Lenovo’s Yoga convertible tablets to start at $799

Notebook makers are coming up with all sorts of ways to make their Windows 8 systems transform into tablets. Lenovo’s Yoga series takes an interesting approach. It allows the screen to swing all the way back, creating a tablet-like slab with the screen on one side and the keyboard on the other. This flexibility also allows for other positions, such as a tent-like inverted “V” that looks like it might be ideal for watching movies in a cramped airline seat. We first saw the Yoga’s clever contortions at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier this year. Now, Lenovo has provided more specifics on the Yoga systems that will make it to market.

The hybrid we got our hand on at CES has become the IdeaPad Yoga 13. Lenovo says the system is less than 17 mm thick and offers eight hours of battery life. Ivy Bridge-based Core i5 and i7 CPUs can be found under the hood, and the 13″ IPS panel has a reasonably high resolution of 1600×900. Prices start at $1,099, but it’s unclear what the base configuration entails. We should have a better idea on October 12, which is when the Yoga 13 will be up for pre-order at Best Buy. The system will become available on October 26 alongside Windows 8.

If you were hoping to spend a little less on a hybrid that bends over backwards, good news. Lenovo will also offer the IdeaPad Yoga 11 for $799.

As its name implies, the Yoga 11 sports a smaller display. According to Engadget, the Yoga 11’s 11.6″ panel has a 1366×768 display resolution. The chassis is a little thinner and lighter than the Yoga 13’s, and Lenovo promises much better battery life—13 hours, to be exact. Unfortunately, you’ll have to give up compatibility with x86 desktop applications. The Yoga 11’s Nvidia Tegra 3 processor runs Windows RT, not the full version of Windows 8.

Although the IdeaPad Yoga 11 won’t be available until December, I believe it’s the first WinRT device we’ve seen with a permanently attached keyboard. It will be interesting to see whether consumers prefer the convertible approach to Transformer-style keyboard docks that can be removed completely.

• trackerben

An UltraThin Surface? Nice-looking ARM laptop which should sell at $599 if it comes with Office RT. But how will the keyboard feel, and does it have GPS and 3G/LTE?

• dashbarron

Anyone else misread “Yoga” or stopped reading once they saw it and get just a wee bit excited for irrational reasons?

• burntham77

Yoga pants?

So now we’re up to $800 for a lowly Tegra3 tablet.

I know I’m cynical, but that’s because cynics don’t get sucked into marketing spin and stupid ideas.

• willyolio

is there anything to protect the keys when it’s flipped all the way open? how do i hold it without mashing the keyboard?

• A_Pickle

This is my thinking… I can’t exactly figure out why they wouldn’t make this thing detachable. Honestly, a rotating screen would’ve been a better option here.

Not that I’m worried about protecting the keyboard, though. I think keyboards are used to some level of mashing, I just think it looks gaudy and it doesn’t make much sense to inhibit portability by mechanically requiring that you lug around a keyboard with your tablet at all times.

• joselillo_25

There will be a key to turn off the keyboard or some windows way to do it, if not this Lenovo guys needs to stop smoking banned herbs.

• willyolio

still doesn’t stop the fact that i’ll be [b<]gripping[/b<] it by the keyboard, which could cause some damage to it.

• Bensam123

And that is a tablet… for $800… That looks like a laptop with a swivel touch screen (only it doesn’t swivel).

• Voldenuit

Meanwhile, lenovo’s own Ideatab Lynx starts at $599 for a Clover Trail Win8 (not RT) tablet, with an optional $149 keyboard dock bringing it to $749. That’s still $50 cheaper than the Yoga 11 and will run full-fat x86 apps (although how well those apps will run on Clover Trail is another matter…)

• A_Pickle

One of these with USB 3.0. That’s all I want. Looks like I’m waiting for one packing a Z-60…

• Voldenuit

Aaand… Thinkpad Tablet 2 has been priced, [url=http://www.pcworld.com/article/2011296/lenovos-thinkpad-tablet-2-to-be-priced-starting-at-629.html<]starting from $629[/url<]. Similar specs to the Ideatab Lynx, but presumably better build quality, Win8 Pro and (this is the biggie) stylus with active digitizer. I'm not sure I'll like the keyboard dock, which doesn't look lap-friendly, but I'll wait and see.

• PrincipalSkinner

$1100 for a tablet? Really?

• BoBzeBuilder

GET A JOB!

• gamoniac

There was a time I would spent $1100 for a tablet without blinking…. a time before a wonderful marriage and two beautiful kids. Keep us poor family guy posted on how your $1100 tablet work, would you? 🙂

• BoBzeBuilder

GET A SECOND JOB!
          [url<]http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/4552543/images/1242291857518.gif[/url<]

• BobbinThreadbare

/tg/ is the best board

• moose17145

hmmm… you all bring up compelling arguments…

[url<]http://i29.tinypic.com/hwcnxv.gif[/url<]

• NeelyCam

I have a feeling that next year Haswell will come and kill off all the ARM competition in this space. But I also think that, without the looming competition from ARM, Intel never would’ve made Haswell what is it – a power-optimized superchip

• chuckula

In the above $500 tablet space (for whatever that space is worth) Intel is going to be very strong.
      In the sub-$300 tablet space, which is rapidly becoming more popular, Intel has much more work to do… but then again so does Apple…

• NeelyCam

Intel could supply Atoms to that market (e.g., a single-core version of Clover Trail). I don’t see why Intel wouldn’t be able to compete against ARM chips there. I still believe Intel can undercut any ARM licensee with price if they wanted to and still make money.

• chuckula

Operative word “could.” I agree with you on a technological level of what Intel is capable of doing. I’m not sure I agree with you on the political level of what Intel’s management is willing to do.

Think of it like that scene from the Matrix sequel where that Colonel Sanders guy tells Neo that there are levels of existence that the AI is willing to live with if it were to kill off all the humans. That is like ARM + Licensees who are willing to accept razor thin profit margins. I’m not sure that Intel is willing to drop to that level of profit margin (at least not yet…).

• MadManOriginal

These only seem cool from a design standpoint. I certainly wouldn’t want to use one in tablet mode where keyboard becomes the bottom of the tablet.

• oldog

I believe this is a stonking idea. I foresee a time when all cell phones come with a back side keyboard or touch panel a la the Vita.

I’m surprised it took this long for someone to figure it out.

• willmore

I think this idea is going to get stonked. Unless they’ve changed the meaning of that word, it means a measure of artillery fire.

[url<]http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stonked[/url<]

• BIF

Me neither!

At least when I use my iPad from its Brookstone folio in tablet-mode (ie, with the keyboard shut off), it folds under in such a way that it’s not on the underside being subjected to pressures from my hand holding the whole assemblage.

• shank15217

why? it will be like playing an accordion.

• chuckula

Acer x86 Tablet (super-high end version including dock with extra battery, not base model): $799
    Lenovo ARM Tablet: $799

Acer x86 Tablet base model: $499.
    Windows Surface tablet with ARM: $399 (base cost, no frills, and you can be sure that MS is subsidizing that price ala X-box 360)

So much for the ARM tablets being half the price of the x86 tablets…

• NeelyCam

[quote<]So much for the ARM tablets being half the price of the x86 tablets...[/quote<] Yep; reality is finally sinking in. The cost of the CPU is a small portion of the cost of the whole thing. This applies equally well into desktop systems, laptops and tablets/phones. Offering a laptop with an ARM chip instead of a decent x86 chips can cut the price no more than 10%, but comes with a 50+% performance reduction and software incompatibility.

• TO11MTM

I didn’t even know about the new Iconias until I looked them up. Nice! Finally I can get a (relatively) nice and inexpensive i3 tablet. (Surface may fall into that category, but we don’t really know…)

• sweatshopking

it’s an i5, but you’re right, surface pricing isn’t confirmed.

• mkk

I’m sure the outside is really nice and I for one like Lenovo, but Windows RT systems at $800 and above..; good luck.

• cynan

$800 for an Arm tablet that includes a keyboard dock that you [i<]can't[/i<] detach. With 1366x768 resolution (arguably enough for an 11" tablet, but not competitive with other premium ARM tablets)? Yeah. Good luck indeed.

• NeelyCam

Keyboard permanently attached to a touchscreen display? Walks like a duck, talks like a duck… Clearly it’s an ARM “ultrabook”; it’s even priced in the same ballpark as Intel Ultrabooks and AMD “ultrathins”. But how the hell do they think this has any chance of competing with real ultrabooks?

• willmore

And considering how poorly ultrabooks are selling at that price, yeah, crazy.