Cherry MX brown switches line Logitech’s new G710+ keyboard

Logitech has rolled out a new addition to its gaming keyboard lineup. The G710+ combines Cherry MX brown key switches with special damping rings designed to cut out the clickety clack commonly associated with mechanical keyboards. The MX brown switches are characterized by a tactile bump at their actuation point, which takes a relatively light 45 grams of force to reach.

Like most Logitech gaming keyboards, the G710+ is loaded with extra features. There are dual independent backlighting zones: one that covers the WASD and directional triangles and another for the rest of the keyboard. Users can choose between four different brightness levels for each zone or turn the backlighting off completely.

Media controls line the top of the keyboard, and six macro keys hang out on the left side. Thanks to a trio of profiles, the G710+ can store up to 18 programmable key sequences. It can also handle 26 simultaneous key presses, which should be more than enough for folks typing with only ten fingers—and even those who add their toes.

A built-in USB port gives the G710+ a handy place to plug in a thumb drive, but transfer rates will be limited to 2.0 speeds. That’s a shame, because the USB port relies on a pass-through cable that presumably could have been beefed up to support USB 3.0.

Logitech is charging $150 for the G710+, which will be available in North America this month. European customers will have to wait until December.

• Sam125

This with Cherry MX reds and without the orange plastic please.

Oh and also, make it cheaper.

• Waco

My CM Storm Trigger with o-rings is by far the best mechanical I’ve used to date. I’d imagine any MX Brown keyboard with o-rings that’s solidly built will be similar though.

• Kevsteele

Love my Storm Trigger, but adding o-rings would definitely help with the clackiness (my wife is about ready to kill me with my keyboard!)

Where’d you get them?

• anotherengineer

Any industrial supply store, or here.

[url<]http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html[/url<]

• Bensam123

And Corsair STILL has the most stylish keyboard on the market. Although the nice finish on this keyboard is a step up from normal black, it’s no where near raised keys over a aluminum blue lit chasis. Of course this is disregarding that orange blemish on the left side… WTF is that? I guess if that’s supposed to be artistic flare in the form of a scar, I could see that. Honestly the overall theme reminds me a lot of BF3, at least that’s the vibe I’m getting from it.

Only reason I would purchase this over a Corsair is for the browns, but you could simply get a Rosewell for $90 with browns.

In other news, the price of mechanicals continues to climb… and still USB 2.

• just brew it!

[quote<]In other news, the price of mechanicals continues to climb... and still USB 2.[/quote<] There have always been expensive mechanicals on the market, they're just a little more in the news these days than they used to be since more people are paying attention to them. The Rosewills are still relatively affordable compared to most other Cherry-based keyboards. Not sure why you think a USB3 port is a big deal. When it comes to plugging in external hard drives and such, I think I'd rather have a front USB port on the computer case anyway.

• Bensam123

Because USB 3 is better then 2 and it doesn’t have it. Don’t rationalize them cutting corners on a premium product.

Niche is different then mainstream. I’m sure you’ve heard of the $10,000 cable on Amazon before. The difference being that price point is becoming mainstream for keyboards.

• just brew it!

But a USB 3 hub in the keyboard increases the cost even further, while doing nothing to improve its utility [i<]as a keyboard[/i<]. A keyboard should do exactly one thing, and do it well: Provide the best possible keyboard experience. This is like getting annoyed at your monitor because it doesn't have an eSATA port. Edit: OK, the original article notes that it could've had a USB 3 pass-through cable. But given that most motherboards have a limited number of USB 3 ports to begin with, taking up one of them to route to a keyboard pass-through seems... non-optimal.

• Bensam123

Dude, you’re talking about a $150 keyboard. The cost is inflated because mechanical is a fad right now, not because USB 3 costs an arm and a leg. If cheap thumb drives have USB 3, a keyboard could have it too.

Comparing this to a monitor with esata is a terrible comparison and you know it.

I’m pretty sure USB 3 is backwards compatible with USB 2 and why are you fighting so hard to stagnate things? Moving forwards is GOOD. If you’re worried about the .10c more it costs them to produce this thing with USB 3, there wont be a cost when everything moves to USB 3.

That’s progression. Always aim for the future when dealing with technology. It boggles my mind how we have so many luddites on a tech website. I suppose it’s not just this website… the US itself is infested with ‘good enough’.

• just brew it!

Adding functionality that isn’t related to the primary purpose of a device is not necessarily “progress”. That’s all I’m trying to say.

• Bensam123

I’m pretty sure the device uses USB… Using a better form of USB is not the same thing as adding a DVI interface to this device as you’re implying. That is exactly the same example you used, only I reversed the device it was attached to.

A good comparison would’ve been saying that I’m trying to enforce the latest HDMI standard on monitors, where they don’t need it because their resolution isn’t high enough to take advantage of it.

• bhtooefr

Except, typically, what you plug into a USB passthrough on a keyboard is a mouse, which doesn’t need USB 3.0.

USB 3.0 adds quite a bit of expense to what’s already a niche market product with low economies of scale. (Not saying that Logitech isn’t making money on it, they’re probably making a lot, but…)

• Sam125

[quote<] Of course this is disregarding that orange blemish on the left side...[/quote<] I think that's Logitech's way of saying, "It's not gaming if it's not gaudy!" :p

• Bensam123

Really a shame, the rest of the keyboard is very sleek (at least from this angle). Like nothing stands out too much, it has nice curves and button locations, a little bit of gloss in certain spots… Then there is a giant zit on the left side keys.

• Malphas

Why would you buy an embarrassing looking POS like this instead of a tasteful looking Filco anyway? Seriously, when I see new PC cases, keyboards, mice etc. I despair. Everyone looks horrendous, do PC enthusiasts as a whole just have no taste whatsoever, or is this the manufacturers fault for assuming we’re all nerdy fourteen year old boys?

• jonbanh

yes, we’re not all gaming into our mid-30s like you are. i’m sure you’re a cod champ against kids!

• Arclight

I mean check [url=http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rtab<]this[/url<] out.....it's more than i could ever want....

• StuG

Yes. I would die without my numberpad. X.X

• Arclight

Just curious, what kind of work or for what applications do you use it that the numbers above the letters wouldn’t cut it?

• emorgoch

No number pad would be a significant productivity loss for me, akin to losing my secondary display. My hand pretty much goes automatically to the number pad for anything longer than 3 digits. I’m a systems admin and programmer in a small IT department. Some of the things I regularly use my number pad for:
          – IP addresses
          – Calulations, such as file sizes
          – Telephone numbers
          – Form field data entry

Would probably be a curious exercise figuring out how often I go to my keypad. As a side note, one of the things that I love about my Dell E6520 is that it’s a 15.4″ form factor, but has a keypad integrated into the keyboard.

• just brew it!

I also use the num pad extensively for global hotkeys (e.g. with Ctrl-Alt, WinKey, etc. modifiers).

• AlvinTheNerd

Once you learn how to use the numpad, you can enter numbers faster than with the top keys.

And the one handness allows you to use your other hand to flip pages as you are entering data. I know some people who mouse with their left hand and enter numbers with their right.

In my application, maintenance crew goes into the plant to make lots of measurements and writes them down and then I have to enter all the numbers into a program. Eventually tablets might replace this, but we would have to find the right one first. Mainly, one that can be used by big guys with thick fingers, can survive abuse in an industrial location, and has less EMI than current tablets (current ones with wifi/3g off don’t pass)

• Chandalen

I mainly use it for things such as ° or ± and the like. But being a Materials Engineer I used them constantly all day. Also I do many of the things that others above have listed.

• willyolio

yes. i would rather lose the top row of numbers on my keyboard than my numberpad.

• ptsant

[quote<]Am i the only one that finds the numpad the most undesirable thing on keyboards? I could do without it even for my work keyboard.[/quote<] I am left-handed and I use the numpad as a substitute for the WASD group and friends. It is far more practical than moving my right hand to the far left of the keyboard. The arrow keys don't have enough neighbours. I could probably get away with the IJKL group, but the position of the hand is much more natural on the numpad.

• superjawes

Ditto to what others have said.

The only thing I could wish for beyond a simple num pad would be a removable option to switch sides.

• Decelerate

I have the Leopold and am using it right now (Cherry Brown), and actually miss the numpad…

To each their own.

• Bensam123

Anyone who does any sort of number or data entry would be at a significant disadvantage. Even using simple calc in windows its ridiculously faster using numpad and all it requires is you moving your hand off the mouse.

• Arclight

Agreed, but , aren’t the people that direly need it a minority? Why are the overwhelming majority of keyboards incorporating a numpad just to satisfy a minority?

I’d be ok with it if at least all major companies offered an option for people that don’t like/need the numpad but do need a standard cylindrical keytop and standard key travel.

• just brew it!

Well, when you put it that way… no. Hardly anyone “direly needs” it. But a lot of people (likely even a majority) prefer it, otherwise most keyboards wouldn’t still have it. What’s your evidence that only a minority of people want it?

• Arclight

[quote<]What's your evidence that only a minority of people want it?[/quote<] Largly anecdotal from friends, familly and work.

• Bensam123

Hmmm… I suppose because it’s always been attached to the keyboard. Honestly it doesn’t get in that much of the way. If you put a mouse any closer to the keyboard (based on where your left hand sits on asdf) it gets uncomfortable. Unless you’re just trying to eliminate keys for the sake of eliminating keys. Who uses the arrow keys? The six cluster is barely used too. Fkeys are very much rarely used, with the exception of the escape key, which could then replace the tilda which almost no one uses.

I personally prefer more options over wanting more options when I no longer have them.

• Arclight

Except that all the keys located on the numpad are duplicates. So if it’s taken out the “functionality” still remains. It’s not the same as removing the arrow keys or the function keys.

• RtFusion

I wonder how quiet these things are compared to standard Cherry MX Browns? Would love to see a TR review on this.

• Airmantharp

This one’s worth waiting to go on sale. Now, what color are the backlights? How is this hard (I see that Logitech doesn’t mention this themselves…)

• Kevsteele

The backlighting is white: Logitech released a video showing the keyboard, including the backlighting levels: [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abgjjqvn0UU[/url<]

• UberGerbil

The bright orange outlining around the column of keys on the left is… odd. When I first saw that I thought it was a photo enhancement intended to draw attention to them for discussion purposes, and not actually a “feature” of the keyboard. I guess it certainly draws attention to them, and given they are the programmable “G” keys I can understand the motivation, but that’s [i<]marketing[/i<]; I'm not sure I see a need to continuously draw attention to them in day-to-day use.

• StuG

If it wasn’t for this, I could consider this as a real option for a keyboard.

• Shambles

Wow a mechanical keyboard with media keys. They’ve finally caught up to keyboards from 10 years ago.

• bhtooefr

The metal spring keyboard market has historically not wanted media keys, is the thing. A significant portion of the market hadn’t even wanted Windows keys, and due to the small size of the market, and the economies of scale involved with manufacturing… 101 and 104-key (plus the 102/105-key ISO layouts) were most of the market.

Now that the metal spring keyboard market is expanding into the gamer market, you’re seeing more variation.

• just brew it!

I’ve never really understood all the Windows Key hate. Even as a Linux user, I find it quite useful. In fact, it is arguably even [i<]more[/i<] useful in Linux - since Linux desktop environments historically haven't used it for anything specific, it is a great key to use as a global hotkey modifier.

• bhtooefr

A lot of the hate falls into one of two camps:

1. Windows gamers, that switched to Win95, and found that they mashed Windows instead of Ctrl or Alt when playing a keyboard-based FPS, which caused them to drop out of the game to the desktop, lag out, die, and possibly have the game crash. Most of this anti-WinKey sentiment is gone nowadays, because modern games don’t actually USE Ctrl or Alt for much (partially because of this).

2. Windows haters, that detest the presence of a Windows logo on their keyboards. They don’t actually hate the key, they just hate that it has a Windows logo. Usually this translates to Linux fanboys, though, and NOT Mac users – the Mac works far better with a keyboard with a Windows key and a small amount of remapping, than a keyboard without one, if you’re using 101/104-key Wintel keyboards.

• kvndoom

3. Windows 8 users, who push it and ask, “WTF, where’s the Start Menu?”

(just being a smartass…)

• KorruptioN

For those who love keyboard shortcuts, the Windows key is important. Any keyboard that deviates from the standard Windows-key availability and/or placement is automatically off my list.

Windows+R
          Windows+L
          Windows+E
          Windows+D
          … just to name a few.

• MadManOriginal

There have been others before this.

• just brew it!

This keyboard is not something I would buy for myself, but it is nice to see a mainstream vendor producing a Cherry mechanical. They wouldn’t have done this without evaluating the market first, so it seems like a pretty good indication that a lot of people are starting to realize there’s more to keyboards than mushy rubber dome mechanisms.

• Decelerate

At 150$ they’re in direct competition with Filco, who’s had quite a head start in reputation-building…

It will sell, but will it meet [sales for Logitech]/[added value for the enthusiasts] expectations?

• bhtooefr

Then again, Filco doesn’t exactly have a US presence any more – I believe their only distributor that ships to the US is actually their [b<]UK[/b<] distributor. Meanwhile, this is Logitech, they have a very strong distribution chain. I'd rather have the Filco (for one, it'll almost certainly be built better), but this thing has enough [s<]ricer[/s<] "gamer" features that I could see it being a big success commercially.

• Decelerate

Odd, in Canada they seem to be readily available (NCIX)

Thanks for the info.

• bhtooefr

NCIX US doesn’t carry them.

• ptsant

Getting a US Cherry mechanical keyboard was not exactly easy, but I’m very happy with it. Logitech has a much better sales presence and a much better visibility. More people will discover proper mechanical keyboards…

• Bensam123

Logitech doesn’t have a significant reputation? It doesn’t even matter that Logitech didn’t make mechanicals before this.

• Decelerate

[quote<]Logitech doesn't have a significant reputation?[/quote<]Did I actually declare that? :O

• ALiLPinkMonster

Welcome to 2012, Logitech.