iOS loses tablet market share to Android

Strategy Analytics has crunched the global tablet shipment numbers for Q3, and they show a couple of interesting trends. First, the rate of growth has slowed dramatically since last year. Between the third quarters of 2010 and 2011, sales of "modern tablets" surged a whopping 289%. Q3 tablet sales rose only 43% from 2011 to 2012, though. That’s still an impressive growth rate, even if it doesn’t compare to the initial frenzy. The actual unit counts are substantial, too. Strategy Analytics says 24.7 million tablets shipped in the third quarter alone.

Most of those tablets were iPads, of course, but Apple’s grip on the market is slipping. The firm’s share of tablet shipments reportedly declined from 64.5% in Q3 last year to 56.7% for the same quarter in 2012. The loss comes at the hands of Android, which grew its share from 29.2% to 41.3% over the same period.

Budget tablets like Amazon’s Kindle Fire and Google’s Nexus 7 have surely contributed to Android’s growing popularity in the tablet world. No wonder Apple launched a low-cost iPad Mini to compete in that space. With prices starting at $329, though, the iPad Mini still costs quite a bit more than comparable offerings from Amazon and Google.

Microsoft’s share of the Q3 tablet pie was a measly 1.6%, a number that’s sure to increase as Windows 8 and Windows RT devices hit the market. I’m curious to see how research firms following the market will account for convertible tablets, which are in some ways fundamentally different from devices like the iPad.

• albundy

they run out of suckers already? thought apples marketing team was better than that. cheap@ss touchpad still running nice and strong on ICS!

• glynor

Shipped != Sold.

These analysts are… Untrustworthy and have their own motivations. They’re trying to sell market reports to companies that are trying to decide what products to build. They have a vested interest in hyping alternatives, and downplaying market leaders.

I’m not saying they’re all liars, but there are lots of “ands, ifs, and buts” that come with all these reports. All you have to do is look at the history of these things (especially in the video game and portable music player markets) to get a good sense of skepticism.

So… I guess I’d say this: Do I think the Nexus 7 (and to a lesser degree the Kindle Fire devices) have been successful products that have reduced Apple’s grip on the tablet market? Absolutely (and that’s a good thing). Do I think that 41.3 percent of all tablets that actually make it into customers’ hands (and stay there) are Android tablets?

Not from what I see. Not by a long shot.

• obarthelemy

I know of 7 tablets around me. 1iPad, 2 TouchPads, 5 Androids. YMMV.

• NeelyCam

Either you installed CM on [i<]one[/i<] of the TouchPads, or math fail. If not math fail, why not install CM on both?

Anecdotally, the iPad is way way more prevalent in the people around me. I know of 2 kindle fires, 6 iPads (including my office iPad), and then my wife and I both have stock Android 7″ tablets (A100, Nexus 7). But anecdotes are not valid statistics when compared to the world at large. Small sample sizes and all that.

• blastdoor

Not sure that it makes sense to include Amazon under the “Android” umbrella.

• nico1982

Why not? It does make way more sense than aggregating Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora and other Linux distros as just ‘Linux’ when looking at desktop OS market share. At the end of the day the most relevant difference is that Amazon locked out the Play Store.

Amazon has sold a not-trivial number of Kindle Fires and that would help blastdoor feel better about Apple’s position because that would increase the gap between it and Android. [url=https://techreport.com/news/23790/anthropologist-sees-religious-revival-in-apple-product-launches<]Apologetics and all that[/url<].

• blastdoor

God boys feelings are hurt. Boo hoo hoo.

• sweatshopking

geez, you guys can get kinda mean.

You’re the only one here trying to manipulate the actual statistics to make your god look better.

• moog

Agreed, all revenues go to Amazon. Technical aspects are moot.

• Spunjji

So all of those PCs out there running Windows haven’t been contributing to the Windows market share all this time?

DERP.

• designerfx

why wouldn’t you count an android device under the android umbrella?

not sure that it makes sense to post comments under the “crazy” umbrella.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]The firm's share of tablet shipments reportedly declined from 64.5% in Q3 last year to 56.7% for the same quarter in 2012.[/quote<] Simple reason: people were waiting to see what iPad Mini looks like. Let's take a look at this statistic again after Q4 and see how Apple marketshare will bounce back.

• Sam125

I’ll take that bet! =P

• NeelyCam

Are you sure you wanna do that? Note that they also released iPad 4 that’s 2x better in everything than anything before it..

• Game_boy

I’ll take it. The Mini doesn’t excite anyone at its current price, and as good as the iPad 4 is, people don’t wait up for it like they do iPhones.

• NeelyCam

I pity the fool who bets against Apple

• sweatshopking

[quote<] I pity the fool who bets against the Apple religious followings willingness to spend money [/quote<] ftfy

• yogibbear

IF Windows 8 tablets aren’t terrible… you might win it on “market share”… but not on total # shipped units.

• blastdoor

I wouldn’t be so quick to bet on this myself. Yes, Apple will benefit from updated iPad and the new mini. But I wonder if Amazon may benefit disproportionately from holiday gift giving. That’s because a Kindle Fire might seem like a great deal to someone who is buying a tablet but not actually using it themselves (grandpa figures — hey it’s cheaper, but it’s still a tablet, so what’s the diff? Little Jimmy won’t notice that it’s not an iPad, right?). I wonder if perhaps when people are spending their own money for their own device, they might prefer an iPad. So my guess is that Apple’s marketshare will look better in the first quarter of 2013 than in the fourth quarter of 2012.

• sschaem

I dont think Apple care about market share, well not the market sub <$200 market

As long as Apple grow it tablet market to the brim of its manufacturing capacity how can they do any better.

The main reason Apple grew its tablet business 30%, not as fast as amazon for example,
      is that amazon had no market share to begin with.

Also selling <$200 tablet is not that profitable. Amazon lost a quarter billion in the last 3 month.
      I think Apple can be in the tablet market for the long haul, I could see android players dropping off replaced by cheaper Chinese government backed manufacturers.

What matter to Apple is saturate manufacturing capacity, make the most profit per unit.
      Check & check.

And now they have a product to introduce to the 7″ market. Apple market share will skyrocket.
      Well it will go from 0% to possibly 20%. and capture 90% of the profit for that segment.
      Thats Apple secret sauce.

I think people are going to be flabbergasted at Apple hollyday season… Its not the first time Apple sandbagged its earning expectation. My take is that they do 54 billion in Q1, not 52 billion.

• Farting Bob

I think SOME people were following the latest apple rumours and waiting, but i think most ipad buyers were not. The “cheap” ipad mini will certainly boost sales numbers though, im sure there are plenty of spoiled kids out there who want an ipad for Christmas and will get one of the mini’s.

• Theolendras

Well I woundn’t be so sure, Android is much more competitive since ICS. iPad shipments of Apple will probably to have a nice increase, but the days of subpar experience on Android is over and Windows 8 is also sure to take some of the pie. So iPad share can do nothing but decrease.

• Arag0n

Even if Windows 8 can get only 5% of marketshare, that marketshare will come from iOS and Android… no other serious contenders so yeah, theres no way that the introduction of Windows 8 and Windows RT has no effect into Apple share… people seems to want to ignore that all the time. Windows 8 and RT have arrived at a good time for MS, Android just now started to get serious development for tablets, so yeah, they are late, but not as late as they were for WP7. Both Android and iOS were mature, but this time only iOS is mature, Android is still on it’s infancy for Tablets.

• Arag0n

That’s why Amazon had the best day ever since the release of the new Kindle Fire after the iPad Mini was announced… because people saw an amazing device and value buying an iPad Mini…

• dtanderson

It is not going to bounce back. Amazon said Kindle got a surge after Apple announce the iPad Mini. Alot of people that were looking to get a tablet were holding off for Apple’s announcement but after seeing that it was not such a big deal went out and purchased up Android tablets instead of the overpriced/over-hyped iPad Mini 🙂 Apple is going to continue to loose share in the tablet market just like they are loosing share in the phone market.

• sschaem

Those type of numbers are impressive, without context.

“Did you know that the fastest growing sport in Zimbabwe is downhill slalom ?
    Their membership doubled in 2012, no other sport, not even soccer, compares.
    At that rate some people close to the matter predict that soccer is a dead sport.
    The country went from 1 member to 2….”

WallSreet like tell the first part of the joke, or the second.. depending on what they want the truth to be.

Here for example you need to look at segments. The 7″ and 10″ segment for one.
    How many of those tablets where $199 7″ models?

Anyway you spin this : Apple grew its tablet market 30% YoY

The number that matter is , how much of the 10″ market Apple had then and now,
    this might be more telling. My guess is that would show Apple gaining ground.

The fact that android need to sale 7″ tablet are razor thin margin to compete is a sign of apple ever growing dominance. Lets look at the whole picture and not claim victory over the evil empire just yet….

• sweatshopking

yep

• DancinJack

Also it’s been leaked the supposed Nexus 10 by Samsung is going to released soon. Apparently running a dual core A15 Exynos 5. Too bad the price will be too high.

• ratte

The Nexus supposedly looks like this:

[url<]http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/26/say-hello-to-the-nexus-10-first-photos-emerge/[/url<] Varning: you may need to have an eyerinse ready....

• DancinJack

Yeah I saw it. Not incredibly attractive.

wow is that an understatement. lol

• Shouefref

I suppose it will look like a rectangle with a screen in it and a few buttons around it.
        I can’t seen picturs of tablets/computers are very exciting.

• sweatshopking

looks like typical samsung crap. i say this as a samsung owner. they make decent tv’s and washing machines, even their laptops. But damn, they make crappy phone and tablet hardware.

• Spunjji

Oh no! My eyes!…… oh wait, no, it looks like a tablet. Given that it’s not allowed by law to look anything like an iPad, I think they did OK.

• nicktrance

Actually price will probably be very low compared to competing products. Google always sells Nexus devices at no profit or a loss and then makes money through their services. As opposed to Apple making massive profits off their devices and even more from the app store.

While I think in general that’s true, I think the price will be higher than you think because it’s a brand new SoC that Samsung needs to get something out of.

• DancinJack

I don’t know about the SoC so much as the screen being the driving force in the price.

Yeah, that’s true – it’s rumored to have quite the high-resolution display. I think you hit the point of diminishing returns long before that, though.

• Shambles

With three viable tablet platforms now out the door it will be interesting to see how fluid the market will be for the next 12 months. All this competition is a win/win for us.

• xii

Could be more win/win though with an open platform, one that doesn’t need to be rooted or jailbroken and doesn’t try to push an app or media store as it’s prime purpose. I hope there’s room for a serious open-source tablet platform.

So you’re asking for a platform with Windows 98-style security and nowhere to get apps? I’m a run far away.

• ludi

Already exists, and it’s called “WebOS”. Anyone who wants the orphan is welcome to have it.

• Sam125

I read this on a few other tech sites yesterday. The market is growing for everyone but it’s growing faster for Android than it is for Apple. It’s kind of a win-win situation for everyone at this point considering that Android platforms make up more than just one device manufacturer. Although I suspect that Samsung and Asus hold most of the Android pie.

I think there are probably 3 makers at the top, as you’re missing Amazon. Most likely, the Kindle Fire family is being counted in the “Android” column even though it’s running a very heavily customized OS (by default). At least they forked ICS for the second generation.

• Sam125

Why would you include the Kindle Fire as an Android device? I mean, yeah technically it is Android but it’s pretty clear the Kindle only exists to further Amazon’s ebook business.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about the Kindle Fire as I’d only be interested in an e-ink reader and not a book reader with an active powered display.

I am not saying that I consider it an Android device, I just think it’s being tallied in these results as Android.