Hawken trailers detail mech configuration, combat

Hawken, the first-person mech game with shades of Mechwarrior and Shogo, is currently being tested in a closed beta. If you’re not one of the lucky few with beta access, you can still get a taste of the game through a couple of new Basic Training videos. The first trailer explores the garage interface used to buy and equip your mech, while the second details the combat mechanics.

The customization options look interesting, and I’m intrigued by the combat. It’s been a while since I piloted a mechanized giant loaded with guns. Seeing the combat explained with references to keys rather than controller buttons makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, too. The bindings better be adjustable.

Oh, did I mention that Hawken will be free to play? You won’t have to pay a dime for the game when it’s released for the PC on December 12. There will be freemium options for folks who want to shell out for in-game goodies, I’m sure, but let’s hope players won’t be able to buy their way into dominating the battlefield. Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the tip.

• puppetworx

>regenerating “fuel”
    >unlimited ammo
    >”press c to heal yourself”
    >2012
    ISHYGDDT

• Meadows

What’s wrong with that? Sounds like any of the other pick-up-and-play multiplayer [s<]series of explosions[/s<] games.

• Vasilyfav

All these pay to win games are becoming boring.
    LoL, MWO, World of Tanks, and now this ‘Hawken’, which is a total copy of MWO. I swear I saw a Clan Vulture in the trailer.

Hence why I’m sticking to DotA 2. Yeah, there are some asses in the community, but I far prefer them to people who prefer to win with their credit cards instead of brain.

• HallsMint

I’se be Hawken a loogie

• Meadows

My oh my, the last time I piloted a mech (or should I say HERC) was in Earthsiege 2 in the 90’s.

• sweatshopking

maybe late nighties. you’re like 18 years old.

• Meadows

Nonsense, sweatshopking!

• Bensam123

I got in the alpha and didn’t play it in time, first beta this weekend and still haven’t played it as I was busy. I really need to take a look at this. It’s not under NDA anymore either. :s

• lilbuddhaman

[quote<] Oh, did I mention that Hawken will be free to play? You won't have to [/quote<] bother checking out this title, it's going to be P2W nonsense.

• Bensam123

Any proof as to why this is true? I read some developer commentary that said they’re staying away from that.

• travbrad

As far as I can tell there’s nothing you can buy with money that you can’t get with currency earned in-game, other than cosmetic changes which don’t have any effect on gameplay. Of course it’s a lot more time consuming to gain the game currency than to just buy stuff with real money, which you’d expect otherwise there would be no incentive to pay real money for anything.

I think a lot of people who scream “PAY 2 WIN!!” for every F2P game just aren’t very good so they have to come up with a reason to justify being bad, similar to accusing everyone of “hacking”.

• Sargent Duck

I played Age of Empires online and they had something similar. By forking over your credit card you could access new statues that made your city look nicer and you could also get some upgrades (for example, in the bronze age villagers could harvest 10% more) or a slightly enhanced weapon (which you’d get eventually once you upgraded your experience levels enough).

I was able to have a fun time without buying anything.

• AlvinTheNerd

Most developers do try to stay away from that. However, it is difficult and always tempting to go to P2W.

If the game becomes a success and generates adequate revenue, its possible and better in the long run to put in the effort to stay away from P2W either by creating really unique items that people will pay for but don’t give any competitive advantage or by working the system and making sure that any paid option has a way to counter it with free options. Or, at the least, put in a way to gain that item without paying.

However, if the game isn’t doing well, it is far easier to set up a P2W system to make money. It will ruin the game in the long run, but it cashes out what the developer has put into the game. It is also always tempting for bean counters to force this option to increase revenue and improve the current quarterly results.

If you get angry at games becoming P2W after you invested your time, I would stay away from all new F2P until they gain a wide following or go into it with the understanding that it will be a 15 hour game that you enjoy for awhile and then more on.

• albundy

too bad there’s no story line or single player mode, no boss levels. you just infinitely shoot at each other. its a copy of the freemium MMO Mechwarrior online. it’s free, but you have to shell out 10 times more to buy “points” to upgrade than what you would pay for an on the shelf game in a store. free means instant kill by those that have financial investments in the game. i’m not wasting my bandwidth. my ADD and boredom kicked in after an hour on Mechwarrior online, and i uninstalled. at least hawken has buildings and terrain unlike mwo.

• thesmileman

I am 100% with you on the frustration there is not single player game. But I disagree that they are the same. I have played both and they are very different thought I got board with both after an hour or two and couldn’t bother spending much more time with them.

• travbrad

[quote<]I have played both and they are very different [/quote<] Yeah about the only thing they have in common is that both feature mechs shooting at each other. MWO is a much slower paced game with more detailed loadout customization, whereas Hawken plays more like a twitch shooter with some moderate customization options. On paper I'd enjoy MWO more, but it feels underdeveloped and not reaching it's potential. It's been in beta for many months and it feels like they've added almost nothing in terms of maps/modes. There is still too much lag/rubberbanding which makes the lighter speed-based mechs less fun than they should be. It also gets lower framerates than BF3 while not having particularly good graphics. I'm having a lot more fun with Hawken. It has much more interesting game modes, and already feels more polished than MWO despite only being in Beta for a couple days. The little auxillary tools (EMP pulse, grenades, shields, etc) and ability to repair yourself (leaving you vulnerable) add an interesting dynamic as well. It also runs pretty smooth both in terms of framerates and lag, with pretty good graphics. Both games need A LOT more maps though, and I'm not sure how much longevity either of them will really have either. The publisher of Hawken claims they will have 10 million active players which I find laughable.

• Sargent Duck

This game looks super fun, but I might really really miss my PPC’s.

Grab me a Dashai, slap on 4 Clan ER PPC’s and all the heat sinks I could cram in. Then go to town : )

• Scrotos

Pfft. Now swap those out for 4 UltraAC/20’s and you got somethin’. Sure, might burn through ammo quickly, but it’ll burn through anything else quickly, too!

• Bensam123

Woaw, someones been severely conditioned by MMORPGs.

So, you’ve played Hawken and you know you need bought points to actually upgrade your mech?

• travbrad

[quote<]too bad there's no story line or single player mode, no boss levels. you just infinitely shoot at each other.[/quote<] You could say that about some of the best FPSs ever made (Battlefield 1942/BF2, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, L4D, Quake, UT, etc) so that in itself doesn't necessarily make a game bad. MWO and Hawken definitely aren't some of "the best" though I agree on that. 🙂

• kvndoom

Nice that people remember Shogo. Such a fun game! I don’t think I beat it though… didn’t you have to fight the last boss in human form while he was in his mech? I seem to remember getting stepped on repeatedly.

• bjm

Ah, yes, I remember when I first fought him, he got stuck somehow and blasted him away then I beat it. But when I tried again, and somehow kept getting stepped on again and again and I wasn’t able to figure out how to get him stuck again. Shogo was awesome!

Anyway, this Hawken game looks great.