Here’s the first Windows 8 TV ad

With Windows 8’s retail launch less than two weeks away, Microsoft has kicked the PR machine into full gear. On Sunday, the company revealed its first TV ad for the new operating system. According to the Wall Street Journal’s Digits blog, the new ad "jockeyed during Sunday’s NFL telecasts." (I don’t watch sports, so I’ll take their word for it.)

Here’s it is, straight from the official WindowsVideos YouTube channel:

Note the device selection. Microsoft opens with a convertible concept, then moves on to touchscreen laptops and desktops, only devoting a brief amount of airtime to conventional tablets. That seems pretty clever to me. Microsoft is showing folks devices they likely haven’t had a chance to experience before (not at home, anyway). That turns Windows 8 from a me-too product into something new and intriguing—something that warrants a closer, more hands-on look, possibly at the nearest Best Buy store come October 26.

There’s certainly going to be a wealth of touch-enabled PCs ready for Windows 8’s big debut. We’ve seen introductions from pretty much all of the major players in the industry. Acer, for example, unveiled both touch ultrabooks and an x86 convertible tablet just last week. We’ve also seen some more exotic devices, like Lenovo’s Yoga series.

I would appear to have pasted that into the wrong tab.

Move along now, nothing to see here….

• Krogoth

I can’t wait for the delicious tears of butt devastation to pour in.

• Wirko

At 0:11, the ad briefly shows tiles (in the Xbox video app) that actually look very nice, with black text next to thumbnails on white background. Mr. Start screen designer, pretty please, could you transplant this colour scheme to the Start screen itself? Thanks. Alternatively, to everyone’s benefit, the install process could ask about the user’s age during the installation, compare it with twelve (or maybe EIGHT), and act accordingly.

• moog

Here’s a new ad for Surface, it’s a little weird, but nice work!

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mSckyoAMHg[/url<] After our I'm a PC ads, I was skeptical of our revival. But with the IE9 ad, first Surface ad, and these, I like to think we're getting a fitting makeover to grace our hard work and maybe we have a fighting chance!

• moog

One last one [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1EPDlwlums&feature=share&list=UUGS474QoP8SCnSo6hOCaayA[/url<]

• Madman

Awwww, people smudging their desktop monitors. So sweet…

• peterbazooka

Great now I have toss out all my Eagles of Death Metal records…

• RhysAndrews

Windows 8 is a necessary step for Microsoft. Not everybody will be happy.
    Personally, I don’t use the start menu for much – I put my common apps in the start bar. And when I do use the Start Menu, I usually know what I’m looking for.. so I can just type it in search. Windows 8 seems quite good at quick search results. So if you don’t like metro, you only have to use it for this..

Press windows key
    Type app you want
    Press enter (as Windows usually finds what you want as the first result)

Cool trailer.

• kroker

I’m just curious, why will the EU allow them to force you to use their own App Store when they weren’t even allowed to install IE without asking you?

• tootercomputer

I may be wrong, but an OS that allows for input via keyboard, mouse, voice, and touchscreen does not seem like a bad idea. In fact, it sounds like a very good idea, as it creates an OS platform that can be used across a variety of hardware platforms and also creates so many interesting app possibilities.

I still recall those who commented disparagingly about the mouse, insisting that the keyboard was a superior input device and that the mouse was a toy. I also recall those who thought a GUI was “cute” but frivolous and that text-based computing was for serious computer users.

I have never particularly been a MS fan, but I thought they did a good job with Win 7 and, for once, MS may be far-sighted by pushing Win 8. IMHO, touch is here to stay.

• sschaem

The issue is when core function are design for touch first and just retro fitted to work with a mouse.
      Then you get weird operation processes. The start screen for example is a pure touch screen design for tablet display.
      Its functional with a mouse/keyboard on a desktop, but its not the way it would have been designed for a monitor + keyboard/mouse work environment

Making a UI driven by multitouch finger for small talbet and phone screen VS large display multiscreen monitor with mouse+keyboard is nearly impossible.
      Sometime it can be done, but its always one of the other platform that will suffer.

• sweatshopking

[quote<] MS is out of the pro business [/quote<] they're going to abandon office? who is the corporate world going to switch to? apple? linux? it'll be a LOOONNNNGGGG time before they're out of the corporate world. It's not even likely. the new server is getting solid reviews, with ars loving it (i realize that they sell like 3 server licenses a year). nm the rest of the stuff they do, and will continue to do. you think the entire world is going to migrate away from ALL of the tools and software MS has them using because they don't like the start screen? i don't think that's going to happen, nor does MS, or they wouldn't be going this route. they might be focusing more on their consumer products, but i haven't seen them abandoning any of their pro support, just tweaking the start menu. i really don't know why that has you guys so hot to trot.

• indeego

“My take is with that move, MS is out of the pro business and will focus on the consumer sector.”

I have this exact opinion, only the [i<]exact opposite[/i<] of it. Microsoft is ALWAYS thinking business first. It's their core business, and always has been.

• bcronce

The idea of a car is great, but that doesn’t make the Pinto a good car.

I guess I’m saying the implementation and execution of win8 could have been better. Like others have stated before, You may want to wait until Win9.

• tootercomputer

Let’s see how Win 8 falls out first. I mean, we have yet to see the final version. I’ll be the first to admit that MS could screw this up royally, or it may take a few tweaks. Hopefully, Win 8 will not be a “Vista” but it might. It’s a daunting task what MS is trying to do. I h ave Win 8 RC on an old C2D laptop and it is very fast and for an RC works extremely well. I will upgrade the RC to a full version when Win 8 comes out, but probably will hold onto all my Win 7 desktop systems at home for now.

• burntham77

That is an interesting take on it. It’s an OS in transition. Perhaps in two years, touch screen monitors will the norm even on desktops instead of a rarity.

• BobbinThreadbare

[quote<]an OS that allows for input via keyboard, mouse, voice, and touchscreen does not seem like a bad idea.[/quote<] Windows Vista and 7 both do all these things.

• sweatshopking

but poorly.

• trackerben

Heh. They should have named the RT iOnly 8u.

• Meadows

No, you didn’t eat me.

• trackerben

I didn’t hate u either.

• Arclight

Damn it, Program is not responding. Ctrl Shift Esc End process. There fixed.

• sschaem

This does absolutely nothing for me.

The message might as well be “Windows, for the rest of them”

‘them’ being teenage girl & toddlers.

I think MS already accepted that Linux will be the OS of choice for productivity task,
    and windows is now reduced to a full screen app launcher…

Well until then, its “Back to the future” with Windows7.

edit: yes, I sound bitter.. because I’m bitter. I feel like MS just dumped me for the next better demographic. I’m not good enough for MS anymore ;(

• mcnabney

Can they even call it Windows anymore when the preferred UI is Metro – which runs everything full screen?

• sweatshopking

or not full screen. there are ways to run multiple apps at once.

• trackerben

I’ll let everyone in on a secret power in Win8: <Ctrl-Esc>
        It blows your lame desktop away with Start.

Here’s another: <Alt-Tab>
        It bangs Start away, THEN keeps it from popping back. Korosho!

• sschaem

Great if you are toddler and are using a touch based display.

This version of windows was not designed with regular computer user as a target.
        Its foremost goal is to please the casual PC user. turn on, click on the facebook icon, turn off.

Maybe not for the angry bird generation, but people that like to get things done windows8 is not the right OS.

• indeego

[quote<]> I used Windows8 for aprox 6 month on my main computer, and I can tell you moving back to Windows7 felt like a massive usability upgrade.[/quote<] So you got stuff done for 6 months, or you just wallowed in nothingness? I'm confused.

• Meadows

False dichotomy. There’s a gray area in between. You can have a noticeable difference between “getting stuff done” and “getting stuff done better”.

• Meadows

Wow, multitasking. That’s a new feature right there.

• burntham77

One might see the tiles as little windows.

• BoBzeBuilder

Windows 8 is going to rule. Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate.

• sschaem

People that will enjoy windows 8 are showen in the commercial.. toddlers and teenage girls.
      “Great for finger painting and looking at colored squared full screen.” Said Giana

What you didn’t see in the back, the dad pulling his hair off trying to de-install windows8 on his workstation.

• Grigory

That made me chuckle! It’s true, too. 😀

• Ari Atari

I like how the commercial shows mostly things that use touch, because every desktop/laptop has touch just waiting to be used.

• rrr

Yet there are deluded nutjobs on these forums telling you that people LOVE using touchscreen, on desktop and laptops too.

• TheEmrys

You must be thinking of other forums…..

• Ari Atari

I’ve actually been thinking that a touchscreen on a laptop isn’t a bad idea. One of my math teachers has an old touchscreen laptop and projects what he writes on it onto the whiteboard. It works really well. I’m just saying that what Microsoft seems to be marketing isn’t actually available on most people’s devices.

• cynan

There are definitely niche applications, like the one you describe, where a touchscreen on a laptop may be useful.

Unfortunately, for the vast majority of stuff people use a laptop/desktop for, a touchscreen just isn’t necessary. It would be all well and good if they didn’t cost any more than traditional laptops, but the touchscreen laptops launched so far that I’ve seen seem to be commanding at least a 10-20% premium. I certainly don’t want to pay $1000 for an otherwise $800 laptop, just so I can smudge up my screen to launch and control a media player rather than using traditional input devices.

Maybe one day touchscreens on laptops/desktops will make sense for the masses, but it sure doesn’t look like that day is today. It’s all well and good to say that it is laudable to design an OS that offers seamless integration across mobile and desktop computing, but that still doesn’t change the fact that a touch interface is pretty useless on a desktop/laptop for most applications.

Perhaps Windows 8 is a stepping stone to that time, but for now I can’t quite get over the feeling that it is little more than a blatant marketing attempt by Microsoft to get some “street cred” by clamoring clumsily at the coattails of the tablet phenomenon, largely instigated by Apple. For most of the past decade Microsoft has desperately wanted to be a cool trendsetter like Apple, and if this prompts them to be more creative and innovative than that’s a good thing. However, pushing a less than useful interface (in most situations) down their customer’s throats that commands a premium for requisite hardware (ie, laptops with touchscreens) isn’t really ideal.

• superjawes

Having the ability there doesn’t mean you have to use it all the time. It does, however, allow you to use touch if you have a compatible screen and an application to use it.

• Ricardo Dawkins

10…9….8….8….8…..8

• moose17145

crap… windows froze up and got stuck in an infinite loop in the process again.

• Auril4

Windows is so 2006. Time to move on.

• Arclight

try so 1992

• sschaem

Time to move on, yes.. not backward.

• Mystic-G

Went back and re-watched the Windows 7 commercial that was well known before it came out.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zHNp-5yNKaE[/url<] *thinks about Windows 8 commercial referencing quotes regarding it*

• leor

Windows 8 has lots of angry words – cue speed metal death music

“Valve’s Gabe Newell says ‘Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone'”

The Flaws of “Common Knowledge”: Why Waiting on Windows 8 Might Not Be Useful

Windows 8 review: Yes, it’s that bad
      A desktop OS for tablets and a tablet OS for desktops, Windows 8 is guaranteed to disappoint nearly everyone

Intel CEO: Windows 8 Needs ‘Improvements’

– Those are from searching “windows 8 review quotes” in google, funny stuff.

• danny e.

So, there was a malfuntion in the countdown and we’re stuck with 8.

• dpaus

‘Failure to Launch’??

• Deanjo

Just do as the Rolling Stones directed in the Win 95 campain. “Start me up”………. Oh wait…..

• Sargent Duck

The ad is clever enough that I think it will intrique the mass market and get them interested. As Mourmain pointed out, considering some of their past ads, this is actually quite good (although I really did like the “I’m a PC ad”. If Apple asked them to stop running them then you know they’re good)

• pedro

I still reckon the Ballmer Windows 1.0 was the best one they ever did.

___

I have no affiliation and I’m not a fanboy.

• Arag0n

That is a pearl that pretty phew people know ever happen. Windows 95 with ballmer and gates dancing roxbory isn’t pretty far neither.

• indeego

You are, however, a hipster.

• pedro

Nice.

• dpaus

I didn’t see this one, but last night’s season premiere of ‘Walking Dead’ was saturated (in our market, anyway) with ads for Internet Explorer.

• Mourmain

Well, considering Microsoft’s track record in ad disasters, this is freaking fabulous. Otherwise, yeah, it’s ok… It doesn’t show anything revolutionary. Lots of touching and swiping, and all that tablety stuff. Except for the girl painting with unrealistically (i.e. fake) low latencies, not much there.

EDIT: Speaking of fake swipes, those fruit ninja swipes happen before they even touch the surface, and in the wrong locations. They’re clearly swiping over a video. A bit sad.

• cygnus1

supposedly MS did a fair amount of work on drastically reducing touch latency, at least according to the building windows 8 blog. we may be surprised. maybe they’ve actually pulled off an experience like that

• Mourmain

Let’s hope so, then. But it’s more of a hardware thing than a software one.

• mcnabney

Now now. They did give us Lauren.