Acer unveils pricey 11.6” Win8 tablet

Earlier this morning, Acer took the wraps off the Iconia W700, an Intel-powered Windows 8 tablet with a whopper of a price tag: $799.99 for the base model and up to $999.99 for the flagship variant. That’s quite a bit more expensive than the iPad and competing devices, but hardware-wise, the Iconia W700 seems to have more in common with ultrabooks than anything.

It’s powered by Intel’s latest Core i3 and i5 processors—of the Ivy Bridge variety, of course—and it features either 64GB or 128GB of solid-state storage. The speedy x86 CPUs mean the Iconia W700 will run Windows 8, not Windows RT. Acer has also outfitted the device with a fairly large 11.6" display, whose IPS panel has a crisp 1920×1080 resolution. At "half an inch" thick and 2.3 lbs, the Iconia W700 is about as slim and light as you can expect an upscale ultrabook to be.

This tablet-ified ultrabook is going to ship with a "multipurpose cradle" (see above) that can be adjusted to hold the system in landscape mode at 20 or 70 degrees. The cradle can also be positioned in portrait mode. Throw in a Bluetooth keyboard and maybe a wireless mouse, and the Iconia W700 essentially turns into a full-fledged PC. That’s probably going to come in handy, especially if folks need to venture outside the Metro tiles to run some productivity apps.

Acer plans to release the Iconia W700 on October 26, the day Windows 8 comes out.

• ronch

I’m not ok with two things.

1. Price.
    2. The dock. It’s looks so dorky.

• link626

who’s the target market for this tablet?
    cuz this is not going to persuade anyone to buy it over an ipad, no matter how powerful it is.

core i5 ultrabooks are selling for $600 at Staples, which usually doesn’t have the lowest prices.

is this touchscreen and tablet form factor worth that much more money? $800 for a core i3 tablet..

• Grigory

As a heterosexual male I could never bring myself to buy an apple product. This is right up my alley!

• jpostel

Does your boyfriend know that?

But seriously, I have to say the price point is way cheaper than comparable existing Windows touchscreen devices.

• mcnabney

Uhm, just what applications would you want to run on a 11.6″ display?

Seriously, when this thing is docked with a mouse/kb the display is going to be a LONG way from your eyes. The HDMI connection to a larger monitor is almost required for productivity work. Would like to see how it tests out on performance – Photoshop/Gimp, video editing, Excel calculations (throw a few thousand array calculations at it). For ultrabook money, it better perform like one.

• ludi

An 11.6″ screen is plenty. Look up “Acer Timeline 1810TZ.” Or search it in the TR forums — several of us own them including, IIRC, TR’s own Dissonance. And then note that you cannot find them for sale on eBay or anywhere else — we who have them, will not sell them at any price.

• Voldenuit

Any word if it has an active digitizer/stylus support?

A Thinkpad X230T is ~3.2lbs and the Clover Trail Thinkpad Tablet 2 is going to be 1.6 lbs, so 2.3 lbs for the Acer straddles the gap nicely. If it has an active digitizer, I’d be very interested, otherwise, I’ll stick with my plan to get the Thinkpad Tablet 2 for the wife.

• ModernPrimitive

At first thought I had the same reaction as some others. “$800???”.. but then reality sunk in. Full blown OS and only 100 more than the 64GB ipad and comes with the dock etc.

I agree it’s porky…. 1.8 lbs and less at least would be great but I could see using one of these on occasion. Not enough to justifiy one as I have a nice laptop but…. I’m not the majority obviously.

• cynan

Seems great for someone that can afford to drop $1K on a kitchen/bathroom/car computer. Otherwise, I don’t know who’d get this over a laptop.

Tablets just haven’t proven themselves as being viable for anything other than media consumption and casual gaming. And for that, you might as well get one of the cheaper ARM powered options. Windows 8 has its work cut out if it’s going to convince the populace otherwise.

• burntham77

A person who wants a tablet while on the go for consuming media and a laptop for home when they want to be productive.

• ludi

mish-posht

• trackerben

At 2.3lbs it is compromised as an everyday tablet, it’s simply too weighty. No mention of battery life – never a good sign. Acer should have just released it as an ultra-ultrabook and it could have redefined its segment.

• Wirko

It may be too heavy (at least for those who will be holding it in the air for hours) but, on the other hand, half an inch is at least thick enough for holding it comfortably.

• glacius555

Well, seems like we have an answer to the question of pricing regarding Microsoft’s Surface. I bet an ice-cream it will cost the same!

• drfish

I’ve got a W500 we bought as something of a “toy” for work. Its pretty slow, the battery life isn’t great, its kinda clunky looking, the keyboard dock is a mess, and it gets pretty hot. All that said I think the W700 looks pretty sweet and is certainly going to be in the running with other Win8 tablets for being rolled out to our sales staff (but my gut keeps saying, “Surface, Surface, Surface!”).

• Deanjo

Hmmm, I wonder if this device is secureboot Windows locked down. If it is, not interested.

• cygnus1

I thought that was only required on the ARM/WinRT tablets?

• sweatshopking

it is. and all that anyone has to do to install another OS is use one that’s paid the small fee to the licensing company (not microsoft) so that the OS can be verified. i’m not saying I like secureboot (i think it might make some sense for general consumers, not a huge fan myself) it’s hardly the end of the world it’s made out to be.

• Ricardo Dawkins

Surface Pro is coming in 2013. (Pending the end of this world)

• Sahrin

>My question though, why get this over the x86 surface? you KNOW the customer service is going to suck compared to MS

Under normal circumstances I agree, but x86 surface doesn’t come until 2013 and that’s a real consideration for some (myself included). I’m actually really disappointed that only SurfaceRT is coming in October.

• Deanjo

Yes, it is mandatory for the RT versions but it still does not exclude the same lock down of the full blown versions as that is left up to the discretion of the hardware manufacturer and still can be locked down.

• WillBach

Secure Boot is required for Windows 8 logo certification, but it won’t stop you from installing Linux. Ubuntu, Red Hat, and Suse have all come forward with their plans to support Secure Boot on consumer devices, even those without extra keys.
      I should admit I’m not 100% familiar with Red Hat and Suse’s plans, but Ubuntu’s is outlined [url=http://blog.canonical.com/2012/06/22/an-update-on-ubuntu-and-secure-boot/<]here[/url<]

• Deanjo

This is still a problem as it eliminates anyone who may want to spin their own distro or do a LFS setup or another non mainstream OS unless they pay for the qualification of the key. The only way of getting rid of that requirement is for the EFI to allow secureboot being disabled.

• WillBach

I think they’d still be able to use Ubuntu’s bootloader. I won’t deny that Microsoft will try to abuse it, I just don’t think it’s the big obstacle some people seem to think it is. Certainly not the most difficult part of rolling your own Linux distro πŸ˜‰

• Sahrin

Secureboot-enforced OS lock-in (which is what I assume you are referring to because otherwise there’s no problem) is banned by the terms of MS’s DoJ settlement for Windows on x86. Much of that agreement has expired, but it’s fair to say that anything like that kind of lock-in would immediately re-open anti-trust complaints against MS.

• Deanjo

I wouldn’t say that is the case as they are able to do it with WinRT. I wouldn’t expect the rules to change because of arch or version of windows.

• Sahrin

>I wouldn’t say that is the case as they are able to do it with WinRT.

…I explicitly referred to x86.

• Deanjo

• Sahrin

>I know you did, but the reasoning that it would be unacceptable for one but OK for another just isn’t there.

Microsoft’s monopoly is tied to x86. They have never had a monopoly in ARM devices – in fact, they are basically irrelevant in the ARM market. It’s illegal for them to use Windows to gain an advantage in ARM, but entering ARM they can do whatever they want because they haven’t done anything wrong with respect to ARM.

• Vasilyfav

Tablet and $999.99 should not be used in the same sentence. Ever. Even if it has a keyboard.

• Hattig

It’s an ultrabook with detachable display, and touch controls (no trackpad, no nub, no mouse).

• willmore

That’s even worse.

• moog

Because it’s W8, feel free to add a mouse.

• willmore

It just by an ultrabook?

• moog

Ok, more laptops will have touch screens by default in the future.

• shank15217

The ipad 64GB model is 800+ so why is this such a big deal? This tablet is over 10x as fast thanks to ivy-bridge

• gamoniac

At 2.3lb, even a 1-foot drop could cause some serious problem. Other than that, I think this looks pretty good! and let’s hope that heat is not an issue like the Android Iconia line.

• Shambles

Weight has very little to do with how durable something is. My old 6+ lbs. laptop was able to take far more abuse than any smartphone or tablet on the market today.

• dpaus

[quote<]At 2.3lb, even a 1-foot drop could cause some serious problem[/quote<] By that logic, the 5-foot drop-test that Panasonic performs on their 8-lb ToughBooks should cause irreparable damage to the Earth's crust - and yet the ToughBook survives it just fine.

• entropy13

[quote<]By that logic, the 5-foot drop-test that Panasonic performs on their 8-lb ToughBooks should cause irreparable damage to the Earth's crust - and yet the ToughBook survives it just fine.[/quote<] You didn't say if the Earth's crust survived or not.

• dpaus

Panasonic’s testing lab is in California. You don’t live there, do you?

• gamoniac

Hence the name “ToughBook”, right? But this is a tablet. It is a simple fact that heavier devices hit the floor harder. I certainly hope that the Iconia is tough, too, but I think it is a legitmate concern, especially since tablets are handled differently from laptop, which usually sits on table or laps.

• dpaus

You’re right, of course. I saw something recently about HP’s new business-class tablet being semi-ruggedized, I hope this one is too.

• Shambles

That’s a lot cheaper than the title of the article lead me to believe. I was expecting it to start at >$1000. A model with 64GB of storage at $800 lines it up pretty close to the iPad that can’t function as a fully capable desktop operating system.

• Hattig

For the price this actually looks competitive with the iPad. Sure, it costs more, but it does include more out of the box and doesn’t skimp on the screen resolution, RAM, CPU or storage.

Of course, battery life and actual real-world performance are still to be determined, especially when paired with Windows 8.

• raddude9

Sure, it might be competitive with the iPad. But at $800 is it competitive with a standard 15″ laptop and much lighter Google Nexus 7 combo…

At 11.6″ and 2.3lbs it’s too big and heavy to be used as a tablet for any non-gym going techie (i.e. most of them), so why isn’t it an ultrabook?

I just don’t get it!

• moog

My old T61p with 2 GB RAM is snappy with W8. It used to be painful.

• codedivine

Canadian sources reporting it will start at $750 in Canada with a Core i3 processor, 64GB SSD, 1080p screen, included bluetooth keyboard. Thats not bad!
    [url<]http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/04/acer-to-launch-its-799-w700-tablet-october-2/[/url<] However I wonder what the specs are for the unspecified "i3 processor".

• solo_clipper

Who would have thought Acer would be the one to step up and be the Apple killer? Kidding aside I was not excited about the upcoming Win8 tab’s but this is starting to look interesting. Pricey? Only $100 more than the Ipad and comes with dock with usb3 ports and Bluetooth keyboard . Not only that, the hardware specs and os make the Ipad look like a kiddy toy. Will be waiting reviews on these tab’s.

• link626

but millions of people are perfectly happy with a kiddy toy.
      I’m no apple fanboy, but this is no apple killer. It won’t even sell a small fraction of what the ipad sells.

If you were to give 10 million people a choice between a $700 ipad and a $700 Acer win8 tablet, 9.8 million of those would choose the ipad, even after telling them the acer is a bajillion times faster.
      It’s the sad reality

• A_Pickle

I beg to differ. If they legitimately [i<]knew[/i<] the differences, there would be no reason to pick the iPad. The Acer would trash it in every way -- gaming, productivity... the only thing the iPad does better is portability. It's thinner and lighter, but not by much.

• jpostel

I understand what you are saying, but you are assuming that people care about [i<]knowing the difference[/i<], which they don't. That said, this thing looks wicked! I would seriously look at getting one of these instead of a laptop.

• Ricardo Dawkins

I will start by saying this: Acer iconia can play Crysis. Can that iTablet play anything remotely like that?

“That’s quite a bit more expensive than the iPad and competing devices”
    The funny thing that TR can run the full extent of productivity and gaming test that will run on the Trinity review while the iPad can’t do nothing besides playing Angry Bird Space.

• Shambles

[quote<]I wonder what will be the retort when Acer unveils the features and their lower price for the Iconia with Clover Trail.[/quote<] 11.6" is too big. 10" is just perfect.

• Ricardo Dawkins

LOL. is it the same type of retort when they said you will need to cut your fingers for using 7″ tablets ? XD

• solo_clipper

I had to laugh at one forum comment I read, β€œ I could plug my Ipad into this computer, fire up Itunes and load my media”. Who’s your daddy? πŸ™‚

• MadManOriginal

At $799 the price is $100 more than the 64GB iPad 3, street price will undoubtedly be lower.

• dpaus

Yeah, and considering the guts of this vs an iPad and the inclusion of what looks like a pretty cool cradle, I don’t understand the ‘whopper of a price tag’ comment either….

Tell me that the cradle includes even a single USB port (for connecting a keyboard, mouse and printer via hub), and that alone is worth double the price difference.

Tell me that the cradle has a USB 3.0 port – meaning I can attach something like the Targus laptop dock, which will drive two external monitors and all the peripherals above – and you’ve got one hell of a value proposition.

• rootheday3

Cradle includes 3 USB ports; somewhere I was reading seemed to indicate that the keyboard was included for that price… If so, the iPad price comparison needs to include buying a keyboard for the iPad too… That comes pretty close to price parity.

• Ricardo Dawkins

[url<]http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/04/acer-iconia-w700-windows-8-pricing[/url<] A Bluetooth keyboard, which comes already already paired with the tablet, is included in the box, along with an HDMI-to-VGA dongle.

• Beelzebubba9

Yeah, but this is a real Ivy Bridge based tablet with a 1080p IPS display, so that price makes more sense. I’m not sure the world is clamoring for a touchscreen ultrabook with an ultrabook price, weight and battery life, but that remains to be seen.

• dpaus

Make it a speedy i5 with 8 GBytes of RAM and include that USB 3.0 port (see post above), and I’d replace my brand-new Dell XPS 14 ultrabook in a heartbeat.

EDIT: as long as it comes with ‘downgrade rights’ to Windows 7, of course…

• MadManOriginal

I know…if this was a Win8 ARM tablet or even an Atom tablet it would be overpriced, but for full Win8 with notebook CPUs it’s not bad. I think that’s the error the press is making regarding Win8 tablets – they see ‘touchscreen tablet’ and automatically make comparison to the iPad regardless of the details. I expect that kind of laziness and glossing over of details from the mainstream press, I’d hope for better from TR πŸ™‚

• ludi

And you GOT better:

[quote<]Earlier this morning, Acer took the wraps off the Iconia W700, an Intel-powered Windows 8 tablet with a whopper of a price tag: $799.99 for the base model and up to $999.99 for the flagship variant. [b<]That's quite a bit more expensive than the iPad and competing devices, [u<]but hardware-wise, the Iconia W700 seems to have more in common with ultrabooks than anything.[/u<][/b<][/quote<]

• sweatshopking

I think he’s wondering why it is being compared at all, as its a totally different product.

• ludi

The iPad is the current market leader in this segment. Comparisons are inevitable; IMO TR’s was quite fair: “YES, it costs more than superficially equivalent product X, BUT its capabilities and features are actually more comparable to…”

• sweatshopking

i understand that, but it’s a different product. toyota sells more camry’s than MB does A class, but they’re not the same. winRT is the ipad competitor, not this.