AMD expands lineup of low-voltage Trinity notebook APUs

AMD has added two new models to its lineup of low-voltage notebook APUs. The most intriguing of these Trinity-based processors may be the A8-4555M. This quad-core part has a 1.6GHz base clock speed and a 2.4GHz Turbo peak, both down 400MHz from the existing A10-4655M. The integrated Radeon is clocked a bit slower, as well, but the payoff is a lower 19W TDP. The A10 has a 25W thermal envelope, making it less suitable for slim systems.

There’s also a fresh option in the A4 family. The A4-4355M serves up dual cores clocked at 1.9/2.4GHz, a 200MHz drop from the A4-4455M. AMD hasn’t lowered the GPU speed for this chip, but the onboard Radeon’s ALU count has been cut from 256 to 192. The reductions haven’t changed the TDP, which remains at 17W.

Systems based on AMD’s low-voltage Trinity APUs have been relatively scarce, but the newcomers should be more affordable for notebook makers. Perhaps we’ll see Trinity make its way into more thin-and-light systems as a result. Then again, AMD updated its product page with little fanfare, suggesting there are no new design wins to tout. Thanks to CPU-World for the heads up.

• dashbarron

Was this a preview?

I love you guys 🙂

• Unknown-Error

No its just news.

• BaronMatrix

Why do people say “Systems based on AMD’s low-voltage Trinity APUs have been relatively scarce”

[url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131306[/url<] [url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158633[/url<] And a few more,but I guess people have Intel's market flooding strategy on the brain. But BaronMatrix did say Windows 8 would mark the end of Intel's dominance... In Anand's Trinity preview they say that even Qualcomm can beat Intel's mid range graphics, much less what the leading DX11 GPU company will do... I really want to see their MILKSHAKE drank... This is for OLPC...

• NeelyCam

When S|A shut down article commentary, I was wondering how long it’d take for you to start migrating to newer trolling grounds..

I guess I got my answer. Welcome! This is the Tech Report. AMD RDF is disabled here.

• anotherengineer

Trolling RDF is disabled also though, and thoroughly practiced by a few people around these parts 😉

• MadManOriginal

Out of 1,786 notebooks on Newegg, 128 use AMD CPUs of any type. 51 of that 128 are A series APUs. Also, the vast majority are 15″+…want a resolution above 1366×768? The only choice is a 17″ laptop. So yes, they exist, but the number is very small and the variety and options aren’t nearly as widespread an Intel laptops.

• chuckula

Ahh BaronMatrix. I’ve seen you here trolling occasionally. Lemme guess: you login to TR every day and automatically down-vote every post that doesn’t keel over backwards to spew propaganda for AMD right?

As to your “post” you’ll note that neither one of the notebooks you list has a single customer review on Newegg.. I’m sure they are just flying off the shelves.

Edit: Hey BaronMatrix, instead of being a toadie for your AMD masters, why don’t you point out a real review of these supposedly miraculous AMD notebooks? The only ones I’ve found said that the main advantage to these notebooks is that they are cheap, but that you get what you pay for… can you please show us how they walk on water?

• ronch

Another story of speed-binning to sell all the chips you can at the highest possible prices for each one.

• halbhh2

Sound capitalistic strategy. Perhaps AMD is learning some more from the market leader. It’s about time.

• ronch

Well, everyone does it, I guess, to some degree. Waste not, want not. Besides, not everybody cares about the clock speed or number of shaders; the fact is, many non-enthusiast folks just care about the user experience or how nice the chassis and monitor look.

• MadManOriginal

Notebooks without discrete graphics is where Llano and now Trinity really belong – they are too jack of all trades but master of none for the desktop. I do wish more manufacturers put more effort into notebooks with these processors. 17W-25W TDP for decent CPU performance and good integrated graphics is a solid combination.

• brucethemoose

My ideal laptop: 14″ with a thin bezel, 1600×900, decent speakers, A8 llano or A10 trinity, 128gb SSD, good battery with optional upgrades, an decently thin. By thin, I mean somewhere between, say, an HP Spectre and dm4.

The U2442n is the closest I’ve seen, but it’s pretty expensive.

• dpaus

Except for the CPU, you’re describing my Dell XPS 14z, which I’ve been pretty happy with so far (2 months)

• ET3D

I’ll settle for something like my Thinkpad x120e, but with low power Trinity instead of Brazos and a somewhat higher resolution display. The E-350 is just not enough for many things, where Trinity would be good for pretty much all my needs.

• UberGerbil

And you aren’t alone in that assessment, which is presumably why Lenovo will be offering the x131e in both Intel and AMD flavors.

• sschaem

Do people buy i3 processor to build desktop systems? if so, Trinity is shaping to be as fast, CPU wise and massively better at GPU task.

The winzip benchmark I seen show trinity matching an i7-2600k thanks to OpenCL.

If more of this happen in the next 2 years, Trinity will become more valuable for desktop tasks.
      And does IE10 tax more the CPU of the GPU ?

If your plan is to buy a discreet GPU, Trinity doesn’t seem like a good idea.
      But if I where to build system for offices or casual users,
      I think Trinity as more longer potential then i3.
      And AMD plan to support officially FM2 past 2014. 28nm and 14nm Trinity might not be a bad upgrade prospect..

High MHz != “fast”

Gonna have to wait for October 2, and I would have known that with or without editorialization. 😉

• shank15217

Why wouldn’t they be good for slim desktops and all-in-one type systems? I’m sick of seeing all in one systems with anemic graphics and a gigantic monitor.. not to mention HTPCs and gaming boxes. These processors can run most modern (console ports) games at low/medium settings without a sweat.

• MadManOriginal

For all in ones that might use notebook graphics otherwise, sure.

As for running games…yes they can, [i<]at low resolution[/i<]. That's one thing everyone seems to miss when these are discussed. It's great that they can match lower-end discrete graphics at 1366x768 but how many desktop systems use that resolution?