Latest GeForce drivers have full Win8 WHQL support

I should set a keyboard macro so I don’t keep having to type "Windows 8" again and again this month. I guess you can’t fault hardware makers for making preparations, though. This time, the firm getting ready for the new OS is Nvidia, which has released a fresh set of GeForce drivers with full Windows Hardware Quality Labs certification for Windows 8.

The GeForce 306.97 drivers are available here on GeForce.com. Since this is a unified release, it also supports Windows 7 and Vista. I’m not seeing much in the way of fresh features, though. Support for the new GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card is included, of course, and Nvidia says users can expect the "same performance optimizations as last month’s 306.23 WHQL release." (See here for our coverage of that update.)

Oh, and the company has added some new 3D Vision and SLI profiles. The SLI profile for Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Future Soldier has been updated, Nvidia says, as have the 3D Vision profiles for games like Doom 3: BFG Edition, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Check vs. Mate. You can check the blog post on GeForce.com for the full list. Otherwise, that’s pretty much it as far as changes and additions go.

• HisDivineOrder

I dislike much about Windows 8’s assumptions for the user.

That said, I can’t wait until it releases so we can read all the, “TEH SKY IZ FALLING!!!!1111!!11!!!!!”

Then people begin to slowly defend it because they’ve forgotten how grand Windows 7 was. Or they’re gluttons for punishment. Eventually, giving way to a very loud minority sticking with Windows 7 (as happened when it was XP vs Vista) and everyone else making do with Windows 8.

Mostly because that’s what they’ll have. Windows 9 will show up sooner rather than later and “improve” the “Windows 8 tech” by making a lot of it optional and improving how much of the UI/features can be used/changed via Metro. I suspect the ideal interface by then will be to make Metro optional because by then MS will have given Metro it’s shot of being very familiar to users and it will likely have failed yet again (Zune HD, Windows 7 Phone).

By then, Ballmer will be spending sleepless nights staring up at the ceiling, losing bonuses, and daydreaming of the day when he can leave MS so he too can enjoy the awesome quality and features of an iPhone and iPad. By then, his wife and children will be secretly using iOS devices when he’s not around. Just before going to bed, Bill Gates will have emailed, “Dude, why can’t I get you on Facetime?”

• NeelyCam

I hope they don’t come with giant mouse cursors.

Fizzt

• sweatshopking

i was trying to decide if this was worth first posting on, and decided i didn’t have anything to say. nice to see you have at least SOMETHING. on the amd cursor side, does anyone else have cursor corruption where it turns into a whole bunch of one corner of the icon so it looks like a line of points? i get that all the time and it drives me crazy.

wtf was the down vote for? i’m just asking if i’m alone in my cursor corruption! sometimes you guys forget that i’m A MAN. A MAN WITH FEELINGS.

• BobbinThreadbare

Real men don’t have feelings.

They can’t carry that much baggage when hauling around their Nokia [s<]bricks[/s<] phones.

• sweatshopking

sadly i wouldn’t know ;( nokia’s are rogers exclusives (excluding the 800) in canada, and i’m not THAT stupid (despite what some of you might think)

• DarkUltra

Don’t worry. I only voted you down because it was funny! My post, however, will be funny to vote up!

• dashbarron

Honestly, I’m a little surprised you actually consider rather to actually post or not.

• l33t-g4m3r

I thought that was an old AMD thing. Or was that a random comment to say Fizzt? I haven’t had any weird “driver” problems for a while, but I do think I have a low quality chip that acts up from time to time with different driver versions, and is only stable when set to max performance. I don’t have enough motivation yet to buy something new, and hopefully the newer 6 series don’t have similar QC issues. I have half an idea to try getting a better replacement through the warranty, but also doubt the hardware is defective enough for that to work. Meh, I’m content as long my games work.

• NeelyCam

It was an old AMD thing, but one tends to remember disappointments for a long time.. That was the last time I used an AMD card in a system. Then again, that was the last time I used any discrete card in a system – before I switched to AMD temporarily, I had problems with NVidia cards (I think I got hit by the bumpgate issues).

I don’t remember having any driver issues with any NVidia cards, though, so assuming they don’t have another hardware-related screw-up, I would probably go with NVidia if I ever built another gaming rig again. I mean, performance/price is pretty much the for both NVidia and AMD, and whoever has the “performance crown” doesn’t matter to me – I won’t buy the highest-end card anyway. To me, the most valuable thing is minimizing hassles (like driver issues), and based on my own experiences, I trust NVidia better

• l33t-g4m3r

I’ve used ATI since dx8 and never had driver issues, or at least anything I would classify as a problem. Even betas have been relatively stable. Nvidia, on the other hand often releases unusable beta’s, and after a somewhat recent one completely disabled video playback, I vowed to never install a beta from them again. Not that I really need to.

Bugs aside, software issues are fixable, whereas hardware issues are not. If you get sent a flaky chip, nothing will fix the issues that originate from a malfunctioning chip. So many people have been affected by bumpgate and TDR’s, yet nvidia’s RDF has somehow lessened the blow and prevented what should be mass recalls. My 470 is not stable using low power modes, and often fail-safes to 50 MHz after repeated long-term switching failures. That’s not a minor or easily fixable problem, and it annoys me enough to consider attempting the warranty process, which may not pull though.

If I go with Nvidia again, QC better not be a problem, or it will be my last. I love Nvidia’s day1 game support, but a quality product is more important. I’ve used ATI since dx8, so I know what to expect and won’t be disappointed by later game support that I wouldn’t buy day1 anyway. Either brand should be fine now, except there isn’t anything worthy for $200 over what I got.

-first world problems.