iOS 6 Maps app disappoints; Google substitute on the way

The iPhone 5 came out today. On it ships iOS 6, which also became available for older iDevices on Wednesday. iOS 6 offers some long-awaited improvements over past releases, and it’s been largely well-received—in all but one respect: everyone hates the new Maps app.

Yesterday, BBC News posted a whole gallery of the new Maps’ failings, from not displaying some roads and serving pixelated satellite images to downright misplacing entire towns. Columnists from Fortune, the Wall Street Journal, Time, and Bloomberg have all slammed the app, citing either bugs or missing features. Lots of users are livid. Some have turned their frustration into satire.

Relief may be on the way, though. According to TechCrunch, the folks at Google are hard at work on a Google Maps app for iOS:

Debunking the diabolical theory that Google will take as long as it likes to release its Maps App, in an effort to convert people to Android, I’ve got a source telling me that the Google Maps team is taking this as a crisitunity, doubling down on staff, lining up the team and resources to have a standalone iOS app in the App store “before Christmas.”

The TechCrunch story also cites a 9to5Mac article that claims Google Maps for iOS app is already awaiting approval. However, that seems to be a mischaracterization of a report by The Guardian, which only says the app will "appear in time." The Guardian also questions whether Apple will approve the app when it’s submitted—a fair concern, although Google’s Chrome web browser is already available on iOS, and it, like the prospective Google Maps app, competes with built-in iOS functionality.

Apple, meanwhile, sounds largely unapologetic about the functional downgrade it’s imposed upon users. Here’s what the company said, according to another TechCrunch posting:

Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service. We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation, and Siri integration. We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better.

As The Guardian points out, such statements are of little consolation to iOS users who must rely on mobile maps daily. "Mapping is now a key function in smartphones," says the paper. "Getting it wrong is on a par with having a phone that loses connectivity when you’re holding it wrong."

I couldn’t agree more. Because the new Maps doesn’t offer public transit directions, I’ve had to seek out an alternative app to restore the functionality—TransitTimes+ which, to its credit, has more features than the old iOS Maps app. I’ve noticed that walking paths here in Vancouver’s lovely Stanley Park are missing, and I’ve realized that, when you ask the app for directions, there’s no easy way to switch between driving and walking routes. Satellite images are ugly and disappear if I zoom in too far, and Google Street View is gone entirely, with no substitute.

Replacing key functionality with a half-baked substitute might have been excusable in Apple’s underdog days. But now that Apple is the "most valuable company of all time" (according to CNN Money), it’s simply unforgivable.

• boomshine

It’s either they didn’t test their application, or they are aware that there are problems with it. damn Apple.

• moog

After a decade, gmaps still has problems. [url<]http://bit.ly/Q9QAyn[/url<]

They are the exceptions not the rule. With iOS 6 that role is reversed.

• ronch

Well, I’m not really familiar with Apple products or the problems people encounter using them, but I do have the impression that they are very well polished, considering Apple’s glistening reputation (or is it just the fanbois and fangurls?). I’m not gonna bash Apple and laugh at this issue, but I just find it a little bit (just a littlle bt!) unsettling that they let this problem slip out. What’s this gonna mean for Apple’s reputation? I’m not an Apple fan but I do acknowledge their ability to make really good products, and I just think that this is a big no-no.

• entropy13

Apparently bridges in New York look like roller-coaster rides and the runways in Toronto’s airport is…not flat.

• JohnC

It’s a “side effect” of blindly applying the “3D terrain” algorithms to every surface. Seriously, Apple should just fire everyone who was responsible for creating the maps and start completely anew, or at least mark the “Maps” app/feature as “beta”…

• moog

To summarize, let’s not forgive them because Cyril can’t navigate through the lovely walking paths of Stanley Park to sell crack to kids (just a wild guess).

Google’s refusal to open their platform to Apple was anti-competitive, can’t blame Apple for dropping them, but…

Why is Google maps part of Google search?

– these are two separate businesses
    – if you search it brings up maps,
    – anti-competitive behavior in one business to preserve competitive advantage in another

Should Google be broken up?

Let’s be fair, for reference, Microsoft was broken up for lesser reasons,

[url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft[/url<]

• willmore

I’m sorry, your application to be a troll has been denied. We thank you for your time and wish you better luck in the future–elsewhere.

• moog

Thank you for the opportunity to be considered by Trolls R Us. The experience served to reinforce my strong interest in becoming a part of your management team. I can be reached at (540) 891-1291 or at my new permanent location in Cyril’s butt.

• moog

Why is Google so condescending? [url<]http://tinyurl.com/38b6x4e[/url<]

• Usacomp2k3

I prefer Waze anyway.
    [url<]http://www.waze.com/[/url<]

• kc77

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/20/tech/mobile/apple-maps-complaints/index.html<] Apple iOS 6 maps are a mess[/url<] LOL

• tygrus

Some people were having trouble with the new Apple maps because it lists every possible suburv match from around the world. Not so good looking for Springfield in Australia and getting Springfield in USA. I’ve heard the best way to avoid this is to wait for the map app to get a full GPS lock of your current location before starting the search.

• Meadows

When Jobs told Tim Cook to never ask what he’d do, Tim apparently listened.

• JohnC

I agree that new Maps are somewhat disappointing in several areas, as well as not being very accurate… I believe the problems are the TeleAtlas/TomTom’s map/POI database (I’ve used TeleAtlas-based products in several portable devices, as well as cars like some current BMW models – I’ve had issues with ALL of those devices, such as severely outdated POIs, bad routing during navigation, missing minor street names, etc.) as well as the way Apple converts this data into their own format for their Maps. Would be nicer if they would’ve at least tried to use NAVTEQ’s database instead…

• xeridea

There are millions of tomtoms around, for years and years, though not perfect, they never had such astronomical problems… entire towns misplaced? Thats not what you call minor. The data provider even had a statement saying they were in no way at fault.

• trackerben

The secret sauce in TomTom navigation smarts is their crowdsourced route optimizations and map corrections. Their hardware satnavs work great. Predicted slack and arrival times are spot on for West Coast drives, although I mainly do pre-trip route and itinerary planning with Google due to its superb Streetview.

But if TomTom is supplying Apple to that level of crowdsource technology, then it may be only a matter of time before Apple Maps becomes the on-the-road navigation leader. TomTom could eventually get bought out, or else it will drop its consumer hardware and remodel itself into a data provider.

• trackerben

NAVTEQ is now owned by Nokia and is the mapsource for its navigation app although it still sells data to traditional GPS vendors like Garmin. No one complains about Nokia proprietary mapping and navigation on Belles and Lumias, or its absence on other mobile platforms like Android or iOS. Certainly not the Get Apple crowd, who have their bane.

But for now mapping is not the selling point it should have been for iPhone 5. It’s a small win for Android, and a huge win for Nokia which needs the attention far more. The new Lumias look better everyday.

• thesmileman

I saw the flyover demo from C2 Technologies THREE years ago of Las Vegas and was able to view the city in 3D with great precision, detail and very very few registration error so few that you really didn’t notice. That demo did NOT have ANY of the problems of the current maps and it was fully interactive. I just don’t understand how in the time apple has owed C2 Technologies they have taken it and made it worse than that what I saw three years ago.

• Silus

You mean like they did with Siri, which at the time that Apple bought it, it was much better than it is now that Apple integrated it into its OS ?

• bthylafh

[url<]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dtIrIcc3HVI/UFyPSqQKqrI/AAAAAAAAoxE/VNhxVzAxSjI/w497-h373/1.jpg[/url<]

• indeego

More important than IOS or google, this is one of the problems with relying on these packaged platforms so much. Google could just as easily screw over billions of users with failure in any number of areas. Just the other day my son couldn’t log into his phone for 12 hours because google auth was down for some subset of users. This impacted about 3/4 of his phone’s functionality. Support? Nil.

• xeridea

How do you log into your phone? And how would this make the phone useless? Can’t use the market? Oh my gosh, the world is ending… or maybe he could go outside.

• PixelArmy

I for one am glad the iPhone only gets tech when it has sufficiently matured, so as not to disrupt the overall user experience…

• ratte

I think this pretty much sums up the situation

[url<]http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/post/31928801412[/url<]

• brucethemoose

So, updated my IP4 to iOS 6, next morning opened the maps app for buses… yay, no transit info!

I don’t have my schedule down quite yet. No problem, I just open the maps app like I usually do… the UT campus is distinctly more empty than I remember. And UT Austin isn’t just some tiny country college… it’s 50,000+ students, and Apple fabs iPhone chips here, for gods sake.

Open the UTexas app. It relied on the old maps app… and just crashes.

The Appstone was too slow to search for an alternative, and I simply didn’t have time.

The IP4 reception issues, the GPS tracking fiasco, iOS 5 battery issues… those were all just issues. They didn’t really affect the world outside my iPhone, and Apple acknowledged them/attempted to fix them. Sure, they were annoying at times, but they didn’t mess with my life.

But this iOS 6 “feature” promoted by Apple made me very late to class, and would’ve destroyed my daily routine had I not downgraded to iOS 5.

When I heard the IP5 had a custom A15 and strong GPU, in spite of the dock connector, stretch screen, and lack of a jailbreak/SD slot, I was hell bent on getting one. But this “issue” is different… Apple won’t be seeing any of my money anytime soon. When TI finally gets OMAP 5 out, they’ll get it instead.

• tanker27

Yeah the maps suck.

The new connector is awesome.

The new phone overall is better than the 4, way better than the 3 and 3gs, but meh against the 4s.

• Farting Bob

The new connector is awesome? That is the best thing about the new phone? That they made the connector smaller?

• tanker27

Sure its awesome and you dont even have look at it to plug it in. It can go either way.

There ARE some OS improvements that are actually quite good and also some Siri improvements, my favorite is that Siri can launch apps. So I can say “Siri, open Pandora and play Foo Fighters Channel.” which is good so I dont have to fumble about while driving.

I dont understand what people expect. Its a phone first and foremost.

Its aesthetically pimp, the new aluminum back makes it cool like the MBP.

/shrug

• sweatshopking

[quote<] my favorite is that Siri can launch apps. [/quote<] Nice to see they caught up with the original wp7 tell me stuff.

• BobbinThreadbare

Or the Vlingo app that’s been on Android for years.

A USB connector like, uh, [i<]every other phone on the market[/i<] would be [b<]awesomer[/b<].

• Silus

No, that would actually BENEFIT their customers…

It’s impressive the amount of people even supporting these Apple shenanigans…they WILLINGLY IGNORE standards and make life HARDER for their customers, that have to buy specific adapters and whatnot and those same customers praise Apple for it…

Imagine a world where every company followed the idiocy at Apple and their followers where EVERYTHING had its own connector, its own adapter, its own dock…absolutely NO standards……..

• willyolio

benefit? if they use a plain old USB cable, how will true apple fans find an excuse to donate an extra $25?

• HisDivineOrder

I remember that story where Steve Jobs had all the employees working on MobileMe gather in an auditorium so he could berate them for hours.

I think that if he were still alive that would be happening again. Except with the Maps team. Alas, the Jobs is gone and with him… the high standards that Apple seemingly put upon themselves.

Now, the argument is, “Hey, you get what you get, be glad you get something. We could just… not give you nothin’.” The obvious way that their whole, “Our way or the highway” approach can go terribly, terribly wrong. Jobs got away with it because he tended to get things right pretty much immediately and, if he didn’t, he’d crap out a cow about it.

But it appears Cook is meh about it. He don’t care. And so the fanatics who love Apple will soon grow meh about Apple. And just like that, Apple will become Microsoft. Microsoft has already become IBM.

• albundy

not to worry, i am sure Lucy is dong the same to him. Must be really hot down there.

• blastdoor

My new iPhone 5 arrived today. So far, so awesome!

The Maps app looks nice, but is definitely lacking in data. No doubt it’s a step backwards, and will take some time for Apple to catch up with where Google Maps is. This is the first time that I as an Apple user have experienced any negative fallout from the conflict between Google and Apple.

I blame Google. Eric Schmidt turned Google’s strongest ally into an enemy and for what? Google makes diddly squat off of Android. All the profit for Android goes to Samsung, and maybe someday Amazon. Android is going to go down in flames of fragmentation and lawsuits. Windows Phone will rise to be the real challenger to iOS. And where will Google be then? Major f-up, Google.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]I blame Google[/quote<] Apple screws up, and it's Google's fault..? RDF is alive and well. I blame the lack of Steve Jobs. No way in hell would Steve have let such a half-baked product go out the door

• Duck

What about the piss poor phone design that could stop working when you hold it?

• Farting Bob

Thats a feature for when you want to hang up a phone call at random!

Yeah that’s Google’s fault too. 😉

• Silus

So it’s Google’s fault that Apple decided to remove the Google maps app as the default iOS map app ?

What’s next ? It’s the dead guy’s fault that he was in front of the guy with the gun that pulled the trigger ?

• tay

You realize that Google was unwilling to provide iOS with turn by turn data? Apple had little choice but to switch away from Google.

• Silus

Er no…they could just let Google provide their own app. It’s that simple. But as I mentioned in another reply to you, Apple lives by the “my way or the highway” creed and thus cannot accept that anyone tells them “no”. But then again, that’s the sort of douchebaggery that one expects from a company that had a douchebag as its CEO for so many years.

• tay

Google is providing YouTube. They will provide Google Maps eventually. Right now the negative publicity of iOS6 Maps is good for Google.

• OU812

Apple an Ally, All the profit for Android goes to Samsung, Android is going to go down in flames

Wow the iKool-Aid must be very strong today.

• 5150

You are inferior to me.

LOLOLOL battle of the Van Halen albums!

Also, 5150 is right. OU812 wasn’t so great.

• moose17145

I was about to say worst troll ever… but you did get some bites. So well played.

Unless you actually believe all that garbage you just said… in which case I simply feel bad for you.

• tay

Picked mine up today as well. Will have to get an app for Boston transit (MBTA) directions. I hope Google Maps for iphone comes out soon because I’d rather just use that.

• TheMonkeyKing

Apple make a mistake? That’s unpossible!

• OU812

So why did Apple remove Google Maps in the first place?

Greed?

Google Hate?

Other reason?

• Silus

A mix of all the above. First of all, Google never developed the app for iOS. Apple did! All Google did was provide the data. However, Google doesn’t allow access to some features by third-parties, unless Google itself develops the app of course. Apple, as always, refused. So Apple decided to build its own maps app, because:

1) Google is competition and Apple can’t have that. Apple also removed the youtube app
      2) They want to keep full control of the walled garden
      3) Money of course. With Google maps as the default, Apple can’t make money out of ads (something that Google does off its own apps), so now with their own maps app, ads can be another source of revenue.

• tay

Google was unwilling to share turn by turn data. End of story.

• NeelyCam

What did iPhone have before 5? Did 4S have turn-by-turn?

• LoneWolf15

It did not, unless you added the Mapquest app. A big reason why I didn’t buy one.

And unless you have a 4s or 5, you still don’t get TBT with Apple maps. You have to manually flip through the directions even on an iPhone 4. Totally obnoxious behavior on Apple’s part. Even cheap ARMv6-based Android phones get turn-by-turn navigation.

• BobbinThreadbare

But Apple never leaves anyone behind, and Android fragmentation, and uhh, I can’t think of any more trolling statements right now.

• Silus

No…it’s not the end of the story. Before the “end of the story” you need to add that Apple chose to remove it instead of letting Google provide its own app as, well…they are doing RIGHT NOW!
          Still, I’m sure Apple will reject that app…as they did in the past, but who cares…that’s their problem.

Google’s terms are known for quite a while and they did very well in not changing them to “please” Apple. “You want to use our data and API to its fullest, then let us do our own app for your OS” – since Apple lives by the “It’s my way or the highway” creed, they refused and now they have this horrible mess called “Apple maps”.
          Plus and for a while now, no one wants to give Apple access to technology that they will claim to own in the future (after they copied everything from the actual inventor or holder of that tech)…

• jss21382

To be fair, Apple was paying google for use of maps and youtube. I’m sure it would have been simpler for apple to stay with google if they would have allowed turn by turn navigation. It’s not so much their way or the high way. Allowing an outside party to design one of the most important parts of the phone,from just about any perspective seems silly, it gives an outside company, actually the competing software provider control over an essential part of your product. That said, I still wish google would have sold the turn by turn data to apple, instead of only allowing it in their app, it probably would have worked out better for all partys involved, not that either party is in any real need for the cash.

• Geistbar

It shouldn’t be a surprise that Google is working to fill the gap rapidly. Google still makes most of its money through its web services. I’d think Android is only important to them so much as it can help them encourage more internet use (indirectly boosting their web services), make that increased internet usage more integrated with their services, and give them a reliable platform to avoid being locked out of the smartphone market. The failings of Apple to provide a useful map service only helps Google to get more people using their own service.

• adisor19

No, the removal of the iPhone Google sourced map is a major loss of revenue for Google. Over 40% of iPhone users, and i`m being modest here, will flash their phone to iOS 6 and cut Google a LOT of revenue. Google might enjoy the bad publicity that Apple is currently getting but they certainly not enjoying the loss of revenue.

Adi

• shank15217

Google will release their own maps app for apple and get that revenue right back, in the meantime more people will realize how much cool-aid apple has been feeding them. I held the iphone 5 in my hands today.. it felt like a fashion accessory. A few hours of oohs and ahhs later people will realize what they just bought into.. a crippled maps app.. a limited mobile os.. vendor lock in with special pricing.. crazy mark ups for late buyers.. an extremely expensive electronic device for mass daily use. Live in your fantasy world apple fans

• Geistbar

Where did I say otherwise? Apple’s inability to make a sufficient replacement means that people are going to use Google Maps now when they wouldn’t have otherwise (even if, in the absolute original scenario, they were using Google Maps) — it has reduced Google’s losses. Google isn’t enjoying the bad publicity because of schadenfreude, they’re enjoying it because it gives them an opening to make more money than they previously expected.

• NeelyCam

I wonder how Deanjo feels about this.. or Adi

• ludi

Hard to say. According to Apple Maps, Denjo doesn’t exist, and Adi is currently stuck in a river.

• BIF

I almost spit my lunch out reading that!

Luckily it would have just landed “nowhere”.

I wonder if iOS maps could give me driving directions to Mars?

• Deanjo

Actually, in my neck of the woods, the iOS 6 maps are far more accurate and detailed then Google Maps by a large margin. The imagery that is on Google Maps is woefully outdated and very poor. Imagery for my farm for example accurately shows the water levels the way they are today and are far more detailed. There is no way that the imagery on Google maps is as current as they say it is in this case. The Google Map imagery has to be 2002 or prior with the water levels shown.

[url<]http://imageshack.us/a/img109/4141/ios6vsgmaps.png[/url<]

• entropy13

Google Maps is obviously more updated for over here. Because for one thing, it shows that the area is hilly. In the iOS maps it shows that the same area is a small valley.

• adisor19

The new Maps sucks big time. The lack of transit info and local Google search is a major blow to its functionality.

We need to keep making fun of Apple constantly so that they fix it asap.

Adi

• tim.hawkinson

I had no idea Chrome was available for iOS! Will check it out.

• sweatshopking

isnt it still safari?

• brucethemoose

Yup. Safari with a tweaked UI.

• Silus

Doesn’t matter. Apple could sell a turd with an Apple logo and their fanatics would say it smelled great!
    Yes, there are Apple users that do “think” before they buy, but the stereotypical Apple zealot represents a much, much larger group that doesn’t “think” about any purchase. Their thought process goes a little bit like this:

if (Apple_releases_new_product)
    then immediately_buy_without_even_knowing_if_it’s_any_good();
    else criticize_and_ignore();

Just yesterday I read a review that basically said this about the “new” screen:

“The thing with the larger screen is that you get this feeling of having space on the display that you didn’t have before. Clearly, that’s true because the screen is larger, but I mean even more space than the screen allows. Perhaps it’s a perceptual thing. If you told me that I would be able to see another few rows of emails or more of a Web page, I don’t know that I would see the importance, but when you look at the iPhone 5, it’s more than that. — Jim Dalrymple of The Loop”

[url<]http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+iPhone+5+Reviews+Are+In+The+Smartphone+Nearly+Perfected/article27724.htm[/url<] Sure, this is a so called "reporter" just lying so that he keeps getting iPhones to "review", but this is how the typical Apple zealot reacts. Anything that Apple does is viewed as the best ever, even though it might be sub-par when compared to what competitors offer for years now (talking specifically about the bigger screen, although there are many other examples)... And there's no way to reason with these people. They're as thick headed as anyone can get...pretty much like any religious fanatic, which is why they are referred as iSheep and a cult...

• NeelyCam

[quote<]this is how the typical Apple zealot reacts[/quote<] To be fair, this applies to zealots of all companies, including AMD, Intel, NVidia, Samsung.. Apple fans tend to take it up a notch, though

• Silus

Of course, zealots are zealots, but still I don’t see people in lines for hours, to get whatever processor AMD, NVIOIA or Intel just released…so Apple fans don’t take it just up a notch…they take it to a stratospheric level!

• Washer

Probably because those companies don’t sell many products in retail. There are certainly “virtual lines” on the release of a new graphics card or CPU. Not to mention there are regularly lines for new game releases or console releases.

I just don’t see anything exceptional about Apple fanboys other than the amount of them.

• Helmore

I’ve seen some crazy NVIDIA or ATI zealots though. Which makes me think that it’s not really that Apple fans take it up a notch, but that there are just a lot more of them and more fanatics also means that there will be some even more hard core ones.

• albundy

“the screen is larger, but I mean even more space than the screen allows”

either the guy is high on something, or cr@pple paid him to say that, cus nobody is that effin tarded!

• willmore

I’m assuming your spelling and grammer errors were for the purpose of satire.

I think your error was expecting something of substance from DailyTurd.

In other news, I see DailyTurd still sucks years after I stopped going there.

• sweatshopking

[url<]http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/136571-the-ios-6-disaster-apple-bit-off-way-more-than-it-could-chew[/url<] they seem to think it's not just the maps app.

• BIF

Hmmm, I wonder how the true believers feel? I mean the ones who stood in line all night.

Oh this stuff will all get fixed, for sure. But in the meantime, I think I hear my first gen Droid-X snickering.

Okay, now it’s laughing uncontrollably!

• Silus

You already answered your own question. By being “true believers” they don’t have an opinion. They just believe in what Apple told them and since Apple told them that everything they do is “magical” and “the best ever”, then this won’t be a problem for them.

They will accept it as is, without problems. And if that’s the way it works, then that’s what Apple decided was best for them and thus cannot be doubted.
        Of course that when the “Apple Maps” sends them off a cliff, some may have a lingering doubt about Apple’s motives (you know, one week saying they don’t do things because of money, so that a few weeks later they demand 3x damages in the Apple vs Samsung case), but it will fade away very quickly as the RDF increases its power. And the RDF will continue to be quite powerful as long as people continue to buy these products without thinking or at least waiting to know if it’s any good…

• BIF

This is the first order of change management:

Never remove the old application until AFTER the new app is known to be working. Always have a backout option, ESPECIALLY for OS upgrades.

I don’t use maps often on my iPad, but this is a Fail of the highest order, so I will wait a few more days to see what else is broken in iOS 6. Should be good for a few laughs!

• mattthemuppet

but will this latest Apple slip up really make any difference? The “you’re holding it wrong” farce didn’t make the blindest bit of difference to iPhone4 sales and I doubt people will hold off buying the iPhone5 because of this. It’s just something else for iPhone users to grumble about.

• bthylafh

“crisitunity”. I like this word.

• BIF

I noted that too!

• dpaus

I mis-read it as ‘christianity’ and wondered if they meant to crucify Apple over it.

• BabelHuber

Some examples of the whole disaster is here: [url<]http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/[/url<] :-)))))))))

• Duck

I lol’d [url<]http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/image/31970259679[/url<]

• NeelyCam

lol, that’s fantastic!

• dpaus

Nein, [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQk7Sn_cwk<]zat iss korrekt, mein herr[/url<]