Crytek shows Crysis 3 multiplayer with new modes

Everyone’s busy fawning over Borderlands 2 and Dishonored this month, but there are some exciting games still to come. One of those is Crysis 3, which is due out in February of next year—and it just so happens Crytek has released a fresh trailer to show off that game’s multiplayer for the first time. Take a look:

I’m not all that thrilled about the Crash Site mode, which looks pretty conventional. However, the new Hunter mode reminds me of an old Half-Life 2 mod, The Hidden, that was loads of fun to play with friends… and also pretty terrifying. Players had to fend off an invisible foe in dark and desolate maps with lots of nooks and crannies. Crytek’s characterization of the Crysis 3 Hunter mode as an "adrenaline rush" sounds true to that experience.

I never really got into the multiplayer for the first few Crysis games, but I think I may have to give Crysis 3‘s MP component a shot once the game comes out.

• nstuff

Crysis Wars is such an under appreciated MP game. The dedicated server is very easy to setup with pretty decent documentation. I saw the other comment about cheating. I’ve not played that much on open public servers, but with a good group of friends, it’s a great time.

I personally really like the gameplay. The huge maps like battleground with all the tanks and aircraft are epic. The engine still looks amazing even though the game came out 4 years ago. Yes, you need a decent system to play, but I really think Crysis Wars was built with PC FPS players in mind.

I don’t know what happened, but Crysis 2 MP was such a horrible experience. You take everything that is fun in Crysis Wars (vehicles, great balance of stealth, speed, easy to just get in and frag some people) and you remove or seriously hurt them. Then you add the whole CoD level up crap and you have Crysis 2 MP. Invisibility is pretty worthless since it only lasts a couple seconds, you get in and want to play and you are forced to play with crappy weapons unless you play enough to level up, and the balance isn’t right.

I really hope Crysis 3 brings back vehicles and either removes the whole level-up system, or at least just provide a gametype that allows a Crysis Wars type experience.

• BobbinThreadbare

Designed for consoles first is what happened.

I never actually got into Crysis 1/Crysis Wars Mp though. Seemed like it would it have been fun.

• Bensam123

Yeah, till you realize how many hackers were in the damn thing. I played Crysis Wars for a little bit while waiting for Living Legends to come out and there were definitely a lot in there. It was also a huge hodge podge of random crap.

• StashTheVampede

Please get some vehicles into this engine!

• willyolio

does the big walker-mech thing count as a vehicle?

• Arclight

The maps seem too small and the hunter should only be allowed to use melee. Also i hope they make more than one skin for the hunters or the cell operatives and add some speacial things (like in CS zombie mode).

Also the hunter shouldn’t be permanently cloacked. If he is then the ones that he kills shouldn’t respawn as hunters as this would be OP.

I also hope they will let the community create stuff, like maps, custom skins etc.

• Bensam123

I’m going to echo the sentiment that this may turn into a decent multiplayer experience. Lets hope they stepped up their cheat detection. For a game as technologically advanced as Crysis one would very much hope they would be on the bleeding edge of cheat detection. Unfortunately the last two Crysis games were hacked to shit (wallhacks and uber foilaged make for a very unpleasant experience).

It always has seemed like Crysis was a huge shell of a game waiting for something epic to be built inside, it’s good to see they’re actually trying to do that.

And as others have said, this sorta seems like a reverse zombie mod. CS has some pretty good zombie mods that are tons of fun. This doesn’t seem nearly as much as the infinite respawning guys have all the power. It just looks like cull the sheep. There wont ever be a epic last stand.

One other thing I hope game developers will eventually do that I enjoyed playing in CS was a VIP mode… Although sometimes you get a douchy or completely retarded VIP, most of the time it was tons of fun. Plus there are always way to limit griefing (such as kicking/banning).

• RickyTick

I agree, and also hope this is successful. I even like the Crash Site mode. It’s such a refreshing change from COD and BF.

• thanatos355

Hunter reminds me of this thing my BF clan used to do on BC2 called “Zombie Mode”. Two players start out as “zombies” and can only kill opposing players with their knife. Once a player is taken down, they become part of the horde. It was a whole lot of fun. I’m not sure about the whole cloaking suit thrown in though.

• sunner

One question …. Single player, also?

• lilbuddhaman

This game screams Turok. Just screeeeams it. Add dinosaurs Crytek.

• Arclight

It actually screams predator…….

• Arclight

I can haz youtube link?

• destroy.all.monsters

I presume you have a reason to have this although I can’t for the life of me figure out why.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wd8vDxn8HI4[/url<]

• Arclight

Yes, there is a valid reason but people that never worked (in an office) won’t understand, if you know what i mean.

Thank you!