Gameplay video shows off 17 minutes of Dead Space 3

This year’s holiday release schedule is so packed that I completely forgot there’s a new Dead Space game waiting in the wings. The third iteration of the franchise isn’t due out until February, but you can already get a taste of the action in a 17-minute gameplay video posted by the developers. Check it out:

The game’s Creative Director and Senior Audio Artist narrate the video, which appears to be from the first section of the single-player campaign. Looks like the Dead Space formula hasn’t changed much, although there seems to be a little more variation in the gameplay. You’re still going to spend most of your time walking around in the dark. At least there’s a flashlight at the end of your weapon, though.

I quite enjoyed the first Dead Space game, particularly because its limb-separating combat rewards precise marksmanship. Of course, I also loved Doom 3, so maybe I’m just a sucker for shooting monsters in the dark. Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the tip.

• kamikaziechameleon

Dead space 1 might have been a poor quality port but the game design was solid and with surround sound it was a complete blast.

• swaaye

Yup the game has some really great sound design and visuals. I played it mostly in my living room on the 5.1 surround setup.

• Arclight

The game looked amazingly good compared to the previous one, which gfx wise looked like a bland console game. I wonder if the demo was recorded on the console or the PC version though.

• ALiLPinkMonster

I saw some red B buttons and green A buttons so I would assume it was recorded from a 360.

• wierdo

This game is not scary, it’s more of a Gears of War clone at this point. EA really dropped the ball on this new genre, they’re not comfortable taking risks so they fell back to the old generic formula that crosses their usual business bullet points imho.

I thought DS1 was well-done for what EA was originally aiming for. DS2, while less scary, fixed the controls so that they’re a bit more polished and less frustrating. I wish they at least tried to build on one of those two formulas more closely.

• danny e.

meh. third person = meh.

• Guts_not_Dead

Aint we done with those console ports? This game would look much better with the Frostbite 2.0 engine. Imagine!

• Grigory

I loved the first one. 😀 Sadly they decided to make the second one less scary because they thought “the first one was too scary” and many people didn’t finish it. What a shame. If I want to play a horror game I don’t want them to hold back!

• Meadows

Also, worth noting that Dead Space barely satisfied the base criteria for being a “horror game” and Dead Space 2 outright failed spectacularly, being instead a bizarre action game.

I expect Dead Space 3 to follow the same downwards slope. I guess I have far too high hopes because I was fooled by the first game’s hype back then, and never expected a straight action game to begin with.

• swaaye

They are rather brain-dead games. The sequel is like a more-and-bigger version of the predictable action of the original, which isn’t so great, but I especially wish they had kept the mute protagonist for this series.

• Meadows

Outstanding butt-chin on the guy.

• sweatshopking

people liked these enough to make 3?
    if i was isaac, i’d just kill myself.

• TaBoVilla

you kidding amirite? deadspace is just awesome

• sweatshopking

idk, i didn’t find them scary, and the pc port was horrible. i didn’t bother finishing either.

• PrincipalSkinner

PC port was just fine if it was a port at all. Try playing Dark Souls to get a clue what a horrible port is.
          And Dead Space rulez.

• sweatshopking

our dear scott disagrees: [url<]https://techreport.com/blog/16061/some-insight-into-dead-space-control-problems[/url<] my controls were similar to scotts, so i never bothered to play past the first 3 hours.

• swaaye

You just had to turn off the game’s vsync. If you still want vsync, force it in the video card control panel or use d3doverrider.

• sweatshopking

what’s your point? yes it was broken, but you could fix it? and that vsync issue was not easily resolved, as scott discussed. the fact that you’re saying that makes me think you didn’t read the link.

• swaaye

It’s just that after I disabled the in-game vsync, the game ran 60fps and the controls were fine and I was happy. Sure, it’s stupid that the developers didn’t know enough to make this work right in the first place. And I agree that the game isn’t that great in general and it took me a few years to work all the way through it. 😉

• BobbinThreadbare

The whole “your mother doesn’t want you to play this game” marketing campaign made sure I never played the 2nd one. Won’t play this either because of that.