Logitech intros wireless touchpad, touch mice for Win8

Windows 8 is going to be all about touch input. At least in the Metro interface, mice might feel a little like second-class citizens. That doesn’t seem to frighten the folks at Logitech, who have introduced a wireless touchpad and two mice to harness the new operating system’s touch capabilities.

The Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad T650 looks like the lovechild of Apple’s Magic Trackpad and the iPhone 5. Logitech touts its "ultra-smooth glass touch-surface" and its support for Windows 8 gestures. According to the official product page, the T650 is wider than a hand model’s hand, and it comes with a charging cable for tethering when the battery runs low. The list of supported gestures is pretty long; it looks like users will be able to switch applications, call the Windows 8 Start screen, and open the charms bar, all with simple swipes. Convenient.

This puppy isn’t gonna be cheap, though. Logitech quotes a suggested retail price of $79.99, which makes the device more expensive than the Apple Magic Trackpad, believe it or not. The Magic Trackpad sells for $69 on Apple’s online store.

As for the mice, the $69.99 Touch Mouse T620 (pictured on the left) features a "full touch-surface" that also supports Windows 8 gestures, while the $49.99 Zone Touch Mouse T400 limits touch capabilities to a strip that’s in place of the scroll wheel. Strangely, clicking that strip is supposed to open the Windows 8 Start screen. I guess Logitech thought the Windows key wasn’t already easy enough to press by accident.

• Bensam123

The left ‘orb’ mouse definitely looks cool, till you realize it’s touch entry. I could still see a lot of hipsters buying them (same that buy Macs). Unless it can read my thoughts when I touch my fingers to it, it’s not going to cut it though.

• Parallax

Has Logitech stopped producing mice that give off high-pitched buzzing yet? Not that I’m really interested in these touch versions anyway.

• GTVic

If you take off your tin foil hat the buzzing will go away.

• Rand

But then the voices urging you to kill return.

Made me listen to my mouse.

• jjj

The full touch mouse might be a pain if the software isn’t smart enough to properly ignore accidental touches and judging by how the touchpad is i doubt the software is smart enough (right click only in a corner).Also too bad that the tochpad is not solar,the glass was already there to cover the cells.
    I do wonder if the touchpad is pressure sensitive and how that could be used for gaming,if it was smart enough to detect the position of the hand it could be quite interesting.

• mkk

Microsoft should have done something much like that pad, as a hardware patch for the Windows 8 GUI.

• Flatland_Spider

How does middle clicking work on those? I’m interested in the touch mouse and touch pad, but if I can’t middle click they would be useless to me.

Middle clicking is something Logitech has typically ignored. Their free-scroll mousewheels can’t be clicked in any useful way. I RMA’d my first and when the new replacement was just as bad I returned it and bought elsewhere.

• Flatland_Spider

I’ve always though the free-scroll wheel would be useless for middle clicking when I’ve played with the demo models in stores. Which is a shame since I do like everything else about the Anywhere mouse.

I haven’t had a problem with middle clicking with the regular scroll wheels on other Logitech mice. I have a m525 and LS1 as personal mice, and the other Logitech mice around the office work fine as well.

So do you click not on top of the wheel or something? I have a G9 with a free-scroll wheel and I haven’t had any problems.

edit: I suppose this applies to both commenters.

It’s a common complaint of the G9x. The mousewheel is so hard to press in “notch” mode that some people can’t actually do it without accidentally scrolling. I don’t have that problem, but I can’t help but think the extra force required makes for potential RSI and it’s pretty lousy ergonomics.

Using super basic testing (involving a metal ruler and a postal weight-checker) I worked out that you need about fifteen newtons of force to middle-click a G9x, whilst the primary buttons needed slightly less than one newton.

So, is it normal for a middle button to require twenty times as much force as the other buttons?
            I don’t think so and [url=https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g9x+middle+click&aq=0&oq=g9x+middle+click&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8<]apparently plenty of other people don't like it either[/url<]....

• Sargent Duck

That touch pad looks like it’d be killer for a HTPC.

• Deanjo

My preferred device for HTPC is still a remote with a keyboard/touchpad combo like the Logitech K400.

[url<]http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/keyboards/keyboards/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400[/url<]

• tay

I use the Apple keyboard and Apple trackpad with a BT adapter for my HTPC (E-350 based).

• sweatshopking

I returned the k400 for being the ugliest, and cheapest built keyboard I’ve ever seen. Nice idea, but what awful build quality.

• ludi

Yeah, the K400 build quality is not great, but considering the compact size, it’s never really caused me any problems. Plus, the audio control buttons work with Windows7 right out of the box, and having all functions feed through a single, universal USB micro-receiver is pretty sweet. How much keyboard input time do you really need for an HTPC?

Besides, as an HTPC keyboard, it gets moved a lot and chucked across the couch. if it was heavier, it would break things, including itself.

• Deanjo

Ya, there are a few annoyances on it (uber small right shift key for example) but as 99% of HTPC use is done through the remote control the only time the keyboard actually gets used is renaming the odd movie name or system administration stuff (system upgrades etc). It is good enough for those purposes the the convenience of having the track pad attached to the keyboard greatly outweighs the cons imho.

>2012
            >not using a Lenovo N5902

ISHYGDDT

• Deanjo

Had one of those, didn’t like it. Also had one of the Visiontek Candyboards. In both cases it felt like using a cell phone to try to do some basic computer work with. At that point I might as well just use one of the many available phone/tablet apps that allow you to use it for a keyboard.

• grantmeaname

Doesn’t apple have patents on touch-responsive surfaces and rounded rectangles?

Risky move, Logitech. Risky move.

• Deanjo

You are assuming that Logitech hasn’t licensed that tech from Apple.

• Flatland_Spider

He’s also assuming Apple sees Logitech as a threat to their highly profitable and dominate position in the wireless touchpad market, and by losing that position, Apple is assured a return to second tier status.

• Deanjo

Umm, ya, sure, that why Apple has crushed logitech into oblivion for their other offerings of other products. Oh wait…. they haven’t because logitech does actually license the tech that they use. It isn’t the first multitouch device Logitech has offered.

• jjj

You guys are nuts,laptops use touchpads since.. forever,the tech is pretty much the same

• Flatland_Spider

Yeah, I’m guessing this is technology from Synaptic.

• albundy

no no no, apple invented the touchpad, the mouse, they keyboard, the monitor, the air and the water. the company should ship some water to steve. it must be really really hot down there!

• Flatland_Spider

You’re right it’s not the first touch device from Logitech, and Logitech is probably using some parts they bought from Synaptic, who happens to be the touchpad market leader, for these devices. I’d be surprised if Apple could do anything considering how long Synaptic has been in this market.

Anyway, you missed the point. grantmeaname is assuming touchpads and mice are in the same league as cellphones when it comes to Apple’s balance sheet. Hint: They are not.

• MadManOriginal

Do you have a source stating that Logitech or any other company licenses touch technology from Apple?