Rumor: Mini iPad, 13” Retina MacBook to launch on October 23

Apple will unleash bite-sized versions of two of its products next week, if we’re to believe the folks at 9to5Mac. Quoting "a consistently reliable source at a high-profile U.S. retailer," the site revealed yesterday that Apple will unveil a 13" version of its Retina MacBook Pro alongside the iPad Mini at an upcoming launch event.

That event is scheduled for October 23, according to All Things D. That site was tipped off about the date by "people familiar with Apple’s plans." Those people believe the event will be invitation-only, per Apple custom, and may take place at the Town Hall Auditorium in Apple’s Cupertino, California headquarters.

In related news, a German blogger claims to have obtained a list of iPad Mini models from an informant who also wishes to remain anonymous. The list appears to come from a retailer’s stock management system, and it shows no fewer than 16 different variants of the device. The cheapest one features Wi-Fi connectivity, 8GB of storage capacity, and a €249 price tag, while the priciest model apparently has cellular connectivity (not clear whether that’s 3G or 4G), 64GB of storage, and a whopping €649 price tag.

Simply swapping that currency sign should give us a rough idea of how much the iPad Mini device may cost in the United States. For reference, the new iPad currently starts at €479 in Germany, while U.S. pricing begins at $499.

• link626

2560 x 1600 resolution.
    damn.

You can always count on apple to steal microsoft’s thunder. On the oct 26, no one will care that Windows RT will be released.

On October 26-
    Crickets at the microsoft store.
    a bunch of sheep at the Apple store.

• Decelerate

I want to see the damn reviews for that 13″ Macbook Pro, and evaluate whether I’ll get it or not.

• grantmeaname

16 different models of the new iPad mini, you say? It seems un-Apple-like, unless they mean a universe of 16 configuration options.

Let’s see: 8/16/32/64GB sizes (4) * Wifi/Wifi+3G (2) * 2 colors?

• glynor

-2 colors
      +Verizon/CDMA vs AT&T GSM

EDIT: I’m also very skeptical about the 8GB size, but I could be wrong. Doesn’t much matter to me as I’m not going to buy any 7-8″ tablet anyway. But it’ll be interesting to see what they do…

• glynor

Actually… That doesn’t work either. Hmmm… I’m a bit more skeptical about this whole rumor now. The German “leak” only shows one SKU for each Cellular model. Perhaps this is the one they unify the GSM and CDMA (skipping LTE)? If so, then it’d work.

If not (if the CDMA and GSM models are still separate), and then there are three storage sizes, that’s 9 total in a single color, which would be 18 in black and white (the most likely two colors), so that exceeds the rumor’s total.

So… If this rumor is true (maybe, maybe not) then it means that it is the first cellular device Apple will have shipped that does both AT&T and Verizon on the same SKU, which would be interesting. I think that means it isn’t LTE (which is what I’d expect).

• glynor

So… Yep.

The German “leak” is almost certainly bunk. AppleInsider (down from traffic) posted a list of 24 SKUs this morning, which seems to make much more sense.

[url<]http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/16/part-numbers-reveal-apples-plan-for-24-different-ipad-mini-models/[/url<] EDIT: The MacRumors analysis is off though. The four base SKUs probably correlate to different wireless capabilities: WiFi-only, AT&T/Canadian GSM, World GSM, and Verizon CDMA. And the "Good, Better, Best" is probably three tiers of storage (I'm guessing 16/32/64 like all the other new iOS products). And then, lastly, A/B is White or Black. This makes much more sense than the German leak's 16 total. Hopefully they do go with the 16/32/64 sizes, as 8GB is too low for new device.

• trackerben

If this is not false then I guess an iPad TV isn’t coming this year. A radical new product which replaces Apple TV would come in two or tree functional variations, at most.

But even if not false, each of those list prices should be at least $50 less. It’s hard to justify a smaller-screened 32GB iPad 3G for $549 when a 16GB iPad2 3G goes for $529. Unless this “mini” comes with a smartcover with keyboard? Or comes with an iOS version of MS Office to compete with the Surface RT?

• MadManOriginal

I have a feeling they are meant to replace the iPad 2 as the ‘low end’ iPad. It would make a lot of sense if they have the same 1024×768 resolution as rumored, and they could use the 32nm A5 that randomly comes in the iPad 2 as well.

• tay

Damn, I wish I’d waited for the Retina MBP. Bought a 13″ MBA because the 15″ retina MBP is too pricey for me.
    iPad mini will be a HUGE hit if it’s 249 for 8 GB. Would’ve waited for this had I not bought the retina iPad 3.

• xii

So… many… regrets…

• Wildchild

I think you missed the € part.

• sweatshopking

oh man, i can’t wait to line up for both of these! well worth it!

• FormCode

My sarcasm detector… It’s over 9000 !

• willmore

Actually, in the Japanese version, it’s 8000, but they found 9000 matched the lip flaps when doing the English dub….No, no, no, wait, I see what you’re doing here! I’m not gonna fall for that again!

[url<]http://pbfcomics.com/71/[/url<]

• Hattig

Looks like Apple has the money sacks open again waiting for more money to fall in from selling 56GB of flash for $300 (over the 8GB model).

My thoughts are that people looking for a cheaper tablet will also look at other devices that are still cheaper, in particular the Nexus 7.

• tay

You realize that the 649 model has 3G/4G as well right? And that Google also charges $50 for a 8 GB upgrade. It’s not like Apple is charging $50 for these upgrades while everyone else is charging $20.

• Hattig

64GB no cellular: 549
        8GB no cellular: 249
        Difference = 300

(euros or dollars, it won’t differ that much).

Google charges $50 for 8GB upgrade (and already charges far less up front, albeit the display is slightly smaller – although possibly higher res), and Apple is charging $100.

However, I am suspecting they’re placeholder prices. Maybe the real prices will be more reasonable.

• glynor

Assuming the display on the new iPad Air (or whatever they call it) is as rumored, the Nexus 7’s screen isn’t just “slightly smaller” it is ~40% smaller.

Tablet screen size comparison: [url<]http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/07/rumoured-ipad-minis-size-compared-to-ipad-nexus-7-and-kindle-fire/[/url<]

• willmore

And yet the Nexus 7 has a higher resolution screen.

• glynor

I didn’t say it was better.

Just not only “slightly bigger”. Remains to be seen which has the “better” screen (resolution isn’t everything).

• MadManOriginal

Anything to make Apple seem better, reminds me a little bit of the PowerPC ‘supercomputer’ days.

Apple was pushing PPI and resolution hard in their marketing, but of course if they can’t do that versus 1280×720 screens (if the iPad 7″ has a 1024×768 screen) they’ll promote absoute size. *sigh*…marketing.

• tay

You’re right. I didn’t look carefully enough. I figured (wrongly) that Apple was charging the same as everyone else.

• Beelzebubba9

I’ll bet that the iPad Mini outsells every other non-Apple tablet 2:1 come this holiday season. Apple owns the market and a $50 price premium over the base N7 seems oddly reasonable considering the iPad’s dominance in the market.