New Corsair case costs $59, doesn’t look it

Corsair has a new case out, and this time, the company is aiming to please cash-strapped enthusiasts. It might just succeed, too. The new Carbide Series 200R has much better looks and functionality than you’d expect given the $59 price tag. Behold:

The Carbide Series 200R has an upside-down layout with the PSU at the bottom and sideways storage bays. Corsair provides cable-routing holes (albeit without rubber grommets), tool-less operation (only the motherboard requires a screwdriver to install, the company claims), and a matte black finish—all staples of typically higher-priced offerings.

On top of that, the 200R has plenty of room for hardware. Along with an ATX mobo and seven expansion cards, you can cram in three 5.25" drives, four 3.5" mechanical hard drives, and four 2.5" solid-state drives. Corsair provides two 120-mm fans out of the box—one at the front and one at the back—and it leaves room for another six fans, five of which can be either 140 mm or 120 mm. As icing on the cake, the company includes not one, but two USB 3.0 ports at the front.

That’s definitely a pretty complete package for 59 bucks. This bad boy may just have what it takes to put other budget enclosures like the Antec Three Hundred to shame.

• just brew it!

Nice looking case, BTW. It’ll definitely be in the running if I need a case for a budget build any time soon.

• shaq_mobile

the only thing that really hooks me are those 2.5″ drives. my ssd is currently hanging sideways in my case, as it was a free case, with most of the parts missing and *certainly* before SSDs were around.

• Ven1ger

Power supply on bottom of case? Since my computers are usually on the ground, the dust buildup gets kind of extensive on the bottom of my cases. Bad enough the dust buildup in some of the power supplies when they are at the top of the case, but seriously, the dust buildup in the PS will be a lot more.

Other issue I have with this is that power cables will have to hang on the pins that they are plugged into, putting weight on those pins more so than if the power supply was at the top of the case, where the cables are hanging from the power supply.

Have several computers at work where the power supply sits at the bottom of the case, and after a few issues that several have cropped with, I’ve had to recommend that they move the computers to their desktops and lay them flat.

• l33t-g4m3r

I’ve been a fan of Raidmax for cheap cases, their Smilodon is what I’m currently using.
      Here’s a few of the features I like:
      One-Click Foldout Motherboard Tray – Removable
      Click-Lock Tool-Less Installation Design – 7 Slots
      Removable Hard Drive Rack

Hard to find these features from anyone else at a reasonable price.

• atryus28

Dust is dust and I have had no more or less problems with a bottom mounted PSU. Properly designed bottom mounted cases have a filter that can be cleaned which is better then no filter in top mount.

Your concern about “weight” of the pins being pulled I call BS on. I fail to see how the weight changes at all, gravity is gravity at this height, besides this case mounts all the wires from behind and it is extremely easy to manage to have almost no weight at all on the pins.

Unless you have shag carpet there is almost no difference with airflow under the case on a business carpet vs a desktop. IF you have cheap cases with bottom mounted PSU’s you issue is not the mounting position but the quality of the case.

That’s actually a very nice looking case, at [i<]any[/i<] price, let alone $59. My only gripe is those multi-size fan grilles which always look ugly; It needs to be $5 more to cover them up (and ideally with snap-on fan filters).

• tanker27

Knowing Corsair, like they did with the 800D and 650D, they will offer a solid side panel.

Doesn’t fix the ugly top though :\

Yeah, this case is really, really attractive. Totally understated and not bling-y at all, which is my style.

• ET3D

Looks like a very nice case, one that doesn’t do anything seriously wrong. I could use a new case and this is so far at the top of the list, although I’d be happy to read a review first.

I’d second this, would love a review of this case.

• superjawes

Not only this one…but I’ve been seeing the “Vengeance” cases advertised in TR banners…which look like great alternatives to the 650D I was eyeing for my next build.

Would definitely love to see reviews of some cases.

• ET3D

Vengeance looks good but is out of my price range.

• Arclight

Am i reading this right 490 x 270 x 560mm?

270mm wide? WTF?

The cooling features also look nice:
    [quote<](x5) 120mm/140mm fan mount locations, (x3) 120mm fan mount locations, Includes (x1) front-mounted 120mm fan and (x1) rear 120mm fan[/quote<] The only thing that might stop someone from buying it's that cheap plastiky look of the front bezel.

• Airmantharp

270mm does seem like a typo- it’s probably closer to 170mm.

• ET3D

From the image is look to be around 200mm. Although interestingly the figure in inches matches 270mm.

• albundy

i’m usually not the first one to h8, but would it have killed them to sculpt some handles on this cheap looking case? or just kick in a dent or something that you can grab the case with? otherwise looks like there’s less than $5 of material and workmanship.

• ET3D

“i’m usually not the first one to h8”

So you’re the type to wait for someone else to do it first before you chime in?

• Johnny5

“As icing on the cake, the company includes not one, but two USB 3.0 ports at the front.”
    But wait, there’s more…

• Arclight

[quote<]But wait, there's more...[/quote<] Like what? A pound of crack cocain and a female escort?

• Squeazle

Censored and censored.

What can’t it sell?

Edit: The explicit version occurred to me before I could help myself. I fixed it.

• ET3D

If you order right now we’ll throw in not one, not two, but three screws, as well as an instruction manual!

• Welch

Looks like i found my new favorite business cases… ill have to try these out to compare them to the larger NZXT 210 Elite.

Looks like Newegg is going to loose my business on these though. Way to gouge people. Agree with the above comments regarding Newegg simply trying to get by on its previous good reputation. Is the company even owned or ran by the same people that got it that reputation? I complained to one of their managers after the third time that I found a discount offered on normal newegg that they refused to honor on their neweggbusiness.com. Really? Screw the people who spend lots of money with you…. Bravo.

• atryus28

No, Newegg is no longer owned by the founder. He sold the company to a Chinese company a few years ago. That’s why it now has all that other non PC stuff on there. It is just a US front for Chinese goods now. They are not what they used to be at all and now my local Micro-center matches or beats them so I usually buy from Micro-center instead. It’s on the way home from work anyway so no big deal for me.

• wiak

it looks perfect as a fileserver too
    easy to move hdd bays, not to many so that might be a problem but hey, you can allways use some HDDto5.25″ bays πŸ˜‰ or just use 3 hotswaps on front and a usb dvd drive ^^

• flip-mode

I’d love to see an mATX version.

Yeah, something to rival the Fractal Core 1000

• Bensam123

2.5″ bays need to die. You can use brackets to put a 2.5 in a 3.5, but not the other way around. 3.5 mechanicals aren’t going to disappear. 3.5 SSDs may eventually appear though.

• internetsandman

So you’d rather pay extra for a bracket than be able to mount the SSD in its own proper bay?

• Sam125

Well I don’t know about you but I use a case through multiple upgrades so avoiding one with features that might become obsolete sounds like a good idea to me. Doesn’t matter if you’re spending $60 or $600 on an enclosure.

• Bensam123

You can simply mount a SSD to the side of a 3.5 bay if you don’t want to pay money… They cost all of 4$ on Newegg let alone Amazon.

And yes I would compared to having a completely worthless bay.

• Airmantharp

You can just tape the SSD to anything solid, tape is cheap.

• Bensam123

I don’t know… I actually suggested using screws, there may be a difference in severity in here some where.

• wiak

they realy should have made 2.5″ bays that you can just remove some parts and make them into 3.5″ bays, 3.5″ bays ftw πŸ˜‰

• Bensam123

They have 3.5 trays with 2.5 slots in them… Antec makes those. Sounds remotely like a 3.5″ bay with 2.5 mounting hardware… although that may be the point… >>

• Airmantharp

If you need more than this case has to offer- you’re quite a special case, pun intended.

Really, most systems should have a single HDD and a single SDD. Most cases support plenty more.

• travbrad

Yep if you have so many drives that this case doesn’t have enough 3.5″ bays, then you can probably afford a bit more expensive case to fit your niche needs. This is supposed to be a relatively cheap desktop PC case, not a server case.

If we are going to drop anything I’d say we can lose some 5.25″ bays. The last time I had 2 optical drives was more than a decade ago (in the early days of CD burning), and 3-4 is pretty much unheard of.

• Bensam123

I don’t know about you, but I would like the case to last through unforseen scenarios… The whole future proofing and upgradeability thing.

• Airmantharp

…doesn’t exist. If you wind up needing more than four drives in a desktop (not a workstation, for which this case is not meant), you probably need a NAS or similar solution.

• Bensam123

Because you’ve never met anyone with more then four drives in their computer?

People don’t need to adhere to labels if they don’t want to. They don’t go ‘oh hey this isn’t supposed to have more then four drives in it because it’s a desktop, so I’m not going to add another one!’.

• atryus28

It’s not always about storage alone. I am not currently doing this but I have had 4 drives in my machine easy. 1 for my Nix install, 1 for my win install, one for vms and one for my profile/storage. I have also had one for OS, one for games and important apps and one for VMs. I have all my “storage” needs else where in which I run 4, 2 TB drives in raid 5. My HTPC has a massive amount of storage connected to it, I don’t like streaming things I own. Still, 2 to 4 HDs is easy to imagine for a desktop. Not everyone is all about doing nothing other than “consuming” things with a simple phone or tablet.

• ShadowEyez

I run two SSD’s and when I get a new case, I plan to get one with the 2.5″ bays. This one looks pretty complete. By having the 2.5″ bays built-in, it’s just one less thing to have to put into the case. Just my two cents

• heinsj24

I like to have one optical bay, then nothing but 2.5″ bays. One or two for SSDs and the rest for laptop drives. For the space/weight of one 3.5″ drive, I could have four 2.5″ drives.

• Bensam123

So… what happens if you decide to buy a 3.5 mechanical like the majority of consumers?

• heinsj24

I’m done buying 3.5″ for desktop computers. 3.5″ needs to go the way of the 5″ hdd for consumer applications. Too hot, too noisy. Cost is roughly the same when you are talking about drives offering the same capacity – a 7200rpm, 750GB 2.5″ HDD can be had for the same price as a 3.5″ HDD. The only advantage 3.5″ offers is price/capacity at 1TB and above – but that’s being chiseled away.

Yes, there’s a place for 3.5″ in storage enclosures… NAS, personal cloud, media server appliance… that sort of thing where abundant cheap storage is needed – in a device that can be hidden away in a closet, basement, or attic and rarely touched. But then, 2.5″ make sense here as well.

• Bensam123

A 3.5″ mechanical drive offers better price, speed, and size. Which are essentially all the main characteristics of a HD.

• Airmantharp

Have you used a WD, Seagate or Samsung Green drive? Hell, even the Samsung F3 was damn quiet, and that was in an uninsulated Lian-Li.

I get that 2.5″ drives are nice, but really, all spinners are on their way out. I have a pair of 2TB Greens, a 1TB Green, and a 1TB Black spread across two desktops, and I don’t expect to be buying any more when they eventually kick the bucket. They’re not even all full.

• flip-mode

Get 2.5″ mechanical drives, then? They make 1TB, 2TB now….

• Squeazle

Less for more money.

• internetsandman

I thought Fractals Core 1000 already punted the Antec 300 out of the budget throne? This case is more expensive and the only clear advantage is the ATX support, which is moot when you consider the prevalence of MATX in budget builds, as well as the power that can be put into higher end MATX boards. I like the case, but in terms of budget, Fractal’s offering is 20 bucks cheaper, I’d take that instead

• vvas

Depends what your priorities are really. My concern with both the Core 1000 and the Antec 300 is that the open-grill-style front of the case probably won’t do much for noise isolation, which is something some people care about a lot while others not so much. (As you can imagine, I belong to the former category.) But I understand why someone who aims for the cheapest possible decent case might choose to ignore that.

As for ΞΌATX, although I agree with you and I’d love to switch to it, realistically I still have a lot of dependence on expansion cards to be able to do that. One day…

Thus this 200R looks very tempting actually, along with the Bitfenix Shinobi they make my shortlist for low-price-but-high-quality cases.

• Flying Fox

The 200R seems to have too many holes to be a silent case though.

• RickyTick

The Antec 300 is a terrific case and can often be found for less than $50, but this looks like a solid contender.

Now if I can just find the Obsidian 650D for less than $150 I’ll be set.

• brucethemoose

The Antec 300 Illusion is still the best value case IMO. 3 speed adjustable 120mm fans + a 140mm for less than $70 gives it an edge over this one.

• Zoomer

I’ll take the stock 300 which usually goes for less and saves me the effort of ripping out all the illusion’s fans.

• ET3D

Thanks for the mention of the Antec 300. It does look like good value, but I like the drive cage direction on the 200R and how it looks like there’s a lot of space for the graphics card. These are two things which bother me in the current case and the Antec 300, while it’s better than my current case, is still not enough of a step forward IMO.

• PixelArmy

I have the 300 and it’s great, especially for the price but being older only has USB 2.0. Its successor, the 300 Two, (I think it maybe if it reads like the sequel rather than 302) takes care of that and is a little bigger (it fits a bigger gfx card). Cause of those details, I think this 200R competes more with that.

Edit: It’s successor -> Its successor

• RickyTick

Excellent point. ^1

I’d also add that you can sometimes find the 300 with the BP430 psu for under $100, which is a nice deal too.

• ish718

Recession cases, cool!

• chuckula

Review Review Review!

• willmore

Why did that bring to mind he image of a crowd chanting for a Roman gladiator to finish off an oponent?

• chuckula

If Emperor Wasson finds the case to have not acquitted itself well in combat, he gives it the thumbs up* and Damage Labs lives up to its name….

* Yes I saw Gladiator too. In the real games a “thumbs up” was really more of a throat-cutting gesture for when it was time to finish off the opponent.

• cynan

Thumbs out was indeed the sign for a kill (but not necessarily up or down), while an outstretched fist with no protruding thumb at all was the signal for acquittal.

• willmore

News and a history lesson!

• ALiLPinkMonster

I love how the budget case market is becoming increasingly competitive. A lot of simplistically stylish, highly functional cases can be found for under $100.

• xii

I suddenly realised that when you replace “case” with “handbag”, we all sound like a bunch of teenage girls.

• willmore

OMG!

• shaq_mobile

Well Corsair has always been on the edge of handbag style. I, however, am going with the more Mugatu’s avante-garde “Derelicte” line.

• Voldenuit

Kung-fu good, Prime Minister of Malaysia, BAD!

• ALiLPinkMonster

This is the internet. We ARE all teenage girls.

• jihadjoe

Rule #30

• Dygear

I thought it was the other way ’round. All people that say they are teenage girls are in fact balding male FBI agents.

• indeego

Squee!!! USB 3!!!! Negative pressure! OMFG!

Great. Now I’m going to read “handbag” when the new system guide comes out.

• ludi

Oh, yeah, like, so totally!

• just brew it!

If you replace beer with baked goods, home brew club meetings can sound a little like a bunch of old ladies getting together to swap their favorite cookie recipes! πŸ˜€

• wiak

awesome!

• Vasilyfav

I’ve never understood people who spent more than $100 on a case anyway. That money is almost always better spent elsewhere on more powerful components or high-quality peripherals.

• Airmantharp

~$100 is really the limit without trying to do something exceedingly special like mITX or massive airflow like a Fortress 2; you can tune the fans in any case and choose quiet components. Hell, you should do that no matter what you’re building.

• Flying Fox

I have to say higher end ones with like all aluminum may go up to $200. A case, like monitor, can survive multiple upgrades so you definitely don’t want to get something that you regret too soon, functionality (like missing fan location, cable management holes, etc.) and aesthetics wise.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Well if you have the money and you’re building something like the double-stuff, I can understand showing it off with a really nice high end case. But yeah, if you’re putting an i3 and a 7770 in a $200 case, you lack logic and common sense.

• Airmantharp

An i3 and an HD7770 in a $200 case is probably pretty common with HTPCs… but otherwise, you’re right. It’s not very smart.

• entropy13

I see Silverstone HTPC cases with PSUs at around $116-$160. So you can think of the PSUs as being at least $50-$60 dollars, then the case “only” is not really $100.

• Airmantharp

True, but when getting some truly fashionable cases, prices can go up in a hurry.

I’m still eying a case for an HTPC build- I’ve been using a laptop, which while working exceedingly well, is a little limited.

• entropy13

The only differences between the $100 Silverstone case with the $200 Silverstone case is the size of PSU they can accommodate and the latter would obviously be slightly larger. In aesthetic terms they are still roughly the same.

• Bauxite

Spent $250 on a nice aluminum case in 2001. PC-76 (lol @ [url<]http://www.dansdata.com/pc76.htm)[/url<] Still using it in a dual socket server, replaced the fans awhile back. A good ATX case from back then is still useful today. Any other part from 2001 is e-waste, except [i<]maybe[/i<] a really nice CRT for certain uses. There is always new crap around the corner, maxing out is for suckers. I [i<]do[/i<] understand people that make sweeping generalizations and can only see things from their own limited viewpoint. I feel sorry for them πŸ™‚ and stay far away.

• siberx

Absolutely with you. I spent about $250 on this sucker:
          [url<]http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-112-067-06.jpg[/url<] About... 6 years ago. It has served me very well since then, and I have absolutely no plans to replace it in the next 5 years. Assuming I *do* get about 10 years out of it, I'm only paying $25 a year towards computer cases, instead of $60-$100 every 2-3 years for something more pedestrian - and all this time I've enjoyed a spacious, lightweight, classy looking case. Not saying it's worth it for everyone, but if you've got big computers with lots of parts (watercooling especially) it can very much be worth the investment to pick up a nice large aluminum unit for a couple hundred bucks.

• Jason181

If your budget is limited such that an extra $100 would actually provide considerably more performance, then probably yes. But remember, not everyone is in the same situation when it comes to priorities and finances.

• jjj

Got to love the PC case market in the last few years ,lots of cheap cases that are very capable.

• Shambles

Amazing what happens when you have competition.

*Glares at Seagate/Western Digital*

• Airmantharp

They’re in competition with Moore’s Law, and losing :).

• internetsandman

I thought Intel would have been a better candidate to receive a meaningful glare in this case.

• Shambles

I would agree however state the meaningful difference is that Intel doesn’t have to compete because they’ve left their competition in the dust. Seagate/WD don’t compete because they agree to maintain the same levels of mediocracy.

• shaq_mobile

[url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018[/url<] doesn't look like it costs $59 newegg is breakin mah ballz πŸ™

• Price0331

I really think newegg has been coasting on their reputation as an excuse to not price competitively anymore. I’ve started to go back to my local microcenter to get the best price…

• nanoflower

They have been doing just that. That’s why I will look elsewhere to buy new products unless Newegg is having a sale on that item. Their sale prices are still good but otherwise you are better off looking at Amazon or Microcenter or even Frys.

• shaq_mobile

yeah i think they have decent prices still but they do crap like this, where if you aren’t careful they wreck you.

• lilbuddhaman

Newegg is becoming like Amazon, or better yet like Target. Occasional great deals, some good deals daily, on average slightly higher than smaller more specialized places. For the world of computer hardware that is.

• Bensam123

I don’t think Amazon qualifies as this at all… Amazon is made up of multiple retailers. You can buy directly from Amazon, fulfilled by a different company through Amazon, or order from a different company altogether through Amazon.

• cjava2

Has anyone noticed that NewEgg has been recently hawking cheap “expensive” watches and jewelry from China on its front page?

Random generic watch..original price: [s<]$599[/s<] NewEgg price: $59 Yeah right, NewEgg... Also this case is $69 shipped at Amazon.

• Bensam123

Definitely… For a few of my orders now I simply look for the item on Newegg, then put the SN into Amazon to find the item at a cheaper price (sometimes quite a bit cheaper).

• travbrad

Yep I find myself ordering from Newegg less and less, and instead ordering from Amazon, BHPhotoVideo, or going to Microcenter. Newegg used to have the best prices on almost everything and very fast shipping, but now they have become less price-competitive, and have merely average shipping times.

They do still have what is probably the best UI design when browsing hardware though. Their search filter system has so many more options than most sites.

• MadManOriginal

Prices aren’t bad, depends on thie item – I’d say it’s more like other places have caught up. Of course no one can compare to Microcenter’s CPU deals. Their shipping is still one of the best for me, only Amazon can compete, but I am one shipping day away from their NJ warehouse so I get everything in 1-2 days with any shipping method.

• albundy

same here. been lovin the TD/Compusa rebate deals! eggy just doesnt offer anything competitive anymore. all i get from them is spam flyers with cold deals.

• Bauxite

You guys just noticed? Been like that for years.

When the intel G2 SSDs broke $1000 with a MSRP half that only a fool would fail to sanity check their prices going forward.

They do have good sales and regular prices on [i<]some[/i<] things, at [i<]some[/i<] times.

• ALiLPinkMonster

It might go down. They’ve been known to inflate the price a little when something has just been released.

Honestly, it seems to be worth it even at $80.

• MadManOriginal

Cyril [i<]did[/i<] say 'doesn't look it' and nope, it sure doesn't look like it costs $59!

• willmore

Then the obvious rejoinder of “…because it don’t cost $59, it costs $79” comes to mind.

• JustAnEngineer

$90 delivered.

• willmore

How about we wait until it’s actually entered into their inventory system before we deride them too much? This just looks like a placeholder entry until actual product data becomes available.

• Sam125

Yeah, you’re more than likely correct but people on the internet apparently like to complain about stuff. (The heck, you say!?!?)

I think this case looks kind of nice, especially for $59.

• willmore

Yeah, if I were looking for a smaller case, this would be nice. I went with a CM 932 HAF a while back. It’d pretty large, but that makes it easy to work with. Since the CPU is water cooled and all of that plumbing is in the case, I need all the room I can get. Winter project: build a ‘chimney’ which will house the pump, radiator, and fans.. I need to build the box, replumb my PC and design a small uC to monitor the fans and pump, and once they’re spinning, to turn on a relay to power the PC.