Interested in writing for TR?

TR is looking for writers, and I’d like to first search our audience before widening the net. The fact is we’re a little different from a lot of the tech sites out there. We’re sticklers for detail, and our standards are higher than is typical for the industry. Regular readers should be familiar with our vaguely OCD nature by now. I don’t expect the average freelancer to get it, though.

Just browsing through the comments and forums tells me TR has plenty of readers who combine the technical savvy, writing skills, and underlying passion for technology that we look for in new staff. If you’re one of ’em, and if you’d like to take a stab at writing for TR, shoot me an email.

To start, we’re looking for folks capable of writing blog-style articles around 700-1000 words. Applicants need not have any formal experience. They must, however, know how to write—and I don’t just mean stringing together a few sentences that’ll get past Word’s grammar checker. We’re going to need to see examples of your work, whether it’s articles that have been published elsewhere, or something you’ve whipped up to show off your writing chops.

Obviously, employees of the companies we cover (and their marketing surrogates) aren’t eligible to write for TR. We’re not crazy about fanboys, either. Making a reasoned argument rooted in fact is one thing, but that’s entirely different than going off on an unhinged rant.

• Dissonance

So, my inbox is flooded with emails from prospective writers. I’ve gone through most of the submissions, and the talent pool is deeper than I expected. Unfortunately, we’re extremely busy through next week. Windows 8 is coming, of course, and there are a few other big-ticket items we can’t tell you about just yet. Caffeine stockpiling has begun, and the next two weekends are pretty much a write-off for me.

We probably won’t be reaching out to writers until the week of the 29th, when the dust will hopefully have settled. Don’t panic if you don’t hear anything in the next week. I’ll be replying to everyone who applied, so you’ll hear from me eventually.

Thanks for all the great submissions!

• Fighterpilot

Actually I think a “Fanboy Blog” page might be a good idea.
    I could come up with some pretty good smackdowns aimed at the NVidiots at this site.
    Naturally I could also moderate myself and any replies if you would let me ban people should they disagree too much with me.
    I wouldn’t abuse that power.
    Email me as to when you’d like me to start.

• aim18
    • entropy13

Well, I sent an email now. Should it be formal at all, or is the informal email I sent sufficient? And as I’ve said, I’ll whip up the sample blog post ASAP.

• Dissonance

Got your email–no need for formality.

• dashbarron

Email sent.

Nice opportunity.

• oldog

I’m not an engineer, physicist or coder but I believe I “understand” tech and have a good grasp of English.

I am a huge fan of this site and while intimidated somewhat by the level of discourse here, much of the editorial content is not so highly technical that I don’t feel I couldn’t contribute in a meaningful way.

To wit, I’m interested. Where do I sign up?

• bandannaman

He, uh, wrote that in the post.

• oldog

Doh! (Slaps head).

• Thomas Ryel

And what if all my previous content isn’t in English? Should I just write an example of the type of pieces I’m interested in writing?

Have been following TR since 2001-2002 (though I just registered due to this post) and been a part of the online tech news world since summer 2001. I’ve written plenty of stuff, mostly news stories and a few articles. I got plenty of insight in the business – hardware that is and not so much gaming.

I’ve always wanted to make the change from standard news to a more personal writingstyle where I can use the experience I’ve build up but have never really taken the step or been giving the chance from where I normally write. So the biggest challenge for me would probably be the change from my native language to English and my normally very narrow focus on the hardwaremarket. I’ll put something together this weekend and hopefully it will be useable.

• rrr

nope.avi

• indeego

Dumbest meme ever!

• rrr

nope.gif

• entropy13

ok.jpg

• TaBoVilla

The most well versed and articulated TR commenter has always been Meadows =)

Honestly, you guys should do this like once every month or so, have some of the old timers write a blog post or something, difficult to organize but guarantied awesome.

I would love reading thoughts on current stuff by Krogoth, NeelyCam, SSK, derFunkenstein, Indeego, Belsam123, dpaus, ronch, etc..

• Bensam123

I resent this comment!

• entropy13

Because he didn’t mention you, but rather your twin Belsam123?

• Bensam123

Belsam123 is actually a user?

I thought he just mispelled my name… I know there is a Belsamber or something like that.

• destroy.all.monsters

Between Meadows dry wit and take no prisoners attitude he’d be my first choice (with or without a Point-Counterpoint with Krogoth).

Hell, I’d probably pay to hear them in a podcast.

Oh you so don’t want to read anything by me. 😆 Thanks for the compliment. 😀

• leor

I’m still waiting for the blog from DUKE NUKED!

• tfp

Thinking about it, I’d like to see a blog by Vrock as well.

• Airmantharp

• XDravond

Tech interested, yes.
    Lot’s of passion in technology and valid thoughts, yes
    Writing skill, yes
    700-1000 words a week, sure could do
    Good at arguments, yup specially if I’m interested in the subject..
    Fanboy, not really of any camp….
    Not in the companies you cover, yep
    Examples of works, does it have to be in English?,,,
    International is OK, good..

Oh wait I need to write coherent? And do it on a regular basis… Damn, there’s no way you guys would ever be stupid enough to hire me then… 😉
    Would’ve probably been fun though….

• juampa_valve_rde

Im feeling the same, inspiration comes an goes, but when you have to write professionally in a regular basis the thing gets crazy harder.

• Dissonance

Wow, over 100 comments and a bunch of emails sitting in my inbox. I’m seeing a bunch of questions along the same lines, so I’ll try to answer them all here.

-While it would be easier if you’re located in North America, that’s not a requirement.

-This isn’t a full-time gig; we’re looking for folks to contribute one or two blog-style articles per month.

-Pay is on a per-article basis.

-Blog-style article does not mean in-depth review. That’s a whole other class of content, with its own requirements, and it doesn’t really fit within 700-1000 words.

-Writers should be able to come up with their own ideas for topics, but we’re happy to provide some direction there.

-Our current blog section should give you some idea of the sorts of articles that work well in that context.

• Bensam123

Gaming?

• Dissonance

Our blog posts are often about games.

• Kurlon

Wait, this is a paid position?! Now I KNOW I was submitting a poor resume, I figured this was a freelance, as in for free opportunity to get exposure via TR, not actually getting cash in return.

Nice! Congrats to whomever lands the gig.

• ronch

If it’s ok for folks who work for companies to sign up, I think TR can hire JF_AMD. He writes pretty ‘informative’ blogs helping people choose the right server platforms. ^_^

(In case somebody doesn’t get it, I’m being sarcastic here. LOL)

• alloyD

[quote<]I don't expect the average freelancerer to get it, though.[/quote<] I'm fairly certain that the average freelancerer won't get it. 😉

• entropy13

The average freelancerest would get it, however.

• Scrotos

I could review hardware based on how well it works with vintage computers.

“This GTX 680 did not work in my 486 system because it did not have an ISA interface. In addition, in preparation for this review I tried to look for Windows 3.1 drivers and was dismayed to find none available. This is also a non-starter for the Mac IIci as not only is it not in the proper NuBus format but it also has no drivers for Mac OS 7.6.1. All-in-all, there is little to no compelling reason to recommend the GTX 680 over the Mac’s built-in video or the Diamond Stealth24 in the 486 system. Please join me next week as I lament the fact that there are no updated video cards that work in the G5-based Mac towers.”

• Forge

A year ago, absolutely. Today, I have no time. 🙁

I must go, I have to find out if ESXi can be convinced to share out it’s datastore via NFS. 🙁

• ronch

I wonder why a lot of gerbils here are nominating for their favorite gerbils. I don’t recall Geoff mentioning anything about nominating…

• vargis14

I have the time and would love to be able to do it. I am sure everyone would love to read what i have to say LOL. I could even have a fancy writers name.
    Give me a test project.

“Let me drive, I won’t make a fool out of you”

• oldDummy

It’s easier to just read articles.
    Would have to morph into a youngSmarty to boot….somehow.
    ahh….no thank you, not at this time.
    but thanks for the offer.
    😉

• ronch

So will this make me earn $5,000/month working from home? 😀

• Arclight

Yes, but in monopoly money.

Srsly though, if i was capable i’d do it for free at first just to get my name out there, To get articles posted here i feel like i should pay them not the other way around since, as mentioned bellow by a TR staff memeber, they only require the new guy/girl to post, at least, an article per month.

• Bensam123

I’ve thought about writing for a game review or a technical website, but I don’t think I could maintain the interest to pound out more then a couple articles. Video games are one thing, but some technology is downright bland. It still amazes me how you guys make some of these articles quite exciting. In order to make it really exciting you need a lot of information and connections too rather then simply rewriting what is posted on the box. Like including speculation (before and after), dirty details, and long term outlooks (like on future developments)… Asking more questions then there are answers.

It’s going to be really hard to find someone that fits TRs writing style. Cyril does the news page, but it’ll still be quite awhile before he makes his way out of apprenticeship. Scott/Geoff have really set the bar high.

Instead of simply asking for some past work, why don’t you give people a topic to write about. Set a limitation on the number of pages (not a minimum, a maximum). Tell them they can include links, references, or props where they see fit and see what people give you back. Although this may already be planned at a later stage it’s better then a bunch of people saying ‘I have X background, Y years, and I’m awesome because of Z’.

Perhaps give them a couple criteria they will be critiqued on too.

• bandannaman

I’m more than fully employed right now, but I’m curious about how this part of the “review website” business works.
    [list<] [*<] Who has the initiative -- TR or the writer? i.e. does this writer just write about whatever, or is he/she assigned a topic, a word count, and a due date? [/*<][*<] Is this targeted at writing about "current affairs in technology" or are you planning to mail review hardware to someone for exhaustive analysis? Or does the writer have to go ferret out such things and offer them to TR? (see the first bullet) [/*<][*<] Is payment per word, per article, per snappy zinger, per pun, per is-not-impress, ...? (There [i<]is[/i<] payment, right?) [/*<][*<] Is this a freelancing position or a staff position? (same question as above I guess)[/*<] [/list<] I guess these are basically "what's the difference between a TR writer and a tech industry journalist?"

Same situation.

I would be interested in applying if I wasn’t already busy enough at work. Getting the odd five or ten minutes to browse TR during the day and posting a quick comment is very different to writing a 1000-word, carefully researched article.

I was asked to do a couple of articles on parametric CAD after I graduated as an engineer, and I wouldn’t want to regularly commit to doing that on top of a 50-hour working week.

[i<]edit: More detail on the scope of the articles would be useful too; people that actively follow smartphones may have far less interest in things like servers and storage.[/i<]

• Meadows

Does this position have locational requirements?

• Scrotos

Prone? No, wait, that’s for auditioning actresses, isn’t it.

• entropy13

Should I “shoot you an email”? Examples of my work are a short essay on the territorial dispute between the Philippines and China, as well as my attempt for NaNoWriMo last year. And also a fanfic on one of the anime I was watching last year…in other words, actually have nothing to do with technology. LOL

You could check out my wordpress if anybody wants to, they’re in there anyway. And I’m using the same username there.

• Sam125

Cool, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know such an awesome website is doing well enough to expand their staff. I would love to apply and I just might do so if I’m feeling inspired enough. 🙂

• Arclight

I’d be amazed if you find someone from your audience since i presume that all those who qualify, already have a job. But i can only be greatfull for offering us this opportunity before going elsewhere.

• lilbuddhaman

Pardon my inherit cynicism, but I fear this means that TR is looking to expand…and with expansion comes change, and with change, things I don’t like. And I don’t like things I don’t like.

• Flying Fox

I fear that the existing group of “new-ish” bloggers like the MacHole, the case review dude, and others may have quitted en masse.

• Darkmage

Quitted?

• NeelyCam

C’mon – english is hard. There’s, like, no logic in grammar

• Meadows

Of course there is. They even teach it in schools and the like.

You have schools?

• Bensam123

Don’t fear change simply because it’s change.

• lilbuddhaman

The web is getting more and more annoying daily, thanks to HTML5 (yay now websites can give me unblockable popups again!) and the tightening profit margins.

• designerfx

I fail to understand why HTML5 is the cause of poor websites? Why are you even going to websites with unblockable popups?

• lilbuddhaman

Because TR links them in the shortbread. “pop ups” include those little ads that fly out of their box, those little “will you fill out our survey” notifications, the entire tabs that come out from any side of the page with “content” links, etc etc. HTML5 enables all of these things, while also preventing the user from easily blocking them. The gawker network, WSJ, NYP, many retail stores, heck even Nasa uses them. They’re annoying and if “not going to websites using them” is your answer, then you’ll find much of the web (beyond the worthless earlier mentions in that list) in the coming years will be out of those guidelines.

But this is off topic…..

• Bensam123

I don’t think it is… Change is bad because some people misuse it! We should never change for it’s all for the worse.

• timbits

i nominate jbi

• Celess

I nominate Krogoth.

• Meadows

Good god, no.

• entropy13

How about a Krogoth-Deanjo-SSK-Neely collab?

• NeelyCam

The Daily Troll?

• Arclight

podcast

• entropy13

You’re implying that all four of you would do it daily?

• NeelyCam

We’d take turns. Even Charlie doesn’t troll every day – he has his apprentices cover him when he’s taking a day off

• sweatshopking

I could see that working, tbh.

• shaq_mobile

this is a good idea. i would enjoy it. as long as it’s somewhat known that its humorous, which should be apparent in the first few minutes…

• Krogoth

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y67Mwa3DmeM[/url<]

WHY? WHY MUST I ALWAYS CLICK ON YOUTUBE LINKS?

He did at one point. [url<]https://techreport.com/blogs.x/muchima[/url<]

• grantmeaname

I can’t believe that’s already three years ago.

• drfish

I can’t read this post without thinking about writing the weekly folding update back in the day. That was fun but it was also quite stressful. Weekly was probably a bit too frequent and there wasn’t exactly an abundance of content to fill a post with anyhow but I digress… Something monthly and without such a limiting topic could be interesting but I’m not sure I have the chops or the mastery of punctuation to be a serious candidate (plus I use way too many parenthesis and ellipses)… I’d love to see someone from our community get the job though because there really are plenty of folks here who could write “stuff” I would like to read (oh, and I type air quote too often as well).

• kitsura

You don’t fold anymore too. But then neither do I.

• Waco

Unhinged rants are fun…even when they’re on TR backed up by facts. 😛

• indeego

I vote dpaus or JBI. They likely don’t have the time, ironically…

• anotherengineer

I vote for Neelycam, I bet he could sneak in a socialist comment where ever he could 😉

• NeelyCam

I could do some serious battle with Jason Mick of DailyTech

• NeelyCam

I vote for Drashek

• dpaus

Thanks for the nod, but, yeah, I’m already working 13 and 14 -hour days 6 and sometimes 7 days a week….(so much for those of you who think CEOs just sit around and calculate their stock options!)

Right now, I come to TR for some relief; I’d hate for it to turn into an obligation.

• tfp

Damn dpaus you aren’t doing it right ;).

• dpaus

I’m holding it wrong?!?

• tfp

You know if it’s doing what you want it to do, you’re holding it right!

[/updated based on editor feedback]

• indeego

[i<]you're.[/i<] You are disqualified as a TR writer.

• tfp

Just a test (sure…), you however might be kwualified to be a TR editor

BTW no more green punctuation?

With the new comment section they got rid of the colors.

OTOH, if he’s blogging it up, maybe in the article he can use super-secret color tags?

• shaq_mobile

lol, apparently you’re in the wrong business. my ceo forgot to close the game he was playing before he locked his iphone. he called me up to work on it while he was away and his secretary unlocked it for me… new high score!!

• indeego

Sounds like your CEO is in the right business if he has people unlocking phones for him. Also would make a great new subreddit:
          /r/CEOproblems

• shaq_mobile

Yeah healthcare is a decent place to be right now.

that would be an awesome category. some of the stuff they complain about is pretty pro.

• fantastic

I wonder what they’ll be writing about with all of the emphasis on writing skill and none on technical knowledge or hardware testing skills. No test equipment required? I’m incapable of writing 1000 words on anything, myself. Good luck.

• DragonDaddyBear

If I wasn’t a new dad, busy with a full time job, and working on my BS degree I’d love to apply. You can’t always get what you want, though. But at least I have what I need. Well, mostly. I’ve got everyting but money, and time, and a life (outside of my family, that is)… wait, maybe I’m a writer at heart. Like it matters, I’m likely a little too biased towards the penguin aspect of tech for this site.

• Thresher

Man, I wish I had the ability to crank out more than memos and reports. I do so many of them, I’m burned out by the end of the day.

• albundy

lol, you sound like you need a writer from the wall street journal or new york times, even though it’s just a tech blog site. No mention of any perks and fringe benefits, no matching 401k? lol sorry, my OCD is made of dollar signs.

• anotherengineer

401k?!?! that’s all you need in the States?!?

Due to the healthcare system here in Canada you will probably live to 85-90 whether you like it or not, and since you get taxed full bore on your pension money here you would probably need 50k/yr gross to maintain your working lifestyle/standard of living.

Math – retire 65 die 85, —> 20yrs*(50000 gross/yr) = 1 000 000

hmmm maybe that’s why they abolished the 65 retirement law and you can now work until you die 🙂

Now that’s freedom of choice, what a great country!!!

• albundy

quiet down, america junior. 401k’s here are a container where companies could match your contribution. then you move it out to an IRA and make it grow!

and btw, thanks for telling me what i will need, lol, but unfortunately, your very limited mathematical and economics capabilities far under-weigh your common sense. you suggest that I NEED $4000 a month to maintain my standard of living, when now I spend less than $1500 a month on food, condo fees, utilities, transportation, and booze. lastly, didn’t your supreme leaders just drop in a health tax and are now double dipping? now that’s freedom of choice!

• anotherengineer

50K gross $$, which works out to about 30K net here, which is about 2500/month, which after 30 years of inflation from today, I think would be a pretty good estimate to maintain the same standard of living as 1500/month does for you today.

But I could always be wrong, it’s only an estimate after all.

• sweatshopking

i only make 1500 a month everything in. and there’s 4 of us. WE CAN MOVE TO YOUR PLACE!!! I’LL BE YOUR POOL BOY.

• anotherengineer

lolz that’s because that’s all EI pays 😉 and that wouldn’t even cover my mortgage payment ;(

and I don’t have a pool, and if I did it would have ice on it now 🙁

However you can stay in the heated garage and be the driveway boy and keep it clean all winter for me 😉
            I will even run a cat6 and rg6 cable to the garage for you. There is all ready a beer fridge in there also, but there is only coors light in it, if it wasn’t for my brother it would all have gone skunky by now.
            We could move the pinic table from outside in there and you can get yourself a microwave or use the oxy-acet torches to cook your food and your all set.

The air compressor works good for blowing up those life size dolls 😉

• sweatshopking

awww you’re such a sweet heart!!! if my wife kicks me out, i’ll call you!

but damn, it’s that cold where you’re at? isn’t it ontario? it’s still 15-25 here in NS

• anotherengineer

We had snow already several times, a couple -5C days and the leaves went from green to yellow to gone in 1 week 😐

Temp supposed to go back up to 15C and rain, rain, rain.

Edit – I will make a spare bedroom in the basement for your wife 😉

• Squeazle

I would up SSK since he’s clearly putting in the minimum 10 hours a day already, but his post was so eyeball gougingly bad I can’t. I refuse to even honor his post by hitting reply and making it look more relevant.

• sweatshopking

i plused you for that.

• ALiLPinkMonster

I rite gud. I kan haz gob? Hur I shou yew:

Newester grafix kard frum invidea iz bettererz dan radonz kuz it haz moar gigabeytez. I liek kitteez.

Sea? I tak moneez nao.

Really though. I have always been fairly confident in my own writing ability. I love TR and have been a part of it for longer than this account suggests. Unfortunately I’m not quite in a position to write about current technology trends or review anything (I’m freakin’ poor). Perhaps when I finish school and start my IT career, but that won’t be until around April.

Anywho, good luck finding some writers. There are quite a few gerbils the comments of whom I thoroughly enjoy reading.

• anotherengineer

First few lines reminded me of a lolcat pic

• indeego

[url=http://speaklolcat.com/<]I wondr y[/url<]

• alwayssts

I really should apply for a position like this one of these days.

If you’ve seen my posts around the web (turtle, alwayssts, pathos perks) you surely know I can write 700-1000 words about dang near anything. Odds are you have agreed with some things I’ve written, and probably hated a lot of it as well. No hard feelings.

That said, I know I probably discus market factors wayyy too much for TR, to the point they probably think I’m one of those viral marketers (which I’m not), and while I love objectivity and grounded fact, I’m probably just a smidgen too opinionated with a true love of futurism and speculation.

Sometimes being INTP sucks. Now is one of those times.

Oh well. 🙂 Good luck, everyone.

• Redundant

You should apply so that ego can get deflated a smidgen

• BIF

Could you rephrase that? But don’t be redundant, please.

😀

How about an open submission system and just post whichever is good at the time? Like a blog of the week. You can call it: Gerbil Droppings.

• Waco

This is actually a good idea though I can see it fizzling out quickly if there are a lot of submissions but only a few actual postings.

• Buzzard44

I think this is a brilliant idea as well. I wouldn’t mind contributing a couple articles a year for fun, which y’all could post if they’re deemed of sufficient quality.

Completely unrelated: Does anyone that reads TR care about the current state of tape technology?

• Elsoze

You had me at Droppings

• Prestige Worldwide

Did we just become best friends?

But then you have to get someone to sift through all the submissions. This way they can get someone they trust to write good stuff and get it posted without too much oversight.

• gerbilspy

The articles could be picked at random from the contributions of qualified applicants. Might be a nice variety that way.

Co Cards! 12 in 12.

• Deanjo

/me whips out the old Smith Corona and Liquid Paper.

On 8 1/2 x 11 and double spaced right?

Real men type in 10pt font, single spaced.

• Deanjo

Well I would use the TRS-80 Model 100 but those damn AA batteries are so expensive these days and Radio Shack closed in Canada so I can’t use my 40 Battery of the Month cards anymore.

• willmore

I have one of those in the basement. Wonder if TR will accept document on cassette tape?

• jazper

How open are you to having international writers?

I’m from Australia, however I do have experience working on tech sites and my primary employment is in web based media.

I’m interested in doing something like this.

• grantmeaname

Like 80% of TR is canadian.

By which I mean 2/5.

• jazper

That’s not such an issue.

I work in an international company and from that experience, I’ve seen cases where time differences are an issue.

Take that a step further and then you have shipping costs/time if we’re talking about reviews.

so 40% then? Or is that after currency conversion?

• Dissonance

The cost of shipping would take you out for some kinds of articles, but not others. Time difference shouldn’t be an issue. Cyril was living in France before we imported him.

• jazper

Cool, well I’ll shoot forward a sample piece and a resume soon and we can go from there.

Thanks for the response!

• anotherengineer

“Cyril was living in France before we imported him.”

Wow he must have been stuck in customs forever, or did you sneak him in through Quebec 😀

Importing Cyril was easy – they just removed the batteries and marked the item as “gift”

• Bensam123

Importing people, awesome.

• NeelyCam

Australians get iPhones before anyone else

• sweatshopking

OMG I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY EMPLOYER BACK!!! WHO WOULDN’T LIKE TO READ 1000 WORDS FROM ME!! SRSLY GUYS, I KNOW I’M POLARIZING, BUT YOU GUYS DO READ MY STUFF!!!
    I could cover stuff from what I like to refer to as a “manly” angle. I could help you nerds learn to function in a real society!!! it’d be fun, AND EDUCATIONAL!

+ my post if you agree!

• ALiLPinkMonster

Your blog could be called “The Hatemonger.” Start every article with “FIRST!”

I’d read it.

• BIF

[quote<]Start every article with "FIRST!" [/quote<] Uhhhh, no thank you. In shortbread article replies, the "Friday Night Topic", "Etc." and other articles, as well as in the forums, we can let our hair down a bit and have some fun, but I certainly hope that whomever TR hires would be somewhat serious about this. Regular "firsting" is already annoying to me, but I understand that we're just a bunch of schmoes having fun, so I don't complain. But if a TR author were to start doing it, this would be like making the reader step over a little journalistic defecation in each post. And THAT would be a turn off.

• Srsly_Bro

Yea…..I hate it when the kids get on my lawn too.

• ALiLPinkMonster

I was kidding. Why on Earth would you take that seriously?

• sweatshopking

i actually tried to get the word on the first post thing from scott, i submitted a question to jordan for the podcast, but it didn’t get answered 🙁

• dmjifn

Promise to express all your cool manliness exclusively via rhyming couplets, and you’ve got my vote.

• EtherealN

I’ll back you up on this bro. 😀

• Captain Ned

The idea is quite intriguing and I’m pretty sure I could do it, but I’m so far behind the current PC power curve that I don’t have a topic just begging my fingers to bang on the Model M.

Word-count wise the assignment is a doddle. That’s an hour or less at the keyboard in the day job.

• tfp

You could always talk about the “good old days” in your blog. I’d read it. First entry could be about how great it is to be typing on your Model M.

That would be swell

• Meadows

Do not empower him any further.

• Darkmage

He could probably wring out a dozen articles about the good old days of gaming on CGA graphics. A treatise on the confusion that came with the introduction of 3D graphics cards. A trifecta of articles reflecting on the nostalgia of sprites and relate it to some of the more interesting 2D independent games coming out on Steam…

I could probably crank out 700-1000 words of opinion, memories and nostalgia myself. But it wouldn’t be well-researched and up to TR standards.

• tfp

I like that. Some reviews of Amiga/Dos games, must have utilities, how to teak your autoexec.bat file, a review of the 387 upgrade to the 386 SX, the list is endless!

• Captain Ned

I only wish I could talk about the day job in a bloggy way, as I’d have an endless stream of topics.

• Arclight

How about TR sends you the hardware you have to review (the main components are already covered by current TR staff so i’m reffering to something that they don’t usually test, like phones, tablets, usb keys accesories, w/e)? But ofc it depends on what TR needs the new memeber to write about, they might have totally different needs.

Or maybe software. Yeah i think we need more articles about new/usefull software or really in depth “How to” guides.

• RickyTick

Let applicants submit a sample and have TR readers vote for them. Make the writers anonymous to eliminate the biases. jmo

• Grigory

Very good idea!

• ChronoReverse

How much time commitment are you expecting out of the applicants? How are the deadlines?

• Dissonance

Depends on how long it takes you to write 700-1000 words 😉 We’d ideally like folks who can produce something at least once a month. Doesn’t necessarily have to be that frequently, though.

• ChronoReverse

Ahaha, I was actually thinking about how much it would take to produce that once a week.

• sweatshopking

i can write 700 words A DAY.

and every one of them is alternate spellings of the word “FIRST!”

• grantmeaname

FtRIS! is my favorite so far.

• sweatshopking

that’s mmo that does that. I almost always write “first’

• BIF

I never write that, even when I am. It would be like debasing myself.

:O 🙂

• MadManOriginal

HEY! I only started writing funny alternatives to FIRST because I saw others doing it…I could have sworn you did. Maybe NeelyCam does it more though?

• NeelyCam

I think I do it more often than others.. I don’t remember who started it, but I know it wasn’t me

• sweatshopking

who knows, the point is that we’re all cool, and let’s not lose sight of that.

• grantmeaname

First post!

• NeelyCam

You broke the rules! You’re on time-out.

• Scrotos

Just get WaltC to do it. He’s like me, too verbose. I bet he could bang out 2 thousand without breaking a sweat.

• BoBzeBuilder

I nominate Adi for the Mac section, and Shintai for Intel coverage.
    oh.. and flip-mode for his daily points.

• codedivine

Sending an email.

• chuckula

I vote for: Point-Counterpoint starring NeelyCam & Krogoth.
    The win goes to Krogoth when he says: Neely, you ignorant slut.

• destroy.all.monsters

I think Meadows would be a better foil for Krogoth but you’re definitely onto something.

• NeelyCam

I couldn’t dance with Krogoth [i<]or[/i<] Meadows - those two are pros. In all seriousness, I would read Meadows. Always witty with perfect grammar

• Helmore

What about TechReport fanboys?

• ClickClick5

I would LOVE this. But I don’t think I would have the time to dedicate for a flow of articles. I only post about 3-4 pieces a year in the forums of experiments and adventures I partake in.

Now I’m torn. Should I give it a shot or no?

• dmjifn

No. You’ve turned over the decision to public opinion instead of doing it based on what you want and what you’re ready to work for. You’re in no position to make your dreams come true.

🙂

Well said.

• ClickClick5

Haha, I’m submitting anyway!

• ClickClick5

Sent email!

• shaq_mobile

Can we nominate other users? 🙂

• grantmeaname