AMD doubles down on GPU game bundles

Over the past few weeks, we’ve heard AMD make quite a lot of noise about its Never Settle game bundle, whereby certain Radeons are available with a free license key for Sleeping Dogs. AMD is doubling down on that concept today. As of this morning, you should be able to find new, even more tantalizing bundles involving not just Sleeping Dogs, but several other games, as well.

For example, TigerDirect offers an XFX Radeon HD 7950 with a four-pack game bundle for $329.99 before a $10 mail-in rebate. The bundle includes Far Cry 3, Hitman: Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, and a 20%-off coupon for Medal of Honor Warfighter Deluxe Edition. AMD calls this the Ultimate Never Settle game bundle, and it estimates the total value of the included games at around $170. Both Radeon HD 7950 and 7970 graphics cards are eligible, although you’ll want to make sure the retailer is participating before making your purchase.

Similarly, AMD tells us some Radeon HD 7870, 7850, and 7770 GHz Edition graphics cards should now be available with a free license key for Far Cry 3 and a 20%-off Medal of Honor Warfighter Deluxe Edition coupon. Buy two such cards for a CrossFire setup, and you should get a free key for Hitman Absolution, as well. I’m not seeing those bundles listed just yet, and the new Never Settle landing page on AMD’s website is no help—but the titles are definitely part of this latest promotion.

All of the aforementioned games are part of AMD’s Gaming Evolved program, by the way. That means AMD has worked closely with the developers on optimizations and, in some cases, Radeon-specific features like HD3D and Eyefinity support. AMD has been doubling down on that program, too. We’ll bring you more details about it soon, so stay tuned.

In any event, these bundles could upset the value equation versus competing offerings from Nvidia. GeForces do occasionally come with free games, but rarely more than one. Here, AMD is offering some cards with three brand-new, triple-AAA titles and a coupon for a fourth one. Considering the two companies offer otherwise roughly equivalent performance at those price points, that may be enough to tip the scales for some shoppers. Regardless, this is good news for folks going GPU shopping this holiday season—and if Nvidia chooses to retaliate with beefier bundles of its own, then all the better.

• eloj

It’s a good bundle, if you’re not a gamer.

Sleeping Dogs, fine (but you already own it). Hitman, fine (but you already own it). FC3, whatever (you already decided you didn’t want it), MoH:W a turd.

• DrCR

AMD should consider selling their failing CPU division and focus on their strengths.

• Srsly_Bro

I wasn’t going to get a 7950, but now I see I have no choice.

• shaq_mobile

wow thats totally lame. i just bought my 7950 on friday. dangit… and i wanted all four of those games. -_- first world problems 🙁

• tbone8ty

Return it then

• sweatshopking

yeah, he’s right. return it, and buy a new one. the shipping costs would be less than all those games.

• shaq_mobile

I think I will, depends on how much I decide to care after I get my parts. I suppose I could buy another one now, then return the other one when I get it. :p

• shaq_mobile

lol done. oh the things we do for the vidja games

• indeego

Like just wait for them.

• danny e.

they should quit bundling games and start bundling steam dollars.

• tbone8ty

Do you know what the definition of insanity is?

edit: no no no no please….i was referring to the bad guy in FarCry3 lol

[url<]http://youtu.be/CbY2lCVxefI[/url<] this game will be insane

• jensend

Downthumbed because you’re probably referring to the moronic quote that keeps getting misattributed to Ben Franklin or Einstein. Here’s [url=http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-therapy/200907/the-definition-insanity-is<]one of many articles[/url<] talking about why that quote is not only completely wrong but also harmful. Perseverance is key in most fields of human endeavor, and most great accomplishments have involved, in one sense or another, thousands of hours of trying the same things before getting the desired results. [url=http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Rita_Mae_Brown<]Wikiquote[/url<] has a brief explanation of the actual source of the quote (under "misattributed")- a Narcotics Anonymous book from 1983. There, it's worded differently and almost kinda makes sense in context; an addict can recognize that they find themselves compelled to keep repeating actions that harm themselves and that they need external help to get out of that cycle. The quote rose to popularity as people looking for cheap rhetorical and political gains misquoted it, used it out of context, and falsely attributed it to one or another "great mind" as they tried to denigrate their opponents. It's especially ironic that this gets attributed to Einstein, since he received his Nobel for work in quantum mechanics (the photoelectric effect) and struggled with quantum mechanics all the rest of his life. In normal macroscopic settings, getting different results by doing the same things depends on (sometimes subtle) changes in circumstances. But anyone who's at all familiar with quantum mechanics knows that the standard interpretations predict that perfectly identical experiments will give different results.

• chµck

Come to TR to learn about tech, leave with an enlightened philosophy…

• tbone8ty

Lol brilliant u sir win the Internet award for today!

I was referring to this guy in farcry3 though lol

[url<]http://youtu.be/CbY2lCVxefI[/url<]

• Srsly_Bro

Now I have one more thing to correct people on! Thanks!

• indeego

The condition of being insane; a derangement of the mind.

And upthumb for asking a simple question I can answer.

• DrCR

FC3 reference, guys, afaik.

• Hattig

It’s a nice bundle, AMD finally fighting for market share over the holiday seasons – who would have thought it!

In addition the Catalyst 12.11 drivers give a decent boost in many applications – at least according to the Hexus article earlier today.

• khands

I could see Intel or apple picking up ati in insolvency.

• TheQat

triple-AAA?! THAT’S 9 As!

• Arclight

Dat A

• flip-mode

True, dat.

• Srsly_Bro

I thought it was (AAA)^3

• jdaven

Here are two good write-ups from Anandtech about AMD’s evolving strategy on drivers and bundles:

[url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/6393/amds-holiday-plans-cat1211-new-bundle[/url<] [url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/6353/testing-amds-hd-7970m-enduro-hotfix[/url<] I really see no major advantage of either Nvidia or AMD. Flip a coin and you win either outcome.

• flip-mode

Those are some pretty decent incentives.

Far Cry 3? Sheesh. Far Cry 2 sucked so bad I turned it off after the first couple of hours. Is FC 3 any better? The first Far Cry was so boss I’ll remember it always.

• sweatshopking

3 is looking REALLY solid.

• CaptTomato

They’re well aware of the complaints regarding the second, so one would assume that 3 will have more satisfying gameplay combat, but I always worry about gun mechanics in the age of multiplatform.
      My feeling is that FC3 will be a solid game, but I’m not sure whether it can be a great game unless the mix of shooting and difficulty is decent.

As for storyline, I suspect funny and weird, but would be surprised if the story carries this game.

• sweatshopking

even if single player sucks, IMMA GET IT FOR THE MAP MAKER. i LOVE LOVE LOVED the last one, and made a ton of maps. me and my boys played the ass out of it because of it.

• Disco

I enjoyed Far Cry 2. Lots of wide open areas. Fun sneaking around the great looking environments. Maybe it wasn’t to your taste, but to say it sucked “so bad” makes you look a little infantile. At least there weren’t any Trigen mutants that time around.

• travbrad

FC2 remains the best road block simulator, for what it’s worth.

• BobbinThreadbare

The gameplay footage they released looks like standard scripted corridor shooter.

• Myrmecophagavir

When I bought my 7970 a few months ago they were all coming bundled with Nexuiz, Dirt Showdown and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Was that a UK-only thing?

• quasi_accurate

No, that was an older promotion. It was in the US as well. This is the new one for the holidays.

Not sure.

I’m in the UK too and I’ve noticed that suddenly all the cards that were coming with the triple-pack you mentioned (well, double-pack, Nexuiz used to be free to play) are being replaced by Sleeping Dogs cards instead.

We use the 7970’s at work because they’re give much better Direct3D viewport performance than similarly priced Quadro cards, but they offer stonking OpenCL results too – something the Kepler cards are utter rubbish at.

Throwing a £30 game in with a £100 card is quite the deal though (I’m looking at you, Mr HD7770 Ghz Edition).

• The Egg

This is actually a deciding factor for me. I’ve been waiting for either the 7870 or GTX660 to drop in price a little more, but I had already planned to buy Far Cry 3, so the 7870 is now a better value.

• maxxcool

….. Just makes me sad Amd has fallen this far.

• BestJinjo

More value to the consumer before the key holiday season, more free performance with a driver update, full voltage control and dual-BIOS switches for safe overclocking? I guess we all should hail NV for ripping us off and charging $100 for 10% more performance on GTX680, locking voltage control, not dropping prices, not offering any game bundles for longer than a month. Hey, I guess when AMD delivered 5-10% more performance via a driver update for free that’s “AMD has fallen so far..”.

Yay, NV price premiums and no game bundles FTW!!! If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside to pay NV their “deserved” premiums, and feel that free games to us is a terrible thing, NV will be glad to take your $.

• rrr

Oh, and completely ignoring <$150 segment, releasing crappy 640s and 650s.

• maxxcool

-18 hahaha! fanbois mad ?

Seriously, cutting your profits even further does not solve things…. this does not help AMD.

• clone

you fail by not being able to see the opportunity….. no mad, an empty criticism.

• clone

lol, the first 2 comments in response to AMD offering a better deal are a criticism and a condemnation.

heaven forbid these companies compete and offer up better deals lest they be condemned as failures for doing so.

I suspect the additional perks speaks more loudly to a drop in the overall market as opposed to AMD losing marketshare against Nvidia this round….. could be the opposite though and AMD is just trying to get some additional traction as the holiday season sales start.

regardless good for us now….. no idea what it’ll mean or if it’ll mean anything in the future.

• sweatshopking

It’s not condemnation, it’s concern.

• clone

it could be but I suspect it’s more a gambit to build momentum for the Xmas shopping season, the gfx unit is still generating the profits at AMD and Xmas is the icing

• willmore

Not all criticism is constructive.

• maxxcool

Agree… less profits solves nothing…

• Arclight

[quote=”clone”<]regardless good for us now..... no idea what it'll mean or if it'll mean anything in the future.[/quote<] I'm gonna say what nobody is daring - lack of furthur driver support due to the company going bankrupt and being liquidated.

• sweatshopking

I don’t think anyone wasn’t daring, it just never occurred to us.

• clone

if AMD went bankrupt which is still a long way off, the gfx side would likely be one of the first units to be bought and maintained, no worries on that front at all.

as for being “daring”…. their are ppl who are “daring” enough to walk around with signs that say the end is near, it’s been going on since mankind got out of the primordial soup and while 1 day the world will end the reality is they’ll all be considered idiots… not daring.

• Arclight

Well yeah sure, for you things don’t change. After all humanity will surely last forever, even after all matter in the Universe disolves into a soup./s

Things do end, it’s a reality we have to accept. More than how many of species that lived on Earth have become extinct? For how long have modern humans existed?

Thinking that a company like AMD will never cease to exist is, imo, idiotic. Why wouldn’t they go bankrupt? It’s a possibility and some people might fear that. We all seen their financial results in a recent article. Things look bad and they invested like 20% of what they are worth into a company that might not provide the edge they hoped for.

• clone

reread my previous post, slowly, aloud, several times, write it down on paper, it’s clear you didn’t understand it…… fix your response, if your response reflects comprehension I’ll consider it…. atm it’s ridiculous.[quote=”Arclight”<]Well yeah sure, for you things don't change. After all humanity will surely last forever, even after all matter in the Universe disolves into a soup./s Things do end, it's a reality we have to accept. More than how many of species that lived on Earth have become extinct? For how long have modern humans existed? Thinking that a company like AMD will never cease to exist is, imo, idiotic. Why wouldn't they go bankrupt? It's a possibility and some people might fear that. We all seen their financial results in a recent article. Things look bad and they invested like 20% of what they are worth into a company that might not provide the edge they hoped for.[/quote<]

• BestJinjo

You can’t troll harder if you tried. If we looked at AMD’s desktop discrete GPU market share, it has hardly moved since HD4000 series and continues to be in favor of NV.

It appears we have an Apple i-sheep problem in the GPU industry and they are called NV fanboys. When AMD offered HD4870 for $299, and beat $399 GTX260, NV fanboys still gave NV their $. When AMD sold HD5850/5870 completely uncontested for 6 months at remarkable value of $259 and $369, NV fanboys stood still and waited 6 months to give NV their $. When AMD offered HD6950 for $299 that unlocked into a 6970 and offered performance just 15-20% within GTX580 for $200 less, NV fanboys still gave NV their money.

You can say AMD cards are not selling as well because of fears that AMD might go bankrupt, but it’s not the real reason. The real reason is NV users have shown for 3 consecutive generations that they don’t value price/performance, overclocking, or free unlocking (i.e., free performance) unless it’s NV that does it (GTX460). This generation NV fanboys downplayed HD7850/7950/7970’s remarkable overclocking capabilities. It’s the same theme over and over – NV users won’t switch even if AMD offers more value, more performance and more overclocking.

Never in the history of ATI/AMD has AMD offered both more performance and price/performance at the same time like they do this generation for single GPU cards. If AMD still doesn’t gain market share next quarter in discrete GPUs, it’ll be a full confirmation we have an “Apple i-sheep” problem without a doubt. I guess I am not surprised since NV fanboys still bought GeForce 5 and 7 and those were much inferior compared to what ATI offered.

Just look at sales of GTX550Ti, GT640, 650, 650Ti on Amazon. People will just throw $ at NV even when they release garbage!

• sweatshopking

Tells you how many of them are selling… Not a good sign….

• ronch

They sure wanna trim profits even further.

• nanoflower

They will be trimming profit margins but I would guess that they are still making money on each sale. If anything this should help them move more units as we move into the holiday season. One can only hope that they’ve worked out that this will be a better move for their bottom line. That is until/unless Nvidia decides to join them.

I guess it also says that they are going to hold the line on prices instead of trying to compete there. Which is an interesting choice.

• Peldor

There’s no way they are making any money! Look at this:

[quote<]three brand-new, triple-AAA titles [/quote<] You can't give away that many AAAAAAAAA titles for free! That alone has gotta be worth $300+!

• Meadows

Are you familiar with the differences between manufacturing/development costs and price tags?

New games don’t cost $60 to make, retailers don’t pay $60 for them, but the customer still does. Don’t extrapolate.

• TurtlePerson2

From what I understand, these games cost the hardware companies not very much to include. For example, with Far Cry 3, they may be paying Ubisoft $10 or less per copy. People perceive the item as being worth $20 or $30 more because of the inclusion of the game. It’s a win-win for the hardware company, which is why we see so many of those bundles.

• MadManOriginal

Plus, companies like Ubisoft can blame reduced revenue on piracy. Win-win-win!

I would appreciate the “OEM” version being listed at etailers more often too.

[list<][*<]I don't need more DVI > VGA adapters, these now go straight into the bin. [/*<][*<]I don't need more double molex > PCI-E six-pin adapters, these also go straight into the bin. [/*<][*<]I don't need more crossfire bridges. BIN. [/*<][*<]The glossy outer box goes straight in the bin anyway [/*<][*<]The drivers disc and 12-page installation are usually useless. [/*<][*<]I file these away. [/*<][*<]No honestly, I do! [/*<][*<]Yes, my filing cupboard is on the floor under my desk. [/*<][*<]Yes, it has cylindrical shape. [/*<][*<]I know, I know... Sometimes I accidentally put empty cartons in there too. [/*<][*<]I might need them later. [/*<][*<](but not 'tomorrow' later, it all gets archived every evening)[/*<][/list<] Remove those things, remove the games and the $5 or $10 associated cost per game, and give me a card that is $30 cheaper than everything on the market.

• Jason181

They might be trimming profit [i<]margins[/i<], but profits themselves will probably improve.