Call of Duty: Black Ops II has a new trailer, zombies

The holiday season approaches, and you know what that means: there’s a new chapter in the Call of Duty franchise. Black Ops II is due to hit shelves in the middle of next month. Despite the fact that we’re still weeks away from the game’s release, an official "launch trailer" has been posted online. This doesn’t mean you’ll get a chance to play early, but the video does provide a taste of what’s in store.

Yep, that looks like Call of Duty to me. This time around, gamers will get to play with invisibility cloaks, jet packs, remote-operated arachnids, and some sort of mechanized hippopotamus. There’s even a nod to base jumping, although you’ll have to supply your own Red Bull.

The trailer’s blaring AC/DC soundtrack is a refreshing change of pace from the seemingly endless stream of game videos laced with thumping dubstep. Still, this looks like yet another Call of Duty game. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, if you’re into heavily scripted shooters with twitchy multiplayer. Black Ops II will also have zombies. In fact, there’s a whole other trailer devoted to what appears to be a rather involved campaign involving the undead.

Mindlessly gunning down zombies has been done to death, of course, but it’s hard to complain about what amounts to a third gameplay mode complementing the single-player campaign and the competitive multiplayer. That said, I’m not sure I’ll bother with Black Ops II. After following the franchise closely for years, I skipped the last chapter and never really felt like I was missing out. Given all the heavily scripted sequences, I almost feel like I’d rather watch Call of Duty as a movie than play it as a game. Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the tip.

• aim18
    • link626

yep, make a trailer full of cutscenes.

you don’t play games anymore. You just watch them play themselves.

those zombie graphics look terrible.

• TravelMug

I’m curious about this one after all the hoopla that happened with the teams making the games. The original Modern Warfare (CoD4) was great fun, I couldn’t get into World at War at all, it felt weird somehow. MW2 was crap, it was like a different team made it not the one that made MW. I think the biggest issue was the loss of control over where and how to play. That “I’ll find a game for you and you will like it!” system was awful and the whole thing was just not enjoyable. Then BO came along and I had my reservations after WaW, but after they fixed the code issues on the PC it was great. Some good maps and some good matches. There was a server selector again with custom servers running, so I could play what I wanted where I wanted. Still playing it now, it’s good for a quick fix like a few frenetic shootouts on Nuketown or a match or two on Array. Tried MW3 when it came out, and somehow they managed to make it even worse than MW2. So I’ll see about BO2, would probably try it first somewhere before forking out the money for it.

• ronch

Second trailer looks like Resident Evil.

• revparadigm

[i<]This time around, gamers will get to play with invisibility cloaks, jet packs...[/i<] Just add skiing for Tribes Ascend?

• Bensam123

GOOD zombie games have not been done to death, they don’t even exist yet. I’m sure a developer will eventually get it right once they stop copying eachother.

Kinda funny when L4D is simply included in another game free of charge. Ammo to the fact that L4D was a let down and a tiny part of a game it could’ve been. Zombie games can be so much more!

I’m sure my friends and I will be playing this over break anyway as there isn’t anything better.

Oh and ancient graphics are ancient to the point that this looks like it’s from a completely different generation of games.

• BobbinThreadbare

Check out Dead State.

• travbrad

In my opinion L4D is one of the greatest games of the last decade. I’ve had L4D2 for 3 years and still play it a couple times a week on average. Obviously you disagree, but for a lot of people a “GOOD zombie game” has already been made.

What makes L4D great isn’t fighting zombies either. It’s all about the asymmetrical multiplayer of Versus mode (especially confogl mod). I wish there were more games of that style (like Natural Selection).

• cynan

You know what wasn’t a good zombie game? Dead Island. I don’t think I’ve ever played a more boring “RPG”. The quests were so monotonous and dismally boring, I could barely manage to get a a third of the way in before throwing in the towel. Playing co-op hardly helped. Wasn’t even worth the $12 on sale. A lot of hype. So little payoff.

• dashbarron

The game is OK; I’d give it a 3/5 if need be.

The concept, story arch, and skill system all sound promising but in the end fail to deliver completely The way the game handles quests, how effective and useful some of the skills are, and what they really could have done with interaction on the island leaves a lot to be desired.

Still, at a cheap 4-pack Steam price, the game would be worth playing through once if you were a zombie fanatic. It has horror aspects to it that make you jump in your seat, it’s fairly realistic looking, and it feels more like actual survival than does L4D.

On a side note, I really enjoyed L4D even though I thought it could be vastly improved. L4D2 was a large step in the wrong direction–and it’s not whining because I wanted a free “expansion.”

• Bensam123

Perhaps my bar is a lot higher. L4D was just a corridor shooter with heavily predictable zombie spawns and ‘specials’ thrown in the mix. It didn’t encompass anything that made zombies fun, like unstoppable amounts of zombies and hoarding (DayZ has this down, but the zombie aspect is terrible). Last stands are also huge, but L4D doesn’t have a lot of those besides highly scripted area, you’re usually on the run and it’s done in such a way so even last stands kinda suck.

The best aspects of zombies have nothing to do with pvp, it’s all coop… being able to survive insurmountable odds with ingenuity, witt, and a lot of skill. L4D has none of that.

If you’re talking about a combination of RTS/FPS Nuclear Dawn has that, really good game too. I don’t know what else would make it like Natural Selection.

• odizzido

Resident evil 2.

For me, a good zombie game is more about survival than anything else. I want to never have enough ammo, to avoid fighting zombies whenever possible, and I want to have to worry about food, water, sleep, etc.

RE2 gets some of these, STALKER gets some others especially after mods….I am not sure if there is a game out there that just throws you into a ruined city and lets you just try to survive?…Day Z? I haven’t played it yet but maybe.

• Srsly_Bro

Enough of this zombie nonsense!

• ALiLPinkMonster

I’m SO done with COD single- and multi-player. Black Ops was when I really started getting tired of it, and MW3 just absolutely killed it. They made it seem like it would be so different, when really it was the worst, most cookie-cutter one yet IMO. The whole franchise is built entirely for the unskilled gamer. At least Halo tends to require SOME sort of gaming prowess (although not so much in Reach). This just looks like more of the same old COD but with some stolen pieces of Ghost Recon glued on. It still looks like crap, and it still looks like it plays like crap.

Zambies, however, I can make an exception for. As long as my friends will play, which I’m 200% sure they will. Running around looking for someone to shoot and ending up being capped by some 12 year old in a corner with the most obnoxious of weapons shouting “GET RAAAAPPPEEEDDD!!!” isn’t nearly as appealing as gunning down an endless amount of the undead with some friends. Yes, it’s been done, but there’s something about how Treyarch does it that just… works. It’s simple and it’s fun. Plus getting the achievements done in Moon and Aztec (or whatever it was called) was actually pretty darn challenging, so hopefully there’s more of that.

• shaq_mobile

original MW was pretty fun, i thought. HC one shot deagle sniping was too fun. Surefire way to get accused of hacking. After MW, it wasn’t much fun. Heck, even original MW had a lot of serious faults.

• henfactor

The zombie trailer is twice as long as the main plot trailer… Is that cause’ they thought it was (relatively) twice as exciting/knew/phresh?

• Farting Bob

All the normal COD trailer needs to do is say “Hey n00bfags, next COD coming next month. Participation is mandatory.” You know what you are getting with the new COD game. Until they change the setting to past or future its going to be just like the last COD game, which was just like the previous one.

• ALiLPinkMonster

They DID change the setting to the future. There’s like, robots and stuff. Your point is no less valid, but still. Facts are facts, despite their irrelevance.

• shaq_mobile

yup, and invisibility cloaks. probly just stole them from the romulans or klingons though. i wonder if youll have to counter it with a tachyon grid.

• paulWTAMU

It looks so much like L4D2 it isn’t even funny…although it is graphically updated I guess.

• fellix

Indeed, I spotted few scenes from the trailer that looked pretty much like a rip-off from some map design features in L4D2. Well, for me the original concept is till on the top, even for the single reason that it allows custom modifications in almost every aspect, that makes the multi-player a unique and unbeatable fun.

• mcforce0208

The will be the best, most amazing call of duty ever. Preorderd it for my ps3, 360 and pc.

• MadManOriginal

mcsarcasm0208?

• jjj

lol i can’t focus on the damn video ,Back in Black is just too distracting.

• MadManOriginal

That’s not AC/DC, it’s Avenged Sevenfold. The voice is immediately recognizable…but I get what you mean Geoff 🙂

*Oops, you mean for the first trailer, AC/DC indeed…the Zombie trailer is Avenged Sevenfold.

• brucethemoose

Downvote me to hell, but this is the most promising COD I’ve seen in awhile. The story actually sounds original/different from the other games, and it looks like they’re doing more than adding a few guns and re-balancing perks this time round.

Funny thing is that it looks alot more like Halo… Soldiers look like ODSTs, cloak suits, drones everywhere, weird guns, those warthogs at 0:46, etc.

Still won’t buy it, though. And I’m pretty desperate for a new game.

• d0g_p00p

How can you be desperate for a new game? There are a ton of games out right now.

Torchlight 2
      Borderlands 2
      Dark Souls
      Black Mesa
      I Am Alive
      The Walking Dead
      Sleeping Dogs
      Dishonored
      X-Com

etc, just to name a few

• zimpdagreene

Yea i will second you on the Sleeping Dogs. I played the demo the first time. And hooked with the full version now.

• crsh1976

You’re officially out of ideas when you resort to adding zombies to a game that has nothing to do with that genre.

What’s next, aliens and flying sharks and photon torpedos?

• cynan

The first Black Ops had zombies too. Granted, this installment seems to feature them more heavily.

• absurdity

It started with CoD: World at War (I think). I never played it, but I assume it had some tie-in to the story. Playing Zombies in Black Ops with some friends is the most fun I’ve had in the CoD games.

• Decelerate

No tie-in, but it was fun nonetheless.

It’s Zombies, how can it not be fun? I think it should be a requirement of FPSes for the near future…

• PrincipalSkinner

Sharks with freakin’ laser beams attached to their heads.

• Game_boy

They added flying sharks to Starcraft, they are the coolest thing in the game.

Call of Duty is officially the most milked franchise in history;
    It has outdone both Star Wars and Command & Conquer*

* [i<]empirical data pulled from a recent report on milked franchises by the Ministry of Truth.[/i<]

• shaq_mobile

Does the Ministry of Truth have any ties with the Ministry of Silly Walks?

• Farting Bob

Most milked franchise of all time?

Mario laughs in COD’s face. 1 game a year for 10 or so years? That’s amateur milking by Nintendo standards.

• glacius555

“Most ambitious Call of Duty ever.”

I wonder where that ambition lies exactly?

• willmore

Seems like I must have been misusing that word for decades.

• Arclight

Wow, it’s just a bit shy of how exciting it is to watch paint dry.

• James296

I have one thing to say for this “new” cod…

ZZZZzzz.z..wha!?..wha?..ooh -.- *rolls over*….zzzzzzZZZZ