id’s Carmack: Rage mod tools coming ”soon”

John Carmack’s Twitter feed is mostly made up of geeky observations about programming and rocket science. Once in a while, though, the id Software Technical Director posts something that makes PC gamers smile. He did just that earlier this week, teasing the impending arrival of mod tools for Rage:

@investor_dan BFG work pushed the Rage tools, but Real Soon Now. I hope. Sigh. I think we have made poor decisions on this all year.

("BFG work" alludes to id Software’s efforts on Doom 3: BFG Edition, a "remastered" version of the 2004 classic. BFG Edition came out earlier this month on the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.)

According to a May 2011 story by PC Gamer, Rage was supposed to come with mod tools right out of the box. id Creative Director Tim Willits commented at the time, "Pull down the console, type ‘id studio’, then press enter. Then, bam, there’s all the tools we use." I guess that never happened, because when Rage finally debuted on October 4, 2011, the tools were nowhere to be found. We haven’t heard much in the way of updates since then, either. (Thanks to Joystiq and NeoGAF for the links.)

• TurtlePerson2

I heard John Carmack talk at Quakecon last year. When I read his Twitter feed I realized that I was reading it in his voice. It makes a lot more sense when you’ve heard him talk before.

• TurtlePerson2

I would say that releasing mod tools for an old game that everyone has forgotten about won’t matter, but DayZ did come from Arma 2 more than a year after I heard anything about Arma.

• PenGun

Long gone. We have no 64 bit executable either and quite frankly the game although pretty was so poor I could care less.

Abandoned at birth and no support or promised stuff. The BFG launch is quite pitiful as well with a game redone for the consoles then ported back to the PC.

Bye id, you were long my favorite but now have about the cred of Ubisoft.

• Myrmecophagavir

*Couldn’t* care less (sorry).

• PenGun

No problem. I hold human stupidity as it’s main point. Comic relief for an austere universe.

• Meadows

The sad thing is, I already forgot about Rage.

• lilbuddhaman

Didn’t even enter my radar, other than chuckling at the problems I read on here about it. New ID game + engine? Guaranteed issues or just plain terrible tech demo posing as a game.

• mcnasty72@gmail.com

I didn’t forget about it because I don’t buy $50 dollar paperweights.

• tviceman

Rage was just an engine demonstration wrapped inside a fairly weak game. There are moments of sheer amazing technical achievements in that game, but it’s generally overshadowed by very poor up close detail, poor story, and abrupt ending. I can see the potential with this engine, though.

• StashTheVampede

It’s all Bethesda’s now. Let’s hope they do *something* with the Rage engine for a slick MP-focused game.

• l33t-g4m3r

What? Rage wasn’t any worse than borderlands, maybe better. The reviews have been pretty positive, so IMO you’re pulling an opinion out of thin air. The detail wasn’t any worse than your standard console port, which it was a trade off between up close and distance views. The story was decent, although it was more the characters that pulled it off. The ending was a little abrupt, but it felt more like it was deliberately left open for a sequel. Not a bad game overall, and spiderbots are a definite bonus.

The engine may have modding potential, but modders will likely have to create their own megatexture for any new maps. Probably won’t see a lot of that due to filesize.

Also for the texture complainers:

RAGE 1.2 Patch Release Notes
      ——————————————————————–
      This RAGE patch adds some new features and addresses various compatibility and performance issues.

New Functionality
      ————————
      Texture Detail: Enabling Texture Detail will improve up-close texture quality by performing upsampling with adaptive sharpening. This does not update or increase the resolution of the base textures included with the game but improves the perceived resolution and crispness of textures. This is an intensive operation and is only recommended if you have a quad-core CPU or higher.

• BobbinThreadbare

Can you play it co-op?

If not then it’s much worse than Borderlands, which I found awful single player and is only fun with friends.

• swaaye

Rage has 2 player coop.

• BobbinThreadbare

Thanks for the response, I never played it because it didn’t look interesting to me. Wouldn’t have played Borderlands either without my friends begging me to.

2 is still well short of 4, so I would guess Rage is that much worse.

• travbrad

[quote<]Rage wasn't any worse than borderlands, maybe better.[/quote<] That's a matter of opinion. For me RAGE was barely fun enough to play through once (even with its extremely short 7-8hour playtime), whereas I did 2 full playthroughs of Borderlands it was so much fun. RAGE was definitely a more impressive game technically, but it is seriously lacking the gameplay/fun department.

• l33t-g4m3r

Borderlands had too much repetitive grinding, so I’ve only played through that once, whereas I’ve played through Rage several times. The vehicles are more fun too.

• mcnasty72@gmail.com

While it is true that Rage was well received by “professional” reviewers, in truth it is a bad joke. The fact is that the USER reviews told the story. User reviews are written by normal people using there hard earned money to buy a title. USERS don’t get “free” copies of all up coming titles from a developer for favorable reviews. Rage was killed by the user community (4.6 Metacritic score). You seem not to understand that gaming reviewing magazines and websites are part of the “industry”. I recall a time when all PC games had playable demos before the title was released. But developers understood that if you give the PC community a early look at your crappy title, WE wouldn’t buy it when it came out. Now they don’t provide demo’s and leverage relationships with “professional” reviewers to convince you to “give it a try”. They are trying to kill word of mouth advertising knowing that gamers trust the opinions of other gamers above all.

• lilbuddhaman

[quote<]The engine may have modding potential, but modders will likely have to create their own megatexture for any new maps. Probably won't see a lot of that due to filesize. [/quote<] So you've never downloaded a Skyrim HD textures pack I take it?

• HunterZ

iD has mostly just been an engine developer since Quake, as has Epic since Unreal Tournament (an engine competitor to Quake 2).

Valve is really the only high-visibility company I can think of that is still making both good engines (Source) *and* good games that use those engines (HL2, TF2, L4D series, Portal series, etc.).

Now that iD and Bethesda are under the same roof, iD should make engines specifically for Bethesda to use for their sandbox RPG-FPS hybrids. That would be awesome IMO.

• BobbinThreadbare

I really enjoyed both Far Cry and Crysis.

Also, lots of people like Battlefield.

All of which are combo making an Engine and Game.

Also, hard to call Valve an engine maker when source is ancient.

• CaptTomato

Both excellent games.{FC and Crysis}

• travbrad

Those were pretty much my feelings about it as well. It’s a unique and potentially great engine, but the game itself wasn’t anything special, just another generic shooter.

• Arclight

Hence the mod tools. Even CS was a community mod, same as zombie mod which became Left4Dead. If someone can make good mods i can see it doing very well. They just need a catch.

• shaq_mobile

kinda reminds me of the rest of their “flagship” games. albeit, they actually tried with doom, quake and quake 3.

• mcnasty72@gmail.com

Please name one of these technical amazing moments sir. I played the entire game and I was amazed at how technically limiting it was (no SLI support for example). The drops in frame rate was unbearable while there wasn’t enough action on screen to justify it, (before you suggest my rig “couldn’t handle it I’m running I7 @4.7hz, 16GB RAM, and EVGA GTX 580 3GB Classy’s in SLI, with a 1200 watt power supply. Rage was a poorly developed console port that Carmack tried to turn into a money grab. The gaming market has passed iD by, the only PC developers worthy of any accolades are Blizzard & CD Projekt RED. All others treat the most power gaming platform in the world (the PC) as an after thought because the do not want to dedicate the time & resources required to produce a top notch game. Developing on console is the easy way out, they are the “fast food” of the gaming world.

• Scrotos

Meh. I keep forgetting that Rage was ever released. I didn’t even know about BFG, either. And this is from someone who’s involved in the modding scene for id engines. Just not getting excited about this stuff past the Doom 3 days.

• lilbuddhaman

Doom 3 bfg edition: Flashlight mod, brighter game overall even when not using flashlight, sometimes lower res textures than original game, meh all around. Or so I’ve read.

• HunterZ

I put down Doom3 the first time around (when it was new). Not sure why I’d be interested in revisiting it.