An update to our discussion rules

The rules that govern discussions in the TR forums and comments haven’t changed in over four years, but today, we’ve decided to update them in order to address a growing problem known as stealth viral marketing.

We’ve had a pretty confident suspicion for quite a while that a subset of the people posting here have alternative motives and agendas, even if you account for the fanboy phenomenon. The "contributions" these folks make to discussions tend to worsen the signal-to-noise ratio of many threads and to distort the priorities expressed in them. If you’ve sometimes thought certain discussions seem like a weird echo chamber filled with more marketing concerns than traditional PC enthusiast concerns, you know what I’m talking about.

Trouble is, definitively identifying and reining in stealthy viral marketing activity isn’t easy. Still, we have decided to take the small step of adding a forum rule explicitly banning it. Here is the text of the new rule:

13.) Although we welcome the participation of representatives from industry firms, stealth viral marketing activities are strictly prohibited here. Participants who are employed in the PC hardware industry, either directly or via an arrangement with a third party, must disclose their affiliations up front, either in a public post, a note in their signature, or both. Note that "employed" in this context extends to those who are compensated in the form of product samples, attention, and other means. If you engage in stealth viral marketing activity, you may be banned, and you also immediately forfeit your protection under the TR privacy policy. You have been warned.

Our goal is to make clear that TR is not a hospitable place for stealth viral marketing activity.

We are, however, very open to participation from folks in the industry. We’re just asking that participants adhere to the standard most good corporate social marketing policies already require: that you actively identify yourself as affiliated with the company you represent.

Also, please note the last part of the rule, where those who engage in stealth viral marketing lose the protections of our privacy policy. (That policy has been updated to reflect this change, as well.) We don’t collect much in the way of personally identifiable information—e-mail address, IP addresses, and usernames is the extent of it—but if you engage in stealth viral marketing at TR, we may choose not to afford you the same protection we do everybody else.

In other words, stealth viral marketers may want to close their accounts now, because this rule change is going into effect. Consider this post fair warning.

Let me be clear: we are not going to post the email and IP addresses of obnoxious fanboys or suspected stealth viral marketers as a matter of practice. But if we conduct an investigation and can make a link between you and a viral marketing operation, we are giving ourselves leeway to make the results of that inquiry public.

For the vast majority of you, even the hopeless fanboys, the only effect of this rule update should be better interactions. Our hope is that we can maintain the discussion quality that has been so good here at TR for years. This step is just a small one, but we think it’s necessary at this point. Please bear with us as we continue working to maintain the integrity of our community.

• willmore

This finally accured to me. Is TR going to be disclosing when tested hardware is contributed by a vendor and when it was aquired by purchase? Up until now, I’ve never questioned my belief that TR was unbiased and was only interested in doing the best testing and reporting they could do with the resources they had. It just strikes me that this level of transparency would continue to cement that belief in place.

• Damage

We already do. See the “thanks” section here:

[url<]https://techreport.com/review/23662/amd-a10-5800k-and-a8-5600k-trinity-apus-reviewed/3[/url<] We try to put this info in each review, although it looks like I need to thwack Geoff for his latest SSD review, which isn't specific enough. 😉

• willmore

Wonderful! Thank you! Thwack away!

• MarkD

I once got a free Intel NIC – in the ISA era, so it probably would have cost me $60 if I had bought it. It worked well, but so has every other NIC I ever worked with. Except for one model built into a certain server which was released before it was fully supported.

So, is the opposite true? If I have had less than satisfactory interactions with certain companies, should I disclose that as well? Because Computer Associates and HP are on my list… HP in the server space – my daughter’s HP laptop has been excellent, and we won’t go into CA lest I be banned from the internet for eternity.

Does anyone else think that the bad displaces the good in IT? We had DEC acquired by Compaq acquired by HP. CA bought out University Computing Corp, and a host of others.

• Auril4

The keepers of this site seem to be a little whiny sometimes.

• BIF

Will there be a sub forum where people could go to update/view the affiliations of industry insiders?

Signatures don’t appear in article comments, and really I wouldn’t want them anyway because they would slow down the immediacy of these comments, like speedbumps on a freeway.

• halbhh2

I’m very much a fan of Samsung, Intel and AMD. My favorite products are my Intel cpus, AMD cpus, and Samsung SSD, oh yeah, and my Seasonic psu.

Very much a fan!

And, honestly, it’s pretty disappointing to see a good writer get into a bad state of mind, and start using demeaning labels.

What would help? Use old advice you hear everywhere: Don’t take it personally.

When someone disagrees with you, don’t take it personally.

• Martian

It’s more than taking it personally, this requires medication…

• UberGerbil

You know who shouldn’t be taking it personally?

• provoko

Thank you TR, I hope the shills get banned!

• RhysAndrews

Anybody who manages to extract some cynical jokes about Apple out of this news post wins my upvote.

• Hawkins

• raddude9

Do I have to admit to who my employer is, they’re a big player in the computer hardware biz, but I’m not a representative of them in any way. I have never and will never participate in any of their marketing campaigns.
    Any thoughts, I’d like to go on making comments on this site if I can.

• UberGerbil

Unless your job for your employer involves advocacy, and you do it on the forums, I don’t see a problem.

• nexxcat

Let’s have a look (emphasis mine)

[quote<] 13.) Although we welcome the participation of representatives from industry firms, stealth viral marketing activities are strictly prohibited here. [b<]Participants who are employed in the PC hardware industry, either directly[/b<] or via an arrangement with a third party, [b<]must disclose their affiliations up front, either in a public post, a note in their signature, or both[/b<]. Note that "employed" in this context extends to those who are compensated in the form of product samples, attention, and other means. If you engage in stealth viral marketing activity, you may be banned, and you also immediately forfeit your protection under the TR privacy policy. You have been warned. [/quote<] Sounds pretty cut-and-dried to me. If I were employed by nvidia, for example, I would say something like "I'm an employee of a graphics chip company. My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of my employers." in my sig. Edit: added the first line.

• bhtooefr

I think the whole “disclose their affiliations” requires a company name.

Given that my real name is incredibly easy to find, and my employer is on my LinkedIn, I went ahead and tossed a post into DYMT with my affiliation.

I personally don’t like that the policy went quite as far as it did, but I understand the reasoning behind it, I’ll play by the rules.

If I were writing the rule, it would be something along the lines of…

[quote<]13.) Although we welcome the participation of representatives from industry firms, stealth viral marketing activities are strictly prohibited here. Participants who receive any sort of compensation, whether financial or in the form of product samples, publicity, or other means, from a PC hardware company, directly or via an arrangement with a third party, in the past 12 months must disclose their affiliation up front to the moderation team. In addition, those participants must publicly disclose their affiliation when discussing any products from any companies they are affiliated with, or any competitors to those products. Participants who are representing a PC hardware company in any capacity (such as, but not limited to, marketing and support) in their participation on The Tech Report must prefix their username with the company that the participant is representing. If you engage in stealth viral marketing activity, you may be banned, and you also immediately forfeit your protection under the TR privacy policy. You have been warned.[/quote<] With the rule written like that, it means that the moderation team can know about potential biases amongst our membership, without those members having to disclose their employment status to the membership (unless they're discussing their employer's (or a competitor's) products, or are posting to represent their employer).

• Jason181

[quote<]Participants who are employed in the PC hardware industry, either directly or via an arrangement with a third party, must disclose their affiliations up front, either in a public post, a note in their signature, or both.[/quote<] I'd actually say that you do, but then my opinion is worth what you paid for it. I'd contact Damage if I were you.

• PrecambrianRabbit

On the Internet, nobody knows you’re a dog. Or an employee of any particular tech company.

I’d say this rule is about giving editors and moderators power to boot people who are engaging in the above mentioned practices. If you’re not shilling, I don’t see any reason why anyone would even think to question you.

Although it would kind of be fascinating to see how many posters around here are in the industry :-).

• TurtlePerson2

I have an offer to work for one of the companies that TR covers. If I take that job, I would probably never comment on computer hardware on the TR forums or articles again. You can never completely keep your biases out of discussions like these, so I think it’s best to avoid the ethical dilemma altogether and simply not comment.

• raddude9

raddude 9 signing off…

Thanks Turtle. I’ve double checked the rules and looked at all the discussion but unfortunately it looks like your approach is my only viable option.

I really don’t want to announce who my employer is because although I’ve mentioned them favorably at times, I’ve also said some unflattering things about them. All of this was before I got my current job though, and I’ve avoided discussing them while they are my employer. Things might get rather embarrassing for me at work if a comment of mine is misconstrued as marketing by TR, my privacy is blown and my new employer gets wind of a few of my old comments.

So I’ve decided to take a leave-of-absence from my TR account. It’s going to be tough, especially when NeelyCam bad-mouths ARM (no, I don’t work for ARM), but my job is more important than commenting on TR.

Thanks for all the responses and upvotes folks, I’ll be back as soon as I quit or get fired from my current job.

• NeelyCam

Don’t worry. I won’t be doing any badmouthing anymore – I’m in the same situation as you are.

My company has a policy about employees not posting anything negative about the company in social media. If I ‘disclose my affiliation’, I could get in trouble for my past comments, and I most certainly wouldn’t be able to continue speaking my mind, as that could be in direct violation of my employer’s policies.

This really sucks. I’m not here as a representative of my employer, and definitely not as part of a stealth marketing program. I’m here as a person, as myself – I’m not married to my job. And I really loved being here, commenting, trolling, debating, losing FP contests.. But because of the new policy, I can’t post anymore.

I understand the reasoning behind the policy, but it has unintended consequences by forcing us ‘industry insiders’ leave. Because of our dayjobs, we could contribute a lot to the discussions (yes; even me – if you read between the trolling lines, there is real content there)… And is it really necessary for TR folks to protect us from Evil Marketers? I’d like to think that most of us know enough about technology and about today’s Interweb that we’re not really susceptible to stealth viral marketing.

I tried to get a clarification from Damage about if it really is necessary to disclose my company, but didn’t get a reply. And I’m not gonna take the risk of continuing posting here and have Scott track down my employer, disclose it here, and have me fired. So, this is the last post from me. I will miss you all.

[b<]Dpaus[/b<]: I'll still be a lurker, and when we find out who won our bet, I'll PM you. [b<]SSK[/b<]: THANKS FOR THE FP BATTLES AND RANDOM COMMENTARY ABOUT THE SOCIAL STATE OF THE WORLD. [b<]All those who advised me on a phone upgrade[/b<]: I got a Samsung Galaxy S3 today (and loving it so far). I tried the LG Escape, and it really felt like a great phone - small, fast etc. But since that was $50 and the S3 was $100 (Best Buy's "One Day Sale!!"), there was just too much extra goodness to be had for just $50 more.. The second half of the household is waiting for Lumia 920, though.. Thank you all for everything. It was great while it lasted. NeelyCam signing off.

• raddude9

Very sorry to hear that you’re in the same boat NC, I enjoyed our “discussions”, and seeing this is a last post kind of thing, I’ll admit that I even learned a thing or two 😉

I just want to add that I think this rule has gone too far, I, and I presume others don’t mind saying that we have financial ties to the industry (you can even tag every one of my posts as such or put that as a warning in brackets after my user name!), but disclosing what exactly those ties are puts us in a bind that means we are no longer free to post, and that’s half the fun of TR for me.

Please modify the rule, please.

• Damage

You guys are welcome to PM me with questions about your specific situations. I think we can work something out for long-time members who obviously aren’t shills.

• anotherengineer

So if you are a Finlander does your last name end with a ‘la’ or a ‘nen’ ??

😉

edit – Neely do you frequent Techpowerup? I think I may miss your fishing, I mean trolling, can you still post there? It is a Eurpoean site, they probably allow e-dubees.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]So if you are a Finlander does your last name end with a 'la' or a 'nen' ??[/quote<] Yes. You know, I decided to change my mind because I JUST LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!! <3 <3 <3 After reading this again, there shouldn't be any risk of my employer getting outed: [quote<]"But if we conduct an investigation and can make a link between you and a viral marketing operation, we are giving ourselves leeway to make the results of that inquiry public."[/quote<] I'm not part of a viral marketing operation -> no link. All good.

• raddude9

Glad you’re back Neely.
            I’m just going to avoid discussions about my employer, that should be enough for me to keep commenting here…

• anotherengineer

NEEDS MORE CAPS 😉

• ericfulmer

Any plans with the bogus forum posts? Seems that in the last couple of weeks I’ve seen a dozen new topics from folks with low counts that are unambiguous advertising.

• MadManOriginal

Those usually get deleted when the forum moderators see them.

I’ve seen other deal forums with this by locking down the first post to a specific forum (i.e. introduce yourself forum or the equivalent.)

• DPete27

How about adding a profile info entry for “folks in the industry” that would display their affiliation below their username like so:

Username
    “TR status”
    “join date”
    “location”
    “Nvidia rep” (for example)

• superjawes

…this would be very nice

• Jason181

Personally I think just requiring the disclosure in their signature would be enough. I don’t know about you, but I don’t look up profiles very often (and I realize this is not what you were recommending). The sig requirement wouldn’t put any additional burden on the web developer either.

• designerfx

article: viral marketing is not ok, we will ban people who do it
    thread: making fun of the article
    reality: zero people have been exposed as viral marketers, 0 results.

*Golfclap* – way to go techreport.

• eitje

i got stuff at the last TR BBQ, so anything nice i have to say about drfish should be considered paid advertising.

• eitje

drfish is very handsome and strong, by the way.

• drfish

*slips eitje $5*

• eitje

*adds $5 to travel fund*

• Spotpuff

People do this? Just, go on the internet and misrepresent themselves? 🙁

• Meadows

I don’t remember the last time TR created a comment section so lively and hilarious.

• entropy13

With just one ssk comment as well too. Meaning ssk’s overrated…

• south side sammy

so we can’t post links to provide information that would be pertinent to a thread or I can’t say I have x amount of this particular sound card and have zero problems………… am I a “stealthy viral marketer” and am I doing it without realizing it…. ?

I have to look this up because I never heard of it before……….. but I don’t read all the forums all the time and don’t pay that close attention nor would I be aware to be honest………. too ignorant I guess.

• Sam125

It’s probably Scott just being bored with his job. AFAIK there have been viral marketing attempts by tech companies on the [b<]large[/b<] tech blogs and forums but maybe I'm not in the loop with tech much these days but that was a phenomena that occurred several years ago and doesn't happen much these days. Edit: Besides, the viral marketers probably just run and operate their own faux tech sites and shill their wares. That makes much more sense than trying to implant a "spy" into a community.

• BobbinThreadbare

[quote<]that was a phenomena that occurred several years ago and doesn't happen much these days.[/quote<] lol

• Sam125

Know something I don’t? For the most part, viral marketing is a massive failure in the tech community as the marketer is almost invariably rooted out and exposed which causes quite a backlash against the company who engaged in it. I’m not going to name names but it’s happened with quite a few companies.

Note: I’m specifically referring to quality websites like TR. The more trashy tech sites may very well be rife with “stealth marketers”.

• BobbinThreadbare

Viral marketing is a huge industry of it’s own and this point and just keeps growing.

• Sam125

I always thought most of the higher end brands have pretty much given up on viral marketing and market products using the halo effect. That seems more effective in creating a positive brand image than trying to go viral, IMO.

Although considering how creative marketing is always evolving, I wouldn’t be surprised if some newer, more effective way to manipulate consumers are being constantly devised. 😉

• Washer

That’s a joke right? Viral marketing is constant. It’s in nearly every mainstream TV show or movie. Look for branded electronics. If they’re showing you a real log or brand name there has certainly been some marketing deal cut.

Viral marketing has evolved and it appears to be working…

• BobbinThreadbare

I would not say product placement is the same at all.

• MadManOriginal

You’re not a viral marketer because you own a company’s products and talk about them, you’re a viral marketer if you are compensated by a company for promoting their products on a website – without saying you are compensated by said company it is ‘stealthy.’ Most often viral marketers attempt to appear like regular customers when in fact they in fact have a vested interest in promoting said company.

• willmore

Okay, so astroturfing is a form of this type of viral marketing? I feel the need for a Venn Diagram.

• south side sammy

Ah, stooge, dapper dan, mickey finn, two fer…….. now I get it………… yeah, see ?

• Forge

Well, I work for a company called Global DMS, which makes appraisal management software, but unless TR gets into real estate, I think there’s no overlap. I’ll be sure to disclose if that happens.

I was once ‘compensated’ by OCZ via gifts, but I don’t think anyone ever thought I was unduly supporting them in my posts. If so, sorry. Won’t happen again, I can guarantee!

• UberGerbil

Really, fanboys must be getting compensated in a way too, if only in a borrowed sense of self-esteem.

• UberGerbil

Appreciate the change, Scott, and the thought you put into it.

Of course, you get free stuff all the time 😉

Not sure you should be limiting it to the PC hardware industry, since we (increasingly) have discussions about phones and other things (this is the Tech Report, not the PC Report, after all). Though I consider smartphones to be (very) personal computers, the popular interpretation of the “PC hardware industry” is more limited. You’re also (arguably) leaving out software, which is potentially just as problematic.

• jpostel

disclaimer: I work for VMware.

I would also include the software folks. We (in the TR comments and forums) spend a lot of time discussing MS, Google, Apple, etc. and it is often about software.

On a personal note, I already tend to add a disclaimer to my comments when discussing software industry things or any particular companies I have worked for.

• Walkintarget

Viral marketers you say ??

<Simpsons>
    Hi, I’m Troy McClure. You might remember me from such self-help videos as “Smoke Yourself Thin”, and “Get Confident, Stupid.”.
    </Simpsons>

• paulWTAMU

Damn. Busted. I’m really a shill for VIA chipsets 🙁

• MadManOriginal

Don’t quit your day job.

• ClickClick5

VIA will do that for you.

• UberGerbil

In communist PC component backwater, day job quits you

• paulWTAMU

I insisted on payment in Intel chips.

• tootercomputer

I had Via kt-333, kt-600, and the kt8 mobos. By and large, they were terrific motherboards. They just could not get the fsb thing down quite right with locked pci/agp lanes (bumping up the fsb without bumping up pci or agp speeds). I was able to OC a mobile barton 2600 to 2.6GHz (13 X 200) on an alby kt-600 mobo, and it ran cool and stable. This was in 2004. Great system, and I think it’s still running (albeit at a slower speed) at my son’s school where I donated it.

Anyway, I was sorry to see Via drop out. And I seem to be alone in that sentiment.

• Prion

Nah I’m with you. AMD platforms were a lot less appealing for quite a while, pretty much between the time that VIA dropped out of the race and the time AMD bought up ATI and started making all of their chipsets first party.

• BoBzeBuilder

sigh…. You got me, Steve Ballmer here.

• paulWTAMU

Watch otu for flying chairs

otu? on the upside?

• paulWTAMU

You try typing while ducking.

• Thatguy

Developers?

• 5150

Come on Scott, name names you tease!

• chuckula

I have in my hand here a list with the names of fifty-seven shills that have posted to this very thread!

• UberGerbil

Have you no decency, sir? At long last, have you no sense of decency?

• jensend

I really appreciated you two putting these spot-on references out there, and I have to wonder whether the fact you’ve only been thumbed up 4-5 times for this indicates that people don’t know their history.

Maybe I just haven’t spent enough time in the forums, but I haven’t noticed shills being a real problem around here.

Though policies to prevent problems with shills could be helpful in some circumstances, I really think this will either have rather little impact on things around here or cause fanboy shouting matches to devolve even further into a lot of acrimonious McCarthy-style accusations and witch hunts. Hopefully it’s the former.

• MadManOriginal

Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Viral Marketing Party?

• paulWTAMU

I refuse to answer that on the grounds it is not the committe’s business.

• Star Brood

Shouldn’t shareholders be part of this grouping?

• UberGerbil

Why? I own, directly or indirectly, shares in a bunch of technology companies — many of whom are in direct competition with each other — and that’s probably true of just about anybody here who has a 401(k). That somehow makes me an unreliable commenter or gives me ulterior motives? And, as a practical matter, you want me to update my signature, or put up a new disclosure post, every time my portfolio changes?

• Deanjo

If article writers are shareholders, then that should be disclaimed (and personally would also prefer to see a top 10 advertising sponsor list as well.)

As far as community posters go, it really isn’t anyone’s business if they are or not.

• Forge

The advertising sponsor aspect is covered. Damage has always maintained a very strong separation between the business (ads) and work (reviews) sides of the company. Last I heard, there was almost no direct communication between the halves for this reason.

• Sam125

Yes, shareholders of related companies should also be included as they obviously have a vested interest once they become shareholders. The honest ones say that they hold stock in their favorite companies before they say or write anything, but most aren’t that honest.

To be quiet blunt, the trolls are more honest about hidden agendas and secret motives than your average internet commenter. lol

• paulWTAMU

Given my 401 K and Roth, I’m not even 100% sure WHICH companies I own stock in.

• UberGerbil

Exactly. And actually, for example, I was never more critical of Microsoft than when I owned MSFT (though I may actually still have some in a fund somewhere). I mean, it’s not like I was under the delusion that my comments on some random tech site were going to move the price on a stock with hundreds of millions of shares outstanding, but I did want them to do a better job. And that meant criticizing what they were messing up; once I got rid of MSFT, I couldn’t be bothered complaining about them.

• Jason181

Seems to me that would depend on the extent of the investment in relation to your net worth and/or earnings. But I really don’t see that happening, nor do I think it’s really appropriate.

• Goty

So what about that i7 920 and DX58SO Intel gave me four years ago? =P

• ClickClick5

Woo I’m safe. I do system integration and analysis for companies. If I were to market things here, it would be fairly easy to pick out.
    For example:

“Thats nice and all, but I personally installed over 800 Core-i7s and have recieved not one complaint.”

OR

“Never had a problem with Mushkin ram. Be aware of that Kingston though.”

Hum….now that this is brought up, I have noticed this.
    Good job Scott! TR is still the nicest tech haven online. 🙂

(The above examples were just typed right now, I have no evidence supporting any of the fictitious claims.)

• entropy13

[quote<]Woo I'm safe. I do [b<]dystem[/b<] integration and analysis for companies. If I were to market doings here, it would be fairly easy to pick out.[/quote<] Hmmm?

• ClickClick5

Wow. Fixed.

• entropy13

There’s another typo as well. lol

• ClickClick5

Typing on a touch screen phone is by far a weakness of mine.
            Ignore the lack of apostrophes.

Thanks for calling out my short falls! :p

• indeego

I guess lesson is don’t do system integration or analysis from that phone.

• MadManOriginal

Dude, if typing on your phone causes you to fall a short distance, you’re doing it wrong! lol 🙂

[url<]http://www.thefreedictionary.com/shortfalls[/url<]

• MadManOriginal

I SEE IT!

• anotherengineer

I’m a proclaimed marketer.

Buy Canadian stuff and help my economy.

Thanks

• ClickClick5

One canada car please. :p

Which oddly enough, Ford, Dodge and Chrystler all MAKE some 60% of their vehicles in Canada. Check the window stickers.

• indeego

Woah TIL ppl still buy Dodge and Chrysler.

• ClickClick5

Oops, Chevy too.

• chuckula

Where were you when the maple syrup went missing?

• anotherengineer

In my basement putting marked up price stickers on all the bottles for resale 😉

• glynor

I should add…

[quote<]But if we conduct an investigation and can make a link between you and a viral marketing operation, we are giving ourselves leeway to make the results of that inquiry public.[/quote<] Me thinks they already know, or think they know, something specific. Could be wrong, but this looks a bit like a "getting our ducks in a row" move. Not sure what it pertains to, but I say good.

• Scrotos

You wouldn’t have this issue if you weren’t biased against PhysX and CUDA!

/runs away, crying

• glynor

Thank you.

• rechicero

Great move. And thanks a lot 🙂

• MadManOriginal

I would change a few things to make industry affiliations stand out more:

1) Make the affiliation notice [b<]mandatory[/b<] in forum signatures. A single announcement post will get noticed by some users, but certainly not all - the TR forum is big! For more casual forum readers or those finding threads by web search it would be very easy to not know a member has an industry affiliation. Other members might point it out but might not, and why should they have to? 2) Make it mandatory to add a brief 'signature' to any front-page comment. Same thinking as above, but it's even more important here because I know there are people who use the front page a lot more often than the forums. 3) Specify monetary compensation more clearly. "...compensated in the form of [b<]money[/b<], product samples, attention, and other means." You technically cover everything with 'other means' but this would make it crystal clear.

• TurtlePerson2

I really like suggestion 1. Not everyone is going to see the “Hey, I’m a Shill” post.

• entropy13

The true believers of the Blessed Word of the Sacred Company of the Holy Apple are unfazed by these juvenile threats!

• Beelzebubba9

…name one Apple zealot here.

• BobbinThreadbare

I would say Adi, but I think he’s just a troll.

• sweatshopking

Deanjo? End user (though he’ll counter he has pc’s so he’s not a fanboy)?

• Beelzebubba9

…so we have more Windows Phone fanboys than Apple ones. 🙂

• anotherengineer

Here is my cellphone, it costs me about $1.50/yr. and comes with a phone book!!!!

[url<]http://www.campuspolice.utoronto.ca/Assets/Police+Digital+Assets/Attachments/bell-pay-phone.jpg[/url<]

• Deanjo

Oh I’m a huge fanboi of technology. Doesn’t matter who it is from and some companies just are better then others in some areas then others. They all have their strength and weaknesses. And yes I do use pretty much all of them on an equal basis.

• entropy13

Hopefully you’re using the term “zealot” in a positive note.

Adi

• 5150

Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi Adi

• superjawes

YOU FOOL! YOU DOOM US ALL!

• UberGerbil

I think you only actually die if you do that while looking in a mirror. Or into a FaceTime window.

• MadManOriginal

Maybe he has a glossy monitor. OH THE HORROR!

• Geistbar

You get a fate worse than death actually — you’re cursed to forever wear turtle necks and end every post with a line that only contains your name.

• entropy13

It’s not that bad.

Adi

• dashbarron

Best comment here.

• Sam125

+10 The unbelievers shall be smote with the wrath equal to the mass of The Wozniak! Let the heathens be warned!

• rrr

Indeed, they will patent that entire site and sue you.

• ludi

Disclosure: I work in the electrical power industry. All efforts by me to promote the use and acquisition of electronic gee-gaws are self-interested. You have been warned.

(No, seriously: the TR staff and moderators do excellent work at policing the forums and the discussions here at TR are top notch. Your efforts, though often criticized or unacknowledged, are part of what keeps this website great. Thanks!)

• Decelerate

Wow, I never even noticed such things, at least not here…

• BobbinThreadbare

It’s hard to separate the fanboys from the marketers sometimes.

I think we’ve had some for both Nvidia and AMD/ATI though.

• ClickClick5

The troll would just say “AMD sucks. Go Nvidia!”

The marketer would say, “AMD is no good. But (my or the) Nvidia 560 is a fantastic card in all respects.”

Trolls are normally short spoken and the only intent is to start a war.

• Decelerate

So if I say “iPhone Rules!” I’m a fanboy, but if I say “My iPhone 5 is awesome” I’m a marketer? That’s a mighty thin line to cross…

[i<]Reads Cyril's post about his iPhone4...[/i<] Oh, that marketer is going to get it! Edit: Note that I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to cell operators and owns no cell phone, not even a dumb one...

• ClickClick5

I went from having no cell to having two forced onto me. You are a saint.

• superjawes

There was also can-o-tuna, who ripped on Scott’s articles fairly recently, who made a good example. He made all this fuss about excluding Dirt Showdown results (because AMD had worked directly with the developer on lighting effects, skewing the results heavily in AMD’s favor).

Fanboys are pretty visible because they tend to show butthurt more often.

• willmore

So, does being a “The Way It Was Meant To Be Played” game disqualify it the same way?

• halbhh2

That’s because you are not paranoid. I’m disappointed with the site, because “fanboy” is a demeaning label, no matter how you slice it.

It is simply name calling, just like on a playground in 1rst or 2nd grade. But I’m not 7 or 8 anymore….so it’s not really my thing.

I’ve enjoyed the site for many years, and certainly brought people over by recommending it. I won’t anymore.

• LafInBob

Maybe I’m missing the point, but I must say that I think you’re overreacting here, and I’m no fan of name calling either. Scott isn’t engaging in or perpetrating “name-calling” here so much as using shorthand to help delineate the abuse the TechReport would like to further limit (i.e. stealth viral marketing). I’m reminded of Potter Stewart’s famous concurring opinion where he admits that he might not be able to define obscenity, “but I know it when I see it”.

• esterhasz

I must also admit that I find the term “fanboy” annoying and do not use it, but not because it is demeaning but rather because it is useless. There are many different reasons to care about a product and I am simply not interested in the hard distinction between rational and irrational motivations.

We are long, long gone from a society where objective needs can be clearly identified. Aesthetic preferences, moral outrage over a company’s behavior, political preferences, rooting for the underdog, or simply supporting a company like a sports team are part of how consumer culture works now.

In the end, isn’t it equally fetishistic to run gaming tests at low resolutions to “isolate” CPU performance, although this scenario will never occur anywhere? Measuring frames “inside the second”, to see how well simulated machine guns splash simulated mutants on screen?

Quite simply, we’re all just big children here, maybe some a bit more childish than others, but in the end…

• chuckula

Oh man.. they’re onto me! I know: I’ll just start shilling for the opposite side to throw off suspicion now. Suckers!

I’m really glad I don’t have one of those conditions where I type out and post my own internal mental dialog for everyone to see.

• cegras

You aren’t an intel shill???

• chuckula

If I’m an Intel shill then you’re an AMD shill.
        (Oh and I’ll see you at the softball game later).

• cegras

I can’t remember the last time I bothered to make any comment in any TR thread, unless it was to note how tired I am of seeing you say “OH GOD WHERE ARE THOSE ARM DOOMSAYERS NOW??”

• Arclight

I welcome it, unless it turns into a witch hunt.

• chuckula

[quote<]unless it turns into a witch hunt.[/quote<] What... are you implying that you weigh as much as a duck?

• UberGerbil

Well, we know that what also floats is very small rocks, so he might be that instead.

Anyway, witch hunts can be [i<]fun[/i<]. Unless, of course, you're a witch. You're not a witch, are you?

• ClickClick5

Do we need our larger scales?

• Srsly_Bro

I’ve seen a witch hunt or two go badly for the accused “witch”.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g[/url<]

• dashbarron

It would be more amusing if it did.

• pcgeek86

I am a hopeless Android fanboy.

• Helmore

I guess that all started with Star Wars.

Which one do you like best then? C-3PO or R2-D2?

• willmore

R2-D2, of course, he was so foul they bleeped everything he said!

• BobbinThreadbare

I was always partial to IG-88

• cynan

How exactly was R2-D2 and android?

I’m not the biggest Star Wars fan, but I don’t remember them being called anything other than “droids” (which I don’t believe was supposed to be short for android).

• tbone8ty

I am a hopeless AMD fan lol

• flip-mode

Good move.

• pedro

Yep, it’s a nice thought but realistically it ain’t gonna work I fear…

• UberGerbil

It doesn’t have to work perfectly; if it curbs the excessive cases (which are easiest to detect), it’s done its job.

• willmore

Won’t they just create throwaway accounts? I’m all for less commercially motivated shilling, but I don’t see how this will help. Maybe if the concern is a long time member being ‘vulnerable’ to seduction by a vendor, then I can see how this might help.

• UberGerbil

TR deals with throwaway accounts for spam every day.

• willmore

By deleting them and wiping their comments after a few days? By that point the articles are pretty cold. We need a ‘report this post’ button to speed up that process.

• Geistbar

I’d like a report this post type of option too. Sometimes something 100% inappropriate gets posted, and there’s no simple and proper way to have it dealt with.

• grantmeaname

LOL, Amazing you have been here so I long and I wonder how many THREAD CRAPPING you have done.

That’s me, a viral thread crapper!

(edit: does that include the obnoxious linking to gadgetgear so you can look at a public Newegg coupon code? Affiliates, they drive me to drink)

• BIF

[quote<]That's me, a viral thread crapper! [/quote<] LOL...Let's just don't be spreading typhoid around... Ok, now this thread has officially gone into the [s<]*******[/s<] crapper... Edit: So THAT'S what it looks like when you apply strikethrough to asterisks...