And here’s the first TV ad for Microsoft’s Surface

Microsoft is on a roll this week. After unwrapping the first Windows 8 TV ad on Sunday, the company has kicked off its ad bliz for the Surface tablet. The following video popped up on the official Surface YouTube channel late yesterday:

According to the folks at CNet News, the video aired "possibly during Monday Night Football and ‘Dancing with the Stars.’" (Due to my neglectful relationship with cable television, I can neither confirm or deny that. Considering the video’s production value, though, I’m sure Microsoft ain’t sneaking this one into late-night Seinfeld reruns.)

The October 26 launch date at the end of the clip only applies to the ARM-powered Surface for Windows RT, by the way. The Intel-powered version of the Surface won’t be out until "about 90 days" later, which would put its release date some time in late January 2013. Microsoft still hasn’t announced pricing, but Steve Ballmer hinted at a $300-700 price range for the two devices in an interview last month.

In any case, I like the new ad. It’s certainly more fun to watch than the sterile, somewhat aseptic Apple ads. Microsoft isn’t really dwelling on the software and the interface, but the idea seems to be the same as with yesterday’s Win8 ad: show consumers something unusual, and hope they’re intrigued enough to take a closer look.

• aim18
    • rrr

Too cheesy IMO.

• sweatshopking

is this the ad we wanted? [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0m6tq8vK7E&feature=player_embedded[/url<]

• destroy.all.monsters

It’s a hell of a lot better that’s for sure. Not the voice talent I would have used (a bit too chirpy and high pitched). It gives an idea of what it does, the interface and input devices.

• sschaem

Its better… you finally get an idea of what the product really is: a netbook with a detachable keyboard.

BTW, would love to see the person typing doing true text selection, copy pasting, etc…
      using your finger to do those task is totally backward.. but I guess it make you look cool like Cpt Kirk

• moose17145

To quote the video…

“work the way you are used to working…”

Does this mean you will give me back my start menu back and let me disable the stupid metro screen?

Oh so you lied to me then… you won’t let me work the way I am used to working… thought so.

• Diplomacy42

You know, the first time I ever saw stomp perform I thought to myself “gee, why bother with old trash cans and brooms when you can be tapping, banging, flipping, throwing and snapping delicate pieces of equipment that cost 500 a piece.”

Vindication.

• moog

Not your style?

The marketing geniuses also thought about you. About as exciting as watching paint dry (literally).

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1EPDlwlums&list=UUGS474QoP8SCnSo6hOCaayA&index=3&feature=plcp[/url<]

• internetsandman

I’m sorry, but all I’m seeing is a whole lot of money that went into planning, designing, staging and choreographing this very flashy and otherwise impressive advertisement meant to exalt a single feature of the product, its magnetic keyboard cover. No mention of any apps, features, other hardware, software, or anything else noteworthy. Personally, I wouldn’t rely on being able to intrigue a customer enough with one thing that they’d go online or out to a store to get more info on a product, I’d rather have them spend less money and energy on the advertisement, put across a few key details and talking points, enough to get the big message across and pique interest in the product, and spend the time and money saved into making sure that it is indeed going to be a product people want and will enjoy, something that has features and abilities the competition does not

• Diplomacy42

You worry too much… Msft wants to be like apple, apple is marketing 1 feature at a time( oblong headphones?) therefore msft needs to focus on one feature…

I’m only half joking. Make your product stand out and you will get people to look closer. Maybe they like what they see, maybe they don’t, but people will definitely look.

• Buzzard44

Wait, since when did the Microsoft Surface become a tablet?

I could have sworn that the Microsoft Surface was a table with a touch screen monitor for the top that came out several years ago.

The only logical conclusion I can draw from this is that I’m a time traveler who has altered the past as I knew it – a past that included these articles:

[url<]https://techreport.com/news/12576/microsoft-unveils-surface-interactive-table[/url<] [url<]https://techreport.com/news/14480/microsoft-surface-interactive-table-to-arrive-this-month[/url<] Edit: Oh snap, I just traveled into a future where Apple has trademarked the word "surface."

• Diplomacy42

It wasn’t really a touch screen, it used cameras and projectors.

In other news, what makes you think it’s a tablet? Looks like a smaller table to me.

• sweatshopking

it used to be a table. they took it for their tablet, and the rumored phone.

• helix

So here is my take on how MS do marketing.

Microsoft managed to get a positive buzz for their Surface (as in table) technology. So they take that name and slap it on their new convertible tablet.

Even if it is years ago since people talked about MS Surface, genuine positive buzz is not something that comes their way very often.

And it is a way better name than anything else I can imagine their brainstorming session would come up with; “bing”, “zune”, “fizz”, “fluke”, “lurk”, “flap”, etc.

• moog

Our Azure ad?? WTF is our marketing dept smoking! (still it’s better than it used to be)

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQyatIpkHvM[/url<]

• pedro

PCP by the looks of things.

• ZGradt

Old people kissing! Gross!

• Bensam123

And here you have a netbook. They could make a netbook with a swivel touch screen and it would essentially be the same thing… or a laptop with a swivel touch screen… which would be infinitely more useful

…but then you can’t lock people into a app store. Oh wait, you can only with Windows 8!

• Anarchist

microsoft should hire the same marketing firm that barak obama used 4 years ago. If they can turn shallow idiot like obama into jesus just imagine what they can do for windoz8.

• shank15217

This guy needs the ban hammer…

• Diplomacy42

I hate shallow self- centered idiots…

• danny e.

So, you hate obama too?

• 5150

Obama isn’t like Jesus, Obama is real.

• link626

we should be seeing this shit used in tv shows soon

• Vulk

The pricing made me leery. That just reaffirmed my oppinion. All that I got from that was MS is desperate and willing to spend a TON of cash to try and buy their way into the market. That’s it.

So no.

And to everyone who said this is going to be MS’s Nexus device, and that they aren’t going to burn their relationship with their vendors… I don’t see how you watch that and keep thinking that. That was the add that just cancelled every Windows RT tablet not named Surface right there.

No more excuses, this boat sinks or swims based on MS from here on. My bet is Ballmer gets to yell at people as they watch Sinofsky set the whole place on fire and it burns down.

That’s what that add says to me.

• Meadows

As far as commercials go, I think it was nice and well directed.

• albundy

LoL!

• indeego

[url=http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8mSckyoAMHg&start1=&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOYecfV3ubP8&start2=&authorName=meahwahwah<]The only thing I could think of. Dichotomy.[/url<]

• trackerben

I thought it was refreshing, direct, and musical. It’s likely just the first in an entire series of differently-focused pieces. The first few would usually introduce brand presence and character to the target audience. The launch imagery establishes the product and its uses within a stylish context which a general audience could positively relate to. For anything much more detailed, I would expect to go to their website, and for actual hands-on I would head to Microsoft’s department and chain store partners for demos. The leaked pricing range seems to be $100 too high for each variant though.

Now I’m confused surface.com says:
    In the box
    Surface with Windows RT and Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview2
    Black Touch Cover
    Power supply
    QuickStart Guide
    Safety and warranty documents

And the other colors are more money…. Is the black one included?

• sschaem

?? its clearly state $499 without cover. $599 with cover.
      = $100 for the black cover

[url<]http://surface.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/Content/pbpage.Surface?ESICaching=off&WT.mc_id=FY13WinHH[/url<] BTW, at those prices those should come with 4g modem and affordable non contract services.

• sweatshopking

i know, so why does it say that? i guess it’s just IF you get that one.

and, your opinion about MS is about as biased as mine. I do agree it’s expensive, but your points are pretty much haters gonna hate quality.

Yeah, they should probably change the “in the box” to remove that line when you pick the $499 model.

So is Windows RT going to make its way into a 7-8″ design? The first tablet I really loved was the Kindle Fire, and now that’s been replaced (stolen, actually, by my wife) with a Nexus 7, which I’ll probably keep for a long while. But Windows RT is going to have to get into that size for me to be interested if the Nexus croaks someday.

• tootercomputer

I think it’s a terrific ad. It caught my attention and held it for the duration of the commercial.

I always have thought that MS ads sucked, almost maudlin in their own way. Not this one. IMHO.

• cegras

It really is a good ad. But it’s pointless to expect anything other than nerd rage on tech sites, because they also hate Apple ads (which have managed to completely charm Joe Generic).

• sschaem

My first impression, its a commercial by a company that make accessories for tablets.

Lots of dancing in celebration of that magnetic cover.. but where have I seen this before.

Apple commercial in general get on my nerve (its that voice and the music they use, its creepy)
    this one bt MS was just dorky. But who am I to judge, I’m not 14 years old anymore.

edit: where are the cool windows8 apps? you can bet the ipad mini commercial will feature tons of games and cool concepts apps…
    cover dont sale tablets, apps do. MS be nice to your potential developers instead of going all MAFIA on them .

• destroy.all.monsters

Wasn’t that what you said the other day? The target market being toddlers to 14 year old girls? lol Nicely done.

And quite probably a lot closer to the demographic they are actually targeting. Too bad that’s a pretty tiny section of the market (especially since most kids have been exposed to Apple products at school and that teens are frequently very brand aware).

” but where have I seen this before” – terrible music videos on the Disney channel?

• sschaem

Its an observation. The first commercial showed a little kid finger painting and a teenage girl staring are the start screen (like she was mesmerized)
        This one seem like a scene from a teenager musical.

I think the demographic is not bad, this is when you build brand loyalty. (but yea, Apple damage here as already been done)

Reality ? All the kid in that video ‘wants’ and are going to get ipad mini for their Christmas…

And for my comment about this feeling ordinary : magnetic cover, thats an apple thing.
        Mag safe kind of made this concept an Apple ‘trademark’

• sweatshopking

mag safe isn’t an apple concept. it’s been used for years by a variety of industries. it’s true they’ve got the mindshare, but it’s not theirs. i do realize you used ”.

• destroy.all.monsters

I do think that MS has to overcome a market perception of being an also-ran (and johnny come lately) in this field. This ad doesn’t help them overcome it – particularly when it emphasizes something the ipad already has. It makes a certain percentage of the population aware of their product (at the expense of other populations) but doesn’t provide a compelling reason to check them out.

In short I agree it isn’t an Apple concept but getting over the hump of being about as pricey as an Apple without actually being one seems to make it a non-starter; particularly since Apple has a brand loyalty that MS cannot compete with. No matter how you slice it and which way you would like things to go this is going to be a very hard and uphill road for MS (and one they apparently have staked the company on). I’m very skeptical and I have my agenda as do you but mostly I’m very critical of how they’ve gone about it all. I don’t think they had to make the decisions they did in the way they did – and I think walking away from a leadership role to a follower role hurts their perception and brand even if they don’t.

Added: I just checked the MS website and it’s clear they’re opening a lot of stores as you mentioned. There’s none all that close to me but they are opening them (or are already open) in the silicon valley. That might make a difference. On the other hand it will also show just how few apps they have so it’s a bit of a double edged sword.

I know this is a slight drift but how they’re going about things reminds me a little of how Scion has gone about things in order to buy cool. This is a discussion that my son and I have a lot – though he thinks it’s bad and I don’t because they’re essentially funding musical niches that don’t typically get a lot of awareness or sponsorship; that and the fact that they fund a lot of metal shows and yet I’ve never seen a metalhead drive a Scion. He on the other hand feels that they’re trying to co-opt the garage rock scene (one of their other targeted markets). On the other hand MS’s ads and behavior don’t benefit me or interest me in any way – and more importantly it’s playing it a bit safe and staid. You can’t create cool by not being edgy in any way. It’s a strange niche that I have trouble seeing as getting any traction. On the other hand people will go to a McDonald’s even if there’s an In and Out right next door to it so what do I know.

• WhatMeWorry

[quote]MS has to overcome a market perception of being an also-ran (and johnny come lately) in this field[quote]

Apple alone has sold about 81 million iPads since Q3 2010. Don’t know about Android. numbers. I’d come up with a stronger word than perception, maybe: realization. Let’s not kid ourselves here. Microsoft is betting the farm on mobile with Windows 8. I hope they are not trying to change too much too fast.

• chuckula

The apps argument is very good: Even though Apple marketing is annoying, that whole “there’s an app for that” campaign was at least talking about things you can actually do with the device. That’s way way better than people randomly dancing around in this commercial. MS is trying to copy the hip part of Apple’s marketing, but is overlooking the fact that even Apple sometimes shows off what its products can actually do.

• pedro

I want to know what Krogoth thinks of this…

• Arclight

[s<]According to my elaborate calculations that have been double checked by my peers in Madrid and Beijing, it seems that Mr. Krogoth might be slightly inclined not to praise Microsoft for this new product.[/s<] This just in, i have it on good athority he said "I'm not impressed". So there you have it folks, good night and good luck.

• chuckula

At first I thought he wouldn’t be impressed, but it was too difficult to wake him up to get his opinion.

Them’s some serious magnets.

• willmore

All that video made me want do it go dig out the buckyballs and waste an hour building stuff.

Did you see Chrispy_’s link? More magnets:
      [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpzu3HM2CIo[/url<]

Yeah, I loved this one. They’re really setting it up to be something huge and work-useful there where the iPad is marketed as a communications toy of sorts. Differentiating how they want to market it, even though it won’t functionally be much different.

• sweatshopking

pricing was accidentally posted… 499 for the cheapest WITH NO COVER. COVER IS 100$ MORE GG MS, AT THAT PRICE, YOU’LL SELL 10.

[url<]http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-surface-price-revealed-starts-at-499[/url<]

• destroy.all.monsters

Works for me. I have to say this is one of the few times I’ve seen so many things from one company that made me want them to fail utterly.

• sweatshopking

i DON’T want them to fail utterly. Apple is not my favorite company, and linux has let me down SOOOO many times. I want MS to succeed, because they’re the only ones selling typically quality software besides apple. with them sucking, we’ll end up with the situation of intel and amd. that’s the last thing i want.

• destroy.all.monsters

They aren’t better than Apple and they’re doing their level best to copy them in all the wrong ways. I have no sympathy for that. I’d rather see Google eat their lunch than agree to yet another walled garden particularly by a company so poor at executing.

If they’re going to push their app market and (however slowly) close their ecosystem I see no reason for them to exist. That was their differentiator – as well as gaming, customization and a relatively open hardware platform. If they’re going to remove those lynchpins they no longer have anything to sell me as a consumer.

I don’t like Apple either but they know something about polish and refinement – and they don’t go stampeding into markets thinking they can buy their way in. It was a rough time for consoles and they could take a loss leader approach. I don’t see that working here.

If you think that by dumping what made you a compelling platform before to ape someone else’s is a good idea you deserve to have your lunch eaten.

There might have been a third way to do things however I don’t think that Ballmer and Sinofsky are the people who could do that successfully.

But hey, it’s just someone’s opinion on the internet anyway.

• sweatshopking

i agree the change to a devices company isn’t the best approach, but on the software front, i think the MS ui ISN’T copied from apple, but google’s totally is.

I’m not sure i care about the “open” approach. i buy most of my software digitally, and there will continue to be a variety of stores available on the MS market. for me, that’s not a concern.

I don’t have any issues with windows 8, and i think the UI is polished. i think it works well, and is attractive, that’s subjective, but think the mobile OS is more polished than iOS, and i SURE like windows 8 more than osx.

My issue with this is that they have no market for the surface, with only 4k apps, and yet they’re pricing like they’re the leader. that is my issue. i don’t have an issue with the software, i have an issue with the pricing.

• destroy.all.monsters

I’m not talking about the UI being copied though. To be honest I preferred both the WebOS and Playbook OS UIs better than any of the others but this is a tangent.

You don’t care about the open approach but I do and inarguably the PC and Windows openness – whether you’re talking hardware, customization or software were selling points. Important parts of the brand as it were. By copying Apple and slowly closing the ecosystem they dilute that brand and instead of being a leader in its own space becomes a follower of Apple’s (and others to a lesser degree). So Android ends up being the brand, at least on handsets (for now) with those features (allowing custom roms, forks, etc.)

I think we’re going ot have to agree to disagree though on the UI and preferring 8 over OS X (and it’s still shocking to me to think it let alone write it). Granted I’ve only used WP7’s version of the UI and things could change by the time SP 1 comes about – I just have my doubts based on how MS has gone about things.

I figured they’d do something dumb at release. They have to compete against two major, and one increasingly minor but well loved, mobile OSes and I don’t see how they can afford to take a loss. At the same time they’ve imposed an (arguably crushing) OS tax and are at risk of completely alienating their other suppliers if they price it too low. They’re attempting to have their cake and eat it too – something had to give.

And they’re attempting to have their cake and eat it too on the desktop/laptop side as well. I’ve felt that MS was way out of touch (no pun intended) about what normal to power users wanted and utterly failed to grasp what their brand meant. The UI should be optional on the desktop – it’s too different and too focused on a casual user type environment.

• Ricardo Dawkins

Surface 32GB – 499 USD
      Full Microsoft Office, USB ports, microsd card support, uHDMI for video out, file browser, flash support, mouse support, double the capacity of the same price iPad. Heck adding a 32GB microsd card for less than 30 USD and you get a 64GB device for less than 600 USD.

oh..and there are way cheaper Windows 8 options than Surface. The Iconia W510 with ATOM is the same price as the 32GB Surface with all the feature set and the 16GB iPad .

• sweatshopking

Not full office, but close. Not full flash support, only whitelisted pages. File browser for what? You can’t install desktop apps on winrt. I suppose the hardware is solid, but with no market, I think they should have been competing with the iPad 2

• Ryhadar

LOL, what did I just watch? That was terrible.

• sparkman

Holy cow, judging from this commerical, Ballmer finally did something right.

• HisDivineOrder

This is not possible.

• willmore

If you mean he warned people away from this product by that horrible commercial, then yes, he did.

• sparkman

That was a great commercial. The market Microsoft is interested in will eat up that catchy dancing. Also as someone else noted, the prominent featuring of touch-screen interfaces will be a big deal to many.

• WhatMeWorry

I dig the dancing Catholic schoolgirls. Made me laugh.

• Xenolith

Pricing is out:

Surface with Windows RT, 32 GB: $499

Surface with Windows RT, 32 GB with Black Touch Cover: $599

Surface with Windows RT, 64 GB with Black Touch Cover: $699

Surface Touch Cover (white, red, black, cyan, or pink): $120

Surface Type Cover: $130

Source: [url<]http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/microsoft-surface-pricing-availability-144526[/url<]

Urgh, $100 or $120 for the default cover? I just lost interest since $599 is effectively the minimum spend and this is only a tablet, after all.

I guess I’m not the target audience but given how massively inferior a tablet’s capability / compatibility / flexibility is, I find it hard to justify spending ultrabook money on them – especially when spending ultrabook money on an [i<]ultrabook[/i<] isn't that smart either. When you look at the hardware, design and manufacturing behind a tablet, they should be priced like current-gen smartphones. Smartphones may be smaller but they also include more complicated communications kit, GPS and things like NFC.

• willmore

Wispering “get a Nexus 7”

• sweatshopking

then you’re stuck with android. no thanks. i hate my android tablet.

Me too, actually.

I don’t hate the Galaxy Tab, but it seems to be a device without purpose – burdened by mediocrity for every task I try on it. I have better ways to read, faster and more comfortable ways to browse the web, more convenient devices for movies and video, and more portable devices for when I’m on the move.

Ripley from [i<]Aliens[/i<] had the best solution. If you want a flame-thrower and a pulse rifle, bind them together with tape and take both. I have a laptop and a tethered smartphone. They work together, and individually.

• sweatshopking

cover is 100$ with initial purchase, is 119$ if purchase separately.

• Arclight

Too damn high for the specs…..wtf are these people thinking with their tablets and ultrabooks and macbooks? Look at the specs, pathetic…how can you charge so much for so little sillicon and plastic?

it’s not plastic.
        “The Microsoft Surface line features VaporMg (pronounced “VaporMag”), the molded magnesium casing[7] that houses Surface’s components paired with a PVD finish”

too be fair, the touch cover is.

• Arclight

And adds to the price how much?

• pedro

So you would have preferred plastic then?

• Arclight

No, but i’m still saying it’s overpriced.

• sweatshopking

apparently it’s an expensive material, but I get your point.

• tviceman

It is simply $100 too high, regardless of the specs and component costs. They cannot compete with iPad at the same prices unless there are absolutely no trade offs. But with a slower processor and lower resolution, not to mention a currently very small app ecosystem, the initial pricing scheme set up here is going to amount to yet another Microsoft failure. I do not believe Microsoft can afford a failure in the mobile space at this point; falling further behind is likely to be insurmountable.

• Sahrin

Hey, Windows 8 sucks right guise? Also Steve Ballmer is a tool. Win98SE 4evar!

• destroy.all.monsters

I thank you for your mature, level-headed and thoroughly thought out response that adds so much to the discussion. I look forward to more of your exhilarating insights and fresh commentary.

• MrJP

Sarcasm detector needs a re-tune?

• willmore

Nope, vacuity detector working at full capacity. Right at ‘ya Generic.

• Generic

Welp. Wished I hadn’t watched that.

Word O’ the Day: vac·u·ous (facepalms)

For a product that is unambiguously targeting the productivity end of the tablet market, that advert seems to have missed the point, IMO. Not once does anyone use that keyboard cover for typing (nor as a cover for that matter)!

If I were a fan of cheesy Glee dance productions [b<]and[/b<] Stomp musicals, then perhaps this would appeal more. As such, the only positive thing I can say about it is that Microsoft seem to be on the ball in terms of music taste these days. This tribal/dubstep and the ie9 Alex Clare soundtrack at least show they're keeping up with the times.

They need to show [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpzu3HM2CIo<]this ad[/url<] on TV.

• destroy.all.monsters

That was vastly less horrible and actually gave you an idea of the product. I can see why they didn’t put it out there.

• willmore

My kid listened to this video and wanted to know if it was the one of the printer that prints stuff and makes it come alive. That’s a pretty good description of “Printer Jam” by Mistabishi.

• destroy.all.monsters

Ha, I think I like your kid. That’s a great description (and the ability to make stylistic differentiations in music is pretty cool for a young’un).

I was unaware of that song and the video is vastly entertaining. Thanks for sharing that.

Damn they probably should have hired whoever did that video.

• willmore

I showed that video to my son when it came out, so I think it’s a formative memory for him. He’s 5 now and still asks for it from time to time–I give in as *I* want to keep watching it. That and the giga-pudding one.

• destroy.all.monsters

That’s really awesome. Young kids are so cool – it’s so neat to be able to see things through fresh eyes like that.

And I don’t blame you – that’s a ridiculously cool video. Wow and something else to check out – is this the video? [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sEI1AUFJKw[/url<] That's freaking amazing. You're making my day.

• willmore

That’s the one. My wife hates it, but the kids and I want to leave it on endless loop.

• cynan

How?

Granted, the latter was geared much more the majority of the audience of this website (ie, hardware geeks), while the first was something reminiscent of Glee or High School Musical. Neither, however, were informative or educational in anyway about the product (the the first did emphasize how flimsy the keyboard docking attachment is…)

That said, short TV spots aren’t meant to be educational, and this should fit right in with the kind of tripe Apple, etc, has been shoving at us over the past few years.

• Sahrin

>For a product that is unambiguously targeting the productivity end of the tablet market,

lol, what? It’s a consumer launch.

RT comes with Office and includes a keyboard [s<]as standard[/s<]. [i<]edit - apparently not. Ill envoy warding pinpoint protestations made on a SourceRT with predictive auto contract*[/i<] All tablets are consumer devices, I merely stated that it's the productivity end of the market. [i<]* - translation: "I'll enjoy watching Powerpoint presentations made on a SurfaceRT with predictive autocorrect"[/i<]

• Diplomacy42

I lol’d too.
        “Productivity end of the tablet market” that’s like the “productivity end of the multicolor gel pen market.”

I mean every business wants an unrestrictable Facebook/e-reader/game/movie/shopping/chat/Internet hub within arm’s reach of their employees at all times, but really… How many of them can make it work?

• WhatMeWorry

With all that fun stuff, who cares about work? Oh, you meant working the device itself. My mistake.

• RhysAndrews

Fantastic ad. Interesting to watch, creative, watched it twice and found lots of subtleties the 2nd time around. An ad doesn’t have to show off what the product can do, just be enjoyable to the target market.

• geekl33tgamer

Not seen any marketing for W8 or Surface here yet (UK). No major fuss is being made come to think of it in PC World / Curry’s neither (Pre-Orders, W8 upgrades etc) like there was for W7.

Unless it’s coming soon? I thought MS would be making big waves about this coming out…

Maybe tablets aren’t selling well in the UK because even the benefit-claiming, permanently unemployed can get a modern smartphone for ‘free’ on a modest monthly tariff.

Why pay anything up to £600 for a slightly larger device that offers minimal extra functionality?

• Diplomacy42

Strike that, inferior functionality.

Phones are transportable, and they are phones…

• Diplomacy42

Maybe tablets aren’t selling well in the uk because they have a better developed sense of irony

• chuckula

Yup… idiotic video of hipsters dancing around like morons with practically no display of the actual software other than a momentary swoosh of some useless “tiles”.

• Coran Fixx

b b b but there is a keyboard that clicks into it. Seems to be the theme of the spot. Didn’t see a single function of the device besides playing a video. I think a majority of people are going to watch this and say “I want this instead of my phone, why?”

• destroy.all.monsters

Or more likely – “I want this instead of an ipad, why?”

Everyone and their brother knows you can buy a keyboard for your ipad. What makes this a compelling buy? An ad that is shallow and directed at shallow people? I’m not sure that saying “we’re looking for dumber people than Apple people” is really the message you want to send.

Apple sells itself on sophistication as well as ease of use. It sells on making people think they’re smarter than they actually are. This does the opposite. Worse, it sends the message that it isn’t good enough to sell on its own merits.

• sweatshopking

Its new. People want the “new” thing. Most people don’t DO anything with their iPad. Angry birds and YouTube, mixed with a fair bit of moving the icons back and forth. If they can sell that’s cool and sexy, people will buy it to be hip. Windows 8 is reliable, and if metro blows your mind, idk what to tell you. IOS will likely too.

I do agree they’ll have an uphill battle vs apples branding and coolness factor.

• destroy.all.monsters

People don’t want the new thing or every new product would sell like hotcakes. They want the new _cool_ thing. The ad doesn’t target people that are hip – it primarily targets teens and tweens like the Win 8 ad did. No one that’s not a teen thinks that demographic is cool (unless it’s pedos). Apple knows how to sell hip, and functional, this is just lame. As I mentioned elsewhere teens are very brand aware and have likely dealt with Apple products at school including ipads. So they lose “cool”, functional (because they aren’t selling on function plus there’s the lack of apps) and positive branding and that leaves them with the value segment which is one they aren’t competing in.

I think you’d be surprised at what people are using ipads for – I know you’re not an audio guy but gearslutz has tons of threads about what people are doing with them. They’re being used as DAW controllers and even to record audio (with what I suppose you could call docks). That might not be what most people use them for but it’s part of why it isn’t marketed as a toy whereas this is.

I’ve used iOS. I don’t love it but I don’t dislike it to the same degree that I disliked WP7. I can’t use an iphone but I have no issues with an ipad. But that’s just me.

Chrispy_ showed what is a much better ad and one that is more appealing to a demographic of people that can afford to buy their own equipment (i.e. not teens) because at least it gives some idea of what the product is.

• RhysAndrews

Yup… guess you’re not really a marketing dude, then.

• destroy.all.monsters

That isn’t the put down you think it is.

• sweatshopking

HEY! i’m taking business right now, with a focus on marketing! what exactly are you implying?!

• drfish

Sounds like your average marketing campaign to me…

I’m glad I’m not the only one that saw it that way. +1

I found it annoying and offensive. At least all the dumbing down/fisher-price etc. comments are now thoroughly justified given how this is being marketed (regardless of the how well the actual product works).

Side topic – I know I’m on the “wrong” side of 40 but I can’t be the only person that likes things not all singing, all dancing and with seizure inducing strobes and whatnot; the constant barrage of vapid, meaningless input bordering on sensory overload primarily designed to separate fools from their money. Show me why I should use it not that I have to be one of the “cool kids that get it” because that kind of marketing just produces revulsion in me.

The message “this is for people that suck” is made loud and clear.

• sweatshopking

offensive? what’s offensive about the ad? i think you might be a little bit overreacting…

• destroy.all.monsters

I could say it’s that it’s clear I’m not the type of person this is marketed to (and it’s clear there’s no one at all like anyone I know or would ever want to know in the ad – not entirely unlike how minorities feel when they aren’t represented) but that’s only a small piece of it.

I don’t like dumb. Or “cool” particularly when it’s fake cool. I don’t like people that are trying to give you “sizzle” without the steak. I could go on and make a hundred other comparisons and explanations of the same type (all of which border on cliches) but I thought I was rather clear in my original post. It’s inauthentic and insults the intelligence of the very people it’s marketing to by being so devoid of content.

If not here’s the simple version: hype – content = garbage.

If that still doesn’t make it clear – the very fact that it does nothing to show that it is a compelling product tells you that there isn’t a compelling product to be had so here’s a little sideshow for the simpletons. Dazzle them with bull crap.

There are good ads, funny ads, ads that make you curious about a product, ads that make you think that you’re really smart for choosing their product (which I tend to find funny), ads that make you think, but this is just bad.

If anything I think they should have hired Penn and Teller to show just why us old schoolers should buy it and that it wasn’t b.s. and how. “Bet you didn’t think that you could do *that* with windows eh Teller?” Or someone else that has some cultural cache (Chris Rock, Jon Stewart come to mind). If you recall you mentioned in another thread about how well they did on returns and exchanges even past warranty periods – that’s also a legitimate marketing point. There’s a million ways to do an ad and not be obnoxious – even the Windows 8 ad wasn’t terrible. This ad sends all the wrong messages and treats the audience as if it were idiots – not the smartest thing when you’re marketing a computing product.

Jiminy Cricket you got me to bite once again.

• sweatshopking

i don’t disagree. the video shows NOTHING. i do understand that they’re going after the ipad market with this ad, and i think for the ipad market it will be an attractive ad. I don’t think it was a great ad, i just figured it was more stupid than offensive.

• destroy.all.monsters

I don’t think it’s going to appeal to the ipad crowd at all. I’m not trying to be a pita but I don’t think I could write it better than my response to Coran Fixx.

• funko

I wouldnt call it idiotic. It was a well choreographed, entertaining bit, that was not very informative, but people who this would market to, don’t really need much information, and the people who want more information know that a TV ad isn’t where they are going to find it. It probably served just to create brand awareness based on purely the unique features that distinguish it from the iPad, instead of going over the redundant functions of a web browser, growing app market, etc.

I think the main problem is that it guide you over to microsoft.com, but when u goto the website, there is no feature that draws you into learning more about Surface. This is a failure IMO. Even if you figure out that Surface is sort of an extension of teh Windows worls, and you click on the windows subdomain links, there is still no feature on Surface or WinRT, only Win8.

MS still hasn’t gotten down the streamlined unified identity that Apple has developed. I don’t think that this is really a big deal, because I think as the upcoming 3rd market player, they have wiggle room to experiment until something gains traction. They were able to do it with Xbox when Nintendo and Sony were dominant, and Sega was a dying star. But they failed with WP7 (which appears to have met its end), as well as failed with Zune (which i throughly enjoyed as a first gen owner)

I’m hoping Win8 does well, just because I much prefer MS over Apple and Linux distros. I don’t really mind the unintuitiveness of the UI, as to me Linux is far far far far far far worse, and OSX doesn’t let me play my favorite games. atm, nor does it let me build my own PC’s with retail components while skirting around legal EUA issues. i always open the start menu with my keyboard anyways, and the jarring effect of teh metro screen doesn’t bother me enough to stick with Win7, which is boring to me already. I need something new to play with

-$0.02