive…

• HisDivineOrder

You’re overqualified. Sorry.

• ronch

Well, they may be looking for someone who can count transistors.

• anotherengineer

do
    do
    do
    chshhh
    and another one bites the dust

• shank15217

The comments on this article sickens me.. you are all on a tech site which reviews computer parts and all i hear are stupid one liners about how amd is isn’t relevant any more. Ok so tell me what is relevant on this site? How many Intel and Nvidia chips can Scott and crew review? What would be the point of even having reviews without a competing product?

Comments like “BD really was the cannonball that sank this ship” ??? what does this even mean? BD doesn’t work? Have you used BD in non-desktop environments? Hasn’t it been replaced? Didn’t AMD clearly state that its a new architecture and there is room to grow? Hasn’t TR done reviews on it’s successor that clearly shows progress? I can understand criticism but these superlatives are just FUD. AMD is facing tough competition, no one even dares to compete with Intel except for this company and you trolls spew BS in every AMD thread on every site I visit.

• indeego

>Ok so tell me what is relevant on this site?

Me.

> k so tell me what is relevant on this site?

Not Intel or AMD. Platforms are far more interesting and competitive. Raw computing power is for the men above us.

>What would be the point of even having reviews without a competing product?

Microsoft, HP, Dell aren’t competing, they are drowning. I’m Microsoft trained and certified and I’m jumping ship. Do you really think their strategy will survive?

>no one even dares to compete with Intel except for this company and you trolls spew BS in every AMD thread on every site I visit.

So no one competes with Intel? SO THE F WHAT? Intel isn’t at 700. Intel just settled antitrust. They are probably under investigation for a few more. Apple meanwhile just doubled their most profitable device pre-orders and you want more Intel versus AMD? Wow what a battle of insignificance.

AMD is a has-been. They had an incredible opportunity with AMD64, and dropped it right then and there by not using that momentum to hire top talent that would have seen that momentum and grew it further.

AMD is dead.

• faramir

Bulldozer isn;t justt the chip they are selling today. It is a multi-year delay, the reason why AMD couldn’t keep up in performance race with Intel anymore. Hence the cannonball is pretty appropriate.

• designerfx

It’s more simple – you don’t read techreport for the comments, because you know nothing accurate or of value will be there.

Wow, self-righteous much? Get over yourself.

• clone

is Rory Read the last one left?

is he going to shut the lights off on the way out or will they already be off because of non payment and he’ll be using the stolen led flashlight he pinched on the way in to find his way out?

• HisDivineOrder

His golden parachute is already waiting for him in the loading bay. The doors are being lowered, the plane’s in a controlled descent, and everyone who isn’t important has already bailed or been sedated. He’s strutting his way to the back of the plane, listening to his iPhone play, “You spin me right round right round, baby, like a record, baby right round,” as he heads back to bail out. Stopping, he leans down and tries a bit of one of the sedated investors’ tea and triscuits.

“Yum,” he says and nods, then resumes his way to the back of the plane where his parachute is waiting. He has a paid man there to watch it and guarantee its remaining. Just so happens, that man is a lawyer.

• BestJinjo

You are not making any sense. He is restructuring the entire management team from scratch. A CEO that’s giving up wouldn’t be hiring John Gustafson, a well-known technology leader at Intel, as senior fellow and chief product architect for AMD’s graphics business unit. Read overhauled AMD’s top-management team, which now includes Lisa Su and Mark Papermaster, senior vice presidents who both had lengthy tenures at International Business Machines Corp., as did Mr. Read.

It’s pretty obvious he is putting in the people he wants and if other higher level management isn’t agreeing with the way he is managing the company, they are either getting the boot or leaving voluntarily before he chops their heads off. In July, the company reported dismal second-quarter results. Guess who is to blame for it? It sure as heck can’t be a new CEO. The people are leaving have been with AMD for 5-10 years and they are the ones who managed AMD during the Phenom to Bulldozer days and have obviously failed to do a good job. If you were a new CEO, would you want to rebuild a company using a management team that has already proven to be a terrible one?

• south side sammy

Qualcomm has a thing for AMD graphics………. buyout………………..

• chµck

I was wondering why AMD was the tech stock loser today. Insider trading up in here?

• Deanjo

“Will the last one out please turn off the lights?”

• NeelyCam

Rory’s working his magic.

I don’t know.. this could turn out to be interesting. Maybe there was too much Old Guard resistance to any major changes, and changes are needed. Replacing everyone might just do the trick.

AMD still has plenty of good engineers with a ton of experience. If the new management can instill Hope and Change, and get rid of any infighting and powerplays Glassdoor reviews are talking about, AMD might still get rejuvenated.

• Flatland_Spider

AMD has been grossly mismanaged, so purging the old guard was probably inevitable.

• sunner

your Post gives me a ray of hope in all this gloom.
      Thanx.
      Whats this about “infighting & powerplays” among AMD’s top brass?
      Is that what young Rory Reed is grappling with? Good luck, kid.

• ish718

God damn those bulldozer engineers

• NeelyCam

BD really was the cannonball that sank this ship

• LocalCitizen

can’t blame the engineers. it’s the management that dictates a high GHz chip and gives the plan the go-ahead.
      BD was something like 3 year late. it’s all bad management when you get a project in deep doo doo like that.

• sschaem

And who decided to release a multimedia APU in 2011 with only SSE2 ?

Even my old core2 had more multimedia power then the first Fusion chip (llano)

A llano with SSE5 would have made a big impact on driver code, game and multimedia benchmarks.

Or imagine a 32nm 8core Thuban with SSE5 … etc… AMD shoot itself in the foot.

And it was the CEO that sold ATI profitable mobile division, and stopped all mobile effort in 2009 when the market was exploding.
        The engineers (and ATI) where going ‘nvidia’ and AMD manamgment stopped them.

• OneArmedScissor

[quote<]Or imagine a 32nm 8core Thuban...[/quote<] Or imagine a 32nm quad-core of the same core architecture that they could actually produce in volume...oh wait. Yes, "just" moving the existing designs to a much more efficient process would have been terrific. The trouble is that it didn't work. I'd have to figure that's also why they released Bulldozer in a sorry state, which was only in gajillion core server form.

• sschaem

Was it the CPU or the GPU … of even GF that cause AMD headaches ?

My take is that AMD had issue with the process and having the GPU on the same die.

More core, or SSE5 would have been a non-issue.

• codedivine

Llano has support for SSE4a.

• JMccovery

I know it was already dealt with earlier, but, where did you get your information about Llano only supporting SSE2? Even the C- and E-series support SSE3…

I feel the reason there was no 32nm shrink of Deneb/Thuban was that someone at AMD felt that 32nm Stars products wouldn’t be able to compete (not that Interlagos and Valencia are setting the world on fire) with upcoming Xeon products. Remember, since the launch of K8, AMD has followed a ‘server first, client second’ approach.

• sschaem

AMD CFO had a very short run at the company.

[url<]http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/2488/000119312509205522/dex101.htm[/url<] Convenient that he also leaves exactly at the time all his option and share grant have vested 🙂 Nice little table that show who is milking AMD from the inside. Some people there are making a lot of money, lots of bonus I guess. [url<]http://www.secform4.com/insider-trading/2488.htm[/url<] Side note: In the past 2 years, only 2 insider have purchased AMD stock all the rest is stock sale.

• NeelyCam

Interesting links. It’s cool to see how the 1% plays this game. I was gonna say that CFOs stock options were probably so deep underwater that they were a disincentive to stay, but then I saw all those $0 option grants there…

• MadManOriginal

What I noticed more was all the $0 grants the directors are getting (giving to themselves)?

• NeelyCam

I guess when the stock keeps tanking, the only way to make options worth something is to give them at a $0 strike price

• Walkintarget

Geez, who’s next ?? Customers leaving as well ??

Oh wait …

Sorry .. I hadda do it. I own more AMD rigs than Intel at this moment, but I am a gamer, and AMD just doesn’t cut it to build a rig that will last me 3+ years.

• indeego

The thing is they weren’t cutting it 3 years ago either.

Core2, never looked back. And I almost always root for the underdog.

• albundy

it did for me! my phenom2 955 is still running like a champ! core2quad was below its performance grade at the time and i7 was just coming out, and with a pricetag that was insane. i paid $270 for a msi 790fx board and the cpu 3 to 4years ago as a combo deal on eggy. an i7 alone would have cost nearly double that and another $300 for a board to support it!

• paulWTAMU

The AMD64 was the last time they had a world class product, but they at least had good value products through what, the early X4’s? they weren’t as fast as high end Intels but they were good enough and cheap…now, even that’s pretty much gone.

• superjawes

I had to check…yeah. X4 was around 2008, which was also the 45nm Core 2 phase. Intel followed that up with the Nahlem Core i7, which I remember being a strong performance increase over AMDs, led to the server versions (which I think was quad core Intels beating hex core AMDs), and just hit after hit from Intel.

I think the big push, even if it wasn’t clear at the time, was the Ultrabook. Strong processors that ran cool with low power consumption are great for mobile platforms, but can also lend a lot of good development in the desktop lines, too. Hence the Ivy processors beating AMD in power, heat, and performance.

Sad…I would love to see AMD trade blows with Intel the way their GPUs are trading blows with Nvidia.

• Walkintarget

Indeed. I’ve built a metric shit-ton of PCs over the past 20 years, and it was great back in the day seeing the AMD underdog kick Intel in their PrescAss. It forced Intel to drop prices and redesign their failed architecture. But once the Core 2 arrived, it was back to AMD trying to fit into the value market.

I will assume we here at TR are in the minority, what with our higher end systems and discrete vid cards, with a good deal of gamers in the mix. I might work on 30-40 co-worker PCs as a side job, and all but maybe 3 of those were the basic low end Mom n Pop PCs with integrated graphics.

AMD would work fine for all of those users except for the 3 light/medium gamers out of my numbers. But this is Uhmerica, dammit, and we like to think (or the salesmen tell the masses) that the Intel system they are eying up will run the intarweb faster (not true) or run their software faster (again, not true except in rare cases).

Will Intel run games faster ?? Hell ya, but the majority aren’t PLAYING higher end games either.

• Bauxite

AMD saved us from Rambust, Itanic and the 32 bit crunch on the desktop. Combined with some strong price wars for awhile, we should be very grateful as computer enthusiasts.

Just look at all the sickening segmenting Intel gets away with now, give them a few more years of free reign and its going to suck really bad. (and no, ARM is only a threat from bottom up, not top down)

• jdaven

I’m not going to get worried until they elevate the janitor to an CxO position. Lol!

• thanatos355

At this point, who else is even left? lol

• Deanjo

They laid off the janitors over a year ago.

• jdaven

That’s janitor not janitors. And according to my sources his name is Walter Jeremiah Sanders III.

/Oh no he didn’t

• blastdoor

At this point there is really no need for anyone to even contemplate buying AMD. All you have to do is put a recruiter in the parking lot and pick off the best employees as they flee the building.

Edit:

ostPe irstFe

• ludi

[quote<]ostPe irstFe[/quote<] The Internet Anagram Server returns "foster spite" and "pesto strife".

• Xylker

Run it through the pig Latin machine first

• tfp

Yeah I’d make sure to hire their successfully high level managers…