Google may bump up Nexus 7 storage in time for iPad Mini debut

Apple has been sending out invites to an October 23 event, so it’s probably safe to say the iPad Mini—or whatever Apple ends up calling it—is only days away. Coincidentally, The Verge says recent evidence suggests Google and Asus are readying a new version of the Nexus 7 tablet with twice the storage capacity of the current flagship.

Early listings for a Nexus 7 with 32GB of storage have cropped up in the U.S. and UK, and the device is apparently supposed to cost as much as the 16GB Nexus 7 does today—that is, $249 in the states and £199 in Britain. The Verge also links to a story by The Next Web, whose author says he was told by UK retailer Argos "not to expect [the 32GB Nexus 7] in the next two weeks."

It seems likely, then, that we’re going to see some new blood in the Nexus 7 lineup either in time for the iPad Mini’s arrival or shortly thereafter. Now, the reports don’t say what’s going to happen to the 16GB and 8GB models. If I were a betting man, though, I’d put money on the current 16GB model being bumped down and replacing the 8GB Nexus 7 at $199. It’s possible that the 8GB Nexus 7 will stick around at an even lower price point—heck, there’s been talk of a $99 Nexus 7 successor going around—but I doubt it, considering the estimated bill of materials for the device.

For now, you can pass the time until the new iPad and 32GB Nexus 7 become available by reading our Nexus 7 review.

• PrincipalSkinner

If only they would release an affordable 10 inch version.

• bthylafh

Your mom wants an affordable ten-incher.

• HisDivineOrder

Google Android: “Think you this crude matter? You must unlearn what you have learned. Less than $400, you must be to destroy Apple.”
    Microsoft Surface: “I can’t! I can’t do it! You ask for the impossible.”

Android arrives at $199 with rumors of $99 and $149 coming soon.

MS Surface: “I can’t believe it. I can’t believe it!”
    Android: “That… is why you fail.”

• ezrasam

8 GB for $179
    16 GB for $219
    32GB for $249

sounds logical to me

• ludi

Only if Google is willing to take a break-even or slight loss on the 8GB device, which assumes it will generate enough interest in the brand to push additional sales of the higher-priced models and/or drive app sales.

• Jingles

The irony is that Apple would never have bothered if Google and ASUS had never brought out the Nexus 7.

I have been so tempted by the nexus 7, if the price drops on the 16 GB version I might pull the trigger and get one.

• Welch

Glad to see that they are going to add a 32gb, was really missing from the line up. However, id like to see even a 16gb with an expansion slot. It would be cheaper to get an expansion slot added (if they did it prior to the design) rather than now. But since they aren’t likely to do more than merely solder on a larger memory module, 32gb it is. If its the same $199, i’ll bite.

• link626

I will buy nexus 8gb below $150

do it, google.

hell, google is rich enough. just give me one for free

• brucethemoose

[quote<] Apple has been sending out invites to an October 23 event, so it's probably safe to say the iPad Mini—or whatever Apple ends up calling it—is only days away. [/quote<] Smart. Apple's timed their launch so that it won't really cannibalize/compete with their own the iPhone 5, but will likely steal thousands of potential customers who, unaware of either launch date, will probably spend their money on the new iPad before they even see the MS Surface on shelves 3 days later. Knowing Apple releases, it'll steal the coverage Windows 8 tablets would get too. If I was high up in Microsoft, I would get off my *** and get Surface tablets on shelves before the 22nd. Even though I've seen dozens of IE and Bing commercials, 90% of the people I know don't know anything about Windows 8 and Windows tablets, and they won't care to find out if they already have an iPad mini.

• pedro

Just imagine if we had epic price wars like this in the CPU space…

We did in the early part of the last decade. It was pretty glorious. We’re merely “very fortunate” that prices havne’t jumped.

• firewarrior565

I’ve found my 16GB model to be more then enough storage for me. Even with all of my apps I have 8GB’s free!

• MadManOriginal

It pretty much depends on whether you want to have media on it or not – video takes up lots of space, music not so much but I’m sure many people have >8GB of music. There’s always the USB OTG/host hacks but they aren’t as elegant.

• not@home

16GB would not be enough for me if there is no add on SD card slot. I have more than three times that much in music alone let alone videos for me and videos for kids. Then there are games and documents and epubs and pdfs and ebooks and well you get the point.

• grantmeaname

You could stream the music from a cloud-based service and only keep a couple hours’ worth on the device at a time. Likewise for the video. It’s not ideal, but it’s let me use less than half of the (piddly) capacity of my 8GB Nexus 7.

• bthylafh

Or stream from a home server. I’ve got dynamic DNS set up and Subsonic installed, which can stream music and movies. Computers need Flash installed to access it, and there are several mobile clients available.

• grantmeaname

Interesting, I’ll have to look into that.

• aceuk

16GB isn’t enough if you play games (May Payne etc.) and use Sat Nav apps like CoPilot and TomTom.

And that has nothing to do with how HE uses HIS.

I find 8GB to be a little tight but enough. 16GB for me would let me have a little more installed/copied, but still adequate. So it’s not enough for you, there will soon (apparently) be a bigger option.

• Keylord

After rooting and downloading games on the nexus 7 I’m using, I only have 2 GB left, and it is 16GB. Downloading ubuntu and windows on it contributed too.

• Parallax

[quote<]For now, you can pass the time until the new iPad and 32GB Nexus 7 become available...[/quote<] So would that be the new new iPad? The newer iPad?

• khands

It would be the newer iPad, followed by the newest iPad, to be followed by the newerest iPad.

• pedro

I think it’s the new iPad Air.

• dpaus

What does the current New iPad become? The “Not-Quite-As-New-as-the-New-New-iPad-iPad”??

• MadManOriginal

iPad Light – because post-Jobs, Apple execs do have a sense of humor.

• Beelzebubba9

Only 60 calories?!

• cheerful hamster

It will be called the iPad Light Days, and later they’ll make a huge one called the iPad Maxi.

• Norphy

I wonder a little if this is being brought on more by the Kindle Fire HD more than the alleged iPad Mini. Here at least, the 16GB and 32GB models of the Fire cost exactly the same as the 8GB and 16GB models of the Nexus. Considering that these devices could be considered more comparable than a Nexus and an iPad, people are probably going to look more at these and say “Why would I get a 16GB Google device when I can get a 32GB Amazon device for the same money?”.

• DancinJack

I don’t know. You can get nearly all, if not all, the same content on a Google tablet you can on the Kindle. I’d pay for the lower capacity stock Android tablet over a Kindle Fire any day of the week.

• pedro

True, but you’re an informed geek.

• DancinJack

Yeah I was going to include something like that in my comment. Honestly though, it infuriates me when people don’t do research before buying a product.

• sweatshopking

That’s a rather broad statement.

• jdaven

Does this mean you research every product you buy including food, clothing, small nick-nacks around the home, etc? Does your research only include evaluations of function and worth to you or do you consider other factors like the way in which the product was produced, how the manufacturer treats its laborers or the environmental impact?

It’s easy to make statements like the one in you comment but the reality is, we don’t have the time in our daily lives to check everything and make sure everything we do doesn’t hurt anyone else. Sad reality but true.

• DancinJack

It’s not about researching every single thing about it. It’s about researching what is important to you because you’re right, we don’t have the time to consider every single thing.

• MadManOriginal

True. The easiest way is to just by Apple’s every ‘new shiny,’ right? 🙂

• BobbinThreadbare

If you really did your research you would know you could just root the Fire and install a custom firmware and rock with a lower priced tablet.

The old Fire that is true, but the updated low-end $159 KFire (not to mention all Kindle Fire HD models) has a new lock on the boot loader and so far nobody at XDA has figured out how to unlock it. The only way you’re installing a custom ROM is if you get new “old” stock 2011 Kindle Fires.

Not to mention how much nicer the Nexus 7 is than the Kindle Fire with its hardware volume buttons, more RAM, faster CPU, lower weight, Bluetooh, GPS, and front-facing camera (and higher-resolution screen if you’re comparing the base model).

• bthylafh

*grumble* I knew I should have waited before pulling the trigger on a 16GB unit.

• willmore

It was the right decision at the time, there’s no need to regret that.

• bthylafh

I know, but I just pulled the trigger two days ago.

• Game_boy

I could have bought an iphone 4 but waited a month for 5 to come out, expecting the 4s to drop in price.

After waiting that time, not only did the 4S not drop (UK), but the good deal with unlimited internet on the 4 ended and I got a worse deal than if I just bought.

Don’t ever feel bad about buying the best at the time.