Beast of America is the new BioShock Infinite trailer

Dishonored won’t be the freshest steampunk-infused shooter for long. BioShock Infinite is coming in February, and there’s a new “Beast of America” trailer to whet your appetite:

There’s plenty of action in the trailer, and the combat looks nice and frantic. For me, though, the graphics are the most impressive part—not necessarily the fancy effects, but the strong sense of style and artistic direction that permeates everything from the weapons to the enemies to the environments. Columbia, the floating city that serves as the setting for BioShock Infinite, is very much a place I’d like to explore.

The trailer also has a rocking soundtrack. Instead of the usual thumping techno, we’re treated to Nico Vega’s appropriately titled Beast. I keep humming it as I write this.

While I’m looking forward to BioShock Infinite, I can’t help but be troubled by recent departures at developer Irrational Games. AI lead Don Norbury and combat design director Clint Bundrick both left the company earlier this month. Art director Nate Wells jumped ship this summer along with three others, while producer Joseph Faulstick exited the company in May. Irrational co-founder Ken Levine has chalked up the departures to normal turnover, and I hope they haven’t affected the game adversely.

• squeeb

I can’t wait!!

Well, actually I can. Currently playing NS2, BF3, LoL, and Planet Side 2 beta…

• sweatshopking

play hon.

• CaptTomato

Ok downvoters, explain why Bioshock is a great game…?

• dashbarron

If it’s anything like the original in terms of quality, it will be a GOTY.

Bioshock achieved glory for the graphics, art/style of visuals, voice acting, unique mechanics and combat, tweakable skills and abilities, story, and story-environmen/”feel” to the world.

Hard act to follow but it’s predecessor was definitely GOTY worthy–I hope this follows.

• CaptTomato

We must’ve played different games, as Bioshock was console clunky on shooting…..nothing like slick PC games.

• Guts_not_Dead

What’s this game about? Like what’s the plot of the game? I see skinheads or Nazis maybe (could be mistaken), and I see important historical figures in American history.
    I’m kinda trying to understand what is this game trying to deliver in terms of good and bad or right and wrong.

I have a cinema studies elective class and this game might be a good starting point for my project assignment.

• Glix

Simply put:

Go play Bioshock.

I don’t care what you play it on, or with, and the difficulty is up to you, but just go play it!

• CaptTomato

It’s not that great, and Bioshock2 seems a lot worse.

• Bensam123

Compare graphics in this to graphics in Dishonored… Dishonored looks relatively poopy to begin with. They’re both designed specifically for consoles, so why does this game look so much better?

That isn’t saying a lot though, when comparing graphcial fidelity to other PC focused games, but it’s still something worth noting.

• swaaye

I found a lot of Dishonored to be rather impressive actually. There are even some really striking areas.

This looks good too. They’ve definitely dived deep into the bizarre.

• FuturePastNow

Looks like a bizarre, but fun, game.

• DancinJack

I went to Youtube immediately after I saw this trailer yesterday to listen to the song again. Pretty good tune.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4aaScgdXSQ[/url<]

• DarkUltra

Too loud, no dynamic range left.

• DancinJack

Well, gotta complain about something don’t we?

• Meadows

He’s actually right. It hurts just listening to it.

• DancinJack

He is right. I didn’t say he was wrong though. I just thought the combination of the trailer and the song were pretty cool.

• Bensam123

Reminds me of a lot of songs out of the 70s and 80s.

• Noigel

[url=http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2764#comic<]Seems loosely appropriate.[/url<]

• d0g_p00p

That comic is about as funny as Garfield and Family Circle strips.

• sweatshopking

i actually quite like the song.

• codedivine

Looks awesome! Looking forward to it!

• lilbuddhaman

Just going to guess and say that the team wanted a certain vision (more story), but the higher ups said otherwise (more action), and the departures were in response to this.

• flip-mode

Wow, we’re just wild guessing now? I’m guessing the coffee was sub-par, parking too far, busted HVAC, not enough window offices, and that cheap toilet paper that leaves you skunky and desperate for a shower.

• lilbuddhaman

Honestly the “wild guess” was off, seeing as how the AI and Combat Leads left, which implies it was more about some core aspects of the game rather than just a “story” element.

Think about that though, the two guys that have the most direct effect on the game’s mechanics left mid-development, is that EVER a good thing? And that’s ignoring the art director and producer.

Clint has SR3 (a semi-casual but extremely fun spoof on GTA), Red Faction Guerilla (Highly rated, my fav of the series personally), and Nascar 08 (don’t play these types, personally, gotta get your foot in the door, right?). Not a bad resume. Don Norbury on the otherhand not as clear of a resume. Joseph Faulstick has a long past, with many big names under his belt, and looks to have worked his way up the ranks over a long period.

All looked to have joined MS for a “secret” project, perhaps it was just a sweeter deal moving over them? It seems like MS wanted to have Irrational games as their own, and instead of buying them out cherry picked the talent they really wanted.

Maybe their part in making Bioshock infinite was more or less done, and all that was left was grunt work. Where this can be (very) bad is that the core mechanics are ok, the initial levels are good, but then the game might fall apart at later stages of the story/combat, due to not having an “expert” do a once over before shipping. I’m sure you can think of quite a few games where things just got silly/boring/broken in the last 1/4 of the game, I know I can.

• bthylafh

Looks decent. Do I remember rightly that they’ve gotten rid of that obnoxious always-on DRM?