Latest Windows Phone 8 ad features Steve Ballmer

Steve Ballmer has kind of a history with ads. There was that famous Windows 1.0 ad, in which he donned a used car salesman outfit and… well, you know the rest. Ballmer went for an encore when Windows XP came out, pimping that OS with even greater fervor.

Now, with Windows Phone 8, Steve Ballmer is showing us his kindler, gentler side. The latest ad for the new mobile OS has Microsoft’s CEO walking us through his (allegedly) personal Windows Phone 8 home screen:

I miss the checkered suit and overenthusiastic yelling, but I like this new concept. It’s not everyday you see a CEO publicly vouching for his company’s product in a way that’s both personal and relatable. (Then again, maybe the golf part is little too "1%" for some folks.)

Ballmer isn’t going at it alone, of course. Showcasing Windows Phone 8’s customizable tiled home screen lies at the heart of Microsoft’s advertising push. The whole idea seems to be highlighting individuality and making users feel like their prefab iOS and Android home screens aren’t good enough. The longer, more professional ad on the new Windows Phone website drives that point home, emphasizing people as individuals who deserve and benefit from a tailored device.

It does feel a little superficial, though. Moving and resizing tiles may be nice, but it doesn’t fundamentally alter the behavior of a phone. Configurable tile colors are also a pretty low-tech substitute for photo wallpapers, which don’t seem to be on the menu with Windows Phone 8. Of course, Microsoft doesn’t have a whole lot else to go on here. Windows Phone 8 has a much smaller app library than its competitors, and it’s probably too early to play up the integration with Windows 8.

• Krogoth

Cyril, you forgot this gem.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE[/url<]

• Meadows

What does this have to do with ads?

• Duck

You dun goof’d.

• ludi

Overheard in a board room:

“Hey, know what would make our mobile device ads a lot more personable and generate a following?”

“I’m afraid you’re going to tell us.”

“More Steve!”

“More Steve?”

“Hey, it worked for Apple.”

“Uh…you know that their Steve was somewhat different than our Steve.”

“Meh. Give it the old college try. It’s not like he hasn’t done this before.”

• MadManOriginal

Overheard outside the boardroom moments earlier:

*chair crashing against the wall*

• ColeLT1

I love the old Microsoft internal Ballmer joke ads, although there are quite a few of them, I wish he would make one just like this for every release.

P.S. It’s amazing how many people out there on the intertubes think these are “real” ads. 😛

• sweatshopking

IT’S LIKE A DREAM COME TRUE!!! I FEEL LIKE HE’S TALKING TO ME!! SOOO ROMANTIC

• MadManOriginal

The third picture on the right at 0:28 is you isn’t it?!

• sweatshopking

maybe…

• Arclight

Have you been warned by the admin yet?

[quote<]13.) Although we welcome the participation of representatives from industry firms, stealth viral marketing activities are strictly prohibited here. Participants who are employed in the PC hardware industry, either directly or via an arrangement with a third party, must disclose their affiliations up front, either in a public post, a note in their signature, or both. Note that "employed" in this context extends to those who are compensated in the form of product samples, attention, and other means. If you engage in stealth viral marketing activity, you may be banned, and you also immediately forfeit your protection under the TR privacy policy. You have been warned.[/quote<]

• MadManOriginal

I don’t think ‘delusions of grandeur’ fall under the ‘other means’ type of compensation.

• sweatshopking

i wish they did…. then my wife would get off my back about getting no compensation 🙁

• SetiroN

poor nokia.

• dashbarron

Wait, why Poor Nokia? M$ lists their phone on their site?

It’s an HTC phone in the commercial.

• moog

I like how they highlight you and your windows phone and how you can customize it.

Meh, pre windows 8, and there’s 120K apps, not too shabby.

• ermo

Well, since the other Steve is dead and buried, I guess “Steve’s phone” is unambiguous now…

I actually really like this ad. It’s all like “hey your home screen is useful, check it out” and I’m all like “OK that’s pretty neat”. Unlike the Surface ads ripped from the pages of a “Glee” script, it actually shows how you might use it.

• lilbuddhaman

Exactly. And that’s my problem as a whole with Win8. It’s a great platform / UI for phones and tablets, I’m actually considering purchasing a Win8 phone. But for a laptop or desktop? Burn. It. With. Fire.

On the contrary, the landing point – the Start screen – is equally useful on my desktop. I wake up my PC in the morning after my shower and I see the forecast and news headlines without even opening an app. I tell it once the kinds of stuff I want to see and it shows it to me. how is that NOT helpful?

• Washer

Desktop widgets didn’t provide the similar functionality?

Sure they did. Unifying them with the Start menu/screen was the next logical step.

• lilbuddhaman

So they should have made a hybrid design of the two. I’d live with the left (or whatever edge) 30% of my screen being metro-like, with 3 large rectangles (which could be subdivided as smaller squares if wanted), having these mega-widgets; while the rest of the screen being a standard desktop. Users could then drag it left to shrink it down to the old start menu, or right to expand it out to a full screen (or larger than 1/3) Metro interface.

• MadManOriginal

MS killed those unfortunately…you can’t even get the stock MS gadgets for Vista or 7 from them any more. Supposedly due to security issues but they said that was only for third party ones, I think they just didn’t want to bother with their own any more.

• nicktrance

Nokia is not going to be happy…

• pedro

I reckon he’ll revert to Epic Ballmer for the Windows 9 ads.

(At least I hope so.)

• MadManOriginal

Me too…I am hoping for full Monkey Boy Ballmer!

• dpaus

Well…….

It [i<]is[/i<] Halloween...

• Meadows

I can’t decide [b<][i<]which[/i<][/b<] of the two linked ads is worse.

• Arclight

[quote<]Now, with Windows Phone 8, Steve Ballmer is showing us his kindler, gentler side.[/quote<] Pretty sure it's "kinder" unless he somehow bursts into flames. Come to think of it i hope it's really kindler.

• ermo

A most excellent troll.

• Meadows

Gotta love Cyril’s spelling. Great guy.